Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Strategy  (Read 4779 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Design
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:26 am »

Blueshift favors violence. They go in, barrel past all in their way, and get what they want, as shown today. A shotgun fit's their style to a T, the only other thing would be a assault rifle or machine gun. The Boomstick adds to their terror-factor. Adding Armor to that emphasizes a close-quarters type of fighting. So that's answer 3. Armor is also good just about anywhere, and improves survival.

To 2. The Tartan Misfits. If wanted they could sabotage the lights, so there is an unlit area. If combined with another overt squad like the current Queen of Clubs, terror and effectiveness is increased further.

Goggles only work when it's dark. While the deregulated zones have that, shock, awe, and molotovs work against it. Enough shots and a bit of light, and someone gets lucky, dead fighter. If they have armor and are setting things alight for light, not so dead. And armor falls under Overt actions better than night-vision does. With covert, you don't want to be discovered, so armor would simply be a survival tool for when it all falls out from under them, while night-vision helps one sneak past others and taken them out more stealthily.

As is, my main complaint to the goggles is that they aren't Overt enough for me to consider such. Armor is immediately useful for Overt Assaults on enemies, and the lower casualty rate works in the Queen's favor for increasing her rep. And if a foe isn't willing to fight due to her rep, it's done it's job.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:39:08 am by TricMagic »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:24 am »

Arrogance...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFriRcIwqNU
2 captchas to confirm I’m not a robot, why is this happening now? It hasn’t happened before on mobile

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2020, 10:06:06 am »

Also, I'm all for the Pirate Bay.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2020, 02:06:43 pm »

(3) "Boomstick" 12ga Remington Tactical Shotgun: ConscriptFive, TricMagic, The Ensorceler
(3) "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor: ConscriptFive, NUKE9.13, Sentient Bowtie
(0) Freeze Grenade:
(1) Ground Bloom Flamethrower: The Ensorceler
(4) Kinetigel Body Armour: NUKE9.13, TricMagic, NG, Sentient Bowtie
Black lives matter.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2020, 02:16:08 pm »

(4) "Boomstick" 12ga Remington Tactical Shotgun: ConscriptFive, TricMagic, The Ensorceler, NG
(3) "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor: ConscriptFive, NUKE9.13, Sentient Bowtie
(0) Freeze Grenade:
(1) Ground Bloom Flamethrower: The Ensorceler
(4) Kinetigel Body Armour:[/b] NUKE9.13, TricMagic, NG, Sentient Bowtie
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:43:38 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2020, 02:25:33 pm »

Any reason for the picking the goggles NG? Boomstick is nice, and since it's been pointed out, we can't really do that one when we design covert stuff. Unlike the night vision.

To point, our current gun can barely be called such, being inaccurate and with low velocity. Proper armor could probably shrug it off. The Boomstick meanwhile solves that, and tactical shotguns are great for clearing close quarters. It should also be noted that being able to see your target is fine and all, but being able to hit/kill them is something overt operatives have to be able to do. And lets face it, the best range for the current gun is close enough it doesn't matter if you can see someone or not, so googles with weapon upgrades don't really help them. And once again, the night vision would work for when we do covert designs. As well, Blueshift is an Assault team.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:59:19 pm by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2020, 02:59:19 pm »

Any reason for the picking the goggles NG? Boomstick is nice, and since it's been pointed out, we can't really do that one when we design covert stuff. Unlike the night vision.
I will point out that I think the goggles are probably better done as an Overt action, although I will concede that they could be done as Covert.
Also, while the Boomstick is nice, I will again point out that we already have a shotgun which could be touched up with a revision, so designing a brand new one is somewhat inefficient.

E:
To point, our current gun can barely be called such, being inaccurate and with low velocity. Proper armor could probably shrug it off. The Boomstick meanwhile solves that, and tactical shotguns are great for clearing close quarters. It should also be noted that being able to see your target is fine and all, but being able to hit/kill them is something overt operatives have to be able to do. And lets face it, the best range for the current gun is close enough it doesn't matter if you can see someone or not, so googles with weapon upgrades don't really help them. And once again, the night vision would work for when we do covert designs. As well, Blueshift is an Assault team.
Thank you for articulating your argument.
I agree that the current shotgun is described as being lacklustre. It could definitely use an upgrade. I'm just saying that a revision would get it up to par- not as good as a design, but it also wouldn't cost us a design.
Also, the turn literally demonstrated several cases in which Overt operatives did not need to kill their targets. Being able to sneak around in the dark would be helpful to an Overt team... though admittedly Blueshift is perhaps not best suited for that sort of thing. Hmm. Well, we will probably be deploying more squads pretty soon into the game proper, so it could still be useful.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:09:53 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2020, 03:04:52 pm »

I would rather effective than action efficient. How do you top up mediocrity?

A note the base shotgun already has a flashlight too. So NV not as useful.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:32 pm »

I would rather effective than action efficient. How do you top up mediocrity?
I'm certain we could revise the shotgun to have better accuracy or velocity. Both, if we were feeling daring.

Yeaaah... here's the thing about flashlights. The enemy can see them as well.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2020, 03:17:41 pm »

thermal imaging also allows us to see through smoke and the like, which could be paired with a grenade or something for free cover during firefights
Black lives matter.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2020, 03:18:55 pm »

Generally, the enemy is going to know Blueshift is there due to the ink, otherwise why bother using it? With armor and a good boomstick arrayed against you, why fight. You're just going to lose without managing anything and end up dead.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2020, 03:48:35 pm »

Generally, the enemy is going to know Blueshift is there due to the ink, otherwise why bother using it? With armor and a good boomstick arrayed against you, why fight. You're just going to lose without managing anything and end up dead.
Okay, so, picture this: Blueshift rolls up on an enemy fortified position, flash their tats. Enemy opens fire, Blueshift returns fire, etc etc. Meanwhile, a few squaddies sneak around the back using their goggles, and pincer the enemy, or capture their leader, or whatever. Blueshift use violence freely, but that doesn't mean they are brainless idiots who refuse to use any other stratagem.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 04:39:01 pm »

Shotguns keep missing or failing to injure the armor of an enemy, enemy keeps hitting, main force is annihilated. Not good for rep.

Not saying Night Vision isn't good. Which is Why such arguments simply do not Work. We can do Night Vision during the Covert design phase. Not so a proper gun that is both intimidating and deadly.

I do not believe Night Vision to fall under Overt gear. It is, as your example pointed out, more suited to espionage and sneak attacks and pincer movements. Blueshift specializes in Assault, so they can utilize that. But this is an Overt Phase, and I believe NV to fall under Covert more often than Overt.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »

bro it literally isn't that deep and you should stop trying to compete against people on your own team
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7