Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: City State Challange question  (Read 1299 times)

Gamer47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
City State Challange question
« on: September 02, 2020, 10:08:26 am »

I got to thinking about starting a city state challenge game, but I have never done it before.
Would a few people please post pictures of their fortresses, or direct me to such a fort on mkv25.net ?

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City State Challange question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:55:45 am »

Do you mean city-state as in a country of only one city?

Or do you mean self-sufficient?

Nautilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:15:15 am »

He is talking about the city states gameplay challenge on the dwarf fortress wiki. Each of the 7 starter dwarves build their own fort in the embark. I have never tried it before but I imagine you would have to create burrows  to keep your cities from sharing resources. Or you could lock 6 city states in their fort at any given time to prevent dwarves from going between. I don't know how it would work with trade though, I guess you could build a Depot inside each fort and the traders would go to whichever was accessable at the time.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 05:19:32 pm »

Once the initial food / seeds get split up somehow, burrows should make it fairly straight forward.  A little flexibility at the start to unload the wagon and start the initial digs seems necessary.  Maybe also raise the embark point value a bit to account for 7 picks, anvils and axes.  With draw bridges, you could force caravans to particular trade depots.  I would either split migrant waves between the 7 areas, or assign them all to the burrow that last had a successful trade.  I don't use burrows as much as I could in general, but there's something to be said for just jumping in and figuring it out as you go.  Seems like a good challenge for forcing burrow knowledge upon oneself.