Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No moss in cavern beneath mountain?  (Read 1798 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No moss in cavern beneath mountain?
« on: August 29, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »

I just reached the first cavern, hoping for moss to let my sheep graze, but nothing! Just muddy floors. Its in a mountain biome, can that be the cause?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No moss in cavern beneath mountain?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 03:58:18 pm »

"Muddy cavern" is a variant of caverns that's rarer than the normal kind. Nothing grows in muddy caverns, with the exception of Blood Thorn, that may grow in the third one despite it being muddy. Thus, the mountain biome at the surface shouldn't have anything to do with it. Unless you've played with the cavern water parameters in advanced world gen, you'd be very unlucky to get three muddy caverns (I believe it's about 10% chance for a cavern to be muddy with unchanged parameters).

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:24:03 am »

Crap.
Thanks.
I made some sand-floor-rooms, hoping moss will start growing there, but does this muddy cavern also prevents my other underground soil from growing moss?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:14:50 am »

No, it doesn't prevent growth, but it also doesn't release any spores, so you have to reveal another cavern.

I've seen muddy caverns actually having moss under the mud, but that has been after other caverns have been breached. Nothing but moss has been seen growing in them, though.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:14 am »

alright, thanks a lot!

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 06:55:46 pm »

I got muddy caverns on my first cavern layer, and after a fire breathing forgotten beast decided to barbecue all the elk birds, the burned ground started to grow moss normally (after I had breached other layers, which has moss, of course)
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!