Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inspiration  (Read 1393 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
inspiration
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:46:49 am »

Experienced players know, the urge to play Dwarf Fortress comes and goes, like [insert cheesy metaphor involving the moon's gravitational pull]. There is a certain creative impulse that beckons us, and we all know that call. . .

In the run-up to the release of a rather defining update to DF, I wish to pose this question:

What inspires you, time and again?

What movie scene? What novel, or comic? What songs bring you into the mindset to dig deep? maybe other games are not quite good enough, so you end up playing DF yet again after yet another disappointment. A sort of reverse-inspiration.

Beyond references to other media, maybe you find inspiration in your various life experiences? Maybe you have insight into carpentry, for instance, and so when your dwarves craft a nice bed, you can then visualize what a 'nice bed' might actually be. Or you know a little bit about swordfighting and can truly appreciate the flow of a well-fought duel, and see that flow reflected in the game.

Even something like the weather might influence you. For me, when the air is still, early in the morning with the sun yet to burn off that autumn fog, that is perhaps the best time to play. To feel blanketed from the world, ready to peer into the microcosm.

after one knows the limits of DF, inspiration might become that much tougher to find. I think here you find the source of these frequent displays of 'SCIENCE!!'. To overcome confusion or mystery in the chaotic systems that define the gameplay. . yet DF remains unknowable in many ways. it is great fun to experience these strange and analytic perspectives.

and in a base sort of way, the mere idea of playing DF is inspiring. The game is admittedly obtuse, and it can be fun to claim a thorough knowledge of obscure topics, if you're a nerd like myself that is. Being exposed to the grand complexity of the program. And participating in this momentary community, here at the end of time, is actually a worthy thing.

So . what brings you back these days? bonus points for strangely specific inspirations

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: inspiration
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:07:26 am »

For me, it's narratives and stories.

The world gen makes beautiful and tragic tales which we, as creatures who innately enjoy story, piece together ourselves. I just had a dwarf arrive who worships no gods. His mom was a priest and recruited many monks for multiple religions. While she was off doing that, his father died when he was only 3. What better reason to forsake the gods?

I love working with a world to weave a tale. To pick up on random noise, translate it into themes and play that out to the extreme. The first world I ever fully conquered was a series of fortresses built around death and war and the ten religions dedicated to that same, single god. That world's greatest hero was a vampire, the king was a necromancer, and the barons all undead.

I've always been a big fan of fiction, and the spark of inspiration to start playing again almost always comes from reading either a story about dwarves being dwarves or a well written combat scene. Either can throw me into a 6-month dive into the game.

And of course, succession games and all of us building silly, ridiculous, and violent stories together. Distinct, but very similar to playing tabletop rpgs.