Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58528 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2020, 11:36:06 pm »

Fatcat is the second to step up to speak, nervously scratching her head. She clears her throat, and then begins:
"I am probably not the most qualified dwarf here to lead this fortress, or even to be speaking now. Nonetheless, I am standing here to announce my candidacy for the position of overseer of Goldsilver. I have been wanting to attempt to run a settlement, and this is a perfect time, before things become so complicated that I, as an inexperienced leader, might not be able to keep things running.
So with no further ado, I am pleased to announce that I, Fatcat Rovodkiron, am running as a candidate for overseer of our fortress, representing Planthomes the Sunny Coalition of Creatures. If you will bear my bumbling speech for another minute or two, I will now provide a short overview of my main goals if I am elected.
The first goal is to seal off the caverns to best of my abilities, to avoid any more tragedies like the last few months have precipitated on our endeavors. The second point of my leadership will be to do everything within my power to obtain animals in great quantities. I personally value livestock greatly, and I believe that there are multiple other dwarves in our assembly who have their own reasons to wish for an increase of beasts in our midst, whether for practical or religious purposes. Third in the list is a massive excavation project. Its purpose will be to create an extremely secure living space for ourselves, and to open the rest of the fortress to the sky. A huge quarry will be created to supply materials for all other construction projects that take place. The last of my main goals is to begin creating a massive system of surface defenses to secure our home from all enemies and hostile beasts. I believe that these are sufficient, and perhaps even a bit ambitious goals for one year of work.
With this, I will yield the platform to anyone else who wishes to speak. I hope that some in our small number will consider me as adequate to lead our endeavor for a year. Thank you for your time."
After this unusually lengthy speech, Fatcat quickly sits down, once again nervously scratching her head.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 04:50:29 am »

"I lack the eloquence common to most, so I shall speak plainly. What plans and obligations that I have would be impractical for Goldsilver at our current strength and state - coupled with my... fanaticism, as I have heard many call it, I doubt I would make an Overseer appropriate for Goldsilver at present."

Quantum Drop pauses for a moment, before crossing her arms and continuing.

"...I will vote for Fatcat and Planthomes the Sunny Coalition of Creatures - the plans to seal the Caverns and increase our surface-level defences will see that no more of us need have their lives wasted, at a time when we need as many hands as possible. The breeding of beasts shall also aid us in trade and defence alike, while the increased mining proposed by the party's representative will allow the fortress as a whole access to dearly-needed ores and stone.

My thanks for your time."

Quantum Drop steps back, eyeing up the present Dwarves.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 05:46:35 pm »

Fatcat is running with an endorsement from Quantum Drop.
Maximum Spin has declined to run.
Nephilim is ineligible to run.

Does anyone else wish to throw their hat into the ring or offer an endorsement?
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2020, 07:36:33 pm »

Follow me and wash this fort clean of all woes. Soapy baths for all.

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »

I, Dan, will not be running at this time. I just arrived in the fort and feel that I need to get better acquainted with the place before taking on such a great responsibility as running it.

At this time, I will be casting my vote for Fatcat as Mayor. Her policy of cavern sealing seems prudent at this point in our fort's development.

(As she speaks, a wide smile spreads across her face. She steps off the stage for a moment to return with an easel holding a presentation. She straightens her fine giant mole leather jacket and continues speaking).

Now, while I have your attention, I'd like to point out the fact that cavern exploration is quite, quite dangerous. Sealing said caverns will likely be equally dangerous, as our former compatriots Mr. Maggot and BoujeeTheAlan would probably tell us. But should something go wrong in the caverns, how will you pay your medical bills? And if the worst should happen, what will your loved ones do about your final expenses? Well, Urist & Urist Family Insurance has you covered...

(A collective groan goes up from the audience. The pitch lasts the better part of an hour. Dan's overly friendly fast-talking demeanor bulldozes anyone who tries to interrupt her.)

...And so, for the low low price of just a hundred dwarfbucks a month, you too could purchase the peace of mind that only a policy from Urist & Urist Family Insurance can bring.

(A sigh of relief from the audience as she wraps up. As she packs up her easel, she is practically thrown off the stage by the next speaker.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:34 pm »

Maximum Spin stands again, fending off the insurance salesman with the crutch he obtained somewhere after his bat attack despite clearly having no need for one.
"I see your diplomatic talents have not been lavished on me alone, Fatcat. Very well, I see no point in holding out any longer. I, too, endorse Fatcat for Mayorpresident, as was preordained by the fates. As I see it, that represents half of the votes locked up. It looks unlikely that anyone will mount a credible alternative, though I imagine she has probably made overtures to Zalthor, at least, by now anyway."
Maximum Spin resumes his seat with an officious look.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2020, 05:07:47 am »

I think there has been enough time for speeches. We can proceed now to the first ballot.

As the dwarves in the dining room finished speaking, Nephilim finished writing on several slips of paper. Setting the paper down in a stack, he rose from his seat and placed a small pot in the middle of the table. “Since only two dwarves decided to stand for election this year and one of the two has a great deal of support,” he began, “this may prove to be more of a formality than anything. Nevertheless, the rules of our fortress charter necessitate a ballot. Simply mark your choice and place your finished ballot in the pot when you are done. In case anyone has any secret last minute doubts about the worthiness of either candidate to lead as overseer, there is a spot to write in a name of your choice.”

With his short explanation complete, he passed a ballot to each of the seven other dwarves and sat down to fill out his own.

You’ll be receiving your ballot via DM. If you want to write in a name, just respond to the DM with the name and mark the ballot as “other.”

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2020, 09:18:44 pm »

Since everyone but Zalthor (who hasn’t been online in a while and whose vote wouldn’t really change the results) has voted and there has been plenty of time to vote, it’s time to announce the results.

As soon as each ballot was placed in the pot, Nephilim took the pot and emptied its contents onto the table. He got to work unfolding each ballot and quickly counting the votes. After double-checking the results, which didn’t take long as there were only 8 ballots to check, he stood up before the rest of the dwarves.

“With one abstention, seven valid ballots were cast. For fatcat of Planthomes the Sunny Coalition of Creatures, five votes.”

Everyone looked at the victor, clearly pleased by the great showing of support she was able to garner. Even before the rest of the votes were announced, everyone knew that this was a definitive victory on her part.

“For Radipon of the United Soapmaking Advocates, two votes.”

Radipon seemed less than amused with the results, even though she could not have been that surprised given how many endorsements fatcat was able to receive. She sank into her chair and muttered something about “making them all clean” one day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“With these results,” Nephilim announced, “fatcat wins the election and shall be the overseer of Goldsilver starting tomorrow, on the 1st of Granite, 251. I congratulate my successor on her victory and wish her luck for next year.”

Congratulations to fatcat__25 for winning the first election. You can begin your turn as soon as you are able.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 09:59:10 pm »

Will do. I'll also try to have some sort of in-character acceptance soon.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2020, 12:13:13 am »

Here we go:
Fatcat quickly stands up after the official announcement of her victory and makes a crude bow. She then clears her throat and begins to talk.
"I could not have expected the volume of confidence that has been shown in me today. I am honored that you think me worthy to lead this endeavor, and to plan our work for the next year. I will do my best to not fail to show that your trust was well placed. And now, with my new responsibilities, I should go and begin my new tasks. Excavations and defenses will be commenced as soon as I can lay out plans. Now, without further ado, let us return to our work, as befits our species, and show the world the benefits of industry and democracy!"
She nods her head at the assembly, motions Nephilim to follow her, and goes out to examine the fortress, and the construction works.

I have started looking around the fortress, and will attempt to be fairly steady at playing my year. Let preparations for the next year's elections commence!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2020, 12:29:44 am »

Journal of Fatcat, overseer of Goldsilver
Slate 20th, 251
It has nearly been two months since my elections, and this is the first time since then that I have written in my journal. I was reminded to do so by the arrival of a huge party of new settlers. The trading last fall must have gotten the attention of our fellows at the Mountainhomes, and there are now 27 new citizens here in our fortress.
The first thing to happen in my overseership was the beginning of a swarm of monster-hunters. Within the last two months, ten different wanderers have stopped here to seek glory in hunting dangerous beasts. I have informed them that the caves are closed, but they are still welcome.
The work on sealing the caverns has progressed slowly. I ordered a stone drawbridge built across the entry to the caverns, and have been working on getting it linked to a lever, to shut the gate. I have yet to collect The Maggot's remains from the depths, but the other two victims have been honorably interred.
Although Nephilim had ordered stone blocks carved, we still have very few in stock. Our supply at the beginning of my term was enough to construct one section of the planned outer wall, plus a little more. To hasten the construction of proper defenses, I had another mason's workshop thrown together, which is now the site of continuous activity. I would also like to build a string of cage traps, but acquiring cages will prove difficult.
The liaison from the Mountainhome left soon after I assumed leadership, but before he did, I took the time to talk over the world's politics with him. I was surprised to learn that one of the human nations, as well as the elves, are at war with our civilization. The other humans are allied with us, and we have a peace treaty with both goblin nations.
The yaks have been reproducing at a considerable rate, and the dogs have given us another batch of puppies. The migrants have also brought a selection of other creatures for our farm. The more I see of the surroundings, the more difficult it appears to me to gain new varieties of livestock. Not only will cages be hard to acquire, there seems to be very little wildlife in this barren wasteland.
My greatest goal for this year is to open the fortress to the daylight, but it is built under the flank of a nearby mountain, requiring vast amounts of stone to be removed for this purpose. Despite this, one thick layer has been carved off of the mountainside, and another is already under work. This excavation has provided a large supply of stone for building, as well as a selection of gems.
The migrant group brought a large number of farmers, and they were quick to organize into a guild. The have requested a guild hall. I have not formally accepted, but I am trying to figure out where to construct it. Farmers are valuable to our efforts here, and should be properly honored.
I should get back to work now. This fortress requires all my time right now.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:36 am »

Slate 23d, 251
It has only been a few days since my last entry, but something entirely new has happened. A presser, Kivish Dallithvucar, suddenly seemed to go mad in the midst of a main thoroughfare in the fortress, rushed to the craftsdwarf shop, threw Radipon out of it, and started screaming for logs and bones. We were all alarmed by this outburst, until someone recalled that this happened occasionally in the Mountainhomes, and usually resulted in an artifact. After this observation, everyone except Maximum Spin seemed to be relieved. He was frustrated by the use of wood.
Slate 28th, 251
Kivish has quickly finished her work. It is an animal trap made of naked mole dog bone. It isn't the most impressive item, but it is very well made. She should be proud of her work.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:58:50 am by fatcat__25 »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2020, 06:02:34 am »

Dorf me in as "Lucky" and my make my profession "Mountainous priestess." Lucky is an ardent worshiper of Doren the giant eagle god of mountains, and she will be forming a religious sect called "the Mountain Creed". The Mountain Creed adamantly endorse PSCC(Planthome of Sunny coalition of creatures) and request from the party to build a stone pyramid temple at the highest mountain top in this area. The sect also wish for it to be fully self-sufficient , which includes: A drawbridge gating the entrance, a church for worshiping, a dormitory to sleep,  farm plots to refuel their stocks, a mess hall to eat, a meeting hall , papermaking room to make: scrolls, parchments, and quires from pig tails, and a library to write books. The Mountain Creed will contribute to the fort by sending one of their books from their library for the purpose of trade. However they will not give up any books concerning Doren.

The Mountain Creed is not very fond with Worshippers of Armok for Armok is seen as the evil creator who only  reveled  in tormenting the dwarves by forcing them to sacrifice one of their people or he will create an earthquakes to spill the blood himself.. 6 lesser dwarven gods who were agents of Armok could not stand the cruelty any longer, so they rebel against Amork. The dwarves aided the 6 dwarven gods and Armok created an army of terrifying beast who's shapes, sizes and compositions varied from large koalas with horns and claws who breathe fire, to giant glob made from mud. The war against Amrok lasted for centuries until one day Armok was finally defeated and was imprisoned deep within the mountains and his army of beast fled into the. underground caverns where they roam their forgotten to time. Nökar the god life and death (before the demon lord corrupted him) was the closest to armok's power and was able to create life as well, so Nökar created a giant eagle who he named
Doren,  to trap Armok deep within the mountains so Armok may never rise again.

The Mountain Creed see themselves as the protector of dwarvenkind and must not let worshippers of Amrok to revive the evil creator. For if blood is spilled in the name of Armok then all life as we know it will plummet into the second of age of Amrok

THE MOUNTAIN CREED

(Also, make sure the dorf is an ardent or at least a faithful worshipper of Doren and screenshot me the character description as well. Everyone is welcome to join but anyone who do join please note that you will be living at the temple where eat, sleep, worship and scribe. When you join the temple you will be given the title "Keeper of the mountain." )
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:22:47 am by Luckyowl »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:32 am »

Journal of Nephilim, Stukist Party Leader
28th Slate, 251—Our new overseer has been hard at work these past couple of months. She's embarked on some elaborate project to remove a large section of the mountain in order to expose Goldsilver to the daylight. Sounds like a defensive nightmare to me, but I suppose I can't expect much else given her party's platform. Hopefully the second elected overseer will have the sense to plug up any holes she digs.

In the meantime, a great number of migrants have arrived. I shall have to quickly assess this crowd. There could be supporters of the true queen among their numbers. Similarly, there could very easily be agents of the usurper in their midst. I will need to be on guard, though with a larger audience I can begin preparations to spread the message to the masses. With any luck I could have an influx of supporters to the party.

I shall have to ask Fatcat to set up the papermaking industry in Goldsilver. I am a papermaker by trade, after all, and having a supply of paper will be essential to my work here.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2020, 10:32:09 pm »

Hematite 10th, 251
I have been talking to the various migrants over the last couple months. Apparently most of them have been on raiding expeditions to some place called Gristlehates. It is supposed to be somewhere off to the south, and is controlled by some goblin criminal organization. Today, our fisherdwarves spotted some goblins coming up form the wasteland near our wall. At first they thought they were visitors, but then one of them started shooting at the animals. Eniteris shouted that one of them looked like a snatcher, and one of the other fishers exclaimed that they must be from Gristlehates. I ordered a bunch of the veterans from the settlers to rush upon the attackers, but two of them were killed, as well as another peasant that walked by. They goblins also killed a couple yaks, and then left at a run before any other defenders could reach them. We will have to redouble our efforts to finish the wall before any other hit and run raids come. The military is not up to returning the attack, but I hope that one day we will be able to raze the castle where the scum live.
I have ordered new coffins built for the losses. We will hasten the process of fortification, to be ready for next time the criminals arrive.
I have nicknamed one of the dwarves ""Yung Boujee," in remembrance of BoujeetheAlan. She is a young ranger who has a similar taste for beauty and leisure.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:28:06 pm by fatcat__25 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32