Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58273 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2020, 02:08:42 pm »

I always wanted to bury the hatchet and leave the past a fogging haze. But no longer can I run away.For Fatcat  has appointed me as  the captain of the guard. My feeling towards this news is grey.She must've heard of my combat experience and...the time I killed that dwarf in 187...  that I find been trying my best to forget all my life. Drowning it down with books and writing..but I always go back to that fateful day when we were sent to clear out a goblin fort.When we arrived they immediately attacked us. In the whole scuffle a Dwarf charged at me like a wild animal. I tried to reason with him when our blades clashed, but I can tell by his crazed eyes, that the dwarf was no longer a dwarf...whatever those goblins did to him...damn them. After the battle was over. Some of my war buddies told me that I did the right thing, and that killing that dwarf was mercy killing. But even still I am haunted by my past..and being the captain of Guard only deepens it.

But, I must face my demons. I must sallow my past. For this duty that I was bestowed upon is a small part in larger plan to make goldsilver great again.

few days later after my inauguration, Fatcat has ordered me to interrogate Enteris for disorderly conduct. Without skipping a beat I quickly walked down the hall in search of Enteris. I ask the passing dwarves where Enteris was; and they told me  of his whereabouts. I went to Enteris and when I found him bumbling around confused of his surroundings. I grimace and pitied him. How can such an ambitious man, fall so low. Here once stood the great soap advocate I ever meant. Now he his nothing but a maddwarf. Poor Enteris the soap has finally cleaned his sanity away..

I cleared my throat, trying to get his attention."uh, Mr. Enteris, I was sent by Fatcat to investigate on some crime report that have been left on on Fatcat's desk. In the reports it has your name on it as the perpetrator. Is this true?" Enteris looked freighted. He felled to the ground and confessed to his crimes without even defending  himself. I closed my eyes in seldom as I couldn't stand to see him like this. I turned my back away from him and was on my way to report Fatcat of my finding. I really hope she can get this fort up and running soon. I want everyone here to be happy and smiling. But I can feel the their stress slowly consuming me. I need to focus on myself. I need to stop worrying about others if I don't I will be just like Enteris...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:12:40 pm by Luckyowl »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:26 am »

What is the status of Nephilim? Has he recovered yet?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2020, 11:48:27 am »

Last I looked, he was working, so yes, he is recovered, at least somewhat.

Edit: Next update. Apologies for the slow pace.

Journal of Fatcat, overseer of Goldsilver
Felsite 20th, 254

Soon after the last time I wrote here, something encouraging happened.

The new arrivals were a motley bunch, as have been most arrivals here, but at least they were fresh, and ready for the struggle of turning Goldsilver into a monument to dwarven civilization. Other dwarves are flocking to the area, and with the recent promotion of our fortress to a barony, the new arrivals are directly integrating into the new province.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The settlers at Diamondswallow were quickly followed by a second party, who also established a hillocks.
Around home, the first cells of the new prison are completed, and furnished, except for food supplies. Eniteris was the last dwarf imprisoned on the watchtower, and shortly after his release, Dumed, the only long term prisoner, was moved to one of the new cells. A speardwarf in the militia, and two farmers soon joined him in detainment, after throwing fits, and punching several people. One of the victims later died from his injuries. Due to his mentally unstable state, I removed Dumed from his office for a term to allow him time to spend praying and resting, and delegated his duties to a bowyer currently employed in the breweries. Not everyone is struggling mentally, however. Eniteris was badly haggard after his year as overseer, but during his month in prison, he recovered much of his calm.

He still struggles with stress, but is much improved. He may soon be fit to return to military duties.
The new dormitories are progressing, with all of the origonal plans, and some newer ones being fully excavated, and a large crew of masons smoothing the walls. The first rooms were furnished and claimed by those in need of rest about a week ago. Gates have also been constructed at all entrances to the new living quarters, and linked to a central lever by the main (currently empty) supplies room.
The latest news, which prompted me to sit down and write, is that Lucky's youngest child seems to have been struck by some maddening mood.

Clover appears want stone blocks and bones. Neither is particularly difficult to acquire here, particularly since I ordered a few of the dogs I didn't train for war butchered to bolster our sparse meat supplies. I hope the child can make the mother proud.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:46:27 am by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2020, 06:45:03 pm »

My child will make me proud! They grow up so fast! Also, how's Lucky's mental health doing?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2020, 12:40:08 am »

Here you go.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2020, 10:43:17 pm »

Malachite 15th, 254

Nearly three months have passed since I last sat down and wrote here. Clover has finished a dog bone pick.
It is nothing very fancy, but it is impressive for a child barely more than a toddler to produce something so nice. Lucky is, of course, quite proud.
Otherwise, the main news of note is that the human traders arrived last month. It was a truly massive caravan.
I thought 4 wagons would be it, but a fifth arrived, as well as several pack animals. They brought a vast variety of items, including a great pile of wood. I bought their metal, gems, wood, books, drinks, and seeds for two barrels of food and a small pile of trinkets and mugs. They are easy to please. As I write here, they are just preparing to pack up and head home, with a nice load of dwarven goods.
Criminals continue to be prosecuted, and the prison is nearly full. Lucky keeps petitioning me to order several new cells constructed. There are currently two new cells being added on, with plans for several more in the near future. One of the convicts also recently gave a birth to a new baby.

Hopefully she can have a better record than her mother.
Nephilim also probably would not have made a good overseer this year. This morning, I received a report that he had cracked under his stress, and had punched a worker in the arm several times.
It sounds like he will be spending a month in one of the new cells. Hopefully he cools off, and doesn't get in anymore trouble after this.
I was prompted to write this time by a miner telling me that everything in the planned main dormitory level has been fully excavated.
The masons still have a long ways to go before the walls and floors are smooth, but the first rooms have been occupied for a couple of months, and a few more are completed every few weeks. I hope that a good place to sleep will do wonders for the moral of my fellow citizens, many of whom are complaining about inordinate levels of stress from many different sources. I am attempting to use nothing except imported wood, and if I find that I run short before everyone has a place to sleep, the project will have to be dropped. I am now trying to figure designs for temples to the dwarven gods. Those who worship heathen foreign gods will have to do with unmarked shrines scattered across the fortress.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2020, 06:43:02 pm »

Oh how wonderful! Although it's not magnificent. I'm still proud that she created something at a young age. I expect great things from my favorite child!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2020, 05:41:00 am »

I’m going to request a Dorfing, I haven’t read through the whole game yet.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2020, 11:41:41 am »

Great! Any preferences for your dwarf?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2020, 12:12:27 pm »

A miner might be nice.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2020, 12:16:22 pm »

Ah, another fellow-traveller!

Has anyone bothered to contact any of our glorious dead about being replaced either? I already forgot who, but haven't two or three named dwarves died since the last redwarfing?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2020, 12:30:16 am »

Here is your dwarf, Imic.

Also, I only remember Zalthor dying. He wasn't active for a while. I'll see if he wants a new dwarf, though.

Edit: Update

Limestone 1st, 254

Today marks half way through the year. Already great strides have been made in improving the living conditions. New bedrooms continue to be constructed every few days, and there is a small stock of food and drink in the central hall of the new living space. The prison continues to expand, as well.
The cells are well furnished, and ought to be comfortable, unlike the barbaric 'prison' used over the last year. Nonetheless, there have been several unfortunate incidents in the last couple months. Roughly a month ago, one of the convicts rioted, and got in a fist fight with a human hunter. Both ended up with a few broken digits, and the rioting farmer is still in the hospital, refusing to be treated until he can see the mayor.
Dumed, the mayor, is finally out of detention, but is still a nervous wreck. He is currently helping smooth the walls in the dormitory.
A few weeks ago, Domas, a surgeon completely went crazy and started screaming and thrashing around her cell.

I ordered her cell locked, to keep her from harming anyone else, but I have my doubts that she will ever regain her senses.
The military also continues to train steadily, although none of them are particularly skilled yet. Lucky reported that she had missed part of a sparring session from sinking into depression.
I may have to relieve her of the duties of captain of the guard. Perhaps I should hand that position over to one of the miners. One of them, an older fellow, introduced himself as Imic over lunch, and promptly began telling me about his life. Apparently he at one time traveled around the hills down south, and even killed some human that attacked him. He seems to be a pretty tough fellow, and would probably make a good leader for the troops. I will think about that change for a while more, though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:24:49 am by fatcat__25 »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2020, 12:59:32 am »

I’m going to request a Dorfing, I haven’t read through the whole game yet.
Glad to have you aboard. Do you think you'll be joining one of the current political parties at this time?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2020, 05:46:18 pm »

Aw, does Lucky has her own room yet?  If anything happens to her, dorf me as her daughter, Clover.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2020, 06:55:39 pm »

Lucky does have a room. She actually got one of the first rooms completed.

Does anybody know what became of the lever for the main gate in the curtain wall? Things may be unusually fun for a bit, if there isn't one anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32