Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 12: Wondrous brief! [Game End]  (Read 6137 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 4, Slowly into the dark
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:52 pm »

"I'm just trying to get a fire going, and then maybe make some basic tools. You can help out if you want. Once we have the survival basics, we can explore and try to figure out what'a going on here."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 4, Slowly into the dark
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 10:25:21 pm »

Get back to the light and try finding things to assist with the fire building

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 09:34:17 pm »

Turn 5:

Spoiler: "Douglas Fir" (click to show/hide)
"Are you okay? Did that tree seem more alive than normal?"

Doug helps up the almost entirely human-looking figure whose features--while impossible to make out--are perfectly normal, who just fell.

"We should probably get some fire going. Already have some shelter and water in that cave, so fire's the next thing.
I could probably start a fire with my glasses, if it's a very sunny day and I have good tinder."

Start scavenging along the forest floor for fire starting supplies. Brush away the layer of needles and moss to look under it.
Look for rocks. Any sharp flint rocks would be a jackpot, but keep any rocks I find. Pile them up near the cave entrance.
Also keep any sticks, especially ones that could be used as a torch handle. I know there aren't any good stout branches, but there might be some smaller ones that can still make a good torch handle or firewood. Make a pile of sticks near the cave entrance next to the rocks.
And keep an eye out for any litter, you would be surprised how much garbage there is out in the deep wilderness. A tin can would be great.

Underneath the layer of needles and moss is dirt. Some of it is smelly and discoloured, but for the most part it is just dirt.
You amass a small pile of sharp rocks near the cave entrance.
You amass a small pile of sticks near the cave entrance.
You find no litter. The forest is nearly pristine.
You tug at an especially attractive piece of flint sticking out the side of the cave entrance. It entices you with its utility and shape; in your mind it is already sparking up great fires that will burn away all your troubles. You give one last jerk and it pulls away into your hand...leading to a crunching and sliding and settling and rumbling as part of the cave entrance collapses into itself: sealing off the cave entrance completely!
The pile of stones is buried.
The pile of sticks is buried.
The piece of flint glitters in your hand. Treacherous, sexy little piece of flint...

Spoiler: "Elizabeth Fripp" (click to show/hide)

"It's fine, I'm over here. It's pretty dark though, so move slowly. I'd wait until we have some kind of light source."

Turn around and go back into the light. If that works, start getting some sticks together, for basic torches.

With a deafening rumble, the cave entrance is blocked by a slide of boulders and stones. There is no light, there are no sticks, there are no torches. As the dust settles and you wipe the grit out of your eyes, there is only the slow fumbling of your hands across the unseen floor and the dawning understanding that time works differently in the dark. The collapse only happened a minute ago, right? Or was it an hour? Or was it a day. You're alone.

Spoiler: "I" (click to show/hide)
"Any changes to my status condition are immaterial."

Peel a sheet of metal off of the spawn-contraption and sharpen it with a rock, then bind it to a wooden handle using some clothing, to form a basic machete.
The regular-looking dude with glasses who calls himself a tree-name has already taken all the sticks and collapsed half of a hillside on top of them.
However, you do peel some sheet metal off the spawn-contraption and sharpen it with a rock (there are plenty of those around still), into a kind of handle-less machete.

Spoiler: "Burt Smith" (click to show/hide)
"So does anyone have any kind of plan as for what we're doing?"
Go over to the spawn area and see if I can't pull up one of those car charger like things or at least get some parts off of it.
You pull up on one of the car-chargers, prepared to give it a great tug, but it weighs as little as a cardboard box and you tumble over backwards with it. It's only a decoy! Revealed underneath the box is a big steamy egg with an X-shaped slit in the top. It pulses gently.

Spoiler: "Ronda" (click to show/hide)
Get back to the light and try finding things to assist with the fire building
You escape from the cave before it collapses, executing a perfect dodge-roll that saves you from being squashed like a mouse underneath a falling shovelful of gravel. You just happen to end up next to the partially dismantled spawn-contraption. Poking out of its complicated-looking innards is a small hose with a valve on the end. It is marked, "Self-lighting liquid fuel-line, good for fire building". You can pull several feet of the line out of the machine. When you turn the valve, it shoots out a steady blue flame.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 5: Failure-state blocked, what now?
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 09:52:38 pm »

Eat the egg.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 5: Failure-state blocked, what now?
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 05:26:54 am »

"Hey guys I pulled up this thing and there's a wet egg under it and I feel we should be concerned about it."
Get away from the wet egg and examine the decoy car charger thing I just pulled up, and see what it could be used for.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 05:46:33 am »

Allow my eyes to get used to the dark, before moving deeper into the cave.
One wheel short of a wagon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 06:01:12 am »

"The cave was unstable. I guess that just proves why we shouldn't go in. ..... Shit, there's someone still inside."

Clear rubble from the cave entrance. At least enough to let a bit of air and light in, and allow communication with the person trapped inside. Hopefully make a large enough gap to let someone crawl through.

"By the way I am very concerned about that egg!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:03:36 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 11:44:02 pm »

Turn 6:

"The cave was unstable. I guess that just proves why we shouldn't go in. ..... Shit, there's someone still inside.

"By the way I am very concerned about that egg!"

Clear rubble from the cave entrance. At least enough to let a bit of air and light in, and allow communication with the person trapped inside. Hopefully make a large enough gap to let someone crawl through.
You turn away from the pulsing egg and start hauling off great slabs of stone. It goes very well, and you dig out a gap wide enough for someone to crawl through. If you call through it, you hear no response.

Allow my eyes to get used to the dark, before moving deeper into the cave.
Well... It's way too dark to see anything in here, but you crawl further into the cave. It becomes warmer, and the thrumming of great engines grows louder. Suddenly, you come to a place where the floor drops away. You can feel warm air blowing past your face, and the rumble of machinery drifts up from far below.

Eat the egg.
You wrap your lips around that baby, but it's way too big. Your lips burn from touching the egg.

"Hey guys I pulled up this thing and there's a wet egg under it and I feel we should be concerned about it."
Get away from the wet egg and examine the decoy car charger thing I just pulled up, and see what it could be used for.
You back away from the wet egg as the normal-looking guy starts trying to swallow it.
The box is literally just cardboard with sharpy drawings of a dark screen drawn onto it. How could you have mistaken it for real? You blame the strange surroundings.

You feel sleepy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 6: Egg-sucking!
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 01:55:44 am »

Unhinge jaw, eat egg.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 01:58:34 am »

"Is there anything we can do with cardboard or should I just add it to the pile of stuff to burn?"
Use that rock I found earlier to get a decent sized branch off of one of the trees.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 04:08:55 am »

If there's just a vertical chasm, wander back towards the entrance.
One wheel short of a wagon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:13 am »

"Cardboard? Can't think of anything right now. How bout we just set it aside till we need it?"

Time to make those torches.
Step 1: Get lots of sap from the fir trees. Just scrape the dried up stuff from the outside of the trees. Pine/fir sap burns very well.
Step 2: Get some pinecones, actually fir cones. Coat them in the sap.
Step 3: Get some sticks. Split one end of the stick into a fork, using either my sharp flint or borrowing the strange woman's machete to do this. Wedge the sap covered pinecone into the forked branch.

Make as many torches as I can.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:06:27 am by NAV »

Trinculoisdead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 10:54:28 pm »

Turn 7:

Unhinge jaw, eat egg.
The human-looking figure's jaw pops as it unhinges and, snake-like, he begins to pull his mouth down over the unnatural egg.It bulges in his expanding neck before finally settling in his bloated mid-section. The entire process takes several minutes. It is difficult to look away.

"Is there anything we can do with cardboard or should I just add it to the pile of stuff to burn?"
Use that rock I found earlier to get a decent sized branch off of one of the trees.
You grab up your reddish rock and clamber up the thick trunk of the nearest fir tree. Sticky with sap and breathing heavily, you reach a good branch and start hacking at it. Suddenly, the tree bends and whips out one of its long arms towards Douglas Fir, grabs up his special flint in its scented grasp, and swiftly strikes the flint against your stone.
As the two stones collide, time slows waaaay down. You can see the individual sparks shooting from the impact, engulfing your body, blooming into glorious flame. You begin to fall from the tree-branch as a star from the heavens, singing the fir-needles with the heat of your passage and tumbling head over heels like a Catherine Wheel. By the time you splodge into the mud below, you are nearly engulfed by fire.

If there's just a vertical chasm, wander back towards the entrance.
It is a vertical chasm! In a sudden billowing of steam and fire from below, the depth of this gash into the earth is made clear: twenty paces across, and a hundred deep. The cavern continues on the far side, and far below you toils a pair of gigantic human forms. Bearded and naked, orange-skinned in the light, and sweating profusely (little hisses of steam come up from where the sweat-drops fall), a pair of giants are shoveling stacks of twinkling stones in through a furnace door. It is the opening of the furnace door that illuminated the chasm, and as soon as it is shut again the chasm goes dark.
You do not think you were noticed, even though you could not help but gasp at the sight.

You wander expertly through the dark back towards the entrance. You see light ahead, a way out is open! And then a flash of fire-light shines through from outside...

"Cardboard? Can't think of anything right now. How bout we just set it aside till we need it?"

Time to make those torches.
Step 1: Get lots of sap from the fir trees. Just scrape the dried up stuff from the outside of the trees. Pine/fir sap burns very well.
Step 2: Get some pinecones, actually fir cones. Coat them in the sap.
Step 3: Get some sticks. Split one end of the stick into a fork, using either my sharp flint or borrowing the strange woman's machete to do this. Wedge the sap covered pinecone into the forked branch.

Make as many torches as I can.

Oh geez, oh man, what went wrong?, you think, as you look down at the sticky mess of torch-ingredients at your feet. This is not going well.

The blond-haired woman curls up next to one of the pillars and falls fast asleep...
...The nearest cable begins slithering towards her wrist.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:56:36 pm by Trinculoisdead »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 11:12:45 pm »

Kill the slithering cable with my machete, then butcher it for meat to feed my comrades.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Get Lost in that Cave and Die: Turn 7: Pyro-tree
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2020, 04:51:53 am »

If I'm still on fire rub myself against the tree that set me on fire, if I've extinguished just lay in the mud for a little bit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5