Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: How difficult to make soil behave like aquifer when it rains?  (Read 1670 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know aquifers can be turned on and off in the LNP, and Masterwork has a Tear of Armok stone that creates water... How difficult would it be to make certain minerals seep water like a slow aquifer during rainstorms?  I'm thinking all the ones that currently function as aquifer seepage materials - can aquifers be painted on all minerals touching air when it starts raining outside? 

I'm thinking this wouldn't apply to the the Underworld, but maybe it would too.  That would explain the big underground lakes and the mushroom trees...

If this is doable, watersheds and random ponds, flooding and various other watery mischief (including spreading blood/vomit around) would be a thing.  Streams regularly flooding their banks (like the Nile) and farms being regularly re-mudded seem to also be possible.

Is this doable?  Can DFHack do something like this?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile

I don't think that there is a support for it in DFHack, after if you write the plugin for it it might be doable, but you need to look deep into the "how to"-s of DFhack.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

TBH, especially if you had infrastructure to limit flooding (like drain channels) itd probably slow to a crawl.

That said, it sounds hella awesome and would maybe make a nice incentive for Dorf sewers!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

First idea can be sort of done*.

Specifically, to make given tile an aquifer and also start pumping out water right away, you need to set the water table flag to true on it's designation struct, and then set its block to have flags update_liquid, update_liquid twice and check_aquifer

Meanwhile, weather script provides example how to monitor for rain. Unfortunately, DF apparently stores weather in 5x5 table - I'm not sure how it corresponds to real gameplay map - though rivers certainly refill in deserts if you set all of them to rain - in fact, only 2nd column seems to correspond to whole map raining in one test?

Mystery of "how does rain function", difficulty is low, though not quite "newbie's first thing" level. Main difficulties would be interference with natural aquifers followed by checking whether given tile material supports an aquifer and is natural wall.

Second idea of streams flooding their banks...Can't be done with aquifer; you'd need streams to have water appear on top of them when filled - doable, as liquid shows, and about as complicated.

However, Rainfall flooding already does something like this, and might be more to your fancy (less issues with completely flat embarks getting no flooding and cliffs being a downpour of rain).

* Determination whether something is light or heavy aquifer depends on biome drainage ending in 7, which can be adjusted, but then you'll also turn heavy aquifers in the biome to light ones.