Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #26 Feedback  (Read 27891 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #26 Feedback
« on: September 02, 2020, 12:09:02 am »

The twenty-sixth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  DF Talk questions are welcome - we had a special guest this time, but questions have been coming in and we'll be sure to answer them in our next regular-format episode.  We used Zencastr this time as well, so there'll be a whole new audio adventure in terms of oddities and things.  Hopefully the voices are somewhat improved - we each had separate audio tracks this time, which should help in the long run.

Transcript:  We've been piling them on, so we're still back at episode 24!  Hopefully this will come together over time.

Credits/acknowledgements for this time:

Thanks to Brian Bucklew for coming on the show!  You can find Caves of Qud at their website.

You can follow Capntastic on Twitter and support Capntastic on Patreon.

Rainseeker has Measures of Joy, a gluten free bakery!  You can also find them on Facebook at Measuresofjoyglutenfree.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:41:48 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #26 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 04:52:16 pm »

I'm super glad we got Brian to join us on this, it's been a goal for a while.

Thanks to all of you folks, as well, we have a podcast people love and want to be on.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:59:12 pm »

Woah another one :O awesome
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 04:32:48 pm »

I recorded a few favorite quotes, but frankly the whole talk is so darn interesting you should just listen to it!

"You guys have those colorful adjectives in front of the items, and we. just. can't compete with that." 1:38 Tarn

"That's amazing! I can't believe we don't have entrail sprites!" 2:17 Brian

"The only verb that exists in most roguelikes is attack it or quaff.. Caves of Qud sort of came from that basis. Well, we thought, there's a lot of other interesting things you can do in this simulator we've made, like talk.. we would even do a sort of tourist mode, where we'd play down the combat even mode and the player would be neutral to most factions to allow people who don't really want to have as much combat can explore the rest of the game." Brian 5:00

"Yeah uh Hyenas are fascinating. Uh, the more you read about them the less PG it gets. I recommend people go look it up, as long as you're 18." Tarn 17:45

"I really like the idea that in the Dwarf Fortress ontology there is no difference between a lion and an aggressive cow wearing a mane." Brian 20:12

"We so want to get into the new names. . . this is something I feel that Qud has an advantage, Qud has names with different structures that can refer to things, where we've been stuck 18 years on Noun-verber type names. . . An example would be Boatmurdered." Tarn 21:15

"We are revamping the mutations! After two years, we're tired and wanted to do something fun.  . which was redoing the mutation balance. There is sort of a long-running imbalance between espers and chimeras, the sort of liner warriors and quadratic wizards thing. All of the physical mutations have these fairly intense drawbacks, they would take up physical slots while the mental mutations didn't." Brian 24:20

"And then we've got a whole new UI to do. Which I know, you all are in the middle of doing too. So we can share some pain there, right?. .  UI work is just the worst." Brian (referring to UI work on Qud)

"Yeah, I haven't found myself enjoying it. I didn't think I would, and then. . I didn't." Tarn 29:15 (lol)

"Fortunately, I can do Math." Tarn 30:33

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 10:17:02 am »

will the steam ui update come to this classic version too?
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 11:08:25 am »

will the steam ui update come to this classic version too?
This was basically asked in the lastest FotF. The UI layout will remain the same in both versions. Widgets are tied to the character grid, so single tile widgets should be able to use character tiles. Larger widgets are still up in the air, as Toady won't spend time on those until they're somewhat settled.
It's a bit of a guess on my part, but it seems the aim is for the Premium version using the character tile set to have the same UI as the Classic version, so there are "only" two UI variants.