Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orbital Disobedience: A MoP Arms Race-y Game  (Read 1788 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orbital Disobedience: A MoP Arms Race-y Game
« on: September 04, 2020, 03:19:43 am »

GM Note: Team threads will be up once I wake up, posting this since it's done as a bit of hype and advertisement for itself. Feel free to declare yourself for one team or the other in the meantime! And feel free to discuss the game and ask questions for me to answer once I regain consciousness.

Also, team threads:
Malachian Security Force
The Syndicate
I lied about no discord this early, blame my players in other games filling up my channels with OD talk

MALACH POINT represents the pinnacle of current human progression. Malach Point is an orbital Superstation, a massive structure built in zero-g that is capable of housing and sustaining a population of a few million people very comfortably, with all the amenities of life planetside minus the ability to get a breath of air outside. While people can maintain their personal beliefs aboard the station, the massive population is largely focused on the singular goal of pushing humanity's reach past it's own system and to distant stars.

THE DEREGULATED ZONE is what people now call Earth. Repeated natural and man-made disasters over the course of centuries set the planet on a course of irreversible uninhabitability. As the best and brightest cut away from their terrestrial homes, taking the attention and funding of the powers-that-be with them, those left on Earth were forced to deal with increasingly rough circumstances largely on their own. The Deregulated Zone is made up of endlessly shifting states, alliances, militias, cybergangs, and anything else you could use to refer to a group of people. The planet itself is largely hot and dry, with the most comfortable areas around the poles. There are plenty of major population centers built up across the globe, but they're often choked with smog and just as uncomfortable as the rest of the planet - though at least one could find a VR Den to jack into for a little escape.

Malach Point was built as a joint effort by the Outer System Extraplanetary Alliance, the Martian Research Initiative, and the Solar Trade Union. It was originally meant to observe and study The Deregulated Zone over the course of decades while providing the Earthbound with better opportunities off-planet (so long as you won the lottery). Things went well for a couple generations, and while O.S.E.A. and The Initiative disagreed on how things on the station were run, the Solar Trade Union was an effective mediator - likely a result of having all the money in the relationship.

This changed with the dissolution of the Solar Trade Union, who were not only in charge of bankrolling operations in Malach Point, but overseeing and regulating the transport of goods and people to and from the station as well.  Scandals paired with just generally bad business decisions led to an unrecoverable loss of profits and eventual bankruptcy. Without a middleman to cool off the ambitions of OSEA and MRI they began to work to undermine one another. As one was largely responsible for the resources the station required, and the other required to maintain and improve Malach Point, conflict between these two, even if it wasn't violent, left the people of Malach Point to endure the worst of their disagreements. Things managed to stabilize for the average Malachian, but unrest had begun to foment.

The conflict between OSEA and MRI saw the sabotage of OSEA operations Earthside (as the resources were going toward Malach Point, they oversaw the resource extraction down there too). Industrial operations ground to a halt on a global level as there was not enough funding to rebuild a large portion of OSEA's operations. This ripple effect not only crippled industry, but the economy of the Deregulated Zone, if it could be called that, imploded as the fragile system now saw a large percentage of people unable to work and produce goods.

In response, OSEA set up a blockade around Deimos, the Martian moon MRI was centered around. The tension rose until someone opened fire. Some said it was an MRI defensive platform orbiting the moon, while others claim an OSEAN combat freighter was the guilty party. Regardless, OSEA's more experienced spacefarers and wildly numerous vessels clashed with the technological marvels of the MRI. It was a brief but brutal confrontation that saw both sides crippled. OSEA's fleet was sent limping back home with a small fraction of what they'd come with, and Deimos was bearing the brunt of orbital bombardment from wreckage and stray munitions. Both sides decided to call a ceasefire and finally come to negotiations on how to proceed.

Unfortunately, negotiations seemed to drag on and on, leaving the fates of Malach Point and The Deregulated Zone in limbo. This brings us to the penultimate chapter of our story.

The Syndicate is an extensive criminal network based in DRZ-Cascadia (NW United States) but with influence across the globe. With the vacuum left at the top of the ladder by the biggest players in the system, The Syndicate saw an opportunity to move in on operations in Malach Point and ultimately take over control of who gets to leave the planet first. It had become easy for The Syndicate to gain recruits in the aftermath of the disasters in the DRZ as well as Deimos. People were unhappy, and The Syndicate was offering them the opportunity to take control of their own fates.

Malachian Security Forces are largely responsible for what semblance of stability remains in Malach Point and, on some level, the security of planetside locations vital to Malach Point operations. The MSF might not necessarily enjoy waiting on the project's old benefactors to come to some sort of decision that'd affect the lives of millions on the station and billions planetside, and they were doing their best to ensure both citizens of Malach Point and the Earthbound didn't give in to baser desires and further worsen and complicate the situation.

The Syndicate and MSF were aware of one another, and knew they stood on opposite ends of the field. With people in the station and on the planet growing disillusioned, both sides knew they had to take the opportunity to ensure their will was followed through before the other ruined everything.

----------------

So a brief summary before the rules: While it isn't entirely clear, the setting is heavily influenced by sources such as Blade Runner, The Expanse, The Fifth Element, Shadowrun, Judge Dredd, and a small sprinkle of Spacestation 13. This is, as stated in the title, another arms-race-ish game where two sides (The Syndicate and Malachian Security Forces) will get increasingly frustrated as they fail to win as quickly as they'd like to. If you are unfamiliar with Arms Races, I'd suggest taking a peek at any number of previous ARs on the forum, particularly Intercontinental Arms Race, Iron Behemoths, and the still-active Chiaroscuro Arms Race, all of which had some sort of influence on this game.

Now to the chonky bits!

Spoiler: The World And You (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turns and Phases (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Revisions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Overt Station Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Victory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Preliminary Turns (click to show/hide)

Springer's MoP's Final Thoughts: Since I've been working on this on and off for a few days between a bunch of other stuff, it is possible that I missed vital information somewhere. While I don't expect it to be the case, consider this an "Early Access" release of Orbital Disobedience, just in case. I'll be awake eventually to fix whatever may need it and respond to nerd inquiries, but I'm fucking glad to finally just have the idea out of my brain. I feel myself physically relaxing. Maybe sleep will actually be sleep for the first time in two weeks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:50:36 am by Man of Paper »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Disobedience: A MoP Arms Race-y Game
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 08:11:52 am »

MoP stayed up to 4 AM and drank Tequila while writing this OP.

Why is it so neat and complete? Why?

That said, I wanna be a crimey boi this time.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 08:27:42 am »

I'll go MSF

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 12:39:22 pm »

Actually thinking I might go MSF. We'll see.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 03:39:37 pm »

dice
tell me
do i become
doomblade
or
taricus
dice say
i become taricus

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 05:44:52 pm »

I will certainly join The Syndicate to defend humanity from the genocidal tyrants of the MSF and certainly not to enrich myself as a criminal tyrant myself.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 07:10:39 pm »

Sign me up for the syndicate
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 07:16:16 pm »

Well you now have team threads to officially join a side. Huzzah!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 07:31:59 pm »

ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 08:16:28 pm »

Now that this exists I kind of do want it to have a Discord lmao

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »

Just make that your first design. Your enemies would be compelled to do it too lest they wind up as the dipshits without a Discord chat :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:27:35 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:58:53 pm »

That’s kind of a diabolical idea

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 10:24:24 pm »

Joined MSF, so PTW here
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 10:27:13 pm »

be gay do wildly unethical warlording on a dying shell of a planet  in hopes of suborning the spacelords

pledging for syndicate
Pages: [1] 2