Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 12: Wondrous brief! [Game End]  (Read 6138 times)

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The setting: A wide and lushly forested valley, ringed by impenetrable crystalline ice-peaks. Overhead a darkly-red sun, bloated and tired, is partially-eclipsed by an enormous moon. The sun is just beginning to be obscured.

The characters: Just regular people.

The problem: When you went to sleep last night, it was in your own bed. When you woke up, you were sore all over, had an ache behind your eyes, and were lying in a fetal position in the middle of a ring of... electric-car charging stations? At least, that's what they look like to you. A small screen set into the top of a metallic pillar, and a rubbery cord coming out one side with a strange plug set into it.
Your throat parched, you croak in pain as you roll into a sitting position and blink at the strangers around you. They look as ill-treated as you feel.
You catch sight of your left wrist; there is a small metal socket set into it. Revulsion! What an unwelcome addition to your anatomy. But trying to peel it off of your wrist you can feel a tension coming from it and traveling up your arm... it is embedded deeply.

The trees crowd thick and tall around your little ring of suffering. But set into the hill-side near you is a gaping hole, twice as tall as yourself and three times as wide. A mouth, almost, primeval, carved by eons of flowing water, moisture dripping from toothy stalactites. It is shocking in its size and proximity, as though you had opened your front door to find that the street had changed over night into a reedy river-bank, and alligators were sunning on your lawn. Dimly, oh so faint, come the sound of thrumming engines from within this cave, and an exhalation of warm breath.

What do you do?

Spoiler: "Character Creation" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 03:06:10 pm by Trinculoisdead »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 05:10:15 am »

Name: Burt Smith
Description: A regular looking dude with a mustache
Favourite sci-fi movie: Alien
Worst way to die: Probably being set on fire.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 06:08:05 am »

Name: Douglas Fir
Description: A regular looking dude with glasses
Favourite sci-fi movie: They Live
Worst way to die: Buried in a tank of industrial desiccant
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 05:25:14 pm »

Just a couple of regular guys, lol.
Alright, post an action!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 05:58:15 pm »

Name: Elizabeth Fripp
Description: A fifty year old woman, in a grey business suit, of average build, slim, slightly severe, spectacled.
Favourite sci-fi movie: Moon
Worst way to die: Old age

Action, if I can post it: Examine the screen on the charging bay. If it's boring, go drink some water from a stalactite.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:19:37 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 07:25:38 pm »

Name: I
Description: An almost entirely human-looking figure whose features, while impossible to make out, are perfectly normal. Any feelings of alarm at this lack of data are simply overwhelmed by an overwhelming force of normalcy pushing down upon your psyche.
Favourite sci-fi movie: The Thing
Worst way to die: Bored

Examine trees for any useful features. What kind are they?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 12:43:38 am »

Turn 1:

Spoiler: "I" (click to show/hide)

Examine trees for any useful features. What kind are they?

The trees around you are as overwhelmingly normal as your own self. Looking at them, their individuals features blend together into a predictable impression of "northern evergreens, like, you know, in Alaska or something".

Spoiler: "Elizabeth Fripp" (click to show/hide)

Examine the screen on the charging bay. If it's boring, go drink some water from a stalactite.

As you approach the shimmery screen set into the top of the metal pillar, all the screens in the circle flicker to life and turn a dull red like the sun above you. A not-quite-human voice comes out of them, accompanied by soft music:

https://soundcloud.com/user-954539388/awake *
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you connect the cord to the socket in your left wrist, the reddish-orange screen swirls and alters, revealing a grid of nine options. A short text disclaimer at the bottom of the screen instructs you that these enhancements are single-use, so don't waste them! It says. Additionally, there is a small "decline" option in green at the bottom of the screen.

Spoiler: "Choose two" (click to show/hide)

*(psst, sorry about the soundcloud link, but I couldn't embed it on the forum.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:46:38 am by Trinculoisdead »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 01:04:19 am »

"A game, a game!" I tweet delightfully. "Any-game has its borders. Except those that don't. I wonder what I'll find past the edge."
I turn a sight at the cave mouth. "A curious game. The only way to win" *haha* "is not to play!"

Walk directly into the woods, keep going in a straight line till I run into an obstacle.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 04:35:23 am »

"Immortality, hm? Maybe waking up here wasn't so bad. So what is this, some kind of gameshow?"

Just choose option 5, for now. If I have to take two, choose 6 as well.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 04:41:46 am »

"What a strange place."
Plug my self into the thing, and I'll take a number three and a number five.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 08:32:41 am »

Examine the northern evergreen trees further. Do they happen to be fir trees? Maybe even Douglas Fir trees?

"Guys.... We probably shouldn't just mess with the alien technology yet... or go wandering off into the forest. We should try to stick together and have a plan first."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 11:13:33 am »

Is it too late to join?

Name: Ronda
Description: Blonde haired woman, she was studying to become a teacher before waking up here
Favourite sci-fi movie: Haven’t seen many of them
Worst way to die: Don’t know, probably getting slowly killed by prions

Plug my arm into the socket and pick the Gene Splice and Cognitive immortality implants

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 01:17:43 pm »

Turn 2:

Spoiler: "I" (click to show/hide)

Walk directly into the woods, keep going in a straight line till I run into an obstacle.

The tree-trunks are thick and close-together. Your straight-line leads to inevitable impact as you walk directly into a tree just outside of the circle of stations.

Spoiler: "Elizabeth Fripp" (click to show/hide)

"Immortality, hm? Maybe waking up here wasn't so bad. So what is this, some kind of gameshow?"

Just choose option 5, for now. If I have to take two, choose 6 as well.

You insert the cable; it fits perfectly into your arm with a satisfying click. You press the Cognitive Immortality option, an image of a person slumped to the floor as bits of glittery data fly out of their head and into an owl with a comical expression on its face. Immediately, you can feel your mind being ordered, sorted, and then prepared for transfer. A sensation not unlike what you imagine your computer feels when you optimize the hard drive. Your arm glows blue briefly, and then the plug falls out and you are released.

Spoiler: "Ronda" (click to show/hide)

Plug my arm into the socket and pick the Gene Splice and Cognitive immortality implants

You plug yourself in and make your selection. The Gene Splice option has an image of a person dragging an enormous lobster-claw behind them in place of one of their arms. You experience the ordering of your mind, and then goosebumps that radiate out over your body from your arm. You become aware that if you wish, you can absorb a physical aspect of a freshly-dead creature, or a freshly-broken robotic form. The thought of hurting anything is... unusual, but your mind adjusts very quickly to this new understanding. Like when you learned how to swim or the first time you slept with someone you loved: it just feels right.

Spoiler: "Burt Smith" (click to show/hide)

"What a strange place."

Plug my self into the thing, and I'll take a number three and a number five.

You do just that, sending shivers through your body and rapid-fire memories flickering through your mind. When it is done, you glance at the blond-haired woman next to you and notice that the same options are selected on her panel.

Spoiler: "Douglas Fir" (click to show/hide)

Examine the northern evergreen trees further. Do they happen to be fir trees? Maybe even Douglas Fir trees?

You can recognize your name-sake, and these are indeed Douglas Fir trees. One strange thing about them, however, is that they are largely uniform in size: as though they were all planted at the same time.

(By the by, if it wasn't clear, the idea with the enhancements is that they are basically single-use powers. So that, for example, if you select "Reset", then it means that at any time you can activate it to reset back to your original position. Similarly, Bio-rejuv will wait dormant until you activate it, at which point all your hurts will be healed.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »

"Guys.... We probably shouldn't just mess with the alien technology yet... or go wandering off into the forest. We should try to stick together and have a plan first."
"You're approaching this with the wrong mindset. The alien technology has already messed with us, we're playing by its rules now."

Choose option 8, then go into the cave mouth. Drink some of the water dripping from the ceiling.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 02:49:43 pm »

"Playing by the rules? But which rules are they? I know a few different sets."

Punch tree to acquire wood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5