Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [IC] Saint Mecha X  (Read 4806 times)

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
[IC] Saint Mecha X
« on: September 05, 2020, 09:36:08 am »

OOC

"You are Saint Mecha X." Sensei Shirou finished his speech.

It was certainly an inspiring pep talk, but it was hardly enough for the newly christened Saint Mecha X. They all had some level of experience with mecha, but the mecha they knew were tools. Most of them hadn't even been inside the combat mecha Sensei had given them. Yuta and Lee had arrived a month prior, so they had some time to fit a bit of practice in, but Hiro had only made it to Sanctum Lighthouse mere hours before Sensei raised the alarm.

The Lighthouse's computers had detected an Enemy attack near Theophilus, one of the smaller villages towards the bottom of the mountain. It looked like it would be a small attack, but it was only the opening salvo. Now that the Enemy had begun its siege, they all knew the attacks would come regularly. Once a week, that's what Saint Mecha had to contend with. A relentless foe that tried their strength every week, growing stronger with each attempt.

That fight was now the duty of Saint Mecha X. A duty they had all signed up for, but one that none of them truly knew if they were prepared for.

Week 0 - Theophilus Battle
Layout
Enemy Types:
Basic Enemy

Wave 1
Detected Units: Basic Enemy x13
Detected Nodes: 1, 2, 3

A new type of enemy approached, but one very different from those of the past. While the Enemy of Saint Mecha had built strangely shaped mecha with specific purpose in mind, the Enemy of Saint Mecha X had opted to mimic the adaptability of human mecha. The incomprehensible gems that seemed to control Enemy mecha were mounted in the center of the body, giving them an eerie, cyclops-like eye.

The Enemy was approaching across three bridges, its new units charging forward in a faceless horde across the three bridges. Their bright red claws were outstretched to tear into any human mecha foolish enough to stand in their way. They were now halfway across the bridges, the invisible line in the sand that meant the time for battle had truly come. All that remained was for the vanguard of humanity to meet them in that battle.

Sensei Shirou was listening in from the Lighthouse, ready to offer advice or encouragement to his charges, but he couldn't offer them the ability to win. To find that, they would have to reach within. And they would have to do it quickly, before the Enemy made it across and began wreaking havoc on the innocent village beyond.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:59:15 am by Takosher »
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Saint Mecha X
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 11:28:00 am »

Yuta's scowls were unseen to pretty much everyone except himself, through combination of distance and the canopy covering him in the mech. No one would be surprised that he was making these expressions, as they formed his default response to anything that was not unambiguously good for him. And few things were these days.

He stood ready, a decent distance from the edge of bridge 3. But he wasn't planning to engage those on bridge 3 of course. He was gonna use his grappling hook for all he could. Sensei Shirou had told him he'd get a reach of 160 feet out of it, and that the line could hold his own body weight. He'd tested the latter in the mines, and yeah it could hold him up no problem. Good. But Yuta had never really used the full length of reinforced cable before. Maybe there'd be problems? Ah hell, he was sure there were probably some, but he couldn't think of any.

"I'm getting that one," Yuta pointed across to bridge 1 at one of the enemy "Stay out of my damn way."

Raising his mech's arm, Yuta put the sights on the enemy he wanted, and pulled the trigger immediately. The arm lurched in response, launching a hefty metallic impactor arcing across the gap between the bridges, straight toward the position Yuta had aimed. The position where one of the enemies had been a few seconds before. The impactor scraped harmlessly across the bridge and hung down across the other side.

"Shit!" Yuta began the process of reeling the line in. Not too long when it was unencumbered, but still precious time being wasted. How stupid was that, couldn't the engineer people have made this thing shoot faster?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:33:01 am by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 11:47:56 am »

Hiro yawns and jumps his way over to Bridge 2, standing in a ready position, sword in hand.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 12:09:42 pm »

Lee gave a half-awake response while his turret swung into position.

"Sounds good to me. Just don't get that thing too beat up. I'll have to fix it later."

Lee had set up on the human side of Bridge 2, squatting down in a position that allows him to fire at multiple bridges more-or-less effectively. Unlike his more-mobile more melee comrades he clearly intended to camp here and take out his enemies before they got a chance to sink their claws into him. To that effect his cannon roared to life in its own opening volley, his mecha taking the recoil of the shot surprisingly well despite its small size. A low-angle shot found itself hurdling toward the closes enemy on bridge 2.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »

Finding himself joined at Bridge 2 by another teammate, Hiro offers a polite mecha-fistbump.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »

Finding himself joined at Bridge 2 by another teammate, Hiro offers a polite mecha-fistbump.

Zaqiel's hand clasps into a fists and accepts the offer. Gently. Like it was trying to avoid so much as scratching the paint.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 01:58:28 pm »

"Haha, this'll be easy!" Kaji cackles, apparently unconcerned with jinxes. "Come get some, you mindless fools!"

With that, he takes up position at the human edge of Bridge 3, and fires his Sun Mortar where he thinks the mechas there will be when it strikes the ground.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 10:30:41 pm »

Sensei's speech was pretty nice. He'd obviously tried to make something inspiring, but as it finished, Tsukiko didn't find herself feeling very inspired. Mostly just anxious. Very anxious. There's no way any of them were ready for this, and especially not her. They barely had any time to even train with their mechs. Just the bare minimum basics. What was she even doing here? Did she really think--

Tsukiko takes a deep breath that doesn't really do anything to calm her nerves and spurs Our Lady of Sorrows into motion, positioning herself at the center of the first bridge, close to the human side.

"Covering this bridge too," she says, putting up her mecha's shield and assuming a defensive stance. She wishes the shield was bigger. As it stands it didn't make her feel exceptionally well-protected. "Yuta, make sure not to hit me with that hook, yeah?"
Black lives matter.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 08:04:40 am »

Yuta got a stroke of luck to make up for his miss, the Enemy he had originally been aiming at grabbed the cable and was subsequently pulled towards the edge of the bridge by its retraction. However, it didn't take long for the other nearby Enemy units to take notice and also grab the cable. Their combined might resulted in Yuta being lifted into the air. It seemed he would be successfully grappling to the higher bridge after all.

Lee's shot smashed through its target's armor with surprising ease, punching straight into the power core. The core overloaded almost instantly and caused the Enemy mecha to explode violently. Two of its companions were caught by the explosion. When the dust cleared there were three hulking wrecks on the ground and the sole remaining Enemy on Bridge 2 was beating a hasty retreat back to the Enemy side of the bridge.

Kaji's inexperience (and perhaps his overconfidence as well) caused him to make a catastrophic mistake. The sun mortar's upward path crossed right through Yuta's grapple and incinerated a chunk of cable, which sent the St. Barbara plummeting back to Bridge 3. Luckily, his aim was still passable, and the glowing orb crashed to the ground in a spectacular explosion that obliterated two Enemy mecha, although three more still remained and were rapidly closing in on the Gobnait's Flock and St. Barbara.

Code: (Major damage to the St. Barbara's Rapid Deploy Winch Impactor) [Select]
Snapped Cable (1AP) - The cable has been cut in half and will need to be repaired before the attachment functions again
Suddenly free of their burden, the Enemy units on Bridge 1 resumed their charge towards the Our Lady of Sorrows.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 08:28:06 am »

"Ya think I'm gonna hit you? Who do you think—" Yuta yelped as his mech jerked forward, the enemy reeling him in like a hooked fish, up towards the bridge. Okay okay, he could do this, he needed to avoid the scramble, the close in fight. Yuta himself wouldn't have any trouble with fisticuffs with another human, but even he wasn't so stupid as to think that fighting so many enemies at once was a stellar plan. And of course, his mech wasn't made for that either. So Yuta prepared himself to grip onto the edge of the bridge as he got up, both arms and legs, to try to wrench the cable from these foes before he was beaten to a pulp.

The plan, whether good or not, never came close to fruition. A blazing something passed before Yuta's mech, leaving him blinking, and suddenly, falling. He landed with a scraping crash, head slamming against the thin padding in the seat of the mech. Yuta and his vehicle stumbled to their feet, looking down at cable rapidly snaking into the arm. Wait a minute. . . why was it whipping around like that? Oh no. "Crap. Stop stop stop. . ." Yuta muttered, letting go of the retraction button he'd still been holding onto. He couldn't let the cable be coiled fully into the system without it's impactor, or it might not come out again. The cable ceased to retract though, leaving him with a couple feet of singed heavy duty cable sticking out the end of his arm.

"What the hell, Kaji!? I told you all not to get in my way!" What a moron, Yuta thought furiously. Definitely no way that he himself had been the moron in this situation. Still growling and grumbling, Yuta began retreating from the action. He needed a moment to figure things out if he was gonna be useful. With that in mind, he set the winch in locked position, and began swinging his arm around, hoping perhaps that the speed would be sufficient to wield his arm as a make shift whip or flail.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 11:51:55 am »

"....So these things explode when you kill 'em huh? You guys with close weapons might wanna be careful about that."

Vaguely surprised by his supposedly mindless, lifeless, fearless enemy showing a self-preservation instinct, Lee mercilessly aims his next shot towards the vulnerable back of the running enemy and lets loose a shell at the presumably thinly armored rear.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 01:49:01 pm »

Hiro blinked a few times, slowly, with a confused look toward the empty Bridge 2. Weren't there supposed to be enemies in front of him? Maybe he had the wrong bridge. It wouldn't be the first time. Offering his newfound brocomrade a departing fistbump, he jumps up to the human end of Bridge 1 and prepares to defend the Our Lady of the Sorrows.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 02:11:20 pm »

Hiro blinked a few times, slowly, with a confused look toward the empty Bridge 2. Weren't there supposed to be enemies in front of him? Maybe he had the wrong bridge. It wouldn't be the first time. Offering his newfound brocomrade a departing fistbump, he jumps up to the human end of Bridge 1 and prepares to defend the Our Lady of the Sorrows.

Zaqiel once again accepts, just as gently as before. Its rider proceeds to check the first to make sure it is unscratched by all this vigorous friendly contact.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 09:50:12 am »

"I was just messing with you. Don't get uppity," comes her reply.

Aside from the accidental friendly fire, things seem to be going okay for now. Maybe she didn't have... as much to worry about. As long as she can take care of the Enemy units on her bridge, that would be enough. For a little while.

Just gotta fight off three or four Enemy units. By herself. With just a shield. And no weapon. Completely-- when did Hiro get here?

"Stay behind me," Tsukiko tells him. "I can take their hits better than you."

That said, she once again prepares a defensive stance. Hopefully smashing her shield into an Enemy unit's joints or canopy wouldn't be wasted effort if it came to that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:51:56 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 12:43:24 pm »

Although Yuta was able to generate enough speed to crack the clipped cable like a whip, it was readily apparent that it wouldn't serve as a functional weapon. The cable simply wasn't made for cutting through mecha armor, the best it would do was scratch some paint. Unless he had something really clever up his sleeve, Yuta was out of the fight.

The Zaquiel's second shot fell short of its target, allowing the fleeing mecha to escape. But that wasn't the worst of it. While inspecting the results of the fist bumps, Lee indeed discovered several small scratches in the mecha's paint.

The Enemy units on Bridge 1 successfully closed the distance and reached the Our Lady of Sorrows's position at the same time that Hiro arrived in the Seraphiel. The closest one slashed at the Our Lady, but its claws scraped harmlessly against the mecha's mighty shield. The next one encountered the same result, and the close proximity of their failed attacks put the two enemy mecha in a very vulnerable position. Unfortunately, Tsukiko was being swarmed by four foes, not two. The third moved to her left and clawed at her mecha's leg, although it failed to do any appreciable damage thanks to a poor angle. The fourth moved to the right and got one of its claws around the power cable that connected to the shield. It wasn't able to cut it right away, but would certainly do so if nothing was done about it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:45:35 pm by Takosher »
Defile Circles Discord
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7