Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Abandoned] Seltsame Insel: Recruiting Thread  (Read 2470 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
[Abandoned] Seltsame Insel: Recruiting Thread
« on: September 05, 2020, 12:13:58 am »

SELTSAME INSEL
Here we go again, boys.

((I return from deployment. That sucked, but now, thanks to a new book I read during said deployment, I have a much better understanding and familiarity with D-Day. It gave me a lot of ideas of tweaks I could make for the next iteration of this timeless classic that everyone will remember definitely isn't a ripoff of Grunts. There will still be some historical inaccuracies, mostly in the ships and possibly the air, but I care little for what ships sunk when. Anywho, enjoy the bloodbath that may or may not ensue. I will be starting this tomorrow after I process any and all submissions and in any case, no later than 1000 (in a little under 9 hours at time of writing this up.

Don't get attached to your first character. Or any character in the opening bunch. As they will most likely die, some I hope before even turn 1, like the first time I ran this.))

The Year is 1947. The Nazis and supporting members of German High Command have evacuated from Germany in the spring of 1943. Their new residence, the island of Seltsame Insel is a heavily fortified island that exists just off the coast of South America. American, British, Russian, and now German forces have been collaborating to perform an invasion of the island to neutralize the evil that is the Nazi party of Seltsame Insel.
   The field Marshalls in charge of the invasion are Marshalls Eisenhower, Zhukov, and Rommel (who was left behind during the evacuation due to being in Africa, not that he minded much). They began bombing areas inland of the potential landing spots across the island, taking trains and bridges down with relative ease and destroying above ground factories. A massive effort of making ships for the landing was being undergone by the American, German, and Russian forces due to their extreme industrial might.
   The landing location was chosen because of its distance from all the invader countries. The southern side of the island was at a shallow slope, with cliffs and bluffs at the far side, making it undesirable for mechanized units. In the direct middle is a rocky outcropping nicknamed "Point of Despair", which had pill boxes and other strongpoints overlooking both sides of the beaches. At the extreme ends of the beaches on either side, the bluffs give way to rolling dunes and hills, but the beaches further down are extremely undesirable for the landing crafts. The beachhead is reinforced with belgian gates, hedgehogs, and giant wooden stakes for spearing the bottoms of ships. Spread throughout the beaches are teller mines, some of which are strapped to the obstacles. Up on the cliffs are several artillery emplacements in casemates that are several feet thick housing the naval defense cannons and the 155mm howitzers that would be used to shell the beaches. In several places were the dreaded Pak 37s. Dotting the cliffs were pillboxes, tobruks (smaller pillboxes that were designed to have a machine gun/mortar/tank turret placed upon the top for use in field suppression (google them, they're pretty cool)), and nests.
   The landings are to be conducted today, June 6th, 1947 at approximately 0700, following a several hour aerial bombardment and a two hour shelling by the battleships USS Texas, USS New Mexico, KMS Bismarck, KMS Tirpitz, HMS Duke of York, HMS King George V, with complements from various destroyers, cruisers, and lighter ships, and a 30 minute rocket strike from shipboard rocket launchers aboard some of the lighter transport ships.
   It is now D-Day minus 5 minutes. Aboard every single landing craft, unit leaders give pep talks to their units whilst their men pray, shiver, vomit, mutter, look around nervously or just stare ahead waiting for their doom. One message was unanimous; Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was the overall orchestrator of the operation told the men at the last practice "Look at the man on your left. Now, your right. After this operation you will never see them again." some would take this as a sign that this would be the hardest fought battle of history, while others thought nothing of it, and still more though to themselves Poor, unlucky, dead bastards. Now, you hope that you are the one of the three of you from practice who will survive.
   The engines start. The battle... starts... NOW!

PRE-TURN 0
AKA: Character Generation

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment Explanation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AMERICA (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Britain (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Soviet Union (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Republic of Germany (click to show/hide)

Current Enlisted Personnel:

Deceased Personnel:

Spoiler: Burt Goldstine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jason Cards (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jaques Tremblay (click to show/hide)

Personnel on Leave:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:19:44 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seltsame Insel: Here We Go Again
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:51:52 am »

Name: Burt Goldstine
State Enlisted From: Kansas
Background: Wasn't old enough to fight Nazis the first time, but he is now and he's ready to kill as many as possible.
Inventory: Springfield 1903, Colt 1911, Smoke grenade, knife, helmet, entrenching tool (Does an entrenching tool count as special?)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Seltsame Insel: Here We Go Again: 30 mins before start (1/999)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:35:12 am »

Does an entrenching tool count as special?

I'll say it doesn't. If you want to keep it as extra equipment, be my guest. If you want anything else feel free to ask. You'll just have it the next turn after you ask for it, since the game's already going, now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:11:25 am by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Seltsame Insel: Recruiting Thread [1/infinite]
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:31:18 am »

Name: Jason Cards
Enlisted From: Australia
Background: Nah.
Inventory:
-Martini Henry
-Owen Gun (folding stock)
-Smoke grenade
-Combat knife
-Entrenching tool
-Helmet
-Radio
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:35:29 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:34:25 am »

Name: Jason Cards
Enlisted From: Australia
Background: Nah.
Inventory:
-Martini Henry
-[Owen Gun if permitted as a secondary, Webley Revolver otherwise]
-Smoke grenade
-Combat knife
-Entrenching tool
-Helmet
-Radio

If you use the folding stock version, then by all means, you can have the Owen Gun. The radio is going to allow you to call artillery strikes, that's basically it's only use for now. And with that, you'll be in the next turn, same craft as Zultan.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:35:10 am »

Great :D

I will note that I intend to get ahold of one of those elephant guns. But I understand that that's not a thing for someone from the Commonwealth to start with. :p
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:39:31 am by Glass »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 12:15:00 pm »

I will note that I intend to get ahold of one of those elephant guns. But I understand that that's not a thing for someone from the Commonwealth to start with. :p

The Martini Henry?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 12:16:28 pm »

The Martini Henry?
No, I have the Martini. I mean the Boys Antitank Rifle.

Though it occurs to me that when I look it up, it says it was a British gun. You have it under the America tab. Hmn.

If I can have that, I'd like to switch out the Martini for it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:18:05 pm by Glass »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 12:18:26 pm »

The Martini Henry?
No, I have the Martini. I mean the Boys Antitank Rifle.

Yeah. Might be more handy once you get up the cliffs.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 12:47:46 pm »

Name: Jaques Tremblay
State Enlisted From: Quebec, Canada
Background: Humble farmer
Inventory: Lee-Enfield no.4 Mk1, Webley revolver, Mills bomb, Pattern 1907 bayonet, Brodie helmet, Lacrosse stick
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:04:42 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 12:48:34 pm »

Name: Jaques Tremblay
State Enlisted From: Quebec, Canada
Background: Humble farmer
Inventory: Lee-Enfield no.4 Mk1, Mills bomb, Pattern 1907 bayonet, Brodie helmet, Lacrosse stick

No sidearm?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

Can I take an extra grenade or two instead? Throwin grenades is what the lacrosse stick is for.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 01:01:42 pm »

I should have mentioned before that grenades are basically unlimited to a degree. Just don't spam grenades.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »

Alright, then I'll take a webley.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 01:07:16 pm »

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2