Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do i get a mount?  (Read 16411 times)

Zackanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Smoothing out a area i'll never look at again
    • View Profile
How do i get a mount?
« on: August 17, 2020, 09:12:47 am »

Can i buy them somewhere? Or do i need to go and find and tame a wild mountain goat or something?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get a mount?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:47:16 am »

Just (h)old them, and you'll get an option to "Make this creature your pet". You can freely take domesticated animals, AFAIK.

Riding them is a bit trickier. Sometimes they knock you off. It's probably related to riding skill.

Zackanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Smoothing out a area i'll never look at again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:30 am »

So i just take the nearest horse and say, "Nobody would mind if i took this horse right?" and since toady hasn't programmed in a response to that it's perfectly legal. Cool, thanks for the swift response!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 05:49:38 pm »

Yeah, you can't tame wild animals in adventurer mode. You can adopt unclaimed already tame animals - they will be called "stray".

Of course, you could also just start with a ridiable pet in your party.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:51:39 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:18:36 am »

Such as, for example, a Grizzly Bear.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 12:41:44 am »

You could opt to buy a mount with your starting points during character creation.
As riding animals currently are free getting them after creation isn't hard.
If you first create a fortress and do some trading with the elves, you might be able to get some exotic riding animals.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:19 am »

You could opt to buy a mount with your starting points during character creation.
As riding animals currently are free getting them after creation isn't hard.
If you first create a fortress and do some trading with the elves, you might be able to get some exotic riding animals.

Putting an outsider in your party is another source of great pets. You can get all kind of giant birds and even giant bats, which let you fly. You can also get war giant elephants, which will trample into oblivion any (small to moderately large) enemy that you hold in place using wrestling.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 02:12:35 am »

I concluded that mounts were more trouble than they were worth. They would fight and get injured because they had no armor. Or they would get scared, toss the rider, run off, and never return.

Pack animals, OTOH, I found to be extremely useful.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 10:55:04 am »

I wonder if it's possible to tame animals with adventure mode reactions.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:18:04 pm »

Just (h)old them, and you'll get an option to "Make this creature your pet". You can freely take domesticated animals, AFAIK.

Riding them is a bit trickier. Sometimes they knock you off. It's probably related to riding skill.

I didn't know the quippet about holding and recruiting them, makes the idea of running through various towns a lot easier with this in mind, i wonder if this applies to elves being able to naturally approach creatures.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 12:25:19 pm »

I concluded that mounts were more trouble than they were worth. They would fight and get injured because they had no armor. Or they would get scared, toss the rider, run off, and never return.

In either situation is it possible to tie up/secure a mount or pack animal before going into a cave/dungeon/tower? 

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 01:37:08 am »

In either situation is it possible to tie up/secure a mount or pack animal before going into a cave/dungeon/tower?

I haven't played much adventure like some other players on these forums. But FWIW, here's my untested theory: You can talk to the animal and tell it to stay put. If you then lead or mount the animal and it later breaks free, then it will return to the last spot where you told it to stay. If you (t)alk to the animal and tell it to follow you, then you wipe out that spot and your location become the animal's destination. But just as with companions, the animal sometimes will not follow you if the distance is too large. But if his instructions are to return to a fixed location, then I think that he will always go back there.

So yes, you can leave your animal behind before entering battle, and it will probably be there when you get back. But that may not be wise. In my limited experience, unmounted animals don't seem to draw aggression, and they are slow to enter combat. Mounted animals OTOH will immediately attack whatever you attack, which generally gets them maimed since they have no shield, no armor, and low fighting skills.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 07:45:16 pm »

I haven't played much adventure like some other players on these forums. But FWIW, here's my untested theory: You can talk to the animal and tell it to stay put. If you then lead or mount the animal and it later breaks free, then it will return to the last spot where you told it to stay. If you (t)alk to the animal and tell it to follow you, then you wipe out that spot and your location become the animal's destination. But just as with companions, the animal sometimes will not follow you if the distance is too large. But if his instructions are to return to a fixed location, then I think that he will always go back there.

So yes, you can leave your animal behind before entering battle, and it will probably be there when you get back. But that may not be wise. In my limited experience, unmounted animals don't seem to draw aggression, and they are slow to enter combat. Mounted animals OTOH will immediately attack whatever you attack, which generally gets them maimed since they have no shield, no armor, and low fighting skills.

Have messed around with the order function a bit and it still leaves a lot to be desired.  Might be a limitation of the game though, since I noticed my adventurer's horse wanders around the area I have claimed and built a small cabin as a establishing base of operations.  The horse will wander around the site, even after being put into a paddock and being ordered to stay and then letting the building function do it's thing.  Thankfully it does stay around the site, but still would be nice to be able to hitch mounts and pack animals to something while murderspelunking.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 12:02:34 am »

Have messed around with the order function a bit and it still leaves a lot to be desired.  Might be a limitation of the game though, since I noticed my adventurer's horse wanders around the area I have claimed and built a small cabin as a establishing base of operations.  The horse will wander around the site, even after being put into a paddock and being ordered to stay and then letting the building function do it's thing.  Thankfully it does stay around the site, but still would be nice to be able to hitch mounts and pack animals to something while murderspelunking.
The downside of tying up the horse would be leaving it unable to run away if attacked. The Elder Scrolls games had a similar problem, as I recall. In Oblivion your horse would wait outside the cave, and there was a chance that it would be killed by passing wildlife while you weren't on hand to protect it. In Skyrim I remember a horn that would just teleport the horse to your location, though that might have been a mod.

In real life, horses take a lot of fussing over. I don't think you would ever leave one tied up and unattended.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 12:40:59 am »

In real life, horses take a lot of fussing over. I don't think you would ever leave one tied up and unattended.
I... can categorically confirm that that is a normal thing to do.
Pages: [1] 2