Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58422 times)

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2020, 04:36:07 am »

"Winning with four votes: Eniteris of the United Soapmaking Advocates. In second: Quantum Drop of The Penitent Coalition.

"Eniteris is thus elected as the third overseer of Goldsilver. I must extend my congratulations to him for his victory, and I wish him the best in the coming year.

Eniteris stands and takes a deep bow.

"I thank you all for the show of support. I will not let you down. This year we will strike magma. This year we will forge our arms. This year we will request iron ore from the caravans. This year will be the first step towards a cleaner future!

SOAP 253!"

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2020, 06:07:12 am »

(Quantum gives Eniteris a stiff nod).

"Let us hope your words ring true, Eniteris. May Armok guide you."
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:33 am »

"I do wonder," Maximum Spin muses mostly to himself, but out loud, "whether Nephilim voted against Quantum Drop, and what that might bode for their relationship..."

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2020, 03:35:17 pm »

Personal Journal of Eniteris Coppermirrors

Granite 1, 253

After an evening of celebrations, I decide to take spend the time surveying the entire fortress, something that I have neglected to do until now, only hearing reports as they trickled in. I asked Maximum Spin if there was some sort of orientation packet that came with the position of Overseer, but he just shrugged and said "You're in charge now." So, I take my two feet and begin to do the rounds.

The Wall is grander in scope that I had initially anticipated; it sprawls nearly out of the mountains and into the plains beyond. A massive undertaking, yes, but also massively wasteful. No matter how much we wall in, we are only cowering in fear from those who attack from without. And it's also double walled. A waste.

Spoiler: The Wall (click to show/hide)

Grand in scope, yes, but let me draw your attention over here for a moment.
Spoiler: Yes, over here (click to show/hide)
See this? It's our trade depot. And what is it surrounded by? Skeletons! Of Elves! For everyone to see when they come in and out Goldsilver. No wonder everyone is miserable around here! I don't even think this is good trading strategy, after all, would you want to trade with someone who leaves the corpses of their enemies out on display? Maybe once, but you're definitely not coming back next year. We need to get rid of the corpse pile. Another problem solved by magma.

I don't understand everyone's reticence to strike the magma. From what I've heard of the caverns, it seems to be a fairly defensible position.

But the other leaders' concerns about our military are well founded. Sure, Dan is doing a great job as militia commander, but I suspect its more of a sincure position rather than actually leading the militia. Instead, our military is clad in leather, and are marksdwarves have neither arms nor armor to speak of.
Spoiler: A travesty (click to show/hide)

Instead, we apparently have legions of monster hunters, all becoming more and more upset that they cannot prove their mettle in the caverns.

Additionally, a number of crime reports have been piling up, going unanswered.

I appoint myself as Captain of the Guard and hand pick my Fortress Guard among the citizenry. Tulon, the militia captain of the Armories of Mortality, joins the guard as soon as she hears that I am recruiting, so I appoint a fisherdwarf to take over her old squad. We shall be clad in metal and ensure that justice is enforced.

The position of hammerer and dungeon master still need to be filled, but to prevent any appearance of impropriety I have made an open call for those to fill the positions. Any unilateral appointments at this point by myself may come across as suspicious, and that is something to be avoided. Perhaps Radipon would like to apply.

AN OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF HAMMERER AND DUNGEON MASTER

No experience necessary.
Submit applications to ENITERIS.

Speaking of Radipon, it turns out that an alliance between the Soap Makers and the Sparkly Unicorns was more than just political.

While we're on the topic of the soapmakers, there's not a bar of soap in sight in this entire fortress! Not one! Thankfully, we appear to have enough lye and tallow for forty bars, with food to spare besides. Perhaps we can trade some of our food for some of the things that we need. I immediately order the construction of a Soapery, as I cannot stand to let this go by uncorrected.

Spoiler: Food and Soap Reserves (click to show/hide)

And for the final stop, I decide to take a stroll up to the pyramid I've heard so much about, under construction on the cliff overlooking Goldsilver. As I make my way up, I spot the lookout tower and the open-air guildhalls that have been accumulating so many complaints. I will have to dig them real accommodations within the mountains.
Spoiler: The Lookout Tower (click to show/hide)

It's hard to miss the mining project being done on the cliff; you can see it from miles away. Why the former leaders decided to carve a human town out of a mountain I'm not sure, but it's almost complete, so it's not up to me to change their minds about it.

What is up to me, though, is this blatant display of favoritism that I spotted on my trek up the cliff. It appears that our former overseer, Maximum Spin, decided to use the hard dwarven labor of the citizenry to carve his own cliff-face apartment with fatcat! The nerve! The gall! And this is at a time where no other dwarf has a bed to call their own, let alone a bedroom! Clear embezzlement of fortress funds. I will have to take it up with the two of them privately to see what they have to say in their defense, before I condemn them publicly before everyone else.

As I make my way to the top of the cliff, I spot the unhappy slaves toiling away at the great project. It is great, yes, but the toll it takes on our workers is great as well. But do I have the authority to put a stop to this needless suffering? I do not know. But this would be a good place to construct a beacon of soap to cleanse the world of all that is unclean.

Wait a moment.
I have been to many fortresses that would happily kill half their newborn children for a single stone of flux, and yet here we use this valuable stone to make BLOCKS? NO MORE!
Spoiler: NOT ONE STONE MORE (click to show/hide)
Dolomite is flux. Flux is used for steel. Nothing else. Flux is a non-renewable resource, and there is precious little of it in this world. Every stone that is used for blocks is a bar of steel that will never be made.

I must show them the value of flux, lest they continue to disbelieve. I must show them all. There is something I must do. We dig for magma.

We breach the magma sea this season.

Soon, everything will be in place.
Spoiler: SOON (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ooc (click to show/hide)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2020, 02:59:59 pm »

"As a matter of fact, I carved that room out of the mountainside and smoothed it with my own two hands. Had there been time, I would have done the same, and I plan to do so in the future, for every other dwarf in Goldsilver with voting privileges."

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2020, 04:06:41 pm »

"As a matter of fact, I carved that room out of the mountainside and smoothed it with my own two hands. Had there been time, I would have done the same, and I plan to do so in the future, for every other dwarf in Goldsilver with voting privileges."

And is it, praytell, a coincidence that both beds and all three doors in your room were the most valuable beds and doors constructed in the entire fortress?

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2020, 04:51:56 pm »

Granite 6, 253

Breaching the caverns was a great success! We have begun building a secure partition around the staircase, and our dwarves are retrieving valuable arms and armor and giving the bodies a proper burial. It pains me to take up the arms of the deceased, as it would be much better to cleanse them with magma first, but our military is in a sorry state, and we require every advantage we can get.

Spoiler: Secure partition (click to show/hide)

Additionally, the old rumors were true! Tetrahedrite lines the walls of the caverns, which we can forge into preliminary arms and armor. The silver, too, can be used to make maces and warhammers, the best material for weapons of that kind. But first we must reach the magma.

This evening, I received word that our broker, Urist, had completed his great work, Lilarvesh, a giant vulture bone ring. I hadn't even noticed that she was missing, and when I stopped by to take a look at the work, the ring felt as if it had some sort of sinister aura. As if the hamster men in chrysoprase were moving somehow. Dancing, even.

Nevermind. It must be a trick of the light.

Granite 11, 253

Tragedy has struck! The troll in the caverns at first seemed docile, leaving our civilians alone, but Tulon, hothead that she is, decided to prove her worth by attacking the peaceful troll. I quickly enlisted the full might of the milita to back Tulon's foolish show, but it was too late; she was struck down. Foreststilled the troll was eventually struck down by Zaneg, the Trollslayer, but as we were taking the body away to be buried it appeared that Tulon was wielding a (cherry spear)!
Sabotage by the elves! Why do our warriors wield wooden weapons when we have workable tetrahedrite? Even a simple copper spear would have saved Tulon's life. She was buried with full honors.

Additionally, while all this ruckus was going on, Lucky decided to try to take on a giant olm by herself. Not her smartest idea, and we had to send the militia in to support her after dealing with the affair with the troll, and they managed to slay the beast, with Lucky escaping with only minor bruising. As our chief medical dwarf, it is imperative that she stays healthy, to treat the wounds of others.
Spoiler: Lucky, to be alive (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:05:36 pm by Eniteris »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »

And is it, praytell, a coincidence that both beds and all three doors in your room were the most valuable beds and doors constructed in the entire fortress?
"Of course not. I always pick the best available materials when designating any building."

My dwarf really did do the digging and smoothing himself, though, which I thought was pretty funny.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:05 pm »

"Of course not. I always pick the best available materials when designating any building."

Eniteris folds his arms, unconvinced.

"I give you two options. One: a punishment meted out by only myself, and this scandal reaches the ears of no one else, or Two: I bring this to the attention of the entire populace to judge you of this crime.

The first you make it out unharmed, whereas in the second you may be the first criminal charged under our new justice system. And the punishment is out of my hands.

The choice is yours."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:22:59 pm by Eniteris »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2020, 05:30:45 pm »

"Counterproposal: I build you a bedroom made of soap and nobody ever discusses this issue again."

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2020, 01:44:20 am »

"Counterproposal: I build you a bedroom made of soap and nobody ever discusses this issue again."

I refused this naked attempt at bribery. I value the law. Now, it seems like you would prefer the first option?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2020, 01:59:34 am »

Maximum Spin walks out of the room.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2020, 03:07:49 am »

Journal of Nephilim, Stukist Party Leader
11th Granite, 253—Eniteris seems very set on charting quite a different path as overseer than that of his last two predecessors. On the first day of the job he spent much of the day marching around the fortress decrying the wastefulness of the Fatcat-M.S. construction projects, including the Lucky's pyramid. I have been wondering just how the election of Eniteris was accomplished; with endorsements from both leaders of the Planthomes-Minefarms Sunlit Action Coalition and from Lucky, Q.D. should have had four votes before the ballots were even cast (presuming, of course, that she voted for herself). Could it be that Lucky had second thoughts about voting for a worshipper of Armok? If this is the case, I wonder how she will feel about her choice at the end of the year.

On my part, I had been hopeful that Eniteris' brash insistence that we retake the caverns would in some way redeem my leadership in 250. I can tell when I talk to them that most of the dwarves who were here during that year, dwarves with whom I founded this fortress, still remember how we had to abandon the caverns for fear of the monsters that roamed the depths of the earth. They still blame me for the deaths of Boujee and The Maggot. Even some of the newcomers to the fortress speak of "Nephilim's Blunder" through tales informed by hearsay and half-truths. If the caverns are recaptured and secured, the fear of the caverns that fuels such tales and such blame would dry up.

At the same time, I'm scared of what's going to happen. There's a sense of dread running down my spine right now as I'm writing these worlds, as if suddenly some sort of horrible shadowy ghoul from far deeper than the caverns we breached is about to stab me in the back. One dwarf is already dead from cavern exploration and Lucky is very beat up. Perhaps I should have been a little more careful before I jumped into this. The year is still young and things are going to continue one way or another. The most I can do is try to keep everything running as smoothly as possible on my end and hope some great disaster doesn't strike.

I just heard Maximum Spin's footsteps thundering down the hall. He must be very unhappy with Eniteris over something. I'm not sure what it is he's upset over, but if M.S. got into any sort of fight with the overseer, I imagine we'll be hearing what happened from at least one of the two of them.

May the gods bless and keep Her Majesty Queen Vutok. May the gods protect us all, as well.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2020, 11:59:12 am »

Granite 17, 253

We have struck two more caverns on our way down, along with more tetrahedrite, and are in the process of building protecting walls. In morale news, we've had multiple tantrums with one serious injury; Shorast, a Woodcutter, is still resting in the hospital after being punched by one of our animal dissectors.

We've had trouble with one more troll, but the lord of our monster hunters was able to dispatch it quickly. Finally doing some real work around here.
Spoiler: Slaying the Troll (click to show/hide)
But shortly thereafter, I heard reports of a great beast wandering the caverns. It was across the underground lake, but we could see it from the other side: a great, one-eye, one-horned civet with light blue hair.
It was busy fighting a monster on the other side of the lake, but we could see the clouds of dust being spewed out by the creature. As much as I would love to jump the lake and slay the creature, I knew that our military was not up to the task. And if we lingered in these caverns for much longer, the creature would likely be able to cross the lake and we would be in more danger.

I tell all the dwarves to drop everything, and retreat back to the stairs. We will abandon these caverns and lock the doors until our military is strong enough to deal with it.

I've spoken to both Maximum Spin and fatcat separately. fatcat pinned everything of M.S., and when I went to talk to M.S. he left in a huff. I have no recourse. He will be punished.

Granite 22, 253

Raw Adamantine! Praise the miners!

The first layer of the caverns has finally been evacuated; the last cleaners and a child who insisted on playing are finally back in, and the doors are now locked.
Spoiler: Locked and safe (click to show/hide)
Unforutnately, we are lacking cloth and thread to stitch up the poor woodcutter. Some dwarves attempted to gather webs from the caverns, but now that they are locked I ordered the processing of plants for our medical supplies. Unfortunately, this means we cannot process our adamantine until our dwarves are fully healed, lest Lucky attempt to suture wounds closed with our precious adamantine threads.

Slate 1, 253

The second half of Granite was a mess.

On the bright side, we have discovered the great magma sea.
We had discovered warm stone earlier in the month, but only managed to dig to magma yesterday. Maximum Spin kindly volunteered to do the mining, and managed to pick the right place to dig.
Spoiler: 50/50 (click to show/hide)
M.S. is still alive, rest assured.

The reason why it took so long is another story.

Our soapery was finally constructed, and I immediately ordered the production of soap. But no sooner had those words left my lips, someone shouts.
Spoiler: Oh dear (click to show/hide)

A dwarf was ranging outside the curtain wall, and was the one to shout out the cry. There was no hope to rescue her. I ordered the lever pulled to seal us in.

Except she comes running through the bridge, with the werelizard hot on her heels!

I panic for a moment, but she seemed to be running in the direction of our livestock. If she gets there in time, the werelizard could be distracted enough for her to make her escape
Spoiler: Too late! (click to show/hide)
Thankfully, the monster hunters were gathered in the field and began running up to rescue the poor ranger. I held back on the militia; without armor, we risk getting infected. Better let the mercenaries deal with it.
While the mercenaries are whaling on the werelizard with their wooden weapons, the lizard manages to bite another one of our citizens who joined the fray. And this time, it was poor Yung Boujee.
This cannot stand.
But before the militia could arrive, the remainder of the monster slayers come in. Wielding metal weapons, they make short work of the were-lizard, with a goblin axeman dealing the final blow.

The two bitten dwarves are quickly rushed to the hospital; although their wounds are slight, the chance of infection is high. We must keep them under tight observation until we are sure that they are infected, or not.

And we're out of drinks. Just when I needed one most.

PS: After thanking the mercenaries who killed the lizard personally, it turns out that the human lord is carrying an artifact copper shield.
Additionally, one of the weapon racks that was made here show the destruction of another artifact here in Goldsilver, which I have not heard a single word about.
Spoiler: Curious (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:31:41 pm by Eniteris »

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2020, 02:54:33 am »

Slate 10, 253

More migrants, none of them useful. Apparently we have enough miners that they've started unionizing, and are demanding a guildhall, so I tell them to go dig one out themselves. After all, that's what they're good for, right?
I also suggest that they dig out some temples at the same time. I'm not sure if they're going to follow my suggestions, but there's always some mining task or another to do.

Slate 25, 253

We've completed the isolation chambers, and not a moment too soon! I could hear terrible lizard noises from within both chambers. We will not be opening those doors, not while I'm in charge.

Felsite 17, 253
The mayor has forgotten his demand of a tin bed in his dining room, which I always thought as absurd. If you put a bed in your dining room, it's no longer a dining room! And besides, who wants to sleep on a tin bed? And how do you expect us to get a tin bed?

Anyways, instead now he's demanding that we make anvils. Over my dead body. Any scrap of iron that we get is slated for steel, and any steel we have is going straight to the military. We have no bars for anvils. I will gladly beat up an innocent dwarf to prevent these metals from going to waste.

On the bright side, our magmaworks have been complete. It's just the barebones now, a smelter and a forge, but it is enough to start work. I request that all our spare tin and copper be smelted into workable bronze, and to start smelting our tetrahedrite ore. We will be armed and armored before the year is out.
Spoiler: The Magmaworks (click to show/hide)

In more tragic news, the body of Ast, a bone carver, was found yesterday by the river. Nobody knows why they passed, but their body is covered with a strange extract, frozen to the skin. Strange.

Felsite 26, 253

The lizard sounds returned today. They both appear to be alive and feisty, despite not being fed or watered for an entire month. But we cannot risk having them running lose in the fortress. I have nothing against the two of them, other than the fact that they turn into murderous crazed lizards once a month.

But the Farmers have finally stopped their bickering and decided to form the Sepia Hall. Thankfully, a previous overseer had already built their guildhall, so I merely had to spruce it up a bit in order to meet their standards.

But the first of Maximum Spin's personal punishments has been completed.  It's time for the second one, and with the magma forges complete, it will only be a matter of time.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32