Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Opinion Sharing Thread  (Read 4230 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Opinion Sharing Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 10:20:31 pm »

So a cake chart would be a 3d pie chart and a bar graph combined, is that right?

Yeah, basically. Although we can inception one level more, and have a Layered Cake Chart, where every Slice is actually made of slices going vertically.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 10:28:39 pm »

So we can b3 showing 3 data types simultaneously? Sounds good

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 10:38:18 pm »

Opinion 2: Cults and religions are differentiated mainly by size/number of adherents.

Cults or "high demand religions" require a higher level of conformity from their members, and they strictly control members' beliefs and behaviors, often reinforced through public shaming and humiliation.  Many believe that brainwashing is also involved.  My opinion is that the size of the movement doesn't determine whether it is or is not a cult.

That's what modern usage refers to as a "cult," but historically it had other meanings.  The old mystery cults, for example, were very different from this modern meaning.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:50:33 pm by ZBridges »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 12:07:47 am »

So a cake chart would be a 3d pie chart and a bar graph combined, is that right?

Opinion: people shouldn’t indoctrinate their children into cults/religion, or politics, or anything else. Teach children skills they need, don’t tell the, what to believe

Opinion 2: Cults and religions are differentiated mainly by size/number of adherents
Opinion 2 is definitely disprovable, so correct me if it is wrong, opinion at the top seems correct to me but I think it’s more subjective than opinion 2
Yeah education should always be secular and religion has no place in schools. However religions should not be outlawed unless they're death cults or something. Freedom of religion is a basic human right.

And I'm saying this as a (very casual, I don't go to church or anything) Christian.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 12:11:42 am »

I don’t remember saying anything hot about outlawing it, just that parents shouldn’t force their children to believe what they do

Opinion: what’s considered overthinking varies from person to person

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 06:36:56 am »

Also the degree towards which they demand a clash with standard social mores, for varying values of social mores.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 06:39:32 am »

What do you guys think about deliberately not seeking out information regarding something unknown?

The only merit I think such wilful ignorance possesses is that it can allow for joyful discoveries on a planet Earth which otherwise has fewer and fewer mysteries to uncover

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 11:38:23 am »

What do you guys think about deliberately not seeking out information regarding something unknown?

The only merit I think such wilful ignorance possesses is that it can allow for joyful discoveries on a planet Earth which otherwise has fewer and fewer mysteries to uncover

Fucking magnets, how do they work?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 12:14:35 pm »

That is indeed the only merit, which I couldn't care less about. It is not worth it. Science and acquisition of knowledge is an end in and of itself. Everything in exitence should be researched and catalogued to the best of our abilities.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:16:00 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 05:17:30 pm »

That is indeed the only merit, which I couldn't care les about. It is not worth it. Science and acquisition of knowledge is an end in and of itself. Everything in exitence should be researched and catalogued to the best of our abilities.
I agree, also, we’ve only explored like 5% of the ocean, so there’s that to uncover.

Opinion: the moons of Jupiter and Saturn should be studies more, at least the ones that contain liquids

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 02:50:48 pm »

I can't wait until we've got a UAV snooping around the ice of Europa

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 05:53:19 pm »

An unmanned submarine exploring under the ice would be amazing.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 01:58:46 am »

Yes to both
Similar deployments to Titan would be interesting too, there are hypotheses on how life could work if methane took the place of water, and Titan has liquid methane, so maybe we could figure out whether life could start in methane too

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 02:50:18 am »

The surface is probably not very interesting, especially if you're trying to find life.

A mission to Europa should maybe land in one of those canyons (I assume the ice is thinner there) and then drill down to the subsurface ocean (don't worry about sterility besides cleaning the drill and submarine somewhat before launch, the years in vacuum should kill absolutely anything). Analyze the conditions there then go looking for alien aquatic life. It would be a massive sensation if anything is found. It certainly isn't too deep because at some point, water just becomes ice from pressure so the ocean isn't thousands of kilometers deep. Then the submarine should somehow be recovered so it can radio back its findings (there's no way you will get a signal through kilometers of ice).

This is literally Apollo-tier and might not happen in the next 50 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:01 pm »

That would be so mental, I love it. Highly ambitious though

The surface is probably not very interesting, especially if you're trying to find life.

A mission to Europa should maybe land in one of those canyons (I assume the ice is thinner there) and then drill down to the subsurface ocean (don't worry about sterility besides cleaning the drill and submarine somewhat before launch, the years in vacuum should kill absolutely anything). Analyze the conditions there then go looking for alien aquatic life. It would be a massive sensation if anything is found. It certainly isn't too deep because at some point, water just becomes ice from pressure so the ocean isn't thousands of kilometers deep. Then the submarine should somehow be recovered so it can radio back its findings (there's no way you will get a signal through kilometers of ice).

This is literally Apollo-tier and might not happen in the next 50 years.
Fingers crossed, given the exponential rate of scientific research and application, we may not have to wait 50 years to reach Europa
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4