Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion for medicines  (Read 782 times)

NecromancerGoblin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Suggestion for medicines
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:50:51 am »

Since the syndrome system has ways of healing the target instead of hurting it, medicines just need a method of application to be useful.

Example: golden salve
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:EXTRACT:PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen golden salve]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:golden salve]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling golden salve]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:1]
[EXTRACT_STORAGE:FLASK]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_HEAL_TISSUES:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000] - heals the tissue it was applied to
[CE_STOP_BLEEDING:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000] - will stop bleeding
[CE_REDUCE_SWELLING:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000] - reduces swelling
[CE_CURE_INFECTION:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:50:PEAK:1000:END:2000] - cures infections
[MEDICINAL_USE:OINTMENT_ANY:OINTMENT_INFECTION:OINTNEMT_SWELLING] - This token will tell the dwarves how to use the extract as a medicine. In this case, it will be used as an ointment in case of infection, swelling, or any wound.

Other possibilities for MEDICINAL_USE might be:

• INGESTED_NAUSEA - will be feed to a patient with nausea
  • OINTMENT_OPEN_WOUND - applied to open wound
  • INGESTED_PARALYSIS - fed in case of paralysis
  • INGESTED_FEVER - fed in case of fever
  • OINTMENT_PAIN - applied in case of pain

When a dwarf is diagnosed, the doctor will look over the list of medicines available, and will see if its appropriate for the wound. If yes, they will either spatter it onto the appropriate body part, or feed it to the patient.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for medicines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:04:49 pm »

When a dwarf is diagnosed, the doctor will look over the list of medicines available, and will see if its appropriate for the wound. If yes, they will either spatter it onto the appropriate body part, or feed it to the patient.
Ideally with a liberal degree of error for the inexperienced doctor, who will inject savlon or rub donated blood into the skin.

If medicines are added to the game I would have to amend all medicines to be called ‘beer’ so that every dwarfen cure is “rub some beer on it!”
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:37:07 pm »

We could even apply negative values for already-existing tags such as BLEEDING.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:37:26 pm »

I would strongly recommend that the application style and uses be separated so they can be manipulated independently. Think "OINTMENT:PAIN", not "OINTMENT_PAIN".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 03:15:29 pm »

Percentage reductions? Or negative percentile increases.

If you're bleeding/hurting/whatever a given amount, the application might halve that (per application[1]), leaving the rest up to normal bodily recuperation. 100% cure-alls would be a bit... Doomy?

(Being fantasy-setting, lizard[2] extract could promote lost-limb regrowth? Imagine that'd need a bit of extra coding to 'fill out' an injury like that into the archetype template, and how. Also makes me wonder about a "necroed limb farm". Also also makes me wonder if you could salve the necroed limbs to regrow the bodies, for a zombie-clone army, from a single bounty hunter with a jetpack/missile-launcher you lured into your service. *Ahem*)

[1] Diminishing returns, so probably needs intelligent self-limitation, per-patient prioritisation or other moderation to not use a whole pharmacy of stock to whittle down one patient to near-zero injury, while others go (or subsequently will go) wanting.

[2] Well, salamander. But until I double-check their presence (olms aside) I'll propose it as more generically.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 01:05:48 pm »

Dried Frog Pills! Extracting the hallucinogenic poison of certain frogs, dried, and administered to the insane so that they at least hallucinate they are sane.

From the discworld novels.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:20:16 pm »

I would strongly recommend that the application style and uses be separated so they can be manipulated independently. Think "OINTMENT:PAIN", not "OINTMENT_PAIN".

Galenics sounds like good suggestions; I would suggest ointments, pills, infusions, alcoholic tinctures and smoking items, and the chosen form should depend of the intended use (eye affections could be cured with collyras) or the product (some are soluble in alcohol and not water).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."