Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardcoded features changes for the steam version?  (Read 1846 times)

Yakefa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hardcoded features changes for the steam version?
« on: August 15, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »

Hello,
I'm not a modder but I'm curious about modding possibilities. Anyone knows if the developer is planning to make some of the hardcoded data accessible to modders for the steam version?
I think it's the time or never, since he stopped developing new features until the steam version is out and focusing on polish and UX.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcoded features changes for the steam version?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »

Adding things to the raws is not polish or ux, and would delay the steam release. I don't believe that Toady will add anything to the steam release besides graphics support, interface stuff, achievements, and general new-player-experience improvements. More mod support would be nice, but it's not any of those things.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:41:32 pm »

Toady answers questions in the thread "Future of the Fortress" every month. Why not ask him directly?

At the very least I expect we'll see ways to assign music to events (or maybe just seasons, as mentioned before) and ways to assign graphics to individual body parts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:47:50 am »

There will be a few minor changes, but we try to keep those to an absolute minimum. One such change for example is that root-tiles now block vision.

I'm always up for suggesting to move more content to the raws, for better mod support. We haven't started with that yet, but my best guess right now is that there will be a few more options for modders in the end. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 09:50:33 am »

There will be a few minor changes, but we try to keep those to an absolute minimum. One such change for example is that root-tiles now block vision.

I'm always up for suggesting to move more content to the raws, for better mod support. We haven't started with that yet, but my best guess right now is that there will be a few more options for modders in the end. :)

A SELECT_AGE token would be useful and seems reasonable given the graphics work. No more bearded babies.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 08:19:00 pm »

A SELECT_AGE token would be useful and seems reasonable given the graphics work. No more bearded babies.
I expect they'll just fake that. They're going to fake naked dwarves and that has an actual gameplay impact, so not showing bearded babies is a no-brainer.

But, yeah, good opportunity to allow beard growth to work on timers similar to grey/white hair. I imagine some will want exact control to allow dwarf children to grow beards earlier than humans.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 11:18:44 pm »

I'd love to see tree roots grow further underground, the taller a tree gets, kind of a secondary "canopy" of the tree underground.  Might be fun to dig between roots trying not to make a huge ass hole open up above...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 12:54:53 pm »

Most trees don't naturally do that though, they just have roots sprawling outwards without going too deep.

Maybe as a feature for special biomes, like one associated with trees or plants in general.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 03:52:37 pm »

Trees tend to start out with a tap-root, and might favour that while conditions for a fibrous spread of fine roots aren't yet optimal.

But it varies a lot (young trees for sale in garden centres differ according to if they're grown to be sold potted, bare-rooted or bound in a hessian-type cloth), different species favour different tactics due to the ground-types they've evolved to expect and arid/exposed/restrictive conditions will create further differences.

Not sure this is a thing to worry about here. Perhaps (given the recent Mephday cactus example and the emphasis on type-specific branch-growth rules) the generation of roots can be acutely personalised to a type, too, proportionate to the canopy. The whole underground competition between roots (existing or developing) and dwarven excavations (existing and expanded) could be a whole lot more complex - like passages being intruded into by roots (Raiders Of The Lost Ark opener, and anything that has an abandoned SE-Asian temple ruin as a location setting) and the destabilising of trees by loosening their anchoring and maybe toppling them from below (or letting them topple innthe next stiff breeze).

I expect they'll just fake [SELECT_AGE tokens]. They're going to fake naked dwarves and that has an actual gameplay impact, so not showing bearded babies is a no-brainer.
Just give all dwarves beards (regardless of age, regardless of gender, regardless of clothing) and you can solve various other problems. ;)