Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Opinion Sharing Thread  (Read 4228 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
The Opinion Sharing Thread
« on: August 27, 2020, 02:04:23 pm »

There have been recent sharing of opinions, and a recent call by the opinion sharer to have a thread for it, so this is a place to share opinions about whatever. Keep things civil, don’t be insulting, follow the forum guidelines etc

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Opinion Sharing Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »

This seems like an excitingly terrible idea and I am excited to see what happens next.

That's my starting opinion!

Okay, okay, fine. My most important opinion directly applying to what Rolan asked, or sort of asked, is a sense of Sartrean radical freedom and, relatedly, that virtually none of the things that determine what people do have anything to do with what they are "taught" by society, nor, in my experience, do people usually respect their perceived social limitations. I have heard that it is different in the cities, but I am not convinced.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:19:45 pm by Maximum Spin »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:34:34 am »

In my opinion, people should involve quantities in their debates and opinions more often. The same statement may be true when the relevant quantity is x, but false when it is y. And absolute nonsense when it is z.

Just as an example. Is water good for you? Well, it depends on the number. One glass of water is good for you. Sixty glasses of water is poison. A million glasses of water will crush you. 10^24 glasses of water will crush you and form a planet. 10^30 glasses of water will crush you and form a star. A google glasses of water will crush you and collapse the universe into a black hole.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:46:56 am by Quarque »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 06:57:40 am »

The bands you like were never good.

Real opinion alongside Quarque - It should be acceptable to believe something just because you want to believe it. If someone thinks drinking cayenne pepper and lemon water every night is healthy and they enjoy doing it - I think that's fine. The only problem is when they push it on others with a dedicated misunderstanding of some research.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:34 pm »

Okay but you guys noticed that the post that reactivated this thread was surprisingly clever spam, right?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:12:33 pm »

Pie > cake.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:21:07 pm »

Pie > cake.
But how much pie and how much cake are we talking about here? The debate has no meaning without the numbers.

It should be acceptable to believe something just because you want to believe it. If someone thinks drinking cayenne pepper and lemon water every night is healthy and they enjoy doing it - I think that's fine. The only problem is when they push it on others with a dedicated misunderstanding of some research.
Absolutely agree. If you like eating small children, that is totally acceptable. Unless you are one of those people trying to force others to eat them, too - I hate that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:25:52 pm »

But only if those children have already died a natural death prior to consumption.  Or you would be forcing your eating preferences on them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:34 pm »

I think this thread sucks
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 05:36:43 pm »

I think it blows
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 11:18:39 pm »

Speaking of children, teenagers should not be described as or treated as children no matter what horrible thing happens to them. People older than that, like college students, should even less.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 04:31:30 am »

Yes, but also: No

Opinion: Dreams that make you wake up in a bad mood are awful and should be abolished
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »

Pie > cake.
But how much pie and how much cake are we talking about here? The debate has no meaning without the numbers.
I am guessing they mean the same mass of cake as pie, e.g. 6 kg of cake vs 6 kg of pie. Of course flavor is an important factor as well. Opinion: 6 kg of chocolate cake > 6 kg > pumpkin pie > 6 kg every other cake/pie flavor. Note: Opinion based on faulty data, very little flavors of cake/pie were tried

Opinion 2: Dreams you remember are better than dreams you don’t, even if they are nightmares, at least you have a story to tell

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 10:12:06 pm »

I propose Cake Charts as a new take on Pie Charts. In a Cake Chart, you encode another bit of data for that segment in the height of each slice.

For example, you'd have each pie segment being the percentage of the population which are boomers, millenials etc, and the height of the pie slice would be the average wealth per person. The volume of each slice would then be the total wealth held by all Boomers. etc.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:15:47 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 10:18:05 pm »

So a cake chart would be a 3d pie chart and a bar graph combined, is that right?

Opinion: people shouldn’t indoctrinate their children into cults/religion, or politics, or anything else. Teach children skills they need, don’t tell the, what to believe

Opinion 2: Cults and religions are differentiated mainly by size/number of adherents
Opinion 2 is definitely disprovable, so correct me if it is wrong, opinion at the top seems correct to me but I think it’s more subjective than opinion 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4