Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TACTICUS Lite 2018 GOTY Edition  (Read 1772 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
TACTICUS Lite 2018 GOTY Edition
« on: August 14, 2020, 05:12:46 am »

Starting a new round of TACTICUS because I haven't seen people playing it for a while and newer members should be introduced to it. I'm still working on my own game alongside being super busy though, so we're going to need some housekeeping rules from TACTICUS Lite 2018 GOTY Edition.

• There is no GM. Players are responsible to keep track of their own TACTICUS Points.
  • There exists a board1. The board size shall be 9x9 at the start of the game.
  • Miniatures can exist on a space on the board. They must be represented by a symbol. The symbol must be explained in the Legends.
  • Miniatures can cause Witching2, which are kept track of in the Playspace3
  • Rules from other editions of TACTICUS can be invoked, but they must be compatible with the above rules.
  • Players do not have to play according to turns4. However, it is considered good manners to not play your turn immediately after the turn following your previous turn.

1 Known as FIELD OF PLAY in classic TACTICUS editions.
2 Delayed effects, persistent enchantments, etc. I'm not sure why they decided to call it Witching in this edition. Probably some developers thinking they're the next Pantsheim.
3 On forum, we'll represent the playspace in a post rather than on a pentagram.
4 This is to prevent the game taking eons if a player perishes, which in erlier editions would have required the game be adjourned or a Necromancy Ritual to be performed before the round can proceed.

Please for the love of Armok, quote the Playspace verbatim, BBcode and all, every time you play your turn, otherwise this'll descend into chaos.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:13:54 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: TACTICUS Lite 2018 GOTY Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:22:16 am »

I'll initialize the PLAYSPACE and place my KNIGHT ERRANT miniature from the WARS OF THE MERMAIDS Supplementary IX Stock Miniatures. Of course, some people might say that using a stock miniature rather than homemade ones as your opening move is considered to be a refuge of scoundrels. Fortunately, I am a scoundrel and people who said that are ancient Fransciscan monks centuries dead.

Quote stuffs below this header to play, leave OOC comments on top of a header. Please color code your miniatures, we don't want the netgoblins to steal them.

As per the WARS OF THE MERMAIDS Supplementary IX, the KNIGHT ERRANT incurs an Effe- I mean Witching which will assign it a quest, transforming them into KNIGHT QUESTANT in 2 rounds.

Board

...K.....

Legends

. Empty
K Knight Errant belonging to Cinder

Witching

2 - A QUEST!: When Witching ends, grants a quest to the KNIGHT ERRANT (K), promoting it to KNIGHT QUESTANT (Q).

(Number means the number of rounds before Witching ends. If there is no number, the Witching is permanent.)

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:31:51 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:09:36 pm »

So, what kinds of rules are there for Witching and Playspace Initial placement?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 04:53:47 pm »

Pfft! Dont you have even The Free Online Basics? You would know that for the first turn, almost anyone can drop miniatures on the field as they please - all others must be construed as some form of called reinforcements.

And I see you never read your Holy Crusade supplement - Or you would know that any Knight class unit you summon comes with three minor Retainers, such as Archers or Soldiers. With that, I put in my play, of the Skeleton Knight K, with his Retainers, 2 Skeleton Archers A, and a Skeleton Soldier S

Board

...K.....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

. Empty
S Skeleton Soldier belonging to KitRougard
A Skeleton Archer belonging to KitRougard
K Skeleton Knight belonging to KitRougard

Witching

2 - A QUEST!: When Witching ends, grants a quest to the KNIGHT ERRANT (K), promoting it to KNIGHT QUESTANT (Q).

(Number means the number of rounds before Witching ends. If there is no number, the Witching is permanent.)

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
[/quote]
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 07:57:26 pm »

((OOC: Basically Nature, it's boardgame Calvinball, the only definite rules are the ones stated in the OP, and the ones stated in the OP of the linked thread. Everything else you can make up as you go))

My Apologies for taking so long. I'm new to this incredibly intriguing game you see, and so needed to catch up on the rules to find something that really suits me. With that being said, I've been looking mostly at the various 'licensed' supplements outside of the basics, so I'll mostly be utilizing things from those.

All that said, from the Blizzard licensed 'Starcrafticus' Supplement, page 3 of the Protoss section, I'll play my Protoss Probe (p) which, immediately upon entering play, begins to construct a Pylon () in an adjacent corner tile

Board

.......p
...K.....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

. Empty
p Protoss Probe belonging to Failbird
Incomplete Pylon belonging to Failbird

Witching

1 - Construct Additional Pylons: When Witching ends, complete Incomplete Pylon () upgrading it to a Pylon(). Witching timer paused when there is no Probe or other construction/engineering unit adjacent to the Incomplete Pylon.

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:30:03 pm by Failbird105 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:08 pm »

I know a chicken who read some botany tomes recently, pieces of it seemed to be some information about a miniature, though it was coded. A Flower, F, once placed, forms a seeds in a random direction based on a d4 dice roll, d1=up, d2=right, d3=down, d4=left
This Witching can be done for the first 4 turns of a flower’s existance, after which it can no longer produce seeds. More info will be decoded as the need arises

Board

.......p
...K.....
....s....
....F....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

Incomplete Pylon belonging to Failbird
F Flower belonging to naturegirl1999/NG
s Seed belonging to naturegirl1999/NG

Witching

1 - Construct Additional Pylons: When Witching ends, complete Incomplete Pylon () upgrading it to a Pylon(). Witching timer paused when there is no Probe or other construction/engineering unit adjacent to the Incomplete Pylon.

4 (including placement turn) a d4 is rolled to determine which direction from the Flower a Seed grows in adjacent to the flower

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 08:08:02 am »

As per Rule 59 of Supplement 3 of the Very Definite Main Book Of Tacticus LIV, virgin blood is no longer to be used to power the machinations of Tacticus, and each player have to manually conclude witchings, and may choose to end a Witching as soon as the requisite number of rounds has passed, and their effects have been 'drained.'

Since 2 of the witchings we have are summoning witchings, I'll be nice and pop mine and Failbird's. A PYLON () is built, and I promote my KNIGHT ERRANT (K) to KNIGHT QUESTANT (Q), and roll the D∞ to choose a quest from the Tome of Endless Forbidden Arts Chapter ∞-8.

I rolled a ∞, giving my KNIGHT QUESTANT (Q) a quest to slay the dreaded SPIDRA (ß) which is spawned automatically and goes on a neutral rampage.

Since I still have an action, I use it to place a humble home (^) to lure the SPIDRA and motivate the KNIGHT QUESTANT. Here's hoping my gambit works out.

Oh, and I might as well give my KNIGHT QUESTANT 2 IMPRESSIONABLE SQUIRES ($) and 1 LOOKOUT (L)

Board

ß......p
..$L$....
...Q.....
....s....
....F.^..
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

Q Knight Questant belonging to Cinder. Quest: Slay the Spidra (ß)
^ Humble home belonging to Cinder
$ Squire belonging to Cinder
L Lookout belonging to Cinder
Pylon belonging to Failbird
ß Spidra belonging to no one

Witching

3 a d4 is rolled to determine which direction from the Flower a Seed grows in adjacent to the flower

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:12:28 am by Cinder »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:12:22 am »

It’s KitRougard’s turn

How will we deal with a new player joining? Waiting until the existing players finish a turn? Like, if person 5 wishes to join, would they just go after whoever went before, or would they wait for the remaining players to finish before going after the most recent joiner?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 11:13:39 am »

How will we deal with a new player joining? Waiting until the existing players finish a turn? Like, if person 5 wishes to join, would they just go after whoever went before, or would they wait for the remaining players to finish before going after the most recent joiner?
By following Rule 1435(b)(liv) from Chapter XVIII of the Second Unabridged Definitive Edition (Revised), which clearly and concisely states that "new players may enter during any part of the Cycle of Play and leave during any part of the Cycle of Play, provided the rules laid out in §238§§1 of the Basic Preconditions (6th ed.) are observed", OBVIOUSLY.

With that in mind, I'll cut in and place the Unheiligenbuch from the rare 1937 German Edition, the only edition of Tacticus ever to have been banned by the Nazis. If I'm reading this correctly, and I might not be, because I don't actually read German, I get ten points until someone else's unit manages to read the book and survive, in which case one point is stolen by that player each time. At least, it's either that or something about terriers, I think, and why would it be something about terriers?

It also has a witching, blah blah blah, I'm not made of time, I'm going to invoke §238§§1 and cede future turns until I feel like cutting in again.

Board

ß......p
..$L$....
...Q.....
....s....
....F.^..
...U.....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

U Unheiligenbuch belonging to Maximum Spin

Witching

3 a d4 is rolled to determine which direction from the Flower a Seed grows in adjacent to the flower
6 - every time this timer has expired and the Unheiligenbuch has not yet been read within the duration of the timer (even if the reader died or went mad in the process), the Unheiligenbuch summons a Bad Shoggoth () on a random unoccupied tile. The Bad Shoggoth is hostile to every unit except the Unheiligenbuch itself. Whenever a Bad Shoggoth is summoned by this witching or the Unheiligenbuch is read unsuccessfully, this witching restarts. When the Unheiligenbuch is read successfully, the reader may choose to replace this witching with another defensive witching of the Unheilig type from the 1937 German Edition or any of its supplements.

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 10
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:17:29 am by Maximum Spin »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:46:36 pm »

I thank you for upgrading my Pylon, but I can tell you haven't read the book yourself(though, considering the sheer volume of the overall Tacticus lexicon I don't blame you) or you would know that the completed Pylon has its own Witching.

That being said, the Probe moves to the next tile left, and begins constructing a Nexus immediately below itself. Much like the Pylon, this creates an Incomplete Nexus() rather than a fully made one.

Now, as I am ending my turn, the Pylons witching activates. Unfortunately, I rolled a 2, giving me only one Protoss Zealot(z), as it would have activated during the previous players turn as well, I will roll again... and receive a 3, for two Zealots, totaling up to a full squad of 3

Additionally, the Flowers(F) witching would have activated a couple times

Board

ß.....pz
......zz
..$L$....
...Q.....
....s....
...sF.^..
...Us....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

Incomplete Nexus belonging to Failbird

Witching

1 a d4 is rolled to determine which direction from the Flower a Seed grows in adjacent to the flower
5 - every time this timer has expired and the Unheiligenbuch has not yet been read within the duration of the timer (even if the reader died or went mad in the process), the Unheiligenbuch summons a Bad Shoggoth () on a random unoccupied tile. The Bad Shoggoth is hostile to every unit except the Unheiligenbuch itself. Whenever a Bad Shoggoth is summoned by this witching or the Unheiligenbuch is read unsuccessfully, this witching restarts. When the Unheiligenbuch is read successfully, the reader may choose to replace this witching with another defensive witching of the Unheilig type from the 1937 German Edition or any of its supplements.
1 - If the Pylon() is the first structure constructed by this player, then at the end of each turn, the owner rolls a die with sides equal to the number of adjacent open tiles, and may choose to warp in a number of Protoss Zealots(z) equal to the roll -1.
2 - At the end of the Witching, complete Incomplete Nexus(), upgrading it to a Nexus().

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 10
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:48:19 pm by Failbird105 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »

Ah, thanks for helping with keeping track of that

I rolled the last d4 and it said 1, which puts another seed on the tile above the flower, turning the sseeds into a S Seedling

Upon the Flower’s Witching end, it turns into a N Nutrient with a witching amount that lasts one turn based on how many Seeds are on the board at the time of the Flower’s turning into Nutrients. As there are 2 seeds on the board, Nutrient’s Witching lasts for 2 turns, its witching turns an adjacent seed into a Seedling

Board

ß.....pz
......zz
..$L$....
...Q.....
....S....
...sN.^..
...US....
.....S...
....AKA..

Legends

S Seedling belonging to naturegirl1999/NG
N Nutrient belonging to Naturegirl1999/NG

Witching

5 - every time this timer has expired and the Unheiligenbuch has not yet been read within the duration of the timer (even if the reader died or went mad in the process), the Unheiligenbuch summons a Bad Shoggoth () on a random unoccupied tile. The Bad Shoggoth is hostile to every unit except the Unheiligenbuch itself. Whenever a Bad Shoggoth is summoned by this witching or the Unheiligenbuch is read unsuccessfully, this witching restarts. When the Unheiligenbuch is read successfully, the reader may choose to replace this witching with another defensive witching of the Unheilig type from the 1937 German Edition or any of its supplements.
1 - If the Pylon() is the first structure constructed by this player, then at the end of each turn, the owner rolls a die with sides equal to the number of adjacent open tiles, and may choose to warp in a number of Protoss Zealots(z) equal to the roll -1.
2 - At the end of the Witching, complete Incomplete Nexus(), upgrading it to a Nexus().
1 - Nutrient will turn an adjacent Seed into a Seedling

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 10

In future I will be typing NG as short for Naturegirl1999

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 03:07:27 pm »

Thank the gods the books say MAY, I would never bother with progressing Witchings myself.

Now, my Skeletons, being undead and all, actually have a Sanity rule that states that all mind-altering effects automatically fail. It's just a matter of rolling the dice and finding out if they can actually READ the damned thing.
I move a Skeleton Archer two spaces to be adjacent to it, and roll the d%, success on a 40 or higher if I'm crossrefrencing right - Your source material used DCs based in a d37, which only ever came in an equally obscure expansion in Australia - thankfully a wise man once translated odds...
[23]
Feh, not enough. But not a crit fail, either - so my Archer is NOT destroyed in a blast of eldritch power.
The rest of the Skeleton Army follows to maintain some semblance of formation.

Board

ß.....pz
......zz
..$L$....
...Q.....
....S....
...sN.^..
...US....
..SA.....
..AK.....

Legends

Witching

6 - every time this timer has expired and the Unheiligenbuch has not yet been read within the duration of the timer (even if the reader died or went mad in the process), the Unheiligenbuch summons a Bad Shoggoth () on a random unoccupied tile. The Bad Shoggoth is hostile to every unit except the Unheiligenbuch itself. Whenever a Bad Shoggoth is summoned by this witching or the Unheiligenbuch is read unsuccessfully, this witching restarts. When the Unheiligenbuch is read successfully, the reader may choose to replace this witching with another defensive witching of the Unheilig type from the 1937 German Edition or any of its supplements.

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 10
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 04:09:21 pm »

Following the Tacticus! film novelisation, which was declared to qualify as a canon sourcebook at the infamous Geneva Tacticus Convention, an undead unsuccessfully reading an eldritch tome may be forcibly upgraded into a corresponding form of eldritch undead by the tome's owner for the expenditure of one point (or madness token or a few other options I also don't have). Therefore I have elected to exchange your Skeleton Archer for a Knockenhünd Archer, which is basically the monster from this story, as far as I can tell. At least, the drawing seems to be a conscious reference. I suppose, back in the 30s, the story was still pretty new, so it wouldn't have been so obvious.

I don't think this action counts as a separate round, though, so I'll leave the timers where they are. The novelisation doesn't specify, but some nerds frame-counted from the movie itself and say that the timing only makes sense if it wasn't counted.

Board

ß.....pz
......zz
..$L$....
...Q.....
....S....
...sN.^..
...US....
..SA.....
..AK.....

Legends

A Knockenhünd Archer belonging to KitRougard

Witching

3 - The Knockenhünd must be propitiated or sealed by the close of this timer, or else it will start attacking indiscriminately. (Until that time it is still controlled by its owner.)

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 9
[/quote]

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 04:23:53 pm »

Ok, but when did 5 get turned back into 6? And when will next round be? I think it’s Failbird’s turn, then mine, if I’m keeping track. If I’m keeping track, I think Failbird rolls for zealot placement while I turn my last seed into a sapling, which I can do now, then Failbird can go, since our witchings are independent from and thus won’t be affected by each other

Board

ß.....pz
......zz
..$L$....
...Q.....
....S....
...S..^..
...US....
..SA.....
..AK.....

Legends

A Knockenhünd Archer belonging to KitRougard

Witching

4 - every time this timer has expired and the Unheiligenbuch has not yet been read within the duration of the timer (even if the reader died or went mad in the process), the Unheiligenbuch summons a Bad Shoggoth () on a random unoccupied tile. The Bad Shoggoth is hostile to every unit except the Unheiligenbuch itself. Whenever a Bad Shoggoth is summoned by this witching or the Unheiligenbuch is read unsuccessfully, this witching restarts. When the Unheiligenbuch is read successfully, the reader may choose to replace this witching with another defensive witching of the Unheilig type from the 1937 German Edition or any of its supplements.
Failbird roll, it ends this turn - If the Pylon() is the first structure constructed by this player, then at the end of each turn, the owner rolls a die with sides equal to the number of adjacent open tiles, and may choose to warp in a number of Protoss Zealots(z) equal to the roll -1.
2 - The Knockenhünd must be propitiated or sealed by the close of this timer, or else it will start attacking indiscriminately. (Until that time it is still controlled by its owner.)

Scoreboard

Cinder = 0
KitRougard = 0
Failbird = 0
naturegirl1999 = 0
Maximum Spin = 9
Reason why it went from 6 to 4 is because it went down to 5 and was erroneously given an extra turn

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:43 pm »

Ok, but when did 5 get turned back into 6? And when will next round be? I think it’s Failbird’s turn, then mine, if I’m keeping track. If I’m keeping track, I think Failbird rolls for zealot placement while I turn my last seed into a sapling, which I can do now, then Failbird can go, since our witchings are independent from and thus won’t be affected by each other
The timer reset because the book, sorry, Buch was read. Normally that's supposed to cause some other bad thing to happen so that the shoggoth would be overkill, but, clearly, kitrougard is a filthy skeleton cheater. :P

Still, I totally wouldn't disagree with your throwing in some extra shoggoths for fun.
Pages: [1] 2