Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58346 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile

The Ageless Plane c. 250

I had the idea for a succession fortress game which decides its turns differently than the usual method of simply running through a numbered list of overseers. In this game, we will hold elections to decide who shall rule over the fortress for one year. Will these elections be a civil affair with the best dwarf for the job chosen? Will this quickly devolve into political backstabbing and the worst of dwarven nature coming out? Only time will tell.

Electoral Process:
–Named dwarves should declare themselves a member of a political party. You are free to start your own.
–At the end of each year, an election shall be held to decide the next year's overseer.
–Every dorfed individual is eligible to vote and is eligible to stand for election, though a certain number of turns must pass before one who has previously been elected overseer may serve again (this will be decided based on how many people we get to join the game).
–Each member of the voting population will cast a vote for whom he or she wants to be overseer, the winner being the dwarf with an absolute majority (over 50%) of the vote.

Because you will need over 50% of the vote to become overseer, it will be necessary to forge alliances and make deals to sway others to your cause. This can be done openly (ideally in the form of RPing to make the game more fun) or in backroom deals done via DMs.

Other Rules:
–You will have two weeks real time to bring the fort to the end of winter so that we can hold an election. Please inform us that you have begun so that we know you are taking your turn.
–In the event that you do not finish your turn, an election will be forced to appoint a new overseer to finish your year.
–This isn't really a rule as much as it is an encouragement, but you are free to role play as much as you want and it would be nice if we could get people posting in-character material even when it's not their turn. It helps a succession fort become a lot more fun and memorable and it helps when this game is based around political alliances and intrigue.

The Electors of Goldsilver:
  • ChaosPotato (Diggers’ Party)
  • Cnidaros (Independent)
  • Eniteris II (Sparkly Unicorn Party)
  • Fatcat (Sunlit Action Coalition)
  • Imic (Stukist)
  • LadyBrassroast (Independent)
  • Lucky (Independent)
  • Maximum Spin (Sunlit Action Coalition)
  • Nephilim (Stukist)
  • Noagga (Independent)
  • Quantum Drop (Penitent Coalition)
  • Radipon (United Soapmaking Advocates)
  • Yung Boujee (Sparkly Unicorn Party)

Electoral History:
NumberElection Year
Overseer
Party
Votes
Nephilim (Travis Bickle)Stukist Partyshort straw
fatcatPlanthomes-Sunny Coalition of Creatures5/7 (71%)
Maximum SpinMiners' and Farm Workers' United Action Party5/9 (56%)
Eniteris (Radipon)United Soapmaking Advocates4/7 (57%)
fatcatPlanthomes-Minefarms Sunlit Action Coalition3/5 (60%)
Nephilim (Travis Bickle)Stukist Party6/8 (75%)
Quantum DropThe Penitent Coalition4/7 (57%)
TonnotThe Sparkly Unicorn Party4/7 (57%)
Maximum SpinPlanthomes-Minefarms Sunlit Action Coalition5/6 (83%)

Active Political Parties:
Spoiler: The Penitent Coalition (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stukist Party (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Diggers' Party (click to show/hide)

Inactive Political Parties:

Defunct Political Parties:

Other Groups & Entities:
Spoiler: The Mountain Creed (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:22:46 pm by Travis Bickle »
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Democracy [SUCCESSION FORT]
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:24 am »

I would like to form the Miners' and Farm Workers' United Action Party. Our mission statement will be to overthrow the tyranny of the woodcutters and artisans. Engravers are provisionally allowed but ON NOTICE.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:18:43 pm »

I would like to form the Miners' and Farm Workers' United Action Party. Our mission statement will be to overthrow the tyranny of the woodcutters and artisans. Engravers are provisionally allowed but ON NOTICE.
Sure. I take it you want to be dorfed as a miner and/or farmer?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:58:18 am »

I am leaving it up to you whether you want the party to make sense or be profoundly idiotic. :P

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:01:09 pm »

I am leaving it up to you whether you want the party to make sense or be profoundly idiotic. :P
Very well.  ;)

I'll see if we get any more players before I start the game. If we don't get enough players now or during my turn the voting game doesn't really work.  :-\

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: [Seeking Players] Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 10:21:51 pm »

I would like to join, but I'd have to think up a party still. I'd like an animal trainer if possible.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 02:00:19 am »

I would like to join, but I'd have to think up a party still. I'd like an animal trainer if possible.
Glad to have you aboard.  :)

Ideally we'll get some more players, but with three players including myself I feel like I can at least start the game. I'll begin playing and posting updates of the first year tomorrow.

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 03:45:54 am »

I think it's time for my first community game. Count me in as a glassmaker/gem setter.

I would also like to announce the formation of The Sparkly Unicorn Party. Our tentative manifesto is as follows:

Economic Policy:
-Phasing out of non-shiny materials for crafts, furniture and constructions. Reasonable exemptions made for wooden beds.
- A gem window quota
- All livestock required to meet minimum standards of cuteness and/or majestic splendour. Ugly beasts will be subject to immediate slaughter or atom smashing.
-A dedication to fortress beautification

Immigration Policy:
- Visiting goblins, kobolds, necromancers, their experiments, undead, night creatures and other ugly races to be met with immediate violence.
- Animal person immigration rights to be handled on a case by case basis via a public referendum to decide whether they are aesthetically pleasing enough to deserve to live.

Defense Policy:
- As our prime representation abroad, our military must look the part. All non-artifact equipment must either be forged of precious metals silver or adamantine, or else decorated to satisfactory degree with appropriate materials.
- Citizens afflicted with particularly ugly scars or otherwise deformed to be exiled to the caverns where they will earn their right to a beautiful citizen's funeral by bringing death to the ugly troglydytic spawn of the deep.

Patronage of The Arts:
- Our craftsdworfs' superior craftsmanship deserves to be heralded before the whole world. The hiding away of artifacts is forbidden and all must be worn or displayed prominently in areas where they can awe and inspire locals and foreigners alike.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:48:08 am by BoujeeTheAlan »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:58 pm »

Time to get this show on the road.

Prologue
In the year 250, Nish Belladmires, seventh king of The Confining Clasps, approved an expedition to found a new fortress and expand the borders of the Dwarven nation. This expedition was to leave for the mountain range known as The Amber Teeth, making this new fortress the northernmost fortress in Dwarven civilization, as well as the first civilized settlement north of The Routed Hill. In honor of this distinction, the expedition group was given given the name of Irolonol, or The North Mountain.

This expedition group had not only the aforementioned distinction, but also a unique rule included in its royal charter. According to this rule, after the first year of settlement, overseers will be elected yearly by a popular vote. This experiment, according to the king, would show the rest of The Confining Clasps whether or not such a form of government would be suitable for the rest of Dwarvenkind.

Journal of Nephilim, Expedition Leader of The North Mountain
14th Granite, 250—The expedition has been launched without incident. So far no-one seems to suspect anything, least of all the six others with me. That’s good. For now I should be careful with whom I make friends, as any one of them could be spies. Even so, I have managed to avoid arousing suspicions enough so far that I’ve been appointed the expedition leader of this group for now. That’s a pretty meaningless job though. Once elections get started and the role of overseer is up for grabs, that’ll be the real prize to go after.

A handful of the other dwarves in this expedition have caught my eye. A ranger known as fatcat seems to have some skill with training animals. She should be useful to us in getting the dogs we’ve brought along trained for combat. The two others I got the chance to get acquainted with seem to be particularly attracted to the elections that will start this Obsidian. BoujeeTheAlan, the gem cutter, kept talking about how he wants to institute some sort of beautification program. Another Dwarf, Maximum Spin, went on a tirade about how he was a representative of the Miners’ and Farm Workers’ United Action Party and that under his leadership the “tyranny” of woodcutters would be put to an end. This confused me as in the papers I received prior to us departing the capital he was listed as a woodcutter and a carpenter, however when I asked him about this he quickly changed the subject.

We’re getting close to our destination as I write this. I’ll turn in for a quick rest, and by the time I wake up we’ll probably be there.

Journal of Nephilim, Provisional Overseer of Goldsilver
15th Granite, 250—We arrived this morning at the base of a small, silty mountain. Nearby is a shallow brook which should supply us with water if the worst occurs and we run out of booze. Other than that source of water and the patch of grass surrounding it, there’s no sign that this spot is anything but a wasteland. We haven’t seen any animals yet, and there’s not a single tree in sight—Maximum Spin may get a chance to be a miner after all. But it doesn’t matter if this place looks dead on the outside, for we dwarves seek fortune beneath the earth.

The first overseer election will not occur until the last day of Obsidian, yet we still needed someone to act as provisional overseer for this first year. I had the dubious honor of drawing the shortest piece of string, so that job has gone to me. I will need to act carefully to build trust and find allies during this first year if I am to accomplish my mission. For now, it is time to strike the earth.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 10:03:07 pm »

My party is going to be called Erokbom Adranzar Mes, "Planthomes the sunny Coalition of Creatures."

The purpose of the party is to encourage the full exploitation of all surface resources, whether they are plants, trees, or wild animals. This can include surface farms, foraging workers, or trap lines to capture and train wildlife to greater usefulness to Dwarvenkind.

The underground is not despised, but it is not the only, or even the main source of materials or food, except for stone and metal. It's best use is as a safe place to live in case of trouble with other races.

Within the bounds of the goal to use primarily surface materials, all members should try to be practical over all other concerns.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 12:13:06 am »

@Travis Bickle Do you have a party yourself, or are you currently unaligned?
Just trying to figure this out.  :)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 01:19:47 am »

@Travis Bickle Do you have a party yourself, or are you currently unaligned?
Just trying to figure this out.  :)
I have an idea for a party I'm going to make. I'll probably include a write-up on that party in my next update.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 02:06:29 pm »

Could you list the dwarven gods of this civilazation?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 04:39:57 pm »

Count me in. Don’t really mind what you Dorf me as.
Spoiler: Party Information (click to show/hide)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 08:32:47 pm »

Could you list the dwarven gods of this civilazation?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32