Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 310

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 222807 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #2250 on: September 16, 2021, 07:16:59 pm »

Hmm... Thirty people. Could this be a situation where Counter! Is optimal? Counter, rapid fire and daggers might be enough as long as the mob turns and attacks us.

Unless of course we want to have Trence transform and AoE the crowd. In that case, it might be sensible to have Sessha backstab the monk.
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: September 17, 2021, 01:43:44 am »

This doesn't seem so bad.  We've got a physical opponent vulnerable to physical attacks, with two strong physical attackers.  The mob's big, though.

Sessha: cast ArmorYou on Willis (giving everyone a defensive buff), then use backstab.  The boys wait.  If I understand correctly, Sessha's backstab will trigger on the first turn of the next round; when it does, Willis uses Rapid Fire on the crowd, and Trence uses Double strike on the monk (if he's not dead from the backstab, double strike crowd if so).  Sessha uses her second action to flurry of daggers on the crowd.

I thought of counter too, but as I wrote this up I decided against.  Flurry of daggers is a better AoE than counter here, because it should hit the entire group, while counter only hits 50%.  It's also in combo with Willis' rapid fire, and poisoned, so stands a good chance of taking out a fair chunk of enemies--before they deal damage.  Counter only kills things after they hit Trence.  On top of that, Trence's double strike should be more powerful than Sessha's basic attack.  I suspect we'll still eat a hit from the monk, but we've got a defense buff, and we should be able to mop up everything in round two easily enough.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: September 17, 2021, 02:25:26 am »

Do note that in situations like this 'hit all' may not hit everyone.. there are a lot of targets.  Same with 'hits all in a group'.  Those excellent rolls meant Willis and Sessha were able to hit a great many targets with their abilities.. Willis hitting the entire group, and Sessha hitting all the survivors, twice.

Counter will hit everyone who attacks Trence, regardless of how many people that is.  As long as they're melee.

Backstab does work that way, although giving up a turn is necessary to make it work like that.

As for this group, you think hitting everyone with a hit-all ability will be difficult but very possible, but hitting everyone with a hits-group ability is dubious.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:29:05 am by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: September 17, 2021, 04:22:12 am »

Still sounds like a good plan to me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: September 17, 2021, 07:35:40 am »

It'd be more reasonable to use counter instead of double strike, then.  I kinda want to focus the monk down; if we leave only a few mooks standing they're likely to just flee, but the monk seems like a proper unit in his own right.  Which is better really depends on just how strong the monk is, and how strong the crowd is... Trence could very likely remove half the crowd with one counter.

...I am very close to switching my vote, but I have one last thing to point out.  Sessha has lethal poison on her daggers, which the monk is resistant to, but the mooks are not.  Any mook she tags with flurry should go down eventually even if we leave.  I think.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: September 18, 2021, 05:10:22 pm »

(So go with the bold text?)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: September 18, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »

I think we should focus on taking out the crowd first - especially as we'll be using physical damage to do it, which will soften the monk up nicely. Taking out the monk on their own will probably take two turns at most, so it's not a huge issue if they're left standing.

I'd advise going into combat with the following:

Trence uses Counter!
Willis uses Rapid Fire!
Sessha uses Armor You on Willis and Flurry of Daggers!

I'd be ok with Sessha prepping a backstab on the monk, if people think that's better, but I'm a fan of Trence using counter and not wasting time here. We have potions and this is for keeps. I'd also like to point out that Trence attacking the monk directly might be less than optimal as he's partly doing wind damage with the greatsword - even double strike will be substantially weakened by the monk's defences.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: September 18, 2021, 11:43:23 pm »

Trence uses Counter!
Willis uses Rapid Fire!

+1

I'd rather not wait a turn for Things to Happen.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: September 19, 2021, 02:50:37 am »

Trence uses Counter!
Willis uses Rapid Fire!

+1

I'd rather not wait a turn for Things to Happen.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: September 19, 2021, 05:45:50 am »

Trence uses Counter!
Willis uses Rapid Fire!

(9)(11)(5)

You run up and try to get the crowd's attention with a loud whistle, after taking up a combat stance.

There are many takers.

(Series of surprisingly high rolls)

Trence takes 71 damage!  He manages to drop three people, and wound almost a dozen more with counterattacks.

Sessha and Willis both attack the large mob, Willis raining down arrows and hitting nearly everyone, and Sessha mostly limiting herself to the people in front of, and around, Trence.  A couple more people are dropped, but most of the crowd is intact.

The monk you saw was not among them, taking an arrow but not a dagger or a counter strike.  The mob leader does become apparent at this point, not the monk, but a standard buffing cleric at the back, who hits about a dozen people with a group heal, largely negating their wounds.

Encounter Start!

Two groups of Mob Members, A and B.  The first group seems a bit ranged and caster heavy, while the second group seems to have heavier armour.  There are 6-8 people in each group.

There is a third group that's still near the building gate.  This one includes the monk you noticed earlier.

The mob leader is present, and seperate.  She's a Concordat cleric, but is wearing undecorated robes.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: September 20, 2021, 03:28:27 am »

Should we kill off the cleric or the groups of randos first?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:20 am »

Should we kill off the cleric or the groups of randos first?
Depends if we think we can get the casters/ranged out of the way in a turn or so - otherwise the cleric will just heal them back. Unless we're willing to transform or use a mana potion on Willis, I think we should go Cleric -> Group A -> Group B.

We should probably heal Trence - not sure which heal would be the best idea.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: September 20, 2021, 06:58:19 am »

...This is time to use dragon form.  We have four separate targetable groups (A, B, MonkGroup, Cleric) and no other source of hitall.  We're chiefly interested in making this go more quickly, and hitgroup attacks will probably take at least two per group.  Especially with the cleric.

Trence goes Ice+Water dragon.  Blade might buff breath, but costs as much as another breath altogether.
Willis uses a normal potion on Trence.  Or himself.  Doesn't really matter.  He has no good actions when out of mana.
Sessha uses a hasted backstab on that cleric, which I really want to see.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: September 20, 2021, 12:36:37 pm »

Three groups.  Until they enter the battle, nothing you can do can hit the unengaged MonkGroup.

Also, Sessha may be hasted, but backstab hits next turn, so she'll have a second action this turn.

Lastly, all the enemies are wounded, with the melee ones more wounded.  Some are tougher than others, but they've all taken damage.

(And Willis should be tired, but eh, I'll ignore that.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: September 20, 2021, 01:41:11 pm »

...This is time to use dragon form.  We have four separate targetable groups (A, B, MonkGroup, Cleric) and no other source of hitall.  We're chiefly interested in making this go more quickly, and hitgroup attacks will probably take at least two per group.  Especially with the cleric.

Trence goes Ice+Water dragon.  Blade might buff breath, but costs as much as another breath altogether.
Willis uses a normal potion on Trence.  Or himself.  Doesn't really matter.  He has no good actions when out of mana.
Sessha uses a hasted backstab on that cleric, which I really want to see.
+1

Maybe we should have waited a turn for backstab at the start after all.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 310