Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 58507 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 12:37:55 pm »

Maximum Spin stands, clears his throat, and speaks. "I would like to announce my candidacy for the position of Overseer, to insure the completion of the goals of the fatcat administration as well as to expand those goals as new opportunities arise."

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 10:10:38 pm »

As Maximum Spin finished his speech. I was about to stand up and endorse him, but I caught myself in the middle of doing so when I remember that Maximum Spin think I am up to no good. So I stayed seated. There's no point on making an endorsement speech for Fatcat. She resigned early due to stress, and has no ambition to be re-elected for some time. Poor Dwarfette, I hope she get some needed rest.

I do wonder what Maximum Spin said when he claimed that he will continued Fatcat's projects. Does that mean he will finish mine? I hope that's the case. Maybe I should ask him later if he gets elected... Hopefully I can ensure him that I am not a bad person, but he seems to be a very angry dwarf who hate woodcutters for some reason. Which is confusing, because when I ask Nephilim why MS hate woodcutters so much, he shrugged and admit that he nor anyone knows, he expect that it might be a personal issue he is going through. Nephilim also added that MS was the starting seven, and in the attendance list MS occupation was "woodcutter" so it's quite a head scratcher.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2020, 10:51:21 pm »

Fatcat stands up, wipes her brow, and begins to speak tiredly.
"Maximum Spin is not the jolliest of dwarves, but he has stood by me and encouraged me through this entire year. Some of my projects were his ideas, and some were my own, but the fortress would not be as it is without him. We have grown to trust each other, and I believe he will bring my projects to completion in a satisfactory manner. This makes the official endorsement of Maximum Spin by PSCC. May the best dwarf win."
She gives Maximum Spin a tired smile, and walks over and sits down with him.

I completed my updates. They are in this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177118.msg8193573#msg8193573
Also, whoever wins, please don't open the caverns. I saw two forgotten beasts with toxic dust down there, but since there was no way to know that they were down there in character, I didn't write about them.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2020, 11:21:55 pm »

Maximum Spin gently helps Fatcat into her seat and pats her shoulder soothingly.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2020, 02:58:27 am »

Quantum Drop does not bother to rise, in favour of simply motioning with a hand towards Maximum Spin. She seems preoccupied with some internal debate.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2020, 05:27:55 am »

Journal of Nephilim, Stukist Party Leader
Brief notes dated 31st Obsidian, 251—Radipon and M.S. both declared so far. Q.D. seems to have endorsed him. Fatcat also expressed support. Unsure of Lucky. The rest still silent so far.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2020, 09:12:29 am »

Animal killing and tree burning for all
 Support soap.

I am ashamed by this travesty of a speech from the so-called leader of our party. Where is your passion? Where is your drive?

Soap is the center of this world! It keeps the world clean! It keeps the injured free from harm! It lubricates the wheels of progress! It keeps out the evil! It is the centerpiece of which all civilization is built upon.

We must burn the trees! We must feed the animals until they grow plump on the grasses, then slay them for their precious fat! We must cleanse the world of all that would want to make it unclean!

It is a tragedy, and I would be the first to admit that the caverns are a dangerous place. BUT WE ARE DWARVES! We do not cower from danger, walled off from all the world. We go down and face them head on! These trees are our lifeblood, our charcoal, our ash, our lye. And WE WILL NOT BUY LOGS FROM THE FILTHY ELVES!

We will seize what we can from the elves, turn their precious animals into tallow, burn what we can, and burn the rest until all that remains is swept away by the spring rains.

And with this soap we can build a shining beacon to cleanliness that can seen from all four corners of the world. The rains will wash down upon Goldsilver, carrying away our cleansing suds to purge the filth from the world beyond. Cleanliness shall spread from here, where we stand, and soon the entire world shall be clean.

But I cannot do it alone, and I cannot do it with such a unenthusiastic member at the helm of our party. I hereby announce that I shall be running against my own party leader. Though it pains me to do so, I cannot clean the world alone.

I need your help. To clean the world, to dump the stones, to smooth the walls. Only together can be bring about a world that we all desire.

VOTE ENITERIS FOR OVERSEER!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2020, 03:08:51 am »

I think enough time has passed. The ballots have been distributed to each dwarf (if you don't have one let me know). The voting shall commence now.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2020, 04:03:05 am »

Once every dwarf had cast a ballot, the pot was emptied and the ballots were counted. Once one blank ballot was discarded, the remaining nine were grouped according to their candidate of choice. Once the count was double-checked, the results were announced:

"For Maximum Spin of the Miners' and Farm Workers' United Action Party, five votes."

“For Eniteris of the United Soapmaking Advocates, three votes.”

“For Radipon of the United Soapmaking Advocates, one vote.”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Congratulations to Maximum Spin for his victory. He can begin is turn as soon as he is able.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2020, 10:53:37 am »

* Maximum Spin bows and accepts the Keys to Goldsilver

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2020, 12:38:42 pm »

From the desk of Maximum Spin Gateboarded, United Action Leader

252 GR 1

Fatcat has insisted that I keep a journal of my thoughts as overseer of Goldsilver, though I have never been a wordsmith. She says that these records will aid the King in determining whether our experiment should be deemed successful. Personally, I still do not understand the value of the whole thing, of allowing dwarves to argue and compete for some agenda rather than simply making decisions and giving orders, but it is little concern of mine, and, besides, I can hardly complain about being the one in power now.

It was only natural that, after seeing the successes fatcat made with my loyal assistance, the dwarves of Goldsilver would see sense and elect me for the subsequent term. In those long days I spent convalescing from the wounds I sustained in the battle against the foul beasts from the depths, I dreamed often of the triumph I knew was inevitable. For how could anyone object to my incisive and clear-eyed plans to protect the fortress from the twin menaces of surface and cavern, nurtured as they are under those dreadful boughs and suckled on the venomous sap of destruction?

Fatcat brought me up to speed on our ongoing projects. I have made an appointment to speak with the bookkeeper immediately.

...The fool bookkeeper does not know how many unprocessed loose stones we possess. "More than a thousand, probably?", she hazards! Inadequate. I have ordered her to count them personally. Three times, to be sure. I understand she is an aunt of that soldier who died in the caves during Nephilim's disastrous forays. Truthfully, she seems an odd sort with suspicious interests, but I shall have to try to get along.

In the meantime, if it is indeed the case that we have at least a thousand stones to be cut, I feel that it is more important to have all hands manufacturing blocks than carving away the mountainside, for the moment. I have ordered the channelling project suspended and more workshops built. As this project was my own suggestion, I do not expect dissent from its postponement, though I may have to explain my reasoning to fatcat tonight.

252 GR 4

Much construction effort and material is being diverted to the large structure upon the hill, which I am given to understand belongs to the strange bird woman. Though fatcat has counseled me to be respectful of her deficiencies, and I am making an effort to show understanding, I nevertheless felt it necessary to place all work beyond the immediate outer façade of the structure on hold. We must all sacrifice. Likewise, I have deputised every dwarf a mason, except the stonecounter, who must count stones. Work proceeds with more aplomb thereafter.

Unrelatedly, the massive remains of the hideous cyclops in our gatehouse comfort no one. Fatcat had already ordered the nauseous heap thrown athwart the wall, yet nobody seems willing to touch it. I have not volunteered.

252 GR 11

Luck countermands us. Yung Boujee falls into a fey mood while cutting blocks. Whatever treasure she makes will be less useful to me than blocks. At least she has deigned not to use a masonry shop.

252 GR 15

Yung Boujee's work comprises kingsnake bone, jelly opals, and... lime wood. I seethe. Fatcat forbids me from having the room walled over while she works. I will at least arrange that the awful thing be placed well out of my sight when it is complete.

252 GR 20

It is a shield. I am somewhat, but not very, mollified. It will be displayed in the farmers' guild hall, I decide; I place an order for a pedestal, a small and insignificant misallocation of stone.

252 GR 23

A party of travellers arrives from overbrook. I counted some 26 head and an assortment of beasts. They are all masons now. I ordered additional work stations. A new rangers' guild is also declared; since Yung Boujee is a ranger, her shield will be displayed in their guildhall instead of the farmers'. Luckily I did not yet announce my previous plan to the farmers. The new guildhall will be placed on the floor above the previous one to minimise expenditures.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2020, 07:29:34 pm »

252 SL 5

The birdwoman has given birth to a girl. It seems she has four, and a son, but only this newest child lives here. The baby's father is a fisherdwarf of little significance. I listened politely as she described every detail of her five births, lingering on their similarities and differences. I admit that she seems a decent sort enough sort despite her bizarre personal habits. I also learned that, alongside the bird-goddess to whom she has dedicated the hill structure, she also worships my own god, Nökor the Dead Glands, to whom I have established a small shrine in the crypts. I will avoid judging her for her fetishes.

252 SL 12

Mayor Dumed demands statues. My fury is indescribable. Nevertheless, our block stockpiles overrunneth, so I will not press the issue.

A dwarf purporting to be a prophet has also arrived. I do not know to what god he may be devoted, and, given the theological tension in Goldsilver, I will have to keep an eye on him.

252 SL 20

The lowest level of the curtain wall nears completion. I have resumed excavation of the overlying layers as labour becomes available. However, I am not certain how fatcat meant to close the northern face, whether it should continue west to join the hillside or turn south and connect at the edge of the excavation site. I shall ask her tonight.

252 FE 2

Kea people sighted on the surface. They do not seem dangerous. Of their own accord, some of the rangers have decided to treat them as screaming skeet. I am not sure this is right but have declined to intervene.

252 FE 28

Progress continues at acceptable rates. Harassment of the keafolk has not ceased. A resident inherited a lordship from somewhere I have not heard of. I have developed concerns that our drink supply is inadequate, and have ordered the construction of a second still.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2020, 05:05:20 am »

A resident inherited a lordship from somewhere I have not heard of.
Would you mind posting some info about this noble?

Journal of Nephilim, Stukist Party Leader
1st Granite, 252—Maximum Spin won yesterday's election with five votes, four opposition votes dispersed between the two pro-soap candidates. If things remain exactly as they were come the end of Obsidian this new year, five votes will be the winning number. M.S. was all but explicitly stated to be the chosen successor of Fatcat, whose incomplete projects are promised completion during this year. I am not yet well-acquainted with Lucky, but I have reason to believe that she supports the M.S.–Fatcat alliance. Rumor has it that she's the self-proclaimed priestess of some new religious group; supposedly the construction work begun on the top of the mountain is to serve as the site for her worship. Perhaps the promise to finish Fatcat's projects includes this site. Lucky also appeared to be ready to endorse M.S. during the election before backing down, possibly in deference to Fatcat who spoke next. If this alliance continues into the next election, it supplies over half of the five votes needed to win.

I am fairly certain that my dear Q.D. gave M.S. his fourth vote, seeing as she endorsed him—albeit half-heartedly—and didn't seem particularly impressed by the opposition. Her lack of enthusiasm indicates that her allegiance to this alliance is probably almost nonexistent. If Lucky were to ever run for overseer, furthermore, I imagine that the religious differences between the two would lose this fourth vote. This leaves the fifth vote, which I am uncertain of. I can safely eliminate both pro-soap candidates as suspects, leaving Dan, Yung Boujee, and Zalthor as possibilities. Dan is theoretically a Stukist, though whether or not she will prove loyal to any official endorsements in future elections remains to be seen. Yung Boujee, much like the old Boujee, seems unlikely to haved supported a candidate like M.S. who promised to continue large-scale projects involving mass movement of dirt, mud, and stone. That said, perhaps the ideals of the United Soapmaking Advocates are repugnant to those of the resurrected Sparkly Unicorn Party in such a way that the United Action Party is actually the least offensive choice. I am almost positive that Zalthor is the one casting the blank ballots. Perhaps this is an act of protest over the lack of political support for the "Every Dwarf a King" policy.

Yesterday's election revealed a startling lack of unity within the pro-soap party. Had they simply rallied behind one candidate, they could have won all four opposition votes under one dwarf. Not a winning number, but from there only one more vote would have been needed to secure a victory. Trying to stop any one candidate from obtaining the votes needed to win and thus forcing multiple ballots is also a possible strategy. I shall have to consider the possibilities.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:53 pm »

A resident inherited a lordship from somewhere I have not heard of.
Would you mind posting some info about this noble?
Sure.
Spoiler: thoughts page (click to show/hide)
As you can see, he's a citizen of our civilisation, the Confining Clasps, but not yet of our site government, the North Mountain, as he is only here as a monster slayer. Interestingly, his lordship is of a human site government, the Fortunate Society, occupying the hamlet of Visionshove three days' travel to the southwest in the Routed Hill region. We are at war with their parent civilisation, the Admired Confederations, but this is not yet a problem (and they are rather far away, and on the opposite side of our own civilisation and our allied humans).

This is not really a place I would expect anyone in the fort to be familiar with unless they also came from there. Honestly, it's a mystery how we even found out about the succession. Perhaps it was so important to them that they sent a runner deep into enemy territory just to tell the guy who doesn't live there anymore that he's in charge.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:20 pm »

252 HE 1

Stonecounter claims to have counted all the stones. I have designated her manager so that she will not lack work. Her new responsibilities will include issuing orders to keep supplies within acceptable parameters. Pursuant to which, I have now placed block production under her jurisdiction so that we will neither run out of blocks nor produce more than needed. The pointless flapping and squawking of the keafolk continues to vex and I have begun to see the light of shooting at them.

252 HE 9

Merchants arrive from our human allies of the Confederacy of Cakes. We are ill provisioned for trade, but I shall see what can be arranged. Truly, we want for little at the moment, though I have been convinced, begrudgingly, to allow the purchase of wood-based fuel so that we may expand into new industries. Burning is the only proper thing to happen to wood in any case.

Having been informed that the construction already ordered by the fatcat administration had concluded on the hilltop structure, I have taken the liberty of observing it. I am certain that it is still unfinished, but, without any written plans, I am not sure how its development was meant to proceed from here, so I have ordered further construction in a manner which seems reasonable to me. However, I noticed in the process that the majority of the structure has been built of rusticated dolomite, while, when I have been sought on occasion by masons complaining of missing materials, I had furnished dolomite ashlar identical to that used in the curtain wall instead! Needless to say, the walls and floors of the structure vary between rough and smooth accordingly. I do not think Lucky will mind, but just in case, I have broached with her the possibility of finishing it with a smoothly-sloping outer layer. It has come up in our conversation that she is fond of shale, rhodolite, and billon, so I will make an effort to look out for these materials in trade.

In happier news, a keaman has been killed and the rest fled. The skies are still once more.

252 HE 13

Some time ago I assigned many miscellaneous tasks to the unskillful peasants of Goldsilver, including fishing in the brook, having previously expanded the designated area for so doing. I now regret this decision when a fisherdwarf's guild is announced. They have not yet placed a formal request for their own building, which is for the best, as I have not even spared the labour to give the last guild more than a rooftop platform with Yung Boujee's shield on display. It does not even have railings. I suppose if such a request does come in I can simply divide the roof between them and put up another shiny object to mollify them.

As I wrote the preceding paragraph the cry went up that a giant vulture has been sighted over the courtyard. It does not appear to intend ill, but I consider placing the keaman corpse in the open as a warning.

252 HE 28

Despite much interference from the flock of giant vultures now living above us, favourable trade is concluded. Much petty stone implements, mussels from the brook, mussel-based crafts, and other miscellany are exchanged for the entire available supply of wood, various caged beasts, seeds, edible plants, and certain raw materials. I place all wood supplies under immediate interdiction until charcoal is needed. Unfortunately, neither I nor broker Nephilim are clear on exactly which plants can be grown in our region. We will have to learn by trial and error. I have also acquired an eagle, which I will be offering to Lucky as a conciliatory gesture.

252 MA 4

War with the vultures has escalated. Two have been killed and three remain, while a fellow miner, Litast Caveblowing, has been grievously injured. It seems she is likely to survive, but by no means certain. We are not close but I am responsible for all Goldsilver's miners. However, I write rather to note that another resident monster slayer has claimed lordship of a faraway human hamlet. This one is a human himself, and quite elderly; it seems he now rules, from exile, a town called Summitjoined four days south, on the opposite side of the dwarven kingdom. The region is called the Hill of Scribes, nestled between the forests of the depraved elves of the Birth of Prophecy, and is heavily settled under the watchful eye of the castle Lovebalance. It is little concern of mine, but may be of some value in diplomacy.

252 MA 7

Another human monster slayer obtains a lordship. I worry that our distant allies may be losing a war, to have so many of their lords presumably die within so short a time. If the Confederacy of Cakes are lost, there will be no one left for us to trade with but our own people.

Two vultures have fled while the last yet disrupts work.

252 MA 10

Miner and fellow politician Zalthor has fallen into a fey mood. This is a mild setback, but not an exceptional one. She claims a masonry shop and soon sets about her work.

252 MA 22

I am given to understand that Cerol, a peasant, has become depressed due largely to missing her family. Upon checking the records, I determine that her husband is a miner who may have been called away by the excavation projects; I decide to allow him time off. While I am thinking about it, I also declare that any dwarves who have not yet grown skillful in masonry are once more relieved from blockmaking duty, though many more blocks are still needed and another draft may become required. The amount of material demanded by fatcat's plan is staggering, especially as pertains to the southern wall, which must eventually reach the level of the mountain's peak, a massive bulwark against the world beyond. I am not sure it will be completed even in my year.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32