Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 57767 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2021, 03:17:25 am »

Nephilim speaks up: "It is fortunate that we have one amongst us who is willing to stand for election." Here Nephilim paused briefly to glance at Imic and Quantum Drop, both of whom had been floated as candidates by members of the electorate, but had remained silent and kept their gazes averted. "I must, however, point out to Eniteris II that the electoral rules dictate that he must join a political party to stand for election. Thus, I ask under what party he will be listed on the ballot."
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2021, 05:03:26 am »

(Quantum Drop stirs, apparently broken from thought once again.)

"Apologies for my silence, honoured peers. I will stand in this election. The issue of crime in this fortress must be resolved at speed - we must ensure those we know to be guilty are punished, but we must temper the rule of law with incentives to follow it. What reason does a Dwarf have to fear the law, after all, should it have proven toothless as a Cavy in ensuring that criminals do not continue their vile deeds?

"My plans for the year - should I be elected, of course - as are follows: First, we must develop the temples, library, and tavern areas of our fortress further, to provide citizens with a means of distraction and relaxation - at the same time, judgement must be enacted on the criminals of the fortress, to counter the deleterious effects on morale their actions have caused. Second, the corpse stockpiles in the courtyard must be disposed of. Intimidating a sight as it is to any who would threaten us, the stench and sight seem to be proving rather... unpleasant, for many of the citizens.

"Once these issues with morale have been solved, well, we shall see how the year progresses. Armok guide us all."

OOC: Sorry for my inactivity; a mix of family matters, needing to catch up on University work, and various other bits have kept me busy for the past while.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2021, 02:15:59 am »

I haven't said much because everything I considered saying sounded really weird.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2021, 05:46:14 pm »

"If I must join a party to be on the ballot, then so be it. Due to the unfortunate circumstances of their current leader, I will be running on behalf of the Sparkly Unicorn Party. The wealth of Goldsilver must be shared with all who live here, not just reserved for the nobles."

Boujee seems to be inactive, and my dwarf seems most aligned to their party? I'm not sure if I want to start another party.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2021, 06:42:23 pm »

PTW, this seems interesting.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2021, 10:00:14 pm »

"I will run as well."

OOC: I wanted to say more but I couldn't think of anything so... yeah.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2021, 10:00:57 pm »

By the way @Travis Bickle, there seems to be a little bit of outdated information on the front page for political parties. Membership lists haven't been updated lately with deaths, and Lucky's organization is still listed as supporting PSCC rather than the SAC, despite the former merging into the latter several years ago. I just thought I'd bring that to your attention. :)

Also, at least 3 candidates, possibly 4. What a year!
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2021, 04:26:48 am »

Nice to have more than two candidates for the first time since the second election. Hopefully future elections show just as much participation. I'll prepare and send out a ballot sometime tomorrow, so if anyone wants to stand as the fourth candidate, speak up now.

PTW, this seems interesting.
Glad to know that people are interested in the thread.  :)

By the way @Travis Bickle, there seems to be a little bit of outdated information on the front page for political parties. Membership lists haven't been updated lately with deaths, and Lucky's organization is still listed as supporting PSCC rather than the SAC, despite the former merging into the latter several years ago. I just thought I'd bring that to your attention. :)
Yeah, sorry about that. The OP's been in desperate need of an update for a while, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. Hopefully I'll have all the party platforms and dwarf information updated with the most current details ASAP.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:30 am »

The ballot has been prepared and shall be sent out immediately. Let the voting begin!

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2021, 08:59:24 pm »

It did not take long for all the votes to be counted. Not counting abstentions, only seven votes were cast. The majority was slim, reaching victory by a single vote, but a majority nonetheless.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“A prosperous reign to Quantum Drop, the next overseer of Goldsilver!” announced Nephilim.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:34 pm »

Fatcat rises, and slightly bows to Quantum Drop.
"Congratulations on your victory! I hope that my trust, and the trust of the fortress, have been well placed."
She sits quickly back down, in case QD has anything to say.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2021, 02:27:36 pm »

8th Granite, 256

A mere week and a day into the year, and already we have seen several deaths. Two of them were suicides – both of them had gone mad in the past, refusing any effort to make them eat or drink until the effects of such negligence caught up to them. Senseless though this waste of their gift of life may be, they will be buried, nonetheless.

More concerning are the reports of a murder in broad daylight: no warning, no sentence, simply a dwarf beating another into the ground until his head broke from a shield-blow. All throughout the fortress, there are similar signs of potential anarchy; violent tantrums, depressed citizens sulking in the shadows, and deranged dwarves stumbling about without care throughout the halls.

Even Nephilim, dear Nephilim, has been lashing out in frustration as of late – perhaps moreso than I feared. According to our sole true surgeon, one of the Axedwarves that died in the lower hospital today claimed with his last breath that Nephilim, of all dwarves, was the one that wounded him to this point.

It still nags at the back of my mind. No matter how much I tell myself that he misidentified his attacker, or that he was addled by the injuries to his spine, that damned suspicion will not go away, even as anarchy continues to spread: Fath Tobularban was recently murdered by one of those damned Human swordsmen, and some of the more unstable soldiers have begun to turn on one another in half-random bouts of madness.

At this rate, I fear that harsher measures must be enacted to curb this violence; Armok’s thirst must be slaked, but I refuse to let dwarven blood be that which does so. That Dumed’s blood-mad ways have cost us enough already.

For now, I have ordered that the corpse-pile in the main courtyard is to be disposed of – or, at the very least, removed to a place where it will not further affect the more unstable citizens – and have personally begun to prepare the necessary actions to exorcise a particularly troublesome spectre; it is high time that his soul goes to Him, and that he stops his constant haunting of the living.

12th Granite

Having spent the past few days speaking with the various personages of the fort, I have found a significant issue that requires immediate correction: several deities widely worshipped in Goldsilver lack even a single shrine to their name!

I doubt I need to elaborate on why this is such an issue. With the levels of stress and trauma our dwarves have been put through so far, more than a few have taken up faith in the gods as a means of coping – yet without any proper place to worship, communion with them is all but impossible, the distractions offered by the industry of the fort preventing even the most focused from doing so.

That changes today. Orders have been given to dig out and smooth several new areas alongside the extant temples, with decoration and engraving soon to follow – Nokor alone knows we need as many of the gods on our side as we can get.

Furthermore, considering the abundance of clay in the fortress grounds, consideration must be given to –

(The page abruptly terminates).

1st Slate

The spectre of the fallen dwarf has been exorcised from Goldsilver; in lieu of burying a body, we have been forced to erect an engraved memorial. Either way, he will be troubling his past acquaintances no more.

15th Slate

One of the Woodcutters went funny today. Locked himself in one of the workshops; won’t come out no matter what his friends do to try and draw him out. I’ve given orders to leave him for now, lest any intervention have some damaging consequence on this worker’s already-strained mind – we will simply have to wait and see what comes of this. 

3rd Felsite

Damn those misbegotten half-breeds!

Those accursed kea-spawn have been harassing the workers in the courtyard, exploiting the open-air design  to land and scare any dwarves attempting to pass by, then taking off before any measure of retribution can be levelled upon them! It has all but paralysed travel and work through the central courtyard of Goldsilver, with workers refusing to move through the area due to the risk of being attacked.

The Artefacts of Paper have been sent in, with orders to knock those feathered half-breeds out of the sky. Armok will have to be happy with their blood.

4th Felsite

I suppose it is appropriate, in a certain manner, that the dwarf tasked with handling our dead has fallen himself. How, I remain unsure – investigations must be made.

Furthermore, there has arisen a great crashing and roaring from the walled-off sections of the caverns; whatever beast now lurks down there seems to be venting its wrath upon trees and whatever animals it can find alike. I will not deny it: with the state we are in at the moment, the prior Overseers were far more justified in sealing the caverns than I gave them credit for.

In slightly better news, the woodcutter from weeks ago has emerged from his workshop, bearing a slate crown:

OOC: Okay, a run-down on the current state of the fort:

Stress-wise, we’re still suffering. At least a dozen dwarves are simultaneously tantruming, depressed, or oblivious at any given time, and the literal hundreds of supposed-to-be-pastured animals crowding into corridors three tiles (or one tile) wide seem to be partly responsible for the framerate being at 15-20. Half the population is either red or yellow-lining on stress, with about two in ‘harrowed’ territory and one having gone completely cuckoo.

The main gate has been drawn up for now, to prevent any more horrified/uneasy thoughts from seeing the dead hippies and goblins outside the walls. The masons, craftsdwarves, etc. are working to produce statues, chests, coffers, and trade goods to try and bump up their own happiness (by creating masterworks/satisfying 'acquire something' needs) and by kitting out the bedrooms of the fort. The less stressed workers are being assigned to dumping the corpses in the fort’s corridors down the nearest hole. The smoothing of the central courtyard’s stones continues, with the intent to have the more skilled Engravers work there once smoothed fully – hopefully, the masterwork/high quality arts they’ll come up with can help produce some positive thoughts.

All the party leaders bar Nephilim and Lucky (both red-lining, around 10,000 stress away from 'Harrowed') are yellow-lining on stress, with the exception of Fatcat. Considering that Nephilim's managed to accidentally two dwarves (the Axedwarf and the Undertaker), dealing with that’s a high priority.

I apologise for the  slow speed of my update – IRL’s become rather unexpectedly hectic, and I’m trying to be careful with the fort so that I don’t accidentally cause stress to spiral further.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:57:05 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2021, 05:37:29 am »

the literal hundreds of supposed-to-be-pastured animals crowding into corridors three tiles (or one tile) wide seem to be partly responsible for the framerate being at 15-20.
Perhaps we need some mass sacrifices to Armok to improve the good fortune of our fortress.  ;D

All the party leaders bar Nephilim and Lucky (both red-lining, around 10,000 stress away from 'Harrowed') are yellow-lining on stress, with the exception of Fatcat. Considering that Nephilim's managed to accidentally two dwarves (the Axedwarf and the Undertaker), dealing with that’s a high priority.
It took essentially my entire year to get Nephilim back to "Haggard" from "Harrowed," and that was with him training in the fortress guard to improve his skills and sleeping in the high quality Overseer's Mansion bedroom. Has he been given new living arrangements fitting for the captain of the guard?

I apologise for the  slow speed of my update – IRL’s become rather unexpectedly hectic, and I’m trying to be careful with the fort so that I don’t accidentally cause stress to spiral further.
Don't worry too much about it. As long as you're releasing updates it's all right if it's a little slow, especially if that means helping the fortress out of its stress spiral.

Events of 4th Felsite, 256, Late Night
"You may sit, Unib."

With her captain's permission, the second-in-command of the Black Legion took her seat at the corner table of The Elder Gold tavern. At this late hour, most dwarves were asleep; the few who remained in the tavern had long since passed the benchmark for drunkenness, having gone so far as to be considered to have had too much even by Dwarven standards. These few passed their time in a daze, mumbling the slurred words to a drinking song they could hardly remember or simply drooling onto the table, allowing the leader of the Stukist Party and the Black Legion to hold his meeting in peace. As she sat down, Unib noticed that Nephilim was cleaning his gloves in a small bowl of water he had with him on the table. As he scrubbed the gloves in the water, it became redder and redder in color.

Nephilim noticed that Unib was watching what he was doing. "Something very special to me was harmed, so I took care of it," he said tersely.

Unib nodded silently in response. She knew not to pry too deeply into the affairs of her captain, especially in these recent months. Such behavior was not conducive to her remaining in a leadership position for much longer. Her position had already marginally decreased in prestige with the conclusion of the Stukist government of the previous year, although the current leadership of the fortress had thus far allowed the Black Legion to continue to operate without disturbance. Her current circumstances satisfactory enough, Unib had no intention of allowing them to worsen.

"Although in times like these such aesthetic concerns may seem trivial," began after a short pause, having ceased washing his gloves, "but I trust that the design I requested has been completed."

"It has, Captain," responded Unib. Reaching into her backpack, she withdrew a rectangular piece of black cloth. Decorating the center of the cloth was a familiar symbol depicting a crown behind a set of bars. Above this symbol was a crude depiction of a skull.

"A fitting flag for the Black Legion," Nephilim mused approvingly. "Have it hung in the pyramid tomorrow."

"Yes, Captain," Unib responded. She returned the flag to her bag and rose from her chair.

"Loyalty unto death," said Nephilim.

"Loyalty unto death," she replied as she saluted her captain.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »

22nd Felsite
Insanity has taken another of Goldsilver’s citizens. A Mason, this time; refusing to eat or drink no matter what the doctors try. Regrettable.

28th Felsite

Orders have been given to butcher some of the less-useful animals: these Cavies in particular breed like rats, and many of these stray dogs and horses and peahens and – Nokor take them all! The corridor outside the temples of a fort is no place for such a patchwork menagerie, and the pastures we have are already filled with enough animals to choke every corridor in the walls of Goldsilver.

Of course, that is only part of the reason. The blood spilled in such actions shall keep Armok’s thirst slaked, if only for a few months.

6th Malachite

A Peasant has destroyed the Upper Dorm Bridge; smashed one of the mechanisms that allows us to raise and lower it, sending it crumbling into pieces shortly afterwards. Repairs are ongoing.

13th Malachite

Lucky looked even worse than before by the time she entered Quantum’s office. The heavy, wrinkled lines on her face were even more pronounced, and her grey hairs had begun to outnumber the brown. She was cleaning some still-wet rusty smears off of her hands with a piece of torn cloth – going by the bleak look in her eyes and the way she half-slumped into the waiting chair, the news wasn’t good.

“Bomrek will pull through,” she began, without preamble. “But he’ll be bedbound for the next few weeks, at the minimum – damn near every bone in his hands and feet are broken, and we haven’t a single cast for lack of gypsum powder.” Her features relaxed slightly as she continued. “His nerves aren’t damaged, by Doren’s grace, so he’ll still be able to walk and work after his bones heal.”

“And the others?” Quantum demanded, long fingers curling about one another. She’d been working on the shop floor when the fight broke out, and was still thoroughly on edge.

“Master Cogzat came off the better, it seems; a few cuts and bruises, but nothing serious. Sobìrlikot, however…” A taut shake of the head, the grim, exhausted expression back in full force. Quantum merely closed her eyes for a moment before nodding her acknowledgement, gesturing with a hand to continue. A new soap-maker would be needed, but that could wait for the moment. “Ral Ustutharan’s broken one of his hands, but he’ll be fine given rest and good treatment.”

“An unfortunate loss. You and your staff did well.”

A sigh, Lucky slumping deeper into her chair.

“Not well enough.” She replied, sounding far, far older than she actually was. “When will this damnable nightmare come to an end?”

Quantum silently turned from the table, staring down into the courtyard.

“I don’t know, Lucky,” She murmured, eyes narrowing as she looked at the blood, the tantrums, the cluster of statues right in the very centre of the court. “I do not know at all.”

23rd Malachite

I… am not entirely sure what seems to make this so interesting to my fellow dwarves. To me, it seems like little more than several vague figures, arranged from left to right, and yet those who have seen it are oddly enamoured with the sight – or at the very least, willing to praise it.

11th Galena

Tekkud, one of the axedwarves, seems to have grown attached to a steel battle axe. That he carries it at all hours is hardly surprising, considering the excellent craftsdwarfship of it – that he has begun to whisper sweet nothings to it, however, may be cause for concern…

15th Limestone

The caravan from the mountainhomes has arrived, bringing with it the Jester-King’s diplomat and a wealth of trade goods. Kel informs me that we have the ‘honour’ of being elevated in the eyes of the realm – and if what he picked up on was anything to go by, the ambassador rather broadly hinted that it would be a poor idea to try and refuse the Fool’s latest attempt to meddle in our affairs.

In terms of trade, the Mayor managed to keep us at arm’s length – steel bars and sand-bags were his main requests, if only to placate the ambassador. Neither of us saw much reason to ask for what Goldsilver may produce itself, after all.

4th Sandstone
That Milker, Kol – all of a sudden, he went mad. Let off a laugh like that of the Devil himself, then grabbed Rimtar by the shoulder and dragged him off into one of the butchers’ shops. Neither of them’ve come out so far.

7th Sandstone

…I have been a fool.

So focused on the health of the fortress and my fellows citizens, so focused on looking inwards, that I forgot to look to defend against the outside.

I had thought that closing the pyramid and curtain wall’s bridges would be enough – that this dull-witted creature would lack the intellect to find other ways in. I was a fool, and we have paid the price.

The accursed creature leapt down into the courtyard! It landed amidst the stills, out in the open fields – almost crushing one of the haulers in its landing. Poor bastard didn’t last a minute against that monster before it had him on the ground, and I have little doubt that it would have taken more lives were it not for its base sadism. Its savagery and the sound of havoc summoned the fortress guard to battle – along with those forced to stand their ground and fight.

Lucky’s supposed fortune almost ran out today. Not fatally so, thank the gods, but enough for that accursed beast to land a blow – it seemed almost single-mindedly fixated upon her, even as its limbs were hacked away – with one of its claw-like nails. She will never walk again without the aid of a crutch.

Damnation!

OOC: There's a bit near the back walls, where there's just enough land and not enough wall. The damn Cyclops was able to get onto the floor/wall-top, then jump right down into the courtyard - needless to say, that's getting fixed ASAP. Next update should be the last for my turn.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2021, 06:31:02 pm »

Darn. I thought I sealed that area on my turn. Well done handling the stress problems so far. I hope you can fix a bit more of the fortress before you are done.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32