Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 59164 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2020, 01:23:07 pm »

MS is a great dwarf after all! although bit stern at times, he's at least keeping the fort running without any major disaster, and under his leadership, we were able to get an upper hand in the vulture war, we got two of those flying bastards! hopefully next year we can finish the war, but on other news, MS is nearly done constructing my temple, which I didn't expect him to do. I'm also a mother of  5 now! and I'm so feel filled with joy! I can't help, but to compare my new chlids features with my other 4 children! My new child have really been catching my attention more lately, that I never get the chance to pray to  Doren. Hopefully I can do some peaceful praying when the temple is done, but I still haven't found a proper way to pray him. I did everything that I could think of, and yet, Doren does not respond.

QD has also been a bit quiet lately, which makes me a bit worried. Maybe she can sense my presence? If this is the case, this can be bad for me. She must be legendary worshiper of Armok, while I am nothing more than a  novice when it comes to worshiping to Doren, but I hope, no! I know, I will find a way to worship Doren so I can ensure  that the evil creator never awakes from his slumber. This is my destiny. I can't let QD overwhelming power turn my legs to noodle, I have to be brave in  the face of danger and death. 

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

MS is a great dwarf after all! although bit stern at times, he's at least keeping the fort running without any major disaster,
about that
(it's not actually THAT bad, but there were problems)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2020, 07:17:30 pm »

252 GA 1

Newcomers from overmountain. I count only nine; Goldsilver now boasts one short hundred and eight occupants, though only fourscore and seven are properly considered citizens. The number of dead stands at seven and has not yet increased during my rule, a fact for which I am deeply thankful.

252 GA 14

A fisherdwarfs' guild has been established today. It seems that the guild I earlier mistook for a fisherdwarf's guild was in fact a fishery workers' guild, which I am assured is something different in a way that has not yet been satisfactorily explained to me. I will force them to split the space originally allocated as the fishery workers' guildhall as an expression of my contempt. I suspect I will have to leave the duty of constructing actual buildings for them to my successor, a fact for which I feel no guilt whatsoever.

252 GA 27

It is my own fault. I should have paid attention. Amid the chaos I simply forgot. Out of sight as she was in the makeshift masonry warrens, how could I know she was lacking for some crucial material? Nobody knew. Yet I should have paid attention.

I will have a tomb prepared so that we are ready.

252 LI 3

An elven ambush upon the southern hillside. In fact, the fortress is nearly enclosed, though the wall is not completed according to specification; and the small gap is opposite the point of the foes' entry. I order the gate closed while the defense squad is mustered.

252 LI 4

First blood is drawn in the night. A bowelf is quickly killed but our own hammerdwarf Inod is surrounded and laid low after taking several arrows to the knee and elsewhere. I remember my words upon the first of Galena but the memory is ash. I will have a second tomb prepared, and likely more.

Within hours, five more elves and two dwarves are dead. Three elves remain, none with ranged arms. However, they have begun to advance upon the hillside structure, where certain citizens are pinned, and only few of the surviving militia are within sight, including two left far behind after having executed a flanking action. It remains to be seen what will happen next.

252 LI 5

We recuperate and grieve. The elves were routed before reaching the pyramid's entrance. Though no further dwarves have yet died, four warriors are injured and in questionable status. The count of survivors remains to be seen. When the dust settles I shall order the regiment brought back to full strength. I must also give credit to the assistance of our resident monster slayers, to whom elves clearly count as monsters. I am inclined to agree.

252 LI 17

As of today, all dwarves alive upon the fifth remain alive. The caravan from our own Confining Clasps was sighted today, though it may take a few days to navigate the mountain. The curtain wall now encloses the fortress completely. While it will still take much more work to fulfill the design, it now protects us from invaders without ranged weapons. Progress is also being made in the opening up of our ceilings to meet the daylight fatcat and I have painstakingly brought so tantalisingly close above our heads. However, Lucky's structure is a clear weakness. I consider replacing the surface entrance with underground access, though I know fatcat would not approve. In happier news, I have begun designing a small library in the pyramid's ample loft space.

252 LI 20

More migrants from overmountain as the wagons pull into the depot. I count ten. I understand that this brings the population of Goldsilver to 115. Mayor Dumed has concluded a trade agreement with the Mountainhomes; despite my reservations I allowed him to request wood and wood products, as well as many other supplies I hope will be useful. In exchange, the merchants offered premium prices on a few select exports, most importantly cheese, which I already hoped to be able to produce if milking livestock can be secured.

Peasant Cerol's condition continues to decline. I know not how to cheer her and have resigned myself to the inevitable.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2020, 01:41:15 pm »

252 SA 4

Some woodcrafters arrived amid the recent migration and have the gall to request my permission to form a woodworkers' guild. My contempt is beyond mortal imagining. I reject the proposal curtly. If woodworkers wish to meet during my administration they shall have to do it cowering in fear under cover of darkness. There can be no accord with treesmiths. I will never forgive.

252 SA 11

Dan the Salesdwarf falls into a secretive mood. Trader Nephilim still has not made any effort to conduct trade with the dwarven merchants, wherefore I have fired him as broker and replaced him with a migrant arrived this year whose skills in the domain surpass. I should have done this as soon as she arrived but felt a sense of obligation to our cofounder and first overseer. This sense of obligation has worn somewhat the more time Nephilim spends asleep.

252 SA 12

Zalthor has finally died from his madness. His tomb has already been prepared in the crypt. I have ordered an expansion of the crypt as well, some time ago, which I assume will eventually be performed.

Trade has been concluded. It is not all I had hoped for. However, at least some raw materials and a significant number of female animals are secured. I draw up orders for a supply of nesting boxes. I shudder to realise my year is already almost over and so little has been done — although the fortress is secured from the outside (except by air), at least. I decide to halt further (largely cosmetic) wall-building and focus entirely upon finishing the opening of the ceiling, which will also free up non-miner labour to expand industry so that the next electee will have more trade goods.

252 TI 24

Salesdwarf Dan completes a slate armour stand. It contains no wood whatsoever. Salesdwarf Dan is now my third favourite dwarf (after fatcat and myself).

252 TI 27

It seems that Goldsilver has spawned its first subcolony. The hillocks of Glidegem in the southeast now swarm with dwarven settlers dependent upon our own largesse. I am unimpressed by any dwarf who refuses to work in Goldsilver directly, especially as I suspect they have woodcutters there.

A largely uneventful end to the season. Winter has begun and I hope to conclude it shortly! I know I have plenty of time left, but I'm starting to feel like it's been forever...
(I have no idea what Warmthrushed was.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2020, 04:14:18 pm »

252 MO 5

Cerol has succumbed to the madness. She will not be missed. At least not by me. A tomb has been prepared.

252 OP 13

Affrontery without surcease from the keafolk. They harm none but interrupt work and terrify the populace. I do not know why they have not yet been made pincushions like the last, but I order an official military operation in despair.

252 OB 23

Almost at the close of the year, Urist the new broker falls into a few mood. It will not be my responsibility. Of the projects on which I set my sights this year, most are essentially complete, though there is always more work to be done. Not all the stockpile ceilings have been broken through, but it will be easy enough to complete the next time I or my allies have power.

253 GA 1

And just like that, my part in this is concluded, at least until I am elected again.

All in all, I feel that my year has been extremely successful. I am enthusiastic to run again. I understand why the stresses of the position overwhelmed fatcat so, but it would appear that we are very different dwarves in that way! I would strongly encourage my successor, however, to allow the citizens to take some time off to recover from the year of hard work, now that the immediate threats to the fortress are well-contained. The constant haranguing of bird and birdfolk has driven many dwarves to considerable stress, which they will need time to work through. Some might suggest that this represents a failure of our great Plan of opening up our work areas to the sun, but this is obviously seditious nonsense. It only means that our walls are not yet high enough. Some day, ywis, I will have the chance to implement my great solution to this problem, the gem-roof of Goldsilver, but, until then, I recommend you caution.

GOLDSILVER, 253

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2020, 06:14:25 am »

Private Letter from Eniteris to Rapidon, Leader of the United Soapmaking Advocates

Dear Leader,

I would like to apologize for my outburst last year during the election. I am sorry for splintering our faction so, but we must adopt a different strategy if we are to win the hearts and minds of the people. This division is unbecoming of our party, and I will support you in the upcoming election if you run your campaign with passion. Alternatively, if you wish, I may write your speeches, or run in your stead if that is preferable.

And we must win. Especially now. The death of the Maggot was a tragedy, but now with the passing of Zalthor I believe more sinister machinations are afoot. They've killed off all the members of the Communal Party, and we must be wary lest our party falls to the same fate. Keep your eyes and ears to the walls. There are plans in motion, I am sure of it.

With all this focus on stone blocks, I fear that opportunities are going to waste. These constant attacks by wildlife can be easily converted to tallow to help clean the world. We are uniquely positioned to take charge and ramp up soap production. Perhaps we could ally with one of the other parties and complete their constructions with soap.

We must take a decisive step. The longer we wait, the more we get crushed under the plans of others. We must step out from under the wheels of others and drive our own plans forward.

May Armok guide us,

Eniteris

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2020, 12:42:53 pm »

These constant attacks by wildlife can be easily converted to tallow to help clean the world.
(Haha, I wish. For some reason our hunters have stopped caring and nothing ever gets killed. I couldn't even get the second group of keafolk killed when I sent in a crossbow squad. Nobody seems to want to collect the littering ammunition everywhere either, even though it's unforbidden; I suspect these facts are related.)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2020, 05:40:27 am »

If Zalthor wishes to be redorfed with a new character, he is free to request. Meanwhile, it is time once again for an ELECTION!

Events of 28th Obsidian, 252
The electorate of Goldsilver gather into the rough stone guildhall. On account of the ambitious projects of of 251–252 exposing most of the fortress to the open air, the old dining room was deemed to be no longer secure for closed door political debate as it had been in previous years. Thus, the guildhall was temporarily emptied of its residents and chairs and tables were set up for the electorate. After all of this, the doors are tightly shut and the election commences.

"It is time to begin," the erstwhile broker Nephilim said. "Will any dwarf here offer his or her name for the ballot?"

As a side note, I never formally decided how many turns must pass before someone is allowed to run for overseer again. I was thinking that at least three turns should pass before you can run again, but I'd like to know if anyone thinks it should be more or fewer turns in between runs.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »

"Before we begin," Maximum Spin offers in a stentorian voice while rising to take the metaphorical spotlight, "I am privileged to announce some joyous news."
He motions for fatcat to stand as well. "After intense backroom political negotiations," [someone in the back sniggers,] "fatcat and I have decided formally to unite our party organisations to better serve our joint platform going forward. Though I believe neither of us have intention to run for this election, we will be making our endorsements as co-leaders of the new Planthomes-Minefarms Sunlit Action Coalition. Fatcat, did you have anything to add?"

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2020, 02:07:22 pm »

Fatcat smiles, and clears her throat.
"I can only add that I look forward to working with MS here, and with all of you in the coming years. We hope that with this new alliance, the opportunities for political cooperation will be even greater. Time would fail me to expound the full platform of our new party, so I have posted it here in the guildhall for you to read if you are so inclined.
Now, since neither Maximum Spin or I are running this year, we will clear the floor for the actual candidates. May the best dwarf win."
With this she sits down quickly, and waves Max Spin down next to her, to wait for the next speaker.

OOC: I updated the platform back where I posted it on page 1. Here is the link:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177118.msg8185624#msg8185624

Also, for breaks between turns, three turns means you could run on the fourth year after you had been in charge, right? I'm for one less year than that, but of course, you can accuse me of being politically motivated for that suggestion. (For clarification, my suggestion would allow Nephilim to run this year, and me next year.) Whatever we settle on, I think we need more feedback first.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2020, 02:11:17 pm »

Also, for breaks between turns, three turns means you could run on the fourth year after you had been in charge, right? I'm for one less year than that, but of course, you can accuse me of being politically motivated for that suggestion. (For clarification, my suggestion would allow Nephilim to run this year, and me next year.) Whatever we settle on, I think we need more feedback first.
This happens to be exactly what I was thinking too. I promise we didn't collude on that! :P It would mean a break of at least one year between any of the two-person parties, which seems reasonable.

(Assume Maximum Spin the dwarf takes his seat as well.)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2020, 03:51:55 pm »

(Quantum arises, arms crossed and expression neutral.)

"I shall be blunt: this year was a trying one for both us and the general population. While Armok alone knows what the future holds for our fortress, I have a number of plans that - with His grace - may lessen the damaging effects of this year's events and safeguard the future of our fortress. The tragedies of the last few months need not be repeated if we can help it, if only due to the risk of any who would bear us ill-will taking advantage of such instability.

The first plan shall thus feed into this goal; we must increase the amount of quality engravings and decorations in the taverns and frequently-trafficked areas of the fortress, as I understand that this may provide a degree of encouragement and raise the morale of those passing through. To this end, I am officially rescinding my party's moratorium on more... luxurious crafts until the current issues with morale are satisfactorily resolved - though I stand by my belief that such vanity is a distraction.

The second of these plans will involve accelerating the production of glass and metals for purposes of trade and combat alike. Though I cannot say that I agree with the ideology of the more business-minded among us, I recognise that the caravans of outsiders - and our mountain kin - represent an opportunity to gather material for further projects and constructions within our fortress, which we shall no doubt need.

The last-" (And here, Quantum hesitates, considering for a moment, before continuing with a degree of reluctance.) "The last of these plans involves the completion of Lucky's temple-structure, if only to remove the weakness in the defences of our home that it represents. We were, well, lucky to have repelled the attack of those forest-dwelling savages as we did, but the casualties they inflicted are dearly felt, and the fact that they were able to come so close to defiling our fortress unforgivable.

With that, I conclude my speech. My thanks for your time, and may the Gods guide you all."

(Quantum sits down in her chair, shooting Lucky a look of mixed distaste and suspicion. She reaches for her policy-sheet, and begins to write.)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:42:39 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2020, 06:41:43 am »

He motions for fatcat to stand as well. "After intense backroom political negotiations," [someone in the back sniggers,] "fatcat and I have decided formally to unite our party organisations to better serve our joint platform going forward. Though I believe neither of us have intention to run for this election, we will be making our endorsements as co-leaders of the new Planthomes-Minefarms Sunlit Action Coalition. Fatcat, did you have anything to add?"
Fatcat smiles, and clears her throat.
"I can only add that I look forward to working with MS here, and with all of you in the coming years. We hope that with this new alliance, the opportunities for political cooperation will be even greater. Time would fail me to expound the full platform of our new party, so I have posted it here in the guildhall for you to read if you are so inclined.
Now, since neither Maximum Spin or I are running this year, we will clear the floor for the actual candidates. May the best dwarf win."
With this she sits down quickly, and waves Max Spin down next to her, to wait for the next speaker.

OOC: I updated the platform back where I posted it on page 1. Here is the link:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177118.msg8185624#msg8185624
All right, I've updated the OP with this new information.

Also, for breaks between turns, three turns means you could run on the fourth year after you had been in charge, right? I'm for one less year than that, but of course, you can accuse me of being politically motivated for that suggestion. (For clarification, my suggestion would allow Nephilim to run this year, and me next year.) Whatever we settle on, I think we need more feedback first.[/i]
This happens to be exactly what I was thinking too. I promise we didn't collude on that! :P It would mean a break of at least one year between any of the two-person parties, which seems reasonable.
I'm fine with the gap being just two turns. Since the point of the game is that you can either get elected overseer a lot if you play your cards right and make the right connections or you don't get elected overseer much at all if you can't get people to vote for you, I'm fine with the gap being relatively small. Unless anyone has any objections, we'll go with this.

As of now, only Quantum Drop has declared her intention to stand for election. Does anyone else wish to run or to deliver a speech?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2020, 09:12:30 pm »

Fatcat, who was looking very contented sitting down for once, grumbles, and gets back up.
"I suppose that I should say that Maximum Spin and I have decided to endorse Quantum drop for overseer. Not that it looks like there will be much opposition."
She sits back down quickly, to enjoy the short rest from constant work.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2020, 02:33:36 am »

I sigh, and got up from my sit cradling my 5th child in my arms. "...I want to first say, thank you to Maximum Spin. When I first met you, I thought you were a mean dwarf who had this undying hatred towards woodcutters. But when you took the mantle as of overseer, I realized that you were definitely a MEAN dwarf who has this honestly unexplained hatred towards woodcutters, but...who also has a heart of gold. I never expected you to continue my project, and although you couldn't finish it, I am still very thankful for all you have done. *I turn my gaze to QD*
Although we don't see eye to eye, on many subjects, I am still grateful that you plan to finish my temple. Eventhough your reasons to finish it, differs from my reasons. I still must say thank you. I also suggest if you can, to create a little note in your policy paper, concerning a festival burrow to be established.We all know what happens when we dwarves are under a great deal of stress...it never ends well, I am not speaking as a doctor, who wants everyone here to be happy and healthy, but as a dwarf and a mother... Speaking of being a mother, being a mother of 5 children I feel it is my sole duty to protect them and to raise them in a safe environment where they can grow up to be good dwarves and contribute to the betterment of our home. But I fear the birds from the sky  will one day swoop down and carry one of my children away.and I fear the elves from the woods will slay one of my children in cold blood.  That's why I would also like to request for you to take care of those giant birds and those elves. If you can ensure me that no threat from the sky and elves will harm my children, I will endorse you. I will conclude my speech. May Doren, protect us all." I sat back on  my seat, and my baby began to cry. I quickly rock it back to sleep, and sang to my child a dwarven nursery rhyme.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32