Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Secrets of Magic [7/7]  (Read 12094 times)

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
The Secrets of Magic [7/7]
« on: August 28, 2020, 11:21:07 pm »

Backstory
Almost six years ago, the gods began to gift humanity with magic. But, with magic being one of the most powerful forces in the universe, they did not do so lightly. Many of them were skeptical of what humans might do with such unlimited power. Wishing to provide a test, the gods told humankind that they would grant them a small piece of magic. If, in 50 years time, mankind had used these heavenly gifts to better themselves, the gods would bestow upon them more powerful magic.

The scribes of the world began study into this magic immediately. Entire campuses were built around the central study of magic. Newly trained researchers would opt in to experimental programs to simply get as much as a glimpse at the untapped powers of magic.

But magic was not without its pitfalls. As with any new technology, especially one so esoteric, the dangers of blindly diving into the unknown were very real.

Five years, three months, and twelve days after the gods gifted magic to humanity, a large flash of light came from the center of the Institution for the Advanced Study of Magical Forces. At first, it had seemed like business as usual, but it quickly devolved into something else. Within a matter of minutes, the entire complex mysteriously fell silent. The once-bustling center now lay completely still, and half-finished projects sitting near windows remained with no one nearby to work on them. Onlookers who constantly watched, hoping to finally see what magic was, had found themselves with nothing to look at.

Rumors spread as magical research ground to a halt in the city. Some thought they had finally found the solution to many of the nation's problems, and hid it from the public out of selfishness. Others thought they found something so horrifying they never wanted to return to magic. And still others thought that all of the magicians had unlocked such a great power to advance technology so significantly that they simply found no reason to return to such a basic society.

Our party does not have a single consensus as to what exactly happened, but they all see a reason to investigate and get to the bottom of this nonetheless. Will you enjoy what you find? Will you unlock the secrets of magic, for better or for worse? Or will your expedition, too, fall silent?
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sign-up Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:56:10 pm by Tymewalk »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Secrets of Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 11:29:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 06:07:31 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:23:13 am »

Name: Harangue
Description: Orange housecat with black stripes.
Why do you want to check out the research center?: To observe its contents for the glory of felidae.
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: Collar with a capsule of mint attached to it.
Other: Has seven lives remaining.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 01:49:29 pm »

Name: Nevermore
Description: A black raven.
Why do you want to check out the research center?: Shiny!
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: Magical chain wrapped on the left foot.
Other: More intelligent than the average bird. Magically enhanced to be so.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 01:51:50 pm »

Name: Cortana
Description: A girl who spent as much time as she could watching the research center, hoping that they would show what they discovered
Why do you want to check out the research center?: To find out what happened and hopefully continue the work that was stopped
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: a flashlight and a wrench
Other:

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 05:55:58 pm »

Name: Cortana
Description: A girl who spent as much time as she could watching the research center, hoping that they would show what they discovered
Why do you want to check out the research center?: To find out what happened and hopefully continue the work that was stopped
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: a flashlight and a wrench
Other:
Those work, you guys are in.
Name: Harangue
Description: Orange housecat with black stripes.
Why do you want to check out the research center?: To observe its contents for the glory of felidae.
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: Collar with a capsule of mint attached to it.
Other: Has seven lives remaining.
Name: Nevermore
Description: A black raven.
Why do you want to check out the research center?: Shiny!
Pick a couple of small items you'd like to take with you: Magical chain wrapped on the left foot.
Other: More intelligent than the average bird. Magically enhanced to be so.
Outside of things like human intelligence/speech, is there anything else different about your characters?

Other than that, you guys are good, but I will warn you some things may be a lot harder to do playing as those species, so if you don't want to deal with that you can change now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 06:35:40 pm »

Caw. Ca caol Cah.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 07:18:19 pm »

Mow.

That's s no on speech or intelligence. The seven lives are important though. I will also obviously be using my senses of smell and hearing and the ability to see in the dark.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:21:28 pm by Egan_BW »

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 10:45:16 pm »

Caw. Ca caol Cah.
Mow.

That's s no on speech or intelligence. The seven lives are important though. I will also obviously be using my senses of smell and hearing and the ability to see in the dark.
Got it, just wanted to make sure I had things straight.

Will update the OP and post the first turn soon. If anyone else wants to join after the game gets going feel free, I don't plan to close sign-ups until there's too many players.

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
Turn One
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 11:16:38 pm »

When the group first entered the building, it really seemed like there wasn't much of note. For a few minutes, it had seemed as if this was just a normal place, and that magic wasn't interesting at all.

Of course, this would turn out to be very untrue very quickly, as suddenly signs of damage became more evident. Footprints outlined in some sort of dirt clearly showed a scramble. Offices were left in complete disarray, as if everyone dropped what they were doing and left. The group tries to continue walking further, but they're soon stopped in their tracks, because straight ahead, the roof has collapsed. A few sharp pieces of some sort of construction material are sticking out of the rubble, which is currently blocking off the hallway. It looks very loose, but also somewhat heavy, and probably very painful to move if you're not careful about touching it thanks to those sharp bits. Behind it, something is lightly glowing a faint red, almost like a flare, but there's no hissing or warmth.

To the left is a large room, housing quite a few papers pinned up onto the wall, as well as a couple of items which can't clearly be made out from the hallway. It appears as if there's some sort of workbench in there, with a couple things left on top of it, but a workbench for what is another question.

To the right is a badly-damaged map, that doesn't seem too useful except for maybe getting your bearings in this building as a whole, seeing as how the important parts were ripped off hastily. A nice red "you are here" circle is sketched just below where the map is cut off. The hallway also branches off to the right, but the rubble seems to be blocking that as well, although less so.

Behind the group is where they came from, but that was already obvious.

On the floor near the wall lie a couple of discarded leather gloves and a single boot, clearly dropped or lost at some point.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »

Go to the room with the papers and workbench and read the papers using my flashlight

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 11:35:37 pm »

Well, if we can see somewhat past the rubble, a cat can easily squeeze past. Go on ahead and inspect the glowy red thing closer.
Also, are there any scents or distant sounds?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 12:08:39 am »

Promise the hobo a dollar if he clears out the rubble while I go investigate this left room.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 02:53:17 am »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7