Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Homunculi: barf and boars  (Read 13809 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Homunculi: barf and boars
« on: August 31, 2020, 05:22:26 pm »

This is a game where you play as a cat sized artificial creature in a world based on a dwarf fortress map. Your goal is to survive. you can alter your body by consuming the right materials and expending energy. This is a fairly casual game I don't intend to put a lot of effort into, but the world is intended to be quite dangerous for your kind, so be prepared for your homunuclus to die.

Spoiler: parts and materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Build a Bod (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:15:17 am by Ozarck »

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homunculi
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »

I think I will start as, for complete lack of creativity, a generic homonculus with binocular vision.

Should I keep a character sheet in a spoiler for this?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »

yah. a character sheet would be good. I suppose if enough people want it I can make a character sheet thread like i did with Omega.

generic materials are things like clay and flesh and such, so start wout wiht something like that maybe. Start with something like a copper core, stone (say, microcline) torso, horse meat legs, and maybe something like dog meat arms. That'd be pretty generic, I guess. But those are just suggestions. other materials might be more interesting.

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:44:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:41:06 pm »

Hmm. I intended to have earholes and mouth start out as the same as the head, since they are just holes in the head, but this works too, so let's run with it.

so, stats: first, copper core gives you +1 max energy
Stone torso gives 2 durability
gorilla arms each give 3 strength and 1 dexterity. they also give climbing skill and lose you swimming skill.
wood legs are low mobility, so you only get 1 mobility total, except if you are walking or crawling on your arms, in which case you will get a +1 to mobility, but that +1 will degrade over the course of actions. You will need to spend energy to use that +1 mobility.
wood legs do allow you to Take Root to absorb nutrients from the soil. it costs one turn and 2 energy to do so though, so it might not be worth it, as the regen rate is, well, you'd be rooted in place for a week at a time to regen energy. (might alter this later.)
crocodile skin head gives you ... mmm, no bonuses, really. Copper earholes give a slight Detect Metal aura. Copper mouth doesn't really give active bonuses, but maybe makes eating certain things easier. Crocodile eyes, naturally, allow you to see well underwater.

Value: common stone and trees are each value 1, copper is 2, alligator and saltwater crocs are value 3, but cave crocs are value 4, so pick one of those numbers and identify your parts accordingly, and gorilla is ... looks like it is value 1, which is a gross oversight on the game's part.

so, value would total up to 20 or 23, depending on whether you are going with cave croc or saltwater. So, not terribly valuable to start.

Thanks for being the test subject for the system. As you can see, I'm mostly feeling my way around in the dark here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:39:25 pm »

Core: Prepared Ant Brain
Parts
Head: Cat Meat
Eye: Native Gold
Mouth: Cat Meat
Torso: Cat Meat
Front-Left Lower Limb: Goblin Blood
Front-Right Lower Limb: Elf Blood
Back-Left Lower Limb: Dwarf Blood
Back-Right Lower Limb: Human Blood
Tail: Rope Reed Fabric

Stats
Mobility:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Value:
Energy:

(Removed 1 eye, 2 ears, 2 upper limbs, +8 points
Added 2 lower limbs, 1 tail, -8 points)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:21:36 am »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:08:46 am by Naturegirl1999 »

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:05:37 am »

((Ugh. I had a feeling wood wasn’t going to turn out great))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 12:02:53 pm »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:44:33 pm »

((Eh, I’ll make it work somehow. For the arms you said each so does that mean an individual gorilla arm provides the stats you listed?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 05:30:55 pm »

Everyone, please add a line for the durability stat to your sheet. I have updated the OP to include it below strength.

Also, if I overlook some trait or value that you think a material would give, please make a suggestion. I'm not trying to shortchange anyone on stats or stuff. I am fairly tired today, so I am lagging a bit as I type all this up.

Core: Prepared Ant Brain
Parts
Head: Cat Meat
Eye: Native Gold
Mouth: Cat Meat
Torso: Cat Meat
Front-Left Lower Limb: Goblin Blood
Front-Right Lower Limb: Elf Blood
Back-Left Lower Limb: Dwarf Blood
Back-Right Lower Limb: Human Blood
Tail: Rope Reed Fabric

Stats
Mobility:
Strength:
Dexterity:
Value:
Energy:

(Removed 1 eye, 2 ears, 2 upper limbs, +8 points
Added 2 lower limbs, 1 tail, -8 points)
native gold is 30 value,
ant has no value, so your core is valueless. This will make adding or swapping parts double the cost. Feel free to swap to something like damselfly or dragonfly (check the vermin page for pet values. as a side note, that page lists ants as not a food source. I don't recall if prepped ant brain is something you can get in vanilla DF) Finally, since your core is a food item, you will be more likely seen as prey to carnivores and sapients that eat meat. Every core does evoke a desire in living creatures so this isn't a direct malus, but you'll probably be encountering wild animals more than sapients, so other core materials might have weaknesses that are less obvious.

blood is value 1, as is cat meat, I believe (a gross oversight on the game dev's part).
rope reed is value 2.
so as stands, total value is ...
stats: blood gives 1 energy each, so +4 total, and you'll need it, as changing or repairing any body part with a 0 value core will cost double. other negatives may apply.
native gold eye grants See Ore ability. stronger at closer distances, but some detection over a dozen tiles or so.
hmm. all other stats are at 1, I think. Nothing particularly durable, strong, or mobile in there.
Blood does give you the ability 'contagion/contaminate' and the "hunted by vampires" trait. So, valueless as your core is, you still get hunted for your bits.

Point values fixed, character sheet should be ready now
chain isn't a material, but a tool constructed of a material.

shell, silk, and chert are value 1 as are badger, mole, armadillo, and fox, apparently. garnierite and milk quartz are 2, bone opal is value 10, creeping eye has pet value of 50.
total of ... 71 value (plus whatever material you replace your chain arms with).

stats. chert gives the same durability as superdino's stone torso. Hmm double it because I said torso would provide extra durability, so 4. I'll have Dino double his as well. garnierite also gives 1 durability. Creeping eye grants night vision, but -1 to concealment. It also grants the ability to generate energy from Evil at a higher rate than normal. For example, zombie flesh would give better return for you than for other players. Milk quartz and bone opal each grant 1 energy, and cave spider silk grants +1 dex. all other stats are currently at 1, pending your arm values.

values: raccoon, horse, dog, and clay 1, lead and green glass 2 each, bronze 5. remarkably, pitcheblende also has mat value of 1. Strange. so your total value is ... 19. Very low.
stats: pitcehblende gives durability of 3 each, as does lead. Pitcheblende gives the trait Heavy, and unfortunately, since these are your legs, your mobility is 0. horse meat gives strength of 1 each. Pitcheblende gives +1 energy each. unfortunately, lead gives -1 energy. green glass eyes give telescopic vision.

I feel like I finished writing your stuff up quickly. I wonder if I overlooked something. please let me know if you think I did.

((Ugh. I had a feeling wood wasn’t going to turn out great))
feel free to change to a different material, but don't worry too much, it's a fine material. I might make some adjustments as we go.
((Eh, I’ll make it work somehow. For the arms you said each so does that mean an individual gorilla arm provides the stats you listed?))

You should have 4 durability instead of what I said earlier, because the torso gives double durability. Also, yes, each individual arm provides the stat I mentioned.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »

Having four legs and a tail should probably provide some mobility advantages.
Can use Bluejay brain for the core.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 06:01:58 pm »

Check it now, I changed the arms, one is kenaf fiber and one is jute fiber

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 01:10:07 am »

Oh... I didn’t see anything related to durability listed on the character sheet template, so if it’s alright with you I will add that to mine.

Here it is
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:28:51 am by SuperDino85 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 04:30:45 am »

Can I swap the pitchblende for granite since mobility is important.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5