Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Runestones - dwarven look on books.  (Read 1314 times)

T-362

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Runestones - dwarven look on books.
« on: August 21, 2020, 07:06:25 am »

So - runestones: statue-sized, constructable, readable furniture.

Runestone can be created (with same material requirements as a Statue, why not?):
  • from rock in the Mason's workshop - called 'Runestone' - for ye Eddur and other prose that rocks
  • from (hard?) metal in a Forge - called 'Stele' - write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted
  • from wood just no, no fancy things for you, pointy ears

After creation a runestone can be used to 'make a copy' of any other type of finished book in Craftsdwarf workshop using Engraving skill (same way as slabs).

Difference from other weak and short living writing forms:
  • Cannot be used by Scholars to write a new book, only to copy an existing book.
  • Can be read only when placed (no more book stealing).
  • Can be admired.
  • Words can kill, shootgun a runestone into goblins.

Possible new ideas to implement:
  • Dwarves will read a book while passing by.
  • Dwarves will go to the exact runestone to read it, similar to going to library to read something (instead of placing runestone in the library like a bookshelf).
  • New occupation "Public tutor" - gathers free time citizens around the runestone to teach using Speaker, Teacher and some other social skills.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Re: Runestones - dwarven look on books.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 08:20:14 am »

For some odd reason, the first thing I thought of upon reading this was teachers and historians. I think it's due to the fact that you mention dwarves using runestones to teach to free dwarves about something written upon it and/or going to said runestone after reading a book about it. What could be interesting is having dwarves specifically recording all their fortress's history and heritage into a book, or write a fiction settled in a specific era of the fortress, or go full Epic-of-Gilgamesh mode and write a whole pamphlet about their leader and start a novel or a religion out of it.
Back to the subject tho, it's a good idea. Maybe two dwarves could be working on the fabrication of those runestones, maybe Scholars/Nobles and Carpenters/Mason/Craftsdwarves.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

T-362

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:52:30 am »

What could be interesting is having dwarves specifically recording all their fortress's history and heritage into a book, or write a fiction settled in a specific era of the fortress, or go full Epic-of-Gilgamesh mode and write a whole pamphlet about their leader and start a novel or a religion out of it.
We have some similar things already - statues customization. Should be just similar manager task for books. First you select a topic (history), then details (fortress history) and - "print". So manager will assign a dwarf with related skills to gather data (ask other fortress citizens about the history) and write a book.

Maybe two dwarves could be working on the fabrication of those runestones, maybe Scholars/Nobles and Carpenters/Mason/Craftsdwarves.
So-so, because runestones are just for copying existing content on them we need some (en)graver to copy text accurate and precise, and craftsdwarf of related type to make the stone itself. Quality of book's content should be just the same.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:18:30 pm »

Why onlt dwarves? I think it should be linked to culture.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 06:26:21 am »

I like this a lot, it woul dbe great to imagine the landscape around a Hold dotted with lumping great stones covered with runes. And maybe a scuplture garden or temple within a Hold full of these things.

A while ago I would bring a single stone from the mountainhomes in the embark wagon, then engrave it and place it on the ground where I dig my new fortrtess. A bit like a Warhammer dwarfs 'Oathstone'.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 02:05:25 am »

I'd have something like Runestones be part of something like an "Old Religion" or whatever.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 03:19:03 pm »

I'd have something like Runestones be part of something like an "Old Religion" or whatever.

I think it should be part of the magic at world gen.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 09:20:17 pm »

Don't we already have something close to this with slabs?

T-362

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 06:17:19 pm »

Don't we already have something close to this with slabs?
Slab is something in between of hand held and tombstone. This idea is huge and stationary readable.