Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Podcasts and Videos Thread (Now with Youtube embedding)  (Read 9696 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Podcasts and Videos Thread (Now with Youtube embedding)
« on: August 19, 2020, 05:49:00 am »

A thread for posting longer videos and recommending podcasts or series

EDIT: To embed Youtube videos try this experimental Greasemonkey/Tamermonkey script:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I currently suggest Tampermonkey as the user script manager of choice. Greasemonkey hasn't kept up well in recent years.

Often I want somewhere to post longer videos on a number of topics, but they don't fit well with the fast flow of the many discussion threads, and someone recently asked why we don't have a thread for podcasts. So I made one.

I'll start with this one for some reason: Tarn Adams interview from June 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhHkJQ3KgY

Also recommended, the Extra History subchannel of Extra Credits. This playlist is always updated, and the topics range from military, political, economic and social history.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5Aq7g4bil7bnGi0A8gTsawu

For an audio podcast, I'm working through Qanon Anonymous, here:
https://podbay.fm/p/qanon-anonymous
I recommend either Episode 86: The Mole Children or Episode 1: An Introduction to Qanon. The episodes can pretty much be listened to in any order though they do sometimes reference previous content.

If those weren't nerdy enough, the Angry Video Game Nerd is an fun watch. Reviews of good games are boring, just play them.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2B009153AC977F90
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:31:28 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts and Videos Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:39:19 am »

Humans Need Not Apply
Not part of a series
Chanel=CGP Grey

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:50:43 am »

Humans Need Not Apply

Cool, so I rewatched that ( CGP Grey has a pretty great channel btw) and thought I'd follow that up with this related video:

The Third Industrial Revolution
This is a full ~1h 44m documentary however, but it's well worth checking out.

For something shorter, here's the latest video from Ars Technica's War Stories series; interviews with classic game developers. This one is about Diablo's evolution from turn-base roguelike into action RPG:

How One Gameplay Decision Changed Diablo Forever
I haven't checked out many of these before so I'll definitely have a look at other episodes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:40:28 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 10:32:51 am »

On Braess's Paradox, or why adding more roads to a network (or links in networks in general) doesn't necessarily improve capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALezV_Fwi0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:06:45 am by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:49:23 am »

Well, here's some podcasts.

Spoiler: Comedy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actual Play/RPGs (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 01:13:19 pm »

Should Computers Run the World? - with Hannah Fry

On the topic of using AI to make real-world decisions and the limitations, issues that can arise.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 05:06:40 pm »

I've recently stumbled upon Malcolm Gladwell's 'Revisionist History' podcast. His is the most wonderfully soothing voice, that I can listen to even if he's just reading adverts.
The content is great. A very humanist look at various events or issues (overlooked and misunderstood, is the motto). But those seem almost like just a starting point to understanding your fellow humans better. Made me appreciate Elvis Presley and country music, something I had never thought possible. ;)
http://revisionisthistory.com/

Another fantastic find is Cadence. It's about music. Why is music? How is music? Those kinds of questions. It's very eclectic in its scope. Goes into neuroscience, biology, but also discussions with practising musicians on finer points of their craft. If one wants to understand music, it's one of the better places to start. Oh, and the intro music is the bestest (Rhian Sheehan's 'La Boîte à Musique').
https://soundcloud.com/cadencepodcast/sets

Both have very high production qualities. They're more like carefully crafted shows (or whatever is the audio version of a show) than just some people casually discussing a topic.

For (what I think are) incisive discussions on various high-brow topics I go to Sean Carroll's 'Mindscape' and Sam Harris' 'Making sense' (the latter has started to lock parts of the content behind a paywall recently, but one can get a freebie pretty much just by mailing them).

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 06:58:00 am »

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:29 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:27:06 am by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 09:56:48 pm »

Oh hey.

Podcasts I listen to, not many...

The ParaPod, released a movie based on the podcast shortly before the apocalypse, a sceptic anda believer argue the toss over the paranormal. Both are comedians, it is very funny, though one of them routinely doesn’t do their homework so can get frustrating.

The Adventure Zone is three veteran podcasters playing D&D with their dad. Very funny, and they’ve gone through 2 different campaigns (the second one wasn’t D&D) and are currently doing a third one, which is D&D.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 06:48:57 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:27:11 am by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 02:22:47 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 03:57:00 am »

Two Minute Papers: TecoGAN, The latest NN for upscaling crappy video.

This kind of thing has several implications. First, put old VHS footage into this, and have 'remastered' versions of old stuff even if they lost the originals. Second, better compression: squish the crap out of your video based on how the detail-enhancer actually works. But, just making video look how it should have looked is clearly only the start. What if you could teach it what a good cartoon is meant to look like then feed shittily made cartoons into it? Would it spit out a better version that never existed. How much better than the original can it look? Imagine an NN that basically redraws a cartoon while keeping the general parameters of the unique art style intact, and adds things like decent shading and more of a cell-shaded 3d-ish feel to it.

Just upscaling with fake detail is the start, move a little beyond that and NNs can start creatively enhancing works. Two Minute Papers on the animation of the Mona Lisa for an early example of that. Think of this: if you had a tool that could animate any drawing anyone had ever made, so if for example there was a depiction of a character from a book cover art, you could feed that into an algorithm then have a 3D animatable character you could put in your own fan movies and stuff.

Also, for reference from Computerphile, Vectoring Words (Word Embeddings). This stuff is more low-level and technical than the stuff in Two Minute Papers which is all about the wow factor, but vectoring words, which uses the Transformer NN is something that's really easy to do at home. The general idea here is that you can take a large set of inputs, the same set of outputs, and you train an NN to map the set of inputs to itself (the input equals the output). The trick is that in the middle, the data is squeezed into a very narrow layer, which we're calling a vector of numbers.

In the video he shows how you can "vectorize" words, then you can manipulate the vectors in surprisingly powerful ways. For example, take the vector for 'King' subtract the vector for 'Man', add vector 'Woman' and the closest vector is 'Queen'. Take 'Moo', subtract 'Cow' and add 'Pig', and check what vector you get and it's 'Oink'. And many others. Basically allows you to do calculus on concepts. And all of this is just from feeding data in with no model.

For a video example, if you input millions of faces into a Transformer network and told the network to output the same face, but squeezed the information through a layer only 10 cells wide, what the network does is boil it down to 10 factors/sliders that encode what's different about each different face, then the second half of the network actually becomes a face-building algorithm which takes those 10 sliders and works out how to make a face from them. All the information about how faces work is now transferred to the network itself, the vector does not contain it. You can now chop off the second half of the network, feed 10 random numbers into it and it'll keep spitting out random faces. This is what This Person Does Not Exist is doing, although they're using far more than the 10 sliders I gave in the example.

I'm interested to try something like that out, but I'm looking for a good data set to do it on. One thing I'm thinking of is to put stats for heaps of D&D monster or similar into a transformer then making a new monster generator from that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:42:40 pm by Reelya »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 04:39:26 pm »

Wouldn’t knowing about constitute thinking about it? Thus those who are trying to get others to lose lose when they begin the prank preparing
Pages: [1] 2 3