Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 311

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 225188 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2020, 08:26:00 pm »

Trence uses Power Slash!

The Frankenstein is wounded!

Willis uses Shoot!

The Frankenstein is scratched!

Sessha uses Healmore on Trence.

Trence is healed for 148 HP!

The Frankenstein attacks Sessha.

Sessha takes no damage.

Facing:

Frankenstein (lightly wounded)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2020, 11:21:15 pm »

Sessha > Magic > Vertigo      > Frankenstein
Trence > Fight > Power Slash! > Frankenstein
Willis > Fight > Shoot!       > Frankenstein

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2020, 11:26:30 pm »

...Why'd you dummies use healmore rather than heal? Trence isn't high enough level to need more than the smallest heal. This was mentioned before when we were getting items, the smallest herb is enough.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2020, 11:40:34 pm »

I'm not really paying close attention to the combat.  I was just upvoting the only existing suggestion.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 13, 2020, 11:50:42 pm »

(It's not a big deal.  This combat is mostly just warmup for the future when you'll have to be without Sessha to backstop you guys, and to help guide equipment decisions and what not.

This is also most likely the last combat that gets done formally here.  You should be in shape to skip any future encounters in this area, unless something really bad happens or something significant changes.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:55:15 pm by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 14, 2020, 03:14:29 am »

Trence > Fight > Slash!       > Frankenstein
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2020, 03:32:19 am »

Trence > Fight > Slash!       > Frankenstein

+1
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2020, 05:44:25 am »

Sessha Casts Vertigo.

The Frankenstein is disoriented!  Attack is weakened.  Magical attack is weakened.  Defense is weakened.  Magical defense cannot be weakened further!

Trence uses Slash!

Willis uses Shoot!

The Frankenstein swings wildly at Willis.

Willis takes 1 damage.

The rest of the battle isn't difficult to clean up.  The disoriented Frankenstein goes down after the next round of attacks.  You collect a huge wooden club from the Giant, and the Frankenstein drops a set of ragged clothing.

The club is too heavy for you to swing effectively, but Sessha says they can be carved down into something better, so it isn't worthless.  The rags are also worth a small amount of money.  Nothing special this time.

Spoiler: Loot (click to show/hide)

To be continued.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:18 pm »

You make it up to the next mountain, where it becomes truly apparent for the first time just how big this wilderness is.  This mountain is a good bit higher than the first one, and you see range after range of mountains to the north, with them becoming hazy and completely covered in snow before too long.  To the west it's a little less far, and there are only two more mountain ranges before what must be the pink land, which is just barely visible through the distant haze.  You do clearly make out the first mountain you climbed.

Your next triangulation goes quicker, and you now have a clear destination; you can even see it from here.  Should be easy enough... and it is, save for one more feather-gaining encounter with icebirds.

This shrine is quite remote.  You have to climb up a cliff with carved handholds, and you have to be just in the right place to see the way up.  The waterfall is just to your right, and there is a little lip covering them.  It took the three of you a good twenty minutes to find the way up, despite both knowing it was here and having a thing that points the way.

Willis and you think about racing, but even the two of you aren't quite that foolish.  You carefully creep your way up the cliff, and eventually arrive, arms tired, at a landing next to a small archway into the cavern.  There is a small carved picture of a wolf at the keystone.. this must be the place.  If the waterfall, and the icicles and the descriptions didn't tell you as much.

The three of you proceed inwards, and downwards, down a shallow stepped slope, with the passage widening as you go down, and becoming less natural stone with more obviously built walls.  Eventually, the walls are completely composed of by what seems to be carved ice, somehow not melting in the chilly, but not freezing, landing which awaits you.

At this point you pause for a bit of a refresher.  That was a long climb, and it'll be best to be ready for whatever is in the passageway beyond.

By the light of your glowstone you peer deeply into the blue ice.  You see your reflection, and try to peer beyond it to see into the depths of the mountain.  Unfortunately, you aren't able to make out anything but darkness with the occasional grain of rock or reflection.  Fortunately the floor is a bit more opaque, and not too slippery, or you might be worried about falling into nothingness.

Willis has better luck.  He shouts, and jumps away from the wall, bow in hand.  Out of his wall strides a white wolf.  Not a monstrous wolf, it could be just a dog.. but it looks just a bit too unfriendly to be a dog.  It just sits there, staring, for a long moment, as the three of you grab your weapons.

Eventually, it yawns, and lies down on the floor.  Eyes are still watching you three.

Still, unless you want to kill a creature that is probably related to the temple, there is nothing else to do but proceed.  So you do, heading deeper into the shrine.

The next room has an obvious purpose.  There is light here, shining down through some fancy ice shaft, and there are long rows of shelves on each side of the passageway.  This is an offering room, where items are left in the hopes of achieving the blessings of ..cold?  There are what looks like a hundred carved figurines, bundles of ancient grasses, dessicated fruit seeds, small tools, and the remains of many unidentifiable ancient objects.

For fun Willis and yourself look for the offering Hilde left, a shattered bit of mithril mail, wrapped in parchment.  It was supposedly to represent the wounds she had taken during her quest, but you forget the details of the symbology.

Sessha has brought offerings for you three.  For herself is a bundle of different types of tree twigs, shaped crudly into a human figure.  It's supposed to represent the many different people who make up herself.. mother, adventurer, assassin, protector, etcetera.

For Willis she brought a special candle, made to burn down into interesting guttery shapes, with the wick treated to make the flame flare up and dance around.

For yourself she brought a tiny toy box, closed with dirt inside.  It's because you are a mystery and a secret, but inside is dirt to show potential because you're still very young.

She finds places for them on the shelves, and the three of you proceed into the next chamber.

This is obviously the prayer chamber.  In the centre of the room is a tall pillar, which is obviously supposed to be the shape of a wolf, but the details are indistinct.  It is as if the wolf shape is a mere coincidence of nature, rather than a made thing, like a statue.  The central pillar is surrounded by other pillars made of coloured ice.

Sessha bends down on the worn floor, and reads out the dedication carved on the slab.  Nothing happens.  She then closes her eyes for a long minute, and eventually gets up.

Willis is next.  He bends down, closes his eyes, and gets back up after what is only thirty seconds.

It's now your turn.  What do you pray for?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:49 pm »

Pray for an understanding of what we are and what our capabilities are.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2020, 03:44:49 am »

Pray for understanding of who the people hunting us are, and what their motives might be.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2020, 06:48:13 am »

Pray for understanding of who the people hunting us are, and what their motives might be.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2020, 12:42:13 am »

You are Willis Naver, and things have been awesome lately.  You're getting to go on adventures, and see all the new terrain, and fight monsters.  And you get to have your buddy Trence around with you.

Outside of that wolf, which you have a feeling was a lot worse than it looked like.  I mean, a white wolf in a shrine to cold, which has a symbol of a white wolf.. it doesn't take a genius to be wary.

Still, you're not quite sure why you're here.  You know it has something to do with the bandits after Trence, and how Trence turned into a monster.. maybe he's an escaped experiment and they want to get him back?  Maybe he's from outer space, and you're going to find some secret ancient launchpad to shoot off into orbit, where you have to solve something that's threatening the whole planet!

Anyway, Sessha's done praying, and now it's your turn.  You aren't quite sure what to ask for, things have been fine, but you know this is a shrine to cold, and you wouldn't mind some cool frost magic, so..

Willis has learned Absolute Zero!  Extreme cold damage to a single target

Awesome.  Now, it's Trence's turn.

You see him kneel down and start mumbling something.  After about a minute, he slumps to the ground, knocked out.

You are Trence Colunstin, and you've decided to ask this ice spirit what is with the people hunting you.  Who they are, and why they're doing this.

I mean, the god of secrets might not know your secret, but these bandits shouldn't be so fancy, and if you know about them you should be able to find someone who knows something.

As you chant, you feel a sort of energy building up, like the one in the temple under the clothing store.  You brace yourself and..

You wake up.  You are bound once more, but it doesn't feel like it did in the cage, not like you have to get out now.  You see a room, and you can see it's pitch black, but you can see despite the darkness.  You can see the darkness?  You don't know, just going to roll with it, like a dream.

You are in an old place, ancient even, and half-full of dirt from a collapsed wall.  But you can see an odd kind of door, a sliding one, maybe?  Above it is written E-17-D, and you think that must be important.  Opposite the door is some very old, strange furnature, that looks like metal, but it's all funny and white, like nothing you've seen before.  And inside the table, you are apparently seeing through it now, is a bunch of glowing disks that stand out all white and blue.

You can feel yourself waking up again, but you hold on for a little longer.  The walls are decorated, covered in odd lines and carvings.  You can see the remains of a window, but only darkness is beyond, with more dirt.  And.. that's all.

Then you wake up again, for real this time, back in the chamber.  Sessha and Willis are near you, and ask you what happened.

It's a week later, and you're almost back at the fort.  The wolf seemed happier to see you going, and requested some scritchies, and now it's time to rejoin normal society, back at Fort Alton.

Your next destination is known, Uncle was able to track down your statue, it came from a chamber under a hill in an old set of Trisamorian ruins, inside what was once a large town on an icy island not too far offshore.  There's a dig going on there currently, so the four of you should be able to find out something there.

The ruins you saw in your vision were in that same style, the odd substance everything was made of is just stuff that the Trisamorians made all their things out of, so wherever you saw is in one of their ruins somewhere.

Uncle apologizes for not being able to track down whoever paid the bandits yet, being locked up in a mansion.  And although he doesn't say it, you can tell he's tired.  Well treated he might be, but he is still a prisoner, and nobody likes to be locked up.  Sessha is not happy, and is thinking of ways to get back at them.

Do you have any suggestions for ways to get some revenge on those kidnapping nobles?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:39:33 am by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2020, 01:14:51 am »

Is this something that law enforcement could help with?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2020, 03:17:43 am »

Is there some way we could give them a cursed artefact? Or just a radioactive one?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 311