Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Strategy  (Read 4634 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Design
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2020, 04:44:32 pm »

I do not want night visor, I want Boomstick. I'm even willing to drop my vote on the armor if it comes to that, though all that would do is tie it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2020, 04:53:30 pm »

It can be possible to do an assault at night, also, it’s heat vision, not just night vision, meaning that since walls don’t emit heat, we could figure out how many are in a room without needing to be inside

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2020, 04:56:47 pm »

(4) "Boomstick" 12ga Remington Tactical Shotgun: ConscriptFive, TricMagic, The Ensorceler, NG
(4) "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor: ConscriptFive, NUKE9.13, Sentient Bowtie, Rockeater
(0) Freeze Grenade:
(1) Ground Bloom Flamethrower: The Ensorceler
(5) Kinetigel Body Armour: NUKE9.13, TricMagic, NG, Sentient Bowtie, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2020, 11:29:58 pm »

(4) "Boomstick" 12ga Remington Tactical Shotgun: ConscriptFive, TricMagic, The Ensorceler, NG
(4) "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor: ConscriptFive, NUKE9.13, Sentient Bowtie, Rockeater
(0) Freeze Grenade:
(0) Ground Bloom Flamethrower:
(6) Kinetigel Body Armour: NUKE9.13, TricMagic, NG, Sentient Bowtie, Rockeater, The Ensorceler

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / A Space Station Can't Contain This
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2020, 08:07:16 pm »

(3) "Boomstick" 12ga Remington Tactical Shotgun: TricMagic, The Ensorceler, NG
(0) Freeze Grenade:
(0) Ground Bloom Flamethrower:
(6) Kinetigel Body Armour: NUKE9.13, TricMagic, NG, Sentient Bowtie, Rockeater, The Ensorceler

(2) Name DRZ "The Pirate Bay:" ConscriptFive, TricMagic

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

BS-01 Automatic Shotgun: A 12-gauge shotgun that uses a helical tube magazine to store up to sixteen shells at a time.
Accuracy is abysmal and shot velocity is low, but it can throw up a cloud of shot in close range thanks to the automatic firing mechanism.
Comes with a flashlight attached to a side rail. 2 Solid

Yes, let's do the Night vision. Not like it is Covert or anything and the Boomstick never going to be made in a covert turn. Can I ask what Covert Designs you have ready that need the extra design slot?

Also, Night Vision and Flashlights do not mix. And the Visor may have Solid parts. Compared to replacing the chunk of scrap with a proper Boomstick. Quantity may hit, but it ain't gonna reload itself. Or hit anything farther or damage the sufficiently armored.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 11:02:52 am »

BS-01 Automatic Shotgun: A 12-gauge shotgun that uses a helical tube magazine to store up to sixteen shells at a time.
Accuracy is abysmal and shot velocity is low, but it can throw up a cloud of shot in close range thanks to the automatic firing mechanism.
Comes with a flashlight attached to a side rail. 2 Solid

Yes, let's do the Night vision. Not like it is Covert or anything and the Boomstick never going to be made in a covert turn. Can I ask what Covert Designs you have ready that need the extra design slot?

Also, Night Vision and Flashlights do not mix. And the Visor may have Solid parts. Compared to replacing the chunk of scrap with a proper Boomstick. Quantity may hit, but it ain't gonna reload itself. Or hit anything farther or damage the sufficiently armored.
Okay, so:
-You're repeating yourself (with some arguments). You don't need to repeat yourself, unless for some reason people missed your arguments before.
-"Night Vision and Flashlights do not mix." So you're saying that since we already have a way of seeing in the dark, we shouldn't make a better way of doing so? Yet at the exact same time you are saying we should upgrade our shotgun.
-"Quantity may hit, but it ain't gonna reload itself." My dude, it's literally in the name. You pasted it into the start of your post. It's an automatic shotgun. It will reload itself just as well as the Boomstick.
-Nobody (to my knowledge) is arguing that the shotgun we have is a good shotgun. I have pretty clearly said that I would be in favour of a revision to improve it. You're arguing against a strawman by pointing out all its flaws, as if we can't see them.
-"And the Visor may have Solid parts." it's written so as to use Liquid. That's what the whole cryo fluid thing is about.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 12:09:10 pm »

I can't help but repeat myself, as I've made these arguments. But I have nothing else to say, but to try and change the outcome. As is, I Do Not Trust Revisions for something so important as our main weapon. I've know dice to screw with things before. And once more, Night Vision is more Covert, that's the only argument I have to make against it. It's not bad in any way, it's just that our weapon is an Overt Design Phase thing, and Night Vision fits a Covert Design Phase.

Also, auto-fire means it will expend it's shells in succession, doesn't it? At which point you have to reload. However if that much fire doesn't down a foe, there is something wrong with the situation. And nothing you do is going to change it. If an enemy has good armor, that gun isn't going to pierce it. So when you need to reload, you are already dead do to failing to take them out and they having something that can kill you. The armor we're making helps that. Doesn't change the fact that if your gun can't kill someone in armor you are at a stalemate.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 10:21:01 pm »

bro it literally isn't that deep and you should stop trying to compete against people on your own team
Black lives matter.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2020, 08:14:30 am »

bro it literally isn't that deep and you should stop trying to compete against people on your own team
That might help if we could do it next turn, but if this is a Overt Turn, wouldn't the next be covert? I don't trust our starting gun or a revision to fix it.(I'd use stronger words for IT, but I don't say those. It is not something I'd trust to keep me alive.) And starting from such a low baseline will likely mean there is a limit on how good a revision can make it. And let's face it, I believe such an action is merely a band-aid and it's going to be cycled out for something else entirely in the future, so it's a wasted revision in that sense.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:33:42 pm by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:46 am »

That might help if we could do it next turn, but if this is a Overt Turn, wouldn't the next be covert? I don't trust our starting gun or a revision to fix it.(I'd use stronger words for IT, but I don't say those. It is not something I'd trust to keep me alive.) And starting from such a low baseline will likely mean there is a limit on how good a revision can make it. And let's face it, I believe such an action is merely a band-aid and it's going to be cycled out for something else entirely in the future, so it's a wasted revision in that sense.
Tric... have you read the core thread OP? Admittedly, there's a lot in there, but a key section you seem to have missed is the following:
Spoiler: Preliminary Turns (click to show/hide)
So, yes, the next turn will be Covert. And the fourth turn will be a turn where we can do whatever we want. All subsequent turns will be half Overt, half Covert. There will be no (consequential) PvP combat until Prelim Turn 4 at the earliest- so if we really fuck up the shotgun revision, we have turn 4 to fix it, and it won't (seriously) impact the game until then.
As for it being a band-aid revision- if we revise the shotgun to a decent level, we would indeed not want to design a shotgun to replace it for a while. Fortunately, there are weapons that are not shotguns, and therefore are not incompatible with an existing shotgun. You have previously indicated that you think Blueshift works better with shotguns, but to say that they would never benefit from a rifle or SMG or whathaveyou is foolish. 
Long Live United Forenia!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2020, 01:36:14 pm »

Congratulations, you have both failed to quote yourself and completely ignored what I've said for a second time in a row. Here it is, plainly.

This is a forum game, that we are all playing for fun in our free time. It has no actual bearing on reality, and while it is intended to be competitive, whether or not we win doesn't matter as long as everyone involved enjoys themselves. You are getting unnecessarily worked up over a small part of this game for fun and you're kind of bringing down everyone else's enjoyment in the process (or at least my own, I cannot really speak for anyone else here). Stop getting so worked up over a forum game, stop  treating your teammates like they're just more competition to overcome, and just have fun, man.
Black lives matter.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2020, 02:33:20 pm »

Bit hard to have an argument if fun is the counterpoint SB.. I don't like the idea of losing, no one does.

sighs. It's not like it hasn't been pointed out my arguments don't work, but they're what I have. Boomstick is fun, it's a good design, and I'd like to have it. Since that doesn't work, I point out why night vision can be done later in a Covert Phase. And if that doesn't work, I can point out how our current gun sucks and I don't trust a revision to make anything near as good as a full design. And then I end up circling to try and get the Fun Boomstick. It doesn't work, so I try again. And I fail again. Am I supposed to give up before I even try, maybe. But then there is no fun to be had, I'm an argumentative guy. And giving up before you even try just doesn't seem right to me, even if I end up failing. At least I try. shrug.

Such is life.

Reading Nuke's, didn't read that part. Still want a Boomstick simply to see it said, This is my Boomstick. Fun,

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Revision
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2020, 11:52:25 pm »

Prelim 2: Overt Design Phase

Design: Kinetigel Body Armour
Difficulty: Hard
Result: (5+5)-1=9, Above Average

Kinetigel was a trademarked product of UpArmor Industries, a company with widespread influence within the system, but the product was abandoned after the dangerous side effects of producing the necessary materials came to light.

Luckily, the DRZ is called the DRZ for a reason.

UpArmor regularly offloads their "retired" products on Earth through a deep-rooted network of smugglers, and for the right price the Syndicate was able to "discover" the means of reproducing this impact-resistant gel on-planet. The dense chemical cocktail is stored in rounded rectangular sacs, not unlike those used in an I.V., that can be pushed into pouches on the Body Armor. The "Body Armor" itself is clothing, typically a tee shirt and pants, made of a slash-resistant polymer thread with external pockets meant to house the Kinetigel sacs. The pockets are secured with customized magnetic clasps. The clothing is a little lumpy and makes it apparent that KBA is in use, but it is still slim enough to be worn under another layer of clothing or, when available, body armor.

Kinetigel Body Armor is capable of reliably stopping lighter sidearms anywhere but point blank, and the gel is dense enough to provide a small level of ablative protection against energy weaponry. The armor loses effectiveness over time as sections are ruptured or blown out, but the Kinetigel sacs can be easily replaced in the field.

Kinetigel Body Armor costs 2 Liquid to equip to a squad. This will automatically include some replacement sacs.

Design: "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor
Difficulty: Normal
Result: 2+2=4, Poor

The Crying Eyes is more a helmet assembly than anything else. A cryofluid cell is installed in the rear of the helmet at the base of the skull. A tube runs up the centerline of the helmet, through a small pump at the top, and finally to the visor itself that hangs over the wearer's eyes. The assembly is awkward and vulnerable, but it gets the job done. The Crying Eyes has substandard sensitivity and clarity in both the thermal and light-amp modes, but the exposed parts allow for quick on-the-fly replacement that at least offsets how easy they are to fuck up.

The "Crying Eyes" Cryo-cooled Thermal Imaging Visor costs 2 Liquid and 1 Solid to produce.

----------------

Now it's time for your Two Revisions! This phase you will be focusing on Overt equipment again, but feel free to utilize any of the equipment you have - not just what you made this turn! You can also choose to revise your squads and their traits as well, though remember that they will need to qualify in some way as Overt proposals. Remember to continue discussing the name for your newly-acquired DRZ too.

Spoiler: The Deregulated Zone (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Malach Point (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Squads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources & Loadouts (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Disobedience: Syndicate Thread / Prelim Turn 2 Revision
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2020, 09:25:44 am »

Custom-Printed Air Rifle

A printed rifle that uses high-pressure gas to fire it's shots. Not much to say about it, it has good range and uses tipped rounds for good penetration at range. Decent accuracy too thanks to the rifling. Not suited to being concealed, but a decent option at range.

Feel free to write your own version. I think a shotgun revision is a waste of a revision if we are going to be making the Boomstick in another turn's design phase. Low start means mediocre improvements under difficulty modifiers. Fixing all the problems is more hassle that it's worth?

For CE, I'd recommend improving the sensitivity. As the parts can be replaced quickly when they break that part isn't a dealbreaker.

Also, didn't we propose Sealand?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7