Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58518 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »

Lucky does have a room. She actually got one of the first rooms completed.

Does anybody know what became of the lever for the main gate in the curtain wall? Things may be unusually fun for a bit, if there isn't one anymore.
I think at least one of the drawbridge levers was removed without explanation and I don't know if it ever got replaced.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2020, 10:59:10 pm »

Lucky does have a room. She actually got one of the first rooms completed.

Does anybody know what became of the lever for the main gate in the curtain wall? Things may be unusually fun for a bit, if there isn't one anymore.
I think at least one of the drawbridge levers was removed without explanation and I don't know if it ever got replaced.
Fun. I'll see how things go.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2020, 12:02:25 am »

I’m probably not gonna run for overseer or anything but I’d like a dorfing, please. Any profession or gender works fine.

Not sure what I’d want for a political party, I might decide after seeing my dwarf’s personality.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2020, 02:04:23 am »

I'll see what I can provide, once things have calmed down.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2020, 07:09:49 am »

I would like to join the Stukist party. Death to the usurpers!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2020, 08:23:20 am »

I would like to join the Stukist party. Death to the usurpers!
Excellent! The attempts to silence the cause by making Nephilim a political prisoner have only inspired more dwarves to join our ranks!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2020, 07:30:56 pm »

Journal of Fatcat, Overseer of Goldsilver
Limestone 11th, 254

The last two weeks have brought nothing but chaos and trouble. On the 2nd, someone shouted that they saw something coming.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It soon became apparent that is was a large army of goblins and their beasts from The Scaly Monsters. They quickly spread out over the land north of the fortress, while I hurriedly tried to seal gaps in our defenses.
The first problem that came to my attention is that one of my predecessors removed the lever for the gate in the curtain wall. A new linkage was completed just in time to keep more than a few trolls and beak dogs from getting in. Unfortunately, the gate wasn't the only gap in Goldsilver's defenses. The artificial cliff appears secure from any invaders, and Maximum Spin left the curtain wall incomplete across its rim because of this, but the invaders proved this to not be the case. Several goblins and trolls climbed down the cliff face into the heart of the fortress, and several wannabe heroes climbed up it to attack the invaders outside of the walls.
These brave civilians quickly died, being surrounded one by one by a swarm of beak dogs and trolls.

Seeing this happening, Dan commented that she would be bankrupt if this continued, and also rushed up the cliff, to drive away the beasts attacking her clients. The militia later found her dead next to another dwarf with a broken back. She was surrounded by a massive pool of blood, and the corpse of a beak dog, which was completely shredded by vicious blows of a pick. The soldiers also encountered a number of other beak dogs which were maimed by similar wounds.
My orders to the military were to station themselves just outside of the pyramid, to keep any more attackers from climbing into the fortress. Meanwhile, the unfortunate trolls that had gotten in were punched to a bloody pulp by passing citizens. At one point, I watched one of the farmers knock a troll's teeth flying up into the air.
We only suffered two losses inside the wall, both of which were killed by a troll that entered the gate. Eniteris armed himself with a crossbow, and volunteered to help fight, despite not being in the military. He shot the troll by the gate to death, and then moved up to join the militia. Here, however, his luck ran out, as he rushed at a goblin swordsman, and began exchanging blows. Without armor, he soon fell, although the goblin was badly injured, and was tracked down and massacred soon after.
To add to my worries, the soldiers reported a body of dwarves approaching, which turned out to be the caravan. The wagons turned back, with the main gate closed, but the pack animals proceeded toward the pyramid. Fearing that they would be caught and cut to pieces, I ordered the military to cover the approach.
To my surprise, the appearance of the traders disconcerted the goblins even more than it did me, and the retreated rapidly, even before the soldiers could reach them. We remain cautious, but it appears that the siege may be broken. Not it falls to us to honor our dead, and build new defenses to make up for the deficiencies that were brought to light. I must now go and prepare an expansion to the burial vault. There are only two coffins left open, and we will have several more of our friends to lay to rest.

OOC:
To vaporo and eniteris, let me know what your requests for new dwarves are. Both of your dwarves died trying to be heroes. I haven't counted our losses, but the attacking army lost 23 goblins and beasts. I feel that that was a pretty resounding defeat, despite everything.

Here is your dwarf, noagga. He is an adept cook.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2020, 04:04:32 am »

It's been a few days over the two week mark, but I'll give you a couple more to finish up the year before I call a snap election.

In the meantime, RIP Eniteris and Dan. Has Nephilim served his debt to society yet? I'll probably make a few RP posts later.

I’m probably not gonna run for overseer or anything but I’d like a dorfing, please. Any profession or gender works fine.

Not sure what I’d want for a political party, I might decide after seeing my dwarf’s personality.
Glad to have you aboard. Even if you don't want to run, it's always good to have fresh blood because the more voters their are, the more interesting the elections have the potential of becoming.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2020, 03:27:43 pm »

Thanks, fatcat.

Damn, my guy made a Masterwork? What did he make?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2020, 01:55:10 am »

Micro-update. I have roughly one month of the year left. I just haven't been writing about my progress. I'll clump that all together when I finish.

Edit: Done with the year. I'll (hopefully) have the save and the update for the last two seasons up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:10:50 am by fatcat__25 »

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2020, 09:37:36 am »

RIP Eniteris and Dan. What happened to our military that was so expertly trained?

I would like to be dwarfed as the most useless dwarf possible, Eniteris II. If possible, assign me as a scholar in the library.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:33:58 am by Eniteris »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2020, 11:10:58 pm »

RIP Eniteris and Dan. What happened to our military that was so expertly trained?

I would like to be dwarfed as the most useless dwarf possible, Eniteris II. If possible, assign me as a scholar in the library.

First of all, here is Eniteris II:
He literally knows nothing about work or war, and is only minorly skilled at poetry and music. I think he is indeed the most useless dwarf, and I did assign him as a scholar.

Second, the military was waiting for the goblins like the well trained soldiers they are at a station on top of the mountain. I was trying to fight the goblins entirely on my own terms, but the ambitious civilians like Eniteris were impatient to attack. From my (limited) experience, rushing out at invaders is a generally bad idea. Instead, my plan was to have the militia wait near the pyramid for the goblins to come to them, kill as many as possible, and then retreat inside to regroup if things turned sour. The problems were simply because I didn't count on dwarves not in the military being that individually aggressive. One of my side projects was to attempt to seal some ways dwarves could get out, so this wouldn't happen again.

Third, here is the save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15297

Fourth, the story update:

Journal of Fatcat, overseer of Goldsilver
Granite 1st, 245

I have not had time to write here in nearly half a year. Now it is the end of my tenure. Today, I will turn my authority over to whoever wins the election. The last five and a half months have been a constant struggle to move Goldsilver forward rather than back. Our home is a mess, but I hope I can say that I left it in a more livable state than it was at the start of the year.
The first order of business after the goblins left in Limestone was to satisfy the traders that came despite the invaders. They gave us a few bars of metal, barrels of drink, and other minor items in exchange for a barrel of food. They also had some requests for what we trade them next year. I took down a list of what they requested and offered to pay.
While they were here, a dead troll somehow ended up on the old inner gate, and began decomposing in a most revolting manner.
I ordered the gate closed, launching the offending heap in the direction of the main gate, as well as spreading small chunks everywhere nearby. It was revolting, but better than the clouds of miasma that the corpse was giving off.
I was curious about why the traders would pay so much for simple food, so I went over to one of the kitchens, to see what was being made. When I poked my head in, a cook was just taking something off of a fire. Whatever it was smelled amazing, and, curious about it, I asked if I could come in. The cook, apparently happy to have a spectator, motioned me to take a taste.
Whatever it was was indeed impressive, despite looking like it was made entirely of capers and caper berries. The cook also introduced himself as Noagga. He told me that he had made a few meals like this one before, but they were rare, and he hoped to get better. He is a treasure for the fortress.
One of the medical team withdrew from society right at the end of the siege, and once there was some beak dog bone to work with, started work on his masterpiece. What he produced was a wonderful crown.
I would have preferred that he kept with his original profession at that particular time, but it is an impressive work.
We received one strange report in the middle of fall.
I have no idea where he went, but I have been looking all over since then for the body.
There have been multiple cases of crimes in recent months. The criminals have mainly been Dumed the mayor, Mistim, a legendary bone carver, and Zan, a farmer. None of them have had all of the cases against them prosecuted, but all of them have served jail time and received beatings over the last several months. Zan has been the most consistently troublesome. She is the dwarf that gave birth to a baby in prison early this year, and I hope she doesn't go completely crazy before the child can care for herself. Zan is most regularly charged with randomly punching people as they walk by.
Misitm has a massive criminal record reaching back almost as far as records go. Many of the cases have not been prosecuted, because he has been regularly producing masterwork carvings and other crafts. Recently, though, he landed in prison, after punching a minor offender to death, as well as attacking several other dwarves. Even he admitted to being horrified by his actions.
Dumed, the mayor, has been mostly calm over the last several months, but one day in Opal, I received reports that he had rushed through the center of the fortress, punched several people, and knocked over a series of workshops.
He also received prison time, despite his high position and importance to proper function of the fortress.
Nephilim and Lucky have both been regularly depressed. Neither of them has deteriorated any, mentally, but they haven't improved, either. Nephilim told me he wanted to learn to fight better, so I gave him the position of Captain of the Guard. Since then, he has been practicing with the militia, when he can drag himself out of his depression. He has been armed with the first adamantine sword, and cuts an impressive figure. The adamantine deposit has been explored slightly further, and I have requested several more swords made for the military.

Most of the population has been working on some construction projects. The first was to line the lower end of the curtain wall with fortifications.
I also ordered a new temple for Rakust Necrodies.
I would have liked to build more, but I simply did not have time to design them. Guild halls are easier to build than temples, and I have been able to get three new structures built for various guilds.
The last major project was one I initiated shortly before the year ended. It is a project to build a new massive enclosure north of the curtain wall, and dig a great pit to supply all the construction materials Goldsilver needs for years to come. The first section of the enclosure wall was started, but the dwarves hauling stone to build it complained of the distance that they had to carry materials. Because of this, I ordered a small portion of the pit dug immediately, to provide the stone they need directly at the site.
Finally, the housing project continued to slowly move on, with over half of the rooms smoothed, and perhaps a third of them furnished. I hope it is a lasting help to our fortress.
Now, I will hope that the next overseer will continue to serve the needs of the fortress above all else. I must now lay down my pen, and go to the election.

Sorry about the wall of text. That is what comes of not writing anything for half the year.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 11:30:05 pm by fatcat__25 »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2020, 04:15:06 am »

Sorry about the wall of text. That is what comes of not writing anything for half the year.
Walls of text aren't much of a problem. The more there is to read about the fortress the better.

Good job on another turn completed. I went through the save and compiled a list of the current living dwarves and their party affiliations. Hopefully this will help those who have lost a dwarf but want to be redorfed.
  • Fatcat (Sunlit Action Coalition)
  • Maximum Spin (Sunlit Action Coalition)
  • Imic (Stukist)
  • Nephilim (Stukist)
  • Quantum Drop (Penitent Coalition)
  • Radipon (United Soapmaking Advocates)
  • Yung Boujee (Sparkly Unicorn)
  • Lucky (Independent / Mountain Creed)
  • Eniteris II (Independent[?])
  • Noagga (Independent)
All this aside, it's time for an ELECTION!

Events of 28th Obsidian, 254
Fatcat, the overseer of Goldsilver, leads the electorate into the library. Following immediately behind her is Nephilim, the new captain of the guard, clad in his steel armor. Once everyone is inside, Nephilim orders the fortress guard to inspect the room, and when this is completed they shut the doors tightly and stand watch outside. Every dwarf in the room takes a seat and waits for the first dwarf to announce his candidacy.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2020, 11:52:37 am »

28th Obsidian, 254

The politicians are at it again, shoeing out all the other patrons and claiming the library for themselves. They've let me stay this time, something about for providing the space, but they're discussing politics, of all things. I wish they could just leave so I can go back to pondering the lever.

Yup, neutral. Also, I find it ironic that Eniteris died and Nephilim was put in charge to replace them.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »

I am joining because yes.
Spoiler: The Diggers' Party (click to show/hide)
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32