Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do i get a mount?  (Read 16385 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: How do i get a mount?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 09:38:13 am »

I concluded that mounts were more trouble than they were worth. They would fight and get injured because they had no armor. Or they would get scared, toss the rider, run off, and never return.

Pack animals, OTOH, I found to be extremely useful.

Yeah, too many gameplay downsides for mounts.

You only level Rider in slow/local travel mode, and only for the character you are currently using, so you need to alternate between the active adventurer for a skill that seems somewhat useless. Don't know what benefit legendary rider would give. Ambusher does not level when mounted either.

On the otherhand, running on foot in slow/local travel mode has always conferred leveling to both Agility and Endurance, and can be used while leading your pack animal. Downside is it's tedious because of the speed drop, and a pack animal can get spooked meaning they can only carry stuff that you feel is easily replaceable/non-essential.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 08:04:20 am »

Two mount (or any pet) quirks:

1: Pets are only (to borrow delphonso's phrase) baked-in to your world, if they were acquired through character gen, or after a retire/unretire process. Otherwise a player character, on being asked about their mount/pet will say they do not know them. The Ultima Siege Perilous effect.

2: If you split your group up, you need each player character to tell their pet/mount to wait here, as the old off-load/reload site wierdness will offload but never reload the pets of PCs who have been told to wait. Won't matter if pets were baked-in to the world.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 05:34:11 pm »

Just (h)old them, and you'll get an option to "Make this creature your pet". You can freely take domesticated animals, AFAIK.

Riding them is a bit trickier. Sometimes they knock you off. It's probably related to riding skill.

Is it possible to do this with creatures that have been captured and tamed from the wild (not domestic or doesn't start off as domestic) by a fortress such as lions, bobcats, and tigers?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 07:01:36 am »

so far from what I gathered pets are basically toady giving you companions from beings that can't talk so you end up with the same hardships one would get from trying to order around an reanimated corpse.

that said you could use them as gifts and technically... there is a pet option that can talk ala the gremlins you can acquire and buy loads of them in bulk if you want to have a party of folks that can hold a conversation and probably hold an aim a crossbow or weapon.
but yeah mount wise they aren't 'give me a boost in speed' option and more you get to ride around the back of a being that you have to struggle to keep them from doing what ever they want while following you.

ok had to check it seems like pets start with no civ ids or are part of any civ, they gain a historical figure and the only hf link they get is that the adventurer is their owner. there's no 'you're my pet' hf link for the adventurer so that explains the not knowing of the pet. don't know if talking to them will fix that but this explains that comment about not knowing... since yeah they literally don't know anything about the pet on start up of the adventurer.

like the funny solution to these mount woes was I think solved via modding by ... making the pets talk. which I remember was how I got pets to work before toady added them in by having an interaction that lets you communicate with any creature that doesn't have can speak then giving them that option,

I think the reason ambusher doesn't level on mounted because you're controlling the mount thus you control the movement options and one of them is go in ambush which doesn't really send you the rider in ambush just the mount so what you're doing is training your mount those skills while your adventurer is just riding on top like a baby being carried around by a sneaking mother.
so to train ambusher yourself you need to go into ambush on foot, then hop on the mount then go ambush mode on the mount.

so far on my companion studies followers that you some how ditch will try to follow you to rejoin back to the group and the few moments where this doesn't happen is if you lose someone on a site as doing so causes them to settle into that site which I guess with pets means they either settle in and become part of the livestock or something else.

though I usually go for companions that can handle themselves so I don't have to worry about them horribly dying... which often means getting the large animals.

Have messed around with the order function a bit and it still leaves a lot to be desired.  Might be a limitation of the game though, since I noticed my adventurer's horse wanders around the area I have claimed and built a small cabin as a establishing base of operations.  The horse will wander around the site, even after being put into a paddock and being ordered to stay and then letting the building function do it's thing.  Thankfully it does stay around the site, but still would be nice to be able to hitch mounts and pack animals to something while murderspelunking.

ok so here's the big oopsy I think you need to zone the companions to the site to get them to stay in that spot and I think the game doesn't really let you do this with non talking sapient(?) creatures so you're pretty much telling your pet to wait on your camp and the game just settles them in or pretty much makes them an 'army' group to wait for your return.

so it feels like there something in place that was stopping the ability to get non sapient beings to be zoned in camps either some check to stop the list of companions to get cluttered from all the zombies adventurers might have way back, or some bug fix that meant removing this from the player's grasp or what not.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 01:45:12 am »

my party's mounts have all died off, so i need to wander around and find some strays to adopt.  any suggestions on likely places to look?

i think i found my original horses on the outskirts of a hamlet or hillocks, but i don't really remember (i don't think i bought them at chargen, we're peasants and didn't have much budget for animals)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 02:47:59 pm »

If you need mounts that are also pack animals, then that's the place to get them. You can find them in towns too, and though you may have to comb the area to find any, you'll find a good selection to choose from, and enough for a whole party.

If you need mounts more than pack animals, try one of the larger retreats to find grizzlies, big cats and sometimes giant cats.And if you go underground in any goblin pits or dark fortresses you can nab beak dogs, which are much better at combat. Just be sure to claim them before trying to name them; they'll get hostile to everyone otherwise.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:58 am »

So i just take the nearest horse and say, "Nobody would mind if i took this horse right?" and since toady hasn't programmed in a response to that it's perfectly legal. Cool, thanks for the swift response!

Dwarven economics.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 04:00:04 pm »

Just (h)old them, and you'll get an option to "Make this creature your pet". You can freely take domesticated animals, AFAIK.

Riding them is a bit trickier. Sometimes they knock you off. It's probably related to riding skill.

Hmmm (h) does nothing for me, how do you adopt a stray? Grabbing them with wrestling also seems to not be the correct method.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2021, 08:07:15 pm »

In towns (only experience with vanilla) there can be 'stray horse' 'stray two humped camel' if it is stray you can go towards it and press 'h' like you say you have. It should give prompts to claim it. Further more you can tame draltha and such in the caverns in fort mode and claim them to be mounts also.
Like others have said being an outsider can open up pet options. Even making it possible to have outsider pets in a fort.
But we all digress.
Press H.

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2021, 10:35:29 pm »

In towns (only experience with vanilla) there can be 'stray horse' 'stray two humped camel' if it is stray you can go towards it and press 'h' like you say you have. It should give prompts to claim it. Further more you can tame draltha and such in the caverns in fort mode and claim them to be mounts also.
Like others have said being an outsider can open up pet options. Even making it possible to have outsider pets in a fort.
But we all digress.
Press H.

Interesting, I'm near a town, but a fair bit north of it, and there's just three 'stray horse's hanging around, would be perfect for me and my two companions...I wonder what has gone wrong. Thanks, I'll try to figure out if it's a bug or something else I'm doing wrong.

Just out of curiosity, the 'h' button for me is hang onto terrain or climb, is this what it normally is for everyone else??

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2021, 10:40:24 pm »

Geez controls are muscle memory for me now but I think climb/hang is H
Yeah I often get annoyed at mounting/unmounting under trees due to the expanded options h provides when near climbables.
If that doesn't work try making another adventurer with a few pet mounts and gift them to your other adventurers.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2021, 10:43:22 pm »

Just out of curiosity, the 'h' button for me is hang onto terrain or climb, is this what it normally is for everyone else??

In case it isn't clear - you are holding on to the animal, as you would a wall - which means you need to be right next to them. You probably also need a free hand to grasp them. It's the same menu as 'h'olding onto a wall.

Geez controls are muscle memory for me now but I think climb/hang is H

Careful - 'H' and 'h' are different commands.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2021, 09:50:26 am »

my party's mounts have all died off, so i need to wander around and find some strays to adopt.  any suggestions on likely places to look?

i think i found my original horses on the outskirts of a hamlet or hillocks, but i don't really remember (i don't think i bought them at chargen, we're peasants and didn't have much budget for animals)

Presuming ASCII and standard color schemes, any light green area of a site will have animals assigned to them. Easy enough to fast travel to each light green blot to check for horses.

Horses that are thin + very/incredibly muscular have the highest gait speeds, and the first time you load a site determines RNG luck of what you'll get build-wise, as it does with every non-historical.
Pages: 1 [2]