Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crimes againains life, nature, civilization and you!  (Read 3136 times)

Necrosian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Crimes againains life, nature, civilization and you!
« on: September 09, 2020, 07:11:20 am »

So while i am waiting for steam release i got bored and started reading these forums for tips and such.
Sadly i fell into deep and jagged rabbit hole of atrocities committed by you people. Sadly that thread was years old.

So tell me worst thing you have dome in pursuit of fun and !FUN!, and maybe !SCIENCE!, but that's optional.

P.S.
This is my first topic here, if i did something wrong feel free to delete.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crimes againains life, nature, civilization and you!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 03:41:42 pm »

When my forts young, I cheat by using the exterminate command on werecreatures, so my dwarves aren't harmed.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 06:17:19 pm »

Allow me to direct your attention to the official Hall of Legends.  Therein you will find all manner of tales, great and terrible.  (Terrible in the sense that they are quite evil, but still very funny.)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 06:57:11 pm »

Here's a list of some infamous things that are possible in dwarf fortress

cause a mother to use her new baby as a shield
force a bleeding dwarf to clean for most of his life with careful labour and soap manipulation
arrange for a noble to meet her unfortunate demise via ridiculous or barbaric means (its hard to find somebody who hasn't done this)
splat anybody and anything under a drawbridge out of existence (nobody is aware of anything happening to the victim, they simply vanish out the game unless its an artifact where they receive a hidden flag)
keep an elf locked in a cage for eternity as they are immortal
board a vampire into a room and make him switch man for however long your fort is (as long as he doesn't go insane)
set a dwarf on fire repeatedly in order to burn all their fat off
lock your military/children in rooms full of spikes on repeat as training (used to be quite practical!)
rip a creature's limbs off and beat them to death with it. Yes this will happen to you or your dwarves
mermaid farm where they have kids and get airdrowned and left to rot for bones. (this one actually resulted in a nerf to mermaid bone value, so the community moved onto sea serpents instead)

and if you think that list is horrifying, then let me inform you that there's been a thread (not sure if its the one you read) about the most horrible thing in df. Somebody "won" it and that squicked out dwarf fortress players enough to try and remove all mention of them
yet this being dwarf fortress...the info's around if you know where to look

personally I have done most of these, some of which were complete accident (the shield baby for example, mixed up my dorf's last names and put wrong one in the army) I think my favourite was the time I had an elf diplomat beaten, tossed down a spike pit and then had the spike pit flooded with magma when he got raised by a necromancer. All because he demanded I limit my tree cutting.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:59:04 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 02:19:30 am »

Dont forget, you can toss a vampire in the bottom of a well with an upright spike, and stab them a few times, to create a pool of their blood, which contaminates the well water and passes on their vampirism. Forbid all your booze for a month or two, turn the entire fort into vampires.

In addition to what Recon mentioned, elves and goblins, and invaders in general, make good cage occupants for dining room display areas. Dwarves like seeing creatures in cages, like a zoo for them. A zoo full of their enemies.

Someone invented a highly efficient means to separate coin stacks into individual coins to exploit the fact that individual coins can be melted down in significantly more bars than it took to produce the stack: Put visitors/invaders in a 1x1 hole in the middle of fortifications, and force them to watch their comrades die gruesome deaths, then endure the decay of their bodies. They will eventually start tantruming, and throwing the coins around, which splits the stacks up.

There was a bug with rescuing children from dark pits which I'm not sure was fixed; if you successfully take them back to their family members, they'll murder the kid because the kid is technically a member of the goblin civ. Not sure if its been fixed.

You can also recruit wild animal people by singing/reciting poetry to them and asking them to join you as an entertainer. Then return to civilization, where they will be attacked and killed for being a wild animal. Its needlessly cruel.

Create a zombie army by throwing your invaders in a death pit with a captured necromancer tucked away above and behind fortifications. Just keep throwing them in there. The necromancer will freak out and raise the corpses of the dead to defend themselves from the enemies in the pit.

Someone made a drawbridge torture arena where instead of intentionally smashing captured invaders, they would fling them around when the bridge was raised. A catapult from hell. Possibly into hell. That was quite a while ago, but it should still work quite well.

And that doesnt include the atrocities you can commit through modding. So many atrocities, I can hardly count them all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 02:42:42 am »

Intentionally having mothers killed with their newborn babies so that they can be raised as intelligent undead with baby armour. I didn't check to see if they ever picked the baby back up, though.

Back many versions ago, I had a knack for building family extermination devices. The most (often the only) useful member of a family is stationed by a lever for a bridge that its family is burrowed on. The Urist pulls the lever, watches its family die painfully, and hopefully "just doesn't care about anything anymore.". I had plans to try to encourage as much pregnancy as I could, so that I'd have a constant supply of children to drop, but it never came to be.

Actually, do dwarfs feel negative thoughts when a raised intelligent undead member of their family is killed? Perhaps I could create a babystermination cycle to desensitize dwarfs to violence now. But I'm not sure how that would go with the psychology update.

Before the ability to exile dwarfs and ghosts, it was common practice to herd all useless dwarfs into a killing chamber. I built a huge tower of obsidian and granite to propel them off of a cliff once. My favourite method was a drop into magma, though. Just herd them into the room, pull the lever, and no cleanup required. After the ghost update, I started to prefer direct drops into the crypts. They splatter in a room full of coffins to put them in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:49:28 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:43 pm »

When my cage traps produced an abundance of troglodytes I'd  build a tall tower and test the theory on the wiki that the material that a floor is made of affects the amount of blunt force damage it does when a creature hits it.

Meticulously I mostly proved that 10z drop onto a platinum floor did as much damage as regular stone. Messy clean up though
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:34:26 pm »

I set up a silk farm for a web-casting FB, with a dwarf as bait. Normally you have to change out the dwarf periodically, to keep him from going insane. But this bait dwarf was a werepanda, so he couldn't die from insanity or depression. I sealed him in with fortification and let him spend a year getting squirted with web, over and over and over and over.

zippymaps

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf cartographer, Urist McMappington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »

Some of the ideas in this thread... You guys are awful! Shield babies!!! :-[ :-[

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:28 pm »

Dont forget, you can toss a vampire in the bottom of a well with an upright spike,
How do you do that? Tossing the vampire?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:29:59 pm »

The worst thing? I did once trap an entire family in a room to starve to death for no reason other than the fact that they had brought a large number of children. I've since changed my stance on children quite drastically, but it was frustrating to get 2 adults and 7 kids as your first migrant wave. Oh right, also I once executed my entire fort spare for two because I was doing some !!SCIENCE!! and needed time to go by faster, but... okay yeah that was pretty bad.

I've also committed my fair share of war crimes, the worst of which is probably this ordeal. Goblin siege, except I trap some trolls and a few goblins under my auto-siege cleaner. Body parts rain down on them for most of the fight as they hear their comrades drying above them, and then a huge mound of their friends' mangled corpses gets dropped on top of them before I unleash the magma which slowly incinerates them. Runner up is probably dropping a bunch of goblins in a pit and then leaving them there to go insane from the corpses of their comrades who didn't survive the fall and butcher each other while still suffering from their initial wounds.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 09:16:45 pm »

mermaid farm where they have kids and get airdrowned and left to rot for bones. (this one actually resulted in a nerf to mermaid bone value, so the community moved onto sea serpents instead)

I believe this is the only thing even Toady viewed as so utterly vile he had to change the game over it.  Actually you could still do it if you were just relentlessly evil but there's no profit in it any more.  Mermaid bones are not worth anything special.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:28 am »

Dont forget, you can toss a vampire in the bottom of a well with an upright spike,
I build a special, new 1x1 well with an entry room I can burrow and then lock the vampire into. You can hook the spike up to a lever so you can stab whenever you please. The blood won't always be winched up with the bucket, so it can be hard. Sometimes it can take multiple vampires.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 12:13:24 pm »

I build a special, new 1x1 well with an entry room I can burrow and then lock the vampire into. You can hook the spike up to a lever so you can stab whenever you please. The blood won't always be winched up with the bucket, so it can be hard. Sometimes it can take multiple vampires.
Oh you put the vamp in the bottom of what will become the well, then fill it later.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:33 am »

Alternatively, creative use of retracting bridges can be used to literally toss the vampire into a well. Still probably best to do before water is added, and with the retracting spike withdrawn so it doesn't get a lucky kill.

I once lost a baby because the mother had a tantrum. She didn't start a fistfight with the baby (which is a thing I have heard of from this game), but instead she yeeted it into the well.

Also remember that the first version of the current build turned mothers into puppets controlled by their babies. They died from thirst or hunger because the game treated them as mounts, and the babies kept steering them away from any food or drink they tried to consume.
Pages: [1] 2