Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 311

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 224944 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #1155 on: December 03, 2020, 05:47:09 am »

Ask Sessha what adventurers usually do when they want to raid underwater caves or shipwrecks. Ask witch if she can cast water breathing spells. Ask tinkerer if he can craft water breathing apparatus. Ask bearded guy with hammer how long he can hold his breath for.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 03, 2020, 06:18:25 am »

Ask Sessha what adventurers usually do when they want to raid underwater caves or shipwrecks. Ask witch if she can cast water breathing spells. Ask tinkerer if he can craft water breathing apparatus. Ask bearded guy with hammer how long he can hold his breath for.
+1
+1
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 03, 2020, 11:31:09 pm »

Sessha isn't sure.  As it turns out, she has never raided an underwater cavern before.  Apparently there aren't too many assassination missions where you need to kill something that lives underwater.  "Although, there was that one time..  never mind."

Hat witch says no for water breathing spells, but there is a water breathing curse.. once hit by it, you have to breathe water until it wears off.  It's almost disturbingly effective if you don't resist it, she says.

The tinker says sure, and asks if you want a diving bell or some kinda air tank thingy, just wait a few days and he can whip up something.

Big guy actually can't swim at all.  Huh.

Anything else?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 03, 2020, 11:45:02 pm »

Ask the witch if she knows any cantrips that might help someone "scan" the lake in order to locate the underwater cave.  Ask her how long the curse lasts.  Also, the lake is pretty deep... if we descend or ascend too quickly, we could suffer from the bends.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 04, 2020, 12:01:45 am »

Air tank thingy! We're not just here to sightsee, we're here to ADVENTURE!

Also we should help the tinker tinker. Because us and Willis are known for being very trustworthy around sensitive tools. Clearly.

...we may also want to look into light sources for underwater. Some kind of magic glowy stones?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 04, 2020, 12:40:09 am »

I feel like something mechanical could be more prone to failure, especially since this doesn't really seem to be an advanced society.  I think the curse would be a safer bet.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 04, 2020, 01:18:07 am »

"An air tank?  Give me three days and money up front and we're good.  A half-hour sound like it'll last long enough for you?"

Ask her how long the curse lasts.
"Two minutes, thirty seconds if you're trying to resist and it lands anyway.  Twenty-five minutes if you cast it voluntarily."

we may also want to look into light sources for underwater. Some kind of magic glowy stones?

You're set this way.  Glowstones have your back there.

Sessha says you've got enough to afford the air tank, but it might cut into the amount you have for the next round of upgrades.

Ask the witch if she knows any cantrips that might help someone "scan" the lake in order to locate the underwater cave

Uncle (the world's foremost expert on magical detection) is already working on something to try and locate the cave, from knowing it's got something related to you and water.  He hasn't figured out anything yet, but he's working on it.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 04, 2020, 02:18:43 am »

Just to make sure, is this curse something that the witch is capable of casting?  If so, what sort of payment is she expecting?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:54 am »

Yup.  And she'll give you a freebie, assuming you don't want more than two a day.  She lives here, so should be around for the next few days.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 04, 2020, 02:41:37 am »

If we do go the curse route, I think we should test it on Trence first to see if it works the full 25 minutes.  His divine protection might prevent it from working.  Another issue could be that there might be dry parts to the cave system.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:21:41 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 04, 2020, 07:38:18 am »

With the air tank we have 15 minutes to get to the cave and back, but we can explore it as long as we like, and with the curse we only have 12 and a half minutes to to get there and back but we can't explore the cave as there isn't water in it.

With all that in mind I think the air tank is our best bet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 04, 2020, 02:31:22 pm »

I'll second the air tank. Aside from everything else mentioned, Trence and Willis would just find it cooler, especially if they get to help or watch build it. :P

Plus, if all goes well we should get to keep the gear once we're finished here. Who knows when we'll find a secret underwater section accessible only after completing this sidequest?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 04, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »

On second thought, the air tank does seem like the better option.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:55 pm »

You pay the tinker, (about one upgrade's worth), and basically refuse to leave as you watch the item take shape.  Sessha heads out, to do something, and basically just leaves it between the tinker and the two of you to discover what went on.

This is slightly disappointing when you get to just watch someone bang metal for an hour or so, while talking about obscure tinker politics.  Blah blah blah..

..eventually you run out of cool stuff to look at, (Where are the gearwheels?  Where are the bubbling potions?  Where are the inexplicably flaming metalworking torches.) and head out of the tinker's small shop, out into the night air.

As promised, it takes three days, and at the end of it you've shattered a set of metal shutters on someone's house, caught a chicken, set a pig on fire, picked a fight with Stinky, the local Top Kid, and did a footrace around the lake.  The road orcs have been taken out by a couple parties of locals, and Sessha has been visiting the witch for purposes unknown.  Uncle is still tinkering with his own thaumulator, so you mostly leave him alone so as to not feel icky.

It's rubber and metal, and it's nothing more than a big tank of air hooked up to some kinda backpack thing, with a fancy iron helmet that covers your entire head.  Putting it on, it uses one of your accessory slots, and it's tight around your shoulders, with some sort of odd rubber thing that just grips right down on them.

It's also really awkward, you think it'll hamper your ability to fight like this.

...  You're also not sure how it'll function if you turn into a creature while using this.

Anyway, you go over the big gauge and the safety rules for how you can do this and not die.  It seems that there's some magic in it so that you won't need to worry about depths, up until about two hundred feet where it'll just stop working all of a sudden.  Depth is another big gauge... and the lake is more than 200 feet deep, but hopefully you won't have to go all the way to the bottom.

Filling it back up takes a while.  You just leave it in the air and unscrew it and it'll fill itself automatically over the course of several hours.

I suppose there's nothing more to it other than to get going.

To be continued, unless there's more questions or other stuff to do.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 04, 2020, 09:51:10 pm »

...  You're also not sure how it'll function if you turn into a creature while using this.

Then try it and find out, dummy!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 311