Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Multiverse Mecha Mayhem - Mission 1 has Begun (OOC Thread)  (Read 5261 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Multiverse Mecha Mayhem - Mission 1 has Begun (OOC Thread)
« on: September 05, 2020, 12:38:29 pm »

Multiverse Mecha Mayhem
IC Thread

Across the multiverse, in every shady bar, grimy mechanic shop, and dingy barracks comes a message. Sometimes it appears unbidden in newsfeeds, sometimes it is plastered on posters, and sometimes it is laboriously handwritten with plenty of spelling mistakes. Regardless, the message is the same, or similar enough not to matter.

I, Captain Hakim, scourge of Khalzak, rescuer of Queen Raisha, slayer of the fearsome Beast of Delta-Io, am seeking a crew for the latest of my adventures. The Lord of the End of the Multiverse owes me and I never leave a debt unpaid, no matter how large nor how small. Assistance is needed to storm the End of the Multiverse and get Lord Z to pay its debt by guile or by force, for this is a job too big for me and Ziva's Revenge alone. It will involve dashing across multiple universes, retrieving the Dark Key from its hiding place, and crossing the Gate of Infinite Blackness to strike directly at Lord Z itself. Such a task requires the bravest and more daring of pilots and so they will be rewarded handsomely from my own coffers for it.

Applicants must bring their own mecha, or local equivalent, be capable of breathing an atmosphere of 80% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen, plus trace gases, and agree to several rounds of inoculations. Multiversal transport will be provided to and from the destination, along with room and board during the entire duration of the voyage. Payment will be delivered as soon as Ziva's Revenge returns from the End of the Multiverse, for good or for ill.

Serious Applicants Only!!!

Such a message is bound to attract the attention of those in the know, for the Ziva's Revenge is a magnificent ship and Hakim a formidable pirate, though not as fearsome as his father. If he requires outside help then he must surely be sailing into certain danger and a great reward. Thus if he manages to succeed in his task then he is certain to reward those who help him generously, for it is well know that the pirate is free with his money and cares more about adventure than material reward. And what an adventure it would be, to reach the End of the Multiverse and battle with its infamous Lord!

Multiverse Mecha Mayhem is a lighthearted and quick game about taking various types and styles of mechs and mashing them up in big battles. Hence the game is centred around a space pirate and a heist across the multiverse, so that instead of worrying about lore everyone can make whatever characters and designs they enjoy and participate in the game. While Multiverse Mecha Mayhem is mostly focused on mech combat there will be on-foot sections and some roleplaying elements as well, so it's best to make a character which can cooperate with others and isn't completely useless when they're out of a giant robot.

The player limit is going to be rather modest, somewhere between 4 and 8 players depending on interest, and players will be selected after a week or two.

Spoiler: Basic Mechanic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mech Combat (click to show/hide)

Example Character Sheet / Blank Character Sheet
Example Character: Yamaguchi Shichiro
Example Character: Pierrette Chauvin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:49:57 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Mecha Mayhem - Sign-Ups (OOC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:38:50 pm »

Dramatis Personae
Players:
Heart Havoc Warrior Justice Kiss (IronyOwl)
James Carson (Devastator)
Ln'Eta (Failbird105)
Takhir Lermontov (a1s)

Non-Players:
Captain Hakim Whydah and his Crew:
- Captain Hakim Whydah. Well known across the multiverse for his many deeds and adventures. Lost his left eye to Commodore Touthmosis Zeta. Not as fearsome as his father, though far more beloved due to his generosity and sense of honour. Attacking corrupt officers and merchants is his speciality.

- Ziva's Revenge. The ship's powerful AI system uses the holographic image of a young girl to interact with the crew, finding it more productive than yelling at them over the speakers. More carefree than a multi-quadrillion credit space ship should be. Hakim's second in command and in charge of the ship's many automated systems.

- Chief Medical Officer Guiomar Shehu. Third in command aboard Ziva's Revenge. With the crew numbering in the single digits he spends most of his time relaxing in his office, which suits him just fine. He is getting on in years and finds Hakim's adventures to be more peaceful than his rough and tumble youth.

- Chief Engineer Iesha Kama. After Ziva's Revenge was hacked by Drek cultists, Hakim and Ziva decided to include more isolated systems as a safety precaution and hired Iesha to manage and oversee them. Iesha is fourth in command and is a skilled mechanic, partly due to her body being two thirds robotic.

- Aaron Torosian. Professional Chef and an expert at turning alien lifeforms into scrumptious feasts. With the departure of Kariuki Mwangi he is now the longest serving member aboard Ziva's Revenge, since Hakim has an expensive palette and Ziva doesn't care for cooking. Fifth in command of the ship, mostly through seniority.

- George. The current bridge bunny, after his predecessor died from chewing on electrical wires. As such Hakim makes sure that he is properly supervised whenever he is out of his cage to prevent such a tragedy from occurring again. Very affectionate, he likes to sleep on people's laps and be petted. Sixth in command of the ship, due to being so cute.

- Chief Security Officer Berhane-AA. She is the newest member of Ziva's Revenge, as Kariuki Mwangi's replacement. Responsible for overseeing the security robots and turrets aboard the ship along with Ziva. Engineered to be tireless and unblinking, she can put a bullet into a spinning coin at 200 paces. She also gets woozy at the slight of blood, which is part of the reason she's seventh in command of the ship.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:41:44 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »

i might join

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:24 pm »

Absolutely want to join, just need some time to think up a good idea for a sheet and assemble it.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:44:12 pm »

Alright, the sheet is pretty much done now, all that's left is the possible consideration of swapping her last skill for Instant Access

Spoiler: In strange aeons... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:18:00 pm by Failbird105 »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 09:59:45 pm »

Might join, if I have time.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:09:33 pm »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 11:13:14 pm »

slap
Black lives matter.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 03:46:09 pm »

Will there be a lot of role-play involved? I might be up for a bit of 'mech combat, but I'm a terrible writer.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 04:22:13 pm »

The pure roleplay stuff is optional. The on-foot sections are pretty fluffy since the focus is on mech battles, so you'll have to talk with NPCs and your fellow players and so on, but they should also be objective focused so you aren't left floundering for something to do.

So the game isn't entirely about mech battles, but I'm not expecting you to develop a detailed personality and background for your character either. Pushing out a couple of sentences of your character's reaction to something or what they're trying to accomplish is fine. This isn't high literature, this is me wanting to smash giant robots together and needing to setup some context for it to make sense.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 04:55:44 pm »

The pure roleplay stuff is optional. The on-foot sections are pretty fluffy since the focus is on mech battles, so you'll have to talk with NPCs and your fellow players and so on, but they should also be objective focused so you aren't left floundering for something to do.

So the game isn't entirely about mech battles, but I'm not expecting you to develop a detailed personality and background for your character either. Pushing out a couple of sentences of your character's reaction to something or what they're trying to accomplish is fine. This isn't high literature, this is me wanting to smash giant robots together and needing to setup some context for it to make sense.
Would you be willing to look over my sheet to help figure out the balance and stuff?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 10:04:24 am »

Something like this? (more fluff might be added)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:06:01 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 03:20:30 pm »

Would you be willing to look over my sheet to help figure out the balance and stuff?

I'm sorry. I thought you were still working on it, so I was waiting for you to finish before saying anything.

Spoiler: Failbird105 Comments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: a1s Comments (click to show/hide)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 04:42:00 pm »

I'm sorry. I thought you were still working on it, so I was waiting for you to finish before saying anything.

Spoiler: Failbird105 Comments (click to show/hide)
I am still working on it, albeit only the Pilot sheet part and some reflavorings of default moves. I just wanted to get a bit of input on what I'd written before I finished.

For Call of the Deep, the 2 success/4 dice comes from the fact that I wasn't really sure what it would merit. I feel like I'll probably go with 4 dice though.
The extra cost comes from the fact that the AoE is both non-optional(meaning every use costs the extra amount for AoE), and doesn't differentiate between Friend and Foe(which I felt would merit less cost than normal AoE), I'd like to know how it should be handled if not that(I'm not against making it almost objectively better by making it regular optional AoE, I just kinda want to keep the double edged sword aspect because that's sorta this characters 'gimmick')

And yeah, Range 1 is fine on Submerge, I just didn't know how to word it with the system given.

As for Regrow, it's meant more as the double-edged heal, but one that can be used to hit an enemy extra hard in a pinch. What changes would you recommend for that?

I'll implement all the suggested modifications when I get the chance, I'm just a little occupied right now.
Edit: Everything that I didn't ask for more input on here has been fixed.

Edit Edit: Finished the non-mech traits
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:11:27 pm by Failbird105 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 05:38:52 pm »

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:23:34 pm by Devastator »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6