Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #25 Feedback  (Read 31708 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #25 Feedback
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:05:05 am »

The twenty-fifth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  DF Talk questions are welcome - we answered all we had this time!  There are some landscaping noises (mainly from ~0:09 to ~0:15), and some microphone crackle especially near the end which I couldn't edit out.  But the new headphones eliminated the beeping and I didn't have to manually adjust my own levels upward, so it felt like forward progress.

The transcript for #24 is underway (thanks JCsuper!).  Of course, now we are stacking them up again, but hopefully a transcript can also be formed eventually for this episode.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #25 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:02:59 am »

An immediate feedback: The text for the link at the top of the pages says: "News: August 11, 2020: Dwarf Fortress Talk #24 has been posted."
I assume it should be #25 (I first though it was some odd way of updating #24 to say that the transcript was complete).

Now to actually listen to it...

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:05:14 am »

Someone has made a multiplayer mode by applying webfort: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176070.0
It even comes with an open server for anyone who want to try it out (link, linked inside the other one as well).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:23:00 pm »

An immediate feedback: The text for the link at the top of the pages says: "News: August 11, 2020: Dwarf Fortress Talk #24 has been posted."
I assume it should be #25 (I first though it was some odd way of updating #24 to say that the transcript was complete).

Now to actually listen to it...

Whoops!  Thanks.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:07:39 am »

wow you guys are pumping them out now compared to the past rate..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 12:41:21 pm »

thank you for answering my questions Toady! Its also nice someone finally pronounced my name correctly

Looking forward to when I can butcher those goblins for bones (more bone bolts to kill more goblins, its a great cycle!) and turn those elves into crafts to sell back to them. Or mount a totem of that dragon skull and mount it on the fortress gate
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:08:04 pm »

Thanks to the champions supporting my patreon I have been able to buy a new headset, which should be on my head for the next recording.  Many thanks to all.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:53:28 am »

Partly because they've got more of a laid back vibe these days, I think. It's not just some guys on a call together, but it's not as formal in structure or, it seems, requirements as it used to be.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 01:37:24 am »

It's not just some guys on a call together,

Aww, shucks.  Thank you~

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 06:47:38 am »

NOTE: If you are here from reddit/the method, it is below. The WIP transcript in this post is an older one, see the next post instead.

Here is a WIP transcript of DF Talk #25: https://pastebin.com/kA5mErmy

For Toady, it being WIP means I'm not "submitting" it yet. However, if you do read it, it has a fair amount of Scamps. I don't know where you are in that emotional space, if it is comforting or the opposite, but either way a disclaimer seemed wise. So here it is.

It still has some round(s) of polishing it needs to go through, but it covers the talk in its entirety, so it is a fully readable something. I also figured I would try to do the html, as I've recently learnt the basics and to off-load Toady (or Zach) some, even though one of them still has to go through it as a final step. Any help/input/parsing the sections I marked with questionmarks is of course appreciated :).

Unlike the transcripting I did for #23 and #24, this one was guided heavily by auto-transcription (Youtube's algorithm). This made the process much faster and less labor intensive, but I honestly am not sure about the legalities :/. The steps I went through are detailed below. They probably aren't optimal.
  • Download the DF Talk audio.
  • Convert it into .mp4 video.
  • Split the video into smaller segments. This is because Youtube won't allow you to upload videos longer than ~15 minutes if you don't have an approved account. This was done a while ago, so I either misplaced the code I used since, or I ultimately used some (online?) video editing tool. I ended up struggling here, I remember, but I'm sure if you know video editing this step is easily.
  • Upload the segments to Youtube. Privately.
  • Wait for the auto-transcriptions to come in. This may take a while.
  • Use a website like this one to rip the auto-transcriptions from each segment, and paste them into one file.
  • Split sentences between the people speaking (Toady, Capntastic, Rainseeker)
  • Add punctuation and fix words ("Urist" is not "first", etc.).
  • Realize the last 5 minutes don't have auto-transcription for some reason, and do those manually.
  • Review and polish.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 12:44:58 pm »

And here it is, a more or less finished transcript of DF Talk #25.
I uploaded it as a file on my website since pastebin, for whatever reason, detected something profane in it didn't in the pre-polish/html version. Is it because Urist kissing their sister comes up? I don't know.

There are a few words/sentences marked as "???*", that come with time-stamps. They are ones that I either couldn't parse audio-wise, or felt unsure of how they connected to the context. Whether it is another community member or someone from Bay 12 who steps up, I feel they need judgement from a second person before "submitting".

*Not the smiley, three questionmarks. I forget how to unparse on the forums.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 07:50:43 am »

Thanks to denbjornen on Reddit, for clearing out most of the ???s. This should be the final submission, Toady, with two ???s left.

Again, I am not sure on the legalities involved with using auto-transcription (of/by Youtube) as a tool. Maybe someone on Kitfox is in the know?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 03:09:42 pm »

Cool, I'll see if I can figure those ???s out.  I guess google docs also has a free transcription tool (if a youtube video summary is accurate - you play the podcast back into the voice typing tool), and people use those tools for all of whatever privately in their own business (every game dev company I know relies on a google doc or three for something), so it seems like it's probably okay.

First ??? is definitely Alex.

Not sure about the second one - the guess 'harem guard' sounds possibly right but doesn't quite make sense in context as a form of settlement and it was a little garbled, so I'll just leave it as (unclear).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:21:32 pm by Toady One »