Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retired Adventurers in a Fortress  (Read 2029 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retired Adventurers in a Fortress
« on: August 31, 2020, 05:42:59 pm »

Here's how I prepared my current fortress. I made a small fort and retired it. Then I retired eleven adventurers into the site. Three of them had wandered the world and killed lots of things. The other eight were handmade scholars who never went on any adventures, though some of the scholars did wander the world on their own so they had to be herded back to the site by being grouped with other adventurers.

Here's the problem. Three of the retired adventurers are not quite full citizens of the fortress. Their information screens (z) describe them as citizens of the civ and members of the local government. But their labors in Therapist are shaded out and unresponsive, as if they were children or long-term residents. Though I can adjust their labors in the game itself.

It's not a terrible problem in itself. The scholar was able to join the library, and the military adventurers were able to join squads. Mostly it bothers me that I don't understand why this happened to those three out of the eleven. Is this a random bug, or is it somehow related to the adventurers themselves? If it's a bug, is there a fix? If it's related to the adventurers, then what could they have done to gain this semi-citizen status?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retired Adventurers in a Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:26 pm »

As adventurers, they need to join the fortress. Either as part of the militia or as performers. Then they'll be citizens of the fortress in Fortress Mode. Talk to the militia commander, mayor and other folk in charge.

Possibly Adventurers from the same civ (remember there are multiple dwarf civs) might get to join automatically.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:47 pm »

the military adventurers were able to join squads.
Can they command squads? If not, it sounds like they are still set as noncitizen residents.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:07:44 pm »

the military adventurers were able to join squads.
Can they command squads? If not, it sounds like they are still set as noncitizen residents.
Yes, they can command squads. I'm not quite sure what they can't do, besides have their labors changed in Therapist.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:35:36 pm »

Oh, I seem to have misread your original post: if it's only specifically in Dwarf Therapist that you can't change their labours, you probably need to post in the Dwarf Therapist thread.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:08:27 am »

If you start a new adventurer, and select your desired fortress as your starting location, you'll be a citizen at the start.
So you can immidiatly retire there, without the need of becoming citizen first.
this might be an issue, if compagnions are from different places.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:19:02 pm »

I'd like to add that I've encountered this same kind of problem, coming from a different source.

I repurposed an old script in order to civilize wild animal people and the same happens: for all the game purposes they are citizens, but Dwarf Therapist, specifically, won't recognize them as such. The script also forges historical links and changes their civ alignment even in the most obscure of places (such as in current_soul.personality). All the other functions work normally: you can alter their labors in the native interface, retiring the fort and talking to them in advmode works as expected, they can be militia commander (and other nobles) and command squads, etc.

So every single aspect of the game itself is fine in relation to them. The problem arises from DT not recognizing them properly.

It might be that DT is correct in that they are not full citizens: in that case my script failed to change something important and I didn't notice, and some bug happened involving your adventurers that marked them as not citizens despite having all the right links (known to us, at least).

The most likely scenario, IMO, is that it's a flaw from DT itself. Which sucks, because the Therapist is a must for me to play the game: I simply can't stand using the current UI and labormanager gives the player almost no control at all over the dorfs. So no civilizing the furry savages for now.

Script for anyone interested. It's kind of lacking, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:22:24 pm by Jundavr »
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 07:40:08 pm »

The most likely scenario, IMO, is that it's a flaw from DT itself. Which sucks, because the Therapist is a must for me to play the game: I simply can't stand using the current UI and labormanager gives the player almost no control at all over the dorfs. So no civilizing the furry savages for now.

What about manipulator? Same flaw as DT?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 08:58:16 pm »

What about manipulator? Same flaw as DT?

Manipulator works fine, just tested it. This further indicates that the problem lies within DT
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!