Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 309

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 222291 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #2955 on: June 30, 2022, 04:07:40 am »

Why was she released?  Were the concordat prisoners ransomed off?

What is Concordat dogma like?  I guess we should probably just know more of this, considering how important they are in general, but having a paladin explain it should be interesting.

Does she have any ideas of why they're hunting Trence, or was it never really explained beyond "monster kid"?

She sounds kinda inexperienced for our group.  Pretty much has one deployment with a bit over a dozen combat jobs, and then vacation plus being taken out by a trap in the siege.  Hopefully their training was quite good.
+1 I'm sure we can make her worm in the group.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: June 30, 2022, 05:49:11 am »

"Why'd they let you go?  I thought they ransomed prisoners off."

"Ransom's not common when it's at the state level.  If Tulia wants money, they'll write up some kind of ultimatum and make a big demand.  Then the Isle Perilous can accept it or not.  If they don't, I expect every trader out of that country is gonna be hit up for cash about forever.  Pretty much all their goods and buildings will probably be forfeit too."

"Yeah, but that doesn't cover you."

"They don't really want to hold on to too many prisoners.  I'm fairly high level, but not someone really important.  Plus Sessha bailed me out.. she hauled me off to this local temple of Klamati, verified my story, and they agreed to let me go so long as I agreed to leave with you.  I gave up my armour and most of my equipment, too."

"And I can't go back, not really.  The Concordat is usually pretty forgiving, but I don't think they'll forgive this.  I'll have to get some godly protection from someone else if we're going to the island."

(What's the dogma?)

"So the current organization was founded by a man known commonly as Brazen Charlie, who refounded the order on the mainland.."

Outside of being significantly more salacious of a founding myth than you thought, with a lot of rather questionable characters around the early church, it isn't anything that special.  There's several sub organizations handling commerce, negotiations, judges, protections, etcetera.  The gist of it, though, is that the Concordat is headed up by the "Lords of the Concordat", instead of any one god.  So more like some kinda collective of 12 demigods or strong spirits or something.  And apparently they're supposed to be around in some kind of physical form, but they aren't normally seen by most members.  Direct communications comes though the usual temple spells and prayer messages.  Alice hasn't actually seen them herself.

Also, it's pretty old.  The current organization was supposedly re-founded in the post Trisamore period, when the current records start.  There are older rumors, but no hard information.

"Do you know why they're after me?"

"I was down in Tulia when all this started, and never got to find out directly.  No, I don't know the exact details.  Conway, the head of the order of paladins, told me that we were after the most dangerous thing in the world and you absolutely had to be killed.  Conway wouldn't give me a straight answer beyond that, but there was a lot of fear there.

I'm sure there's some reason there, just..  I don't see it, and this invasion.. it's like a dream in some ways, an alternate universe.  The Concordat shouldn't be doing this.  You seem pretty dangerous but not that dangerous.  I've fought a Greater Stoneshifter once, and that looked a lot worse."

(How experienced are you?)

"I made level 12, just like you.  I've done dozens of combat missions around Valterre.  And I spent years down in lowland Tulia, and although that wasn't all hot fighting, it wasn't just an invitation to sit around and sip tea."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: July 01, 2022, 12:59:30 am »

Does the horse have levels, and does it fight on its own?

Why did bail her out?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: July 01, 2022, 01:13:37 am »

"Does the horse have levels, and does it fight on its own?"

Alice hasn't really considered that one.

"No, not as we understand levels.  Talent does have a statline and can theoretically fight either alone or in a party, but a trained warhorse is only about as strong as a couple goblins.  If I added some heavy barding it'd help a little, but even with powerful plate barding Talent would be about as good as a fourth level adventurer."

"Sessha, why did you bail Alice out?"

"We really need a fourth member, if we're gonna fight the four swords, and Klamati suggested her.

..I did get a favor out of that geas."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: July 01, 2022, 03:02:24 am »

Only a level 4 guess that's better than nothing, wonder if there's anything we could do to make that number higher?

What kinds of magic goes Alice know, also do we know what happens if a paladin changes their god and are there any advantages to being an unaligned paladin?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: July 01, 2022, 03:51:43 am »

Hey! What if she pledged herself to the chaos god that we had the chaos knuckles from?

I bet everyone would love to meet a blaster mage, an avatar of poison, an assassin and a chaos paladin.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: July 01, 2022, 04:55:47 am »

(What kind of spells?)

"Other than that, I can heal people, can radiate a regeneration aura, and I have a decent lightning spell.  I also have a number of mounted combat skills, mostly based around blocking attacks or doing area trample damage."

(An exact list will wait until combat.)

"What happens when a Paladin changes gods?"

"With Paladins, it's called renouncing, and it's basically awful.  You lose all your paladin-related skills, you lose any god-granted bonuses, and there can be some general smite-related issues at some point.  Further, being a lost paladin means it's much harder to get accepted by another god.  There's no advantages to being an unaligned Paladin, and most of them will drift into a new class after some time."

(Chaos God)

"Could you describe a bit more detail about where you found that and what was going on?"

Uhh..

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: July 01, 2022, 05:40:09 am »

"There was an altar..."

"And some chickens."

"And it took our weapon!"

"And a potion."

"But we had to use a chicken to finish it."

"And then it gave us the knuckles and a spell."

Explain clearly and precisely, perhaps with Sessha's help. Doesn't this sound like the kind of god that would take an unaligned paladin?
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: July 01, 2022, 01:23:19 pm »

I would support chaos paladin and syv might as well.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: July 01, 2022, 09:47:28 pm »

Explain clearly and precisely, perhaps with Sessha's help. Doesn't this sound like the kind of god that would take an unaligned paladin?

You do your best to mention the chicken, but there is one outstanding issue.

Sessha never saw that altar herself.  It was just you two kids.

As such, you aren't able to explain enough about the altar to let Alice identify it.  Apparently chickens aren't that unique in various god-related situations.

Still, an old abandoned altar like that does sound like just the ticket.  As long as it doesn't turn out to be Ingol, the god of torture and torment for whom worship is a long-term experiment in pain, pretty much anything will do.

Maybe Sessha did have a point when she suggested you not dedicate yourself to any unknown god.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 02, 2022, 12:56:14 am »

Maybe Sessha did have a point when she suggested you not dedicate yourself to any unknown god.
But if we find out who the god is they won't be unknown anymore.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 02, 2022, 04:18:12 pm »

So I found out about the possibility of cenobite paladin in the same post as it's established as off-limits. Sad!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: July 02, 2022, 07:17:05 pm »

"Farflame..

..Farflame doesn't really do paladins.  If you dedicate yourself to Farflame you get nothing.  No benefits, no bonuses, no skills, nothing.  And the way you show your devotion is by doing a divination and finding out what you should wear, so that's a bit strange.

It's still a possibility.  And I think I'll really need divine protection, so a pretty good possibility.  But devoting oneself to Farflame is about accepting a lack of certainty.  I might get the help, but I won't ever know for sure if I've got it.  What you've got with Farflame, Trence, is something unique, something I've never heard of before."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: July 03, 2022, 02:37:50 am »

Does Alice have any gods she'd be interested dedicated to that we haven't talked about.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 309