Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58516 times)

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2021, 10:46:13 am »

Can I be dorfed? As a soldier, if possible. I might found a political party later
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:48:08 am by LadyBrassroast »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2021, 12:42:08 pm »

Can I be dorfed? As a soldier, if possible. I might found a political party later
Done - you have been dorfed as 'LadyBrassroast' Creaturesteel, Expert Swordsdwarf and Planter. Welcome to Goldsilver!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:26:36 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2021, 02:21:07 pm »

tyvm :D

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:42 am »

I'm impressed that Lucky not only survived, but kept fighting after having her entire leg hacked off.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2021, 07:02:20 pm »

I assume that starting next turn we are moving to the new bugfix version?
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2021, 08:59:54 am »

I assume that starting next turn we are moving to the new bugfix version?

But that'll solve all our stress problems :(

jk, yeah, we should probably migrate to the new version.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2021, 01:27:02 pm »

9th Sandstone

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kol has been sentenced to 50 Hammer strikes for the crime of murder.

22st Sandstone

Kol, rather unsurprisingly, did not survive his beating by the Hammerer. The loss of his skills is unfortunate, but an example needed to be set – murder cannot be allowed, not now, not with random acts of violence and breakdowns still the norm in the fortress.

3rd Timber

+Official Order, Delivered to Goldsilver 3rd Timber 256+

The Dwarf responsible for ordering the crafting and installation of the finely-crafted statue of Captain Nephilim in the main courtyard – specifically, the one depicting him consuming his sword – is to report to my office at the earliest convenience. I want a word with you.

Quantum Drop, Overseer of Goldsilver and Leader of the Penitent Coalition, Timber 256.

8th Timber

The twisted form of the sepia-scaled fiend arose from concealment, tilting back its head and letting loose with a terrible, braying cry. From deeper within the fort, two other voices arose as if in reply; those close to the Werebeast Bridge flinched back at the awful cry, and the horrific hisses and snarls that followed from within the pit in which the long-condemned Yung Boujee and Arzesbomrek had been entombed.

Its cry emitted, the beast began to charge forward on all fours, hissing with hunger as Fikod Idendallith met its charge. Sepia eyes blazed with rabid fury as it clawed the air above his head; the creature twisted its form away from his first swipe, only for its right leg to be impaled as he reversed the stroke. Blood flowed freely as his blade embedded itself in the scale.

It thrust itself towards him again, butting its head into his chest like a bull; even with its movements slowed by the ruin of its leg, its sheer bulk was enough to send him to the ground. Its hot, stinking breath wafted over him as it reared up for a blow, the scent of rotting meat and miasma striking him as he thrust his fist into its softer underbelly.

The beast hissed in pain at the punch, and that was all the distraction that he needed. A dozen inches of finely-crafted, razor-sharp adamantine swept through the air, met the scales and meat of its neck, and carried on through.

It was only later, once the bloodshed had died down and the corpse been dragged out of the road, that anyone would think to check upon the First-Bitten and her entombed comrade, and they would find only the ravaged corpse of a Werelizard – and its living, now-Dwarven comrade, pushed up against one of the walls, eyes wide in horror and fixed upon his still-bloody hands.

2nd Moonstone – 10th Moonstone.

The foul greenskins never had any idea what they were up against. Goldsilver has seen off sieges of Elves, beasts of the night, and Goblins alike – and they thought a mere sixty soldiers would be enough to break us?

Though our Marksdwarves proved all but useless in targeting the Goblins, the melee squads proved far more effective: the main force, having massed before our gates, was eviscerated in short order by the combined action of the Constructive Kingdoms and the Armouries of Mortality without a single one having the chance to defile the soil of the fort; a flanking force aimed itself at the pyramid and the exposed sections of the wall.

They didn’t expect to meet the Black Legion head-on, of course. It was hardly worthy of being called a battle, or even a backroom brawl – though the Goblins outnumbered them by six or seven, Nephilim and his comrades slew them swiftly and brutally enough that they were left in chunks fit for those filthy Elves’ stewpots. Not a single Goblin escaped nor entered the fortress’ borders, and the wealth of iron and copper arms and armour their failed assault has provided us will prove most useful in the future.

7th Opal

Medtob’s locked himself in one of the workshops, demanding plant cloth, logs, gems of all kinds, rock, and metal bars – all of which we have in abundance. Let’s hope that whatever he creates in this fugue state will be of some use.

11th Opal
The First-Bitten has been memorialized with a slab in the Hall of the Dead – one I helped craft myself. Though none of us could stop her death, or even retrieve her body from that tomb, at least we can ensure that her soul will rest well.

17th Opal

Medtob emerged from the workshop today, carrying this:

Quite impressive, I will not deny.

28th Obsidian

Despite all my efforts this year, the recent siege seems to have re-ignited the issues of stress plaguing Goldsilver. Several dwarves have died in the past few weeks, even more have suffered breakdowns or depressions of one form or another. Many will recover, given time – and thank Nokor for that, for I doubt Goldsilver would survive were even half of those under such stress to lose their minds.

Imic fell into depression a week or two ago; Lucky, Nephilim, and a dozen others are faring little better. I have done all that I can. The meeting to decide the next Overseer comes in a few short hours; let us hope that whoever takes command next may do better than I.

OOC: No, I don’t know precisely why Yung Boujee and the First-Bitten suddenly went at each other under the full moon. They’d been perfectly fine through all the other full moon nights this year, so my guess is that one somehow changed slightly earlier than the other, causing an automatic ‘No Quarter’ combat level between them due to one still technically being a Dwarf at the time.

A note to the next overseer: there’s a whole mess of Goblin body parts up near the Pyramid entrance and on the main bridge, so you may want to clean those out by setting the ‘No longer cares about anything’ dwarves to hauling refuse and burial (they don’t get negative thoughts from dead bodies, at all). I’ve rigged up a couple of 2x2 atom smashers inside the curtain wall’s bridge area with dump zones right under them, and the magma sea garbage disposal zone has been deactivated for now.

Stress remains a major problem, with four harrowed, twenty-three haggard, and thirty-three stressed. The new version may do something about that, but it seems the bulk of the 'needs' to be fulfilled are
'see family/friends' and the like.

Finally, here’s the current states of the Overseers and Player dorfs:

Spoiler: Lucky, 43878 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nephilim, 39207 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic, 26593 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Noagga, 18138 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Radipon, 17916 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clover, 5918 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cnidaros, 14 stress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quantum, 16459 stress (click to show/hide)

Save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15390 . Sorry for taking so long with the turn.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #277 on: February 03, 2021, 07:12:39 am »

Good job, Quantum Drop. Right now, computer troubles prevent me from writing up a longer post, but it is once again time for the annual Goldsilver election. Any dwarf who wishes to stand for election may do so now.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2021, 10:18:40 am »

Maximum Spin, looking dusty, a little drunk, and oddly the worse for wear, sidles into the electoral office with his back to the wall and eyes fixed on the floor. Suddenly raising his chin to stare wildly at each other elector in turn, he announces a little too loudly, gently scrabbling his fingernails against the stone in the background, "Vote for me. I promise to... yes. There are... many things to be dealt with."

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 04, 2021, 12:20:05 am »

Leaving this because I am completely incapable of the whole "typing speech that doesn't sound incredibly cringy" thing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:21:56 am by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 04, 2021, 03:13:47 pm »

You can stick around and vote, still, or even endorse other candidates, even if you can't write speeches.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2021, 03:22:04 am »

If anyone wants to run against Maximum Spin, this is the last call to announce your candidacy. Otherwise, I’ll be creating a ballot sometime today.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2021, 11:53:46 am »

An old jeweler comes to the fortress with political ambitions...

Could the next overseer dorf me as a gemcutter/setter? I'll also be throwing my lot in with the Sparkly Unicorn Party
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:01:20 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2021, 01:08:21 pm »

Fatcat raises her eyebrows in surprise at the silence.
"I'm quite surprised that no-one wishes to challenge my colleague in this year's election! Of course, if you do give us the election, we are honored by all of the trust placed in our party. It is simply surprising to me."

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2021, 02:47:06 am »

An old jeweler comes to the fortress with political ambitions...

Could the next overseer dorf me as a gemcutter/setter? I'll also be throwing my lot in with the Sparkly Unicorn Party
Very nice to have you on board. Are you perhaps interested in running in this election as well?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32