Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29636 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive Succession Game - Round 4 In-Progress - Join Now!
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2020, 05:01:32 am »

I saw them for a bit earlier, but now I don't - I guess something about google photos means they change image addresses on occasion.

Imgur is solid, as well as copy and pasting into an empty discord server - that can work too and is basically what I used to do.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2020, 04:30:33 pm »

Echoing imgur. You don't need an account unless they changed it recently. And the images stay online for years - though not forever, so if you like a particular story, keep an offline backup of the images.

Nice update Del, throwing that adamantine disk down the pit. . every new round must feel a little like stepping into someone else's house, someone you kind of resent for 1-upping you. lol And the strategy talk is interesting, definitely more complex than I imagined.

I updated the OP with a snazzy new victory table, and made the save more easily accessible for those wanting to jump in (sorry for the confusion Murr2). I will assume Strika needs an extension, so we will call this round at the time their save is posted. Unless I missed someone - Bralbaard, perhaps?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2020, 05:05:12 pm »

I indicated earlier that I would skip this round, don't wait for me.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2020, 07:00:39 pm »

Alrighty, I'll keep Imgur in mind and eventually update the post.

Also, this is random, but I have an argument that could get me at least one point on the scoring table (which is veritable indeed)
The theme is weapons.
And I weaponized an entire room.
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2020, 10:00:23 am »

'Tis done! thank you, Salmeuk, for the extension!

SAVE.

My initial plan was to post the write-up after Salmeuk officially closes this turn. However, the distinguished competition have already started posting their own runs, so it's suddenly a bit rude to hold up until then. So, eh, here it goes; I still need to revise what I wrote during playthrough, but it's all going to be posted in the next few hours.

-----------------------------------------------
Intro & Planning

In the interest of full disclosure, this year too has been subject to a full reset. It's becoming a habit, apparently, to play each challenge twice: once when I make all the screw-ups, and a second time when I apply the lessons of the first turn (that, or screw up in new and unique ways…).

The 'draft' playthrough was done on Saturday and Sunday evenings; I disliked it since the start because it was plagued by idle dwarves, and in these challenges if you have idle dwarves you're probably losing. It reached until mid-autumn. The actual play-through was done in the workday evenings, and ended Saturday afternoon.

For this run, I’m going to try something different: I’ll write the logs not chronologically, as virtually all playthroughs are written, but per project. I’m curious if this will make things easier for readers, or if it just results in a confusing mess. It’ll certainly be harder for the writer, because sorting out pictures will be a minor nightmare.

So, with the lessons of the draft playthrough, here is the project list, in order of priority. Obviously, it's a giant spoiler for the rest of the turn:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Score:

Calculating the score for this round was difficult, as expected. It was even more difficult due to the goblin invasion on the surface borking up the stock count. What I ended up doing was to shut down all production right after the year turned, then wait for the gobbos to leave. In this way, I could count weapons with minimal fuss.

In total, the fortress has 3,716 weapons of all kinds.

Of course, that’s really not the number I am after. The next step is to resize the DF window to show a convenient number of items per page in the list - in this case, 30:

From now on, I can search for items and count pages, while subtracting the undesirables as needed.

Actual scores:

In addition, the fort owns:

13 battle axes, of which two were produced externally and one is an artifact (Zizicun Uvel, the Reticence of Bears)
7 crossbows. And nobody to wield them.
3 bows, which is a damn shame because we have some 8 skilled bow-dwarves.
1 warhammer.
1 iron whip, still in the hands of a caged goblin.
1 silver pike, likewise.

DfHack Commands & utils:
- cleanowned X (not x, X)
- getplants REED_ROPE (there aren’t any, by the way).
- And, of course, quicksave.

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2020, 10:11:09 am »

Woah, nice work Strika! Seems you blew me out of the water, at least! I haven't looked at anyones saves yet but I'm interested to see everyone's workflow setups.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2020, 11:06:29 am »

Thank you, Del! I haven't checked any other saves either, it was tedious enough to count my own weapons, I'm not counting anybody else's. Salmeuk has his work cut out for him. And I at least sold some of the 'other' weapons; don't think anybody else did that.

And because I forgot the last time: Welcome to the nuthouse, Murr2! (what happened to Murr1?)

If you'd like some unsolicited advice about imgur: when embedding pics in a post, make sure to grab the link from the contextual menu not the "Copy Link" button:

The contextual menu gives a link like https://i.imgur.com/4w0vtQY.png and the button gives https://imgur.com/4w0vtQY, which doesn't get along with bay12 - it will just eat the picture. Made that mistake in one of my first image-heavy posts, and it was a pain to fix.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:18:44 pm by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2020, 01:57:09 pm »

Prologue (and non-project events)

My turn begins like all my turns do: with an audit of the fortress I just inherited.

First thing first: review orders. Disable auto-looming (I honestly hate that option; oh ya, let me just exhaust a resource commonly needed for strange moods...), allow only farmers to harvest, collect outdoor refuse, zone drinking and fishing only. Also, cancel the 4 (!) dumping zones that my predecessors left me. Those were a source of some annoyance, and, more dangerously, wasted time… in the draft playthrough.

The surface will manage on its own in the near term, but in the long term we need a safe entrance. The current invasion can’t breach our poor little wooden door, due to a lack of trolls, but it’s inevitable that eventually they’ll bring some. (EDIT: so here I screwed up - this is not a wooden door, it’s an artifact bone door, and impervious to attack; I had to learn that from the thread *cough*).

All workshops and farms on the surface will be deconstructed, whenever we can go outside. I have some ideas, but we’ll see if I have the time.

(not pictured: four more carpenter’s workshops off to the south-east, and a clothier’s higher on the peak)

Right under, lies Spriggans’ booze pile, dwarven ‘rooms’, underground farms, and far-too-many stills. And… is that a non-magma forge? And a bunch of jeweller’s workshops? I’m going to guess it was intended for strange moods, but if so it really should be more lock-able than it is. I mark it for deconstruction, along with all other but the jeweller’s in the corner. The booze pile gets removed too; I first wanted it to remain as it is, but then dwarves started hauling booze around. I presume that’s a side-effect of me unforbidding everything on the map.

(not pictured: way more barrels)

Below, interesting things: applet’s winning entry, which will soon be closed behind a locked door, ‘cause I don’t trust these dumbasses to deter thieves. And the turkey room, which… doesn’t have its turkeys? Nobody bothered to assign animals to any pasture, so they’re wandering wherever they please, and the hens only return to this room to lay eggs. Something else to potentially deal with. You can also see the mechanic’s and mason’s workshops that I mentioned; they’re both set to take from a deactivated stone stockpile which covers all the stone chunks - a common strategy of clearing loose rocks from an area without hauling or dumping.

Two levels below, a bunch of rooms. In total, we have 56 individual bedrooms, so there should definitely be more (and I both like and hate the “door in corner” strategy):

And this weird thing:

More rooms below, and angry, angry, Radipon:

What’s ailing you, Radi?

All right, I’ll see what I can do.

Our ‘temples’; I feel far more coffins will be needed. The mason can provide.

Nothing else is interesting, until we reach the bottom of the world, where applet made a wise decision: obsidianizing the adamantine vein.

This will continue: five tiles are about to be obsidianized, and two more need to be channeled.

In the same area we have the old Radiponian smithy; like most temporary solutions, it’s proven to be pretty permanent.

Why is there a random diorite bridge in there? It’s not even connected to the lever above… I’m going to leave it alone unless I need the space.

Moving on. The stocks menu is occasionally bungled by what invaders on the surface carry with them, but we seem to be a decently-appointed fort; someone was kind enough to trade for cloth and leather, and I'll certainly keep that up.

We have six weaponsmiths total: three legendary ones and three others who are less skilled (level 2); this makes me inordinately happy. Now let’s see if they can chew through our bar stockpile before the new smithy is done:

The only undead visible are in the caverns; this gives me an idea on how to use my weapons (or, more likely, how some of my successors will use the weapons): in weapon traps, guarding the cavern. There’s a real danger of an undead explosion - I’ve had one before, in a 44.x fort, and ended up scrapping three years of play because the ~450 undead pathing in the cave were murdering my FPS.

Spring

Before the year turns, I run cleanowned X; around 20 tattered clothes end up dumped. This command gets run repeatedly in the fort’s life, to get rid of the current worn clothing after it reaches a tattered state, and starts causing negative thoughts. If you see old dump zones with a few rags in them, that’s why: they were active when cleanowned was fired off.

1st Granite. The siege has lifted, it’s time to let dwarfs outside so we can bury our dead. Immediately, I’m inundated with “cancels Place Item in Tomb: item inaccessible” spam; there isn’t any obvious cause, but it goes away after I delete the current burrow. I still don’t know why that happened - it was not active on the military screen, and nobody was assigned to it.

3rd Granite. Oh, be patient. I’ll bury you as soon as the coffins are made.

4th Granite. I’m sure this will end well for you.

12th Granite. The elves are here, unusually fast. I don’t trade for much, only two bows and every piece of civilian clothing I can find. As per tradition, they received the worn and tattered clothing in exchange; plus a few crafts to make up the value.

15th Granite. I decide to use this space:

In the left ‘room’, I’ll make the cooking area. Above, a ‘general’ food pile, and the plant processing area. I’m tempted to say these are all temporary, but you know what happens to temporary solutions.

18th Granite. Congrats on being less useless! (and for bringing the number of adult dwarves to 69)

2nd Slate
The ghostly swordsdwarf has been put to rest.

5th Slate. All manner of bad decisions:

With a name like EarthAge, you’d better be focused on farming...

Summer.

15th Hematite. The humans are here, and they have brought a guild representative. I order seeds for cotton and rope reed, not that I expect anyone to buy them. There’s a lack of grizzly bears on offer; these humans have not yet tamed these particular animals, apparently. And I don’t care about anything else.

I trade discarded clothes, copper crafts, and totems for truly spectacular amounts of leather, a few bits of glass, and one copper bow. With this occasion, I find out humans don’t buy elven weapons:

22nd. How very awkward.

She dies a day after; turns out human bows are worth every dime. I forbid her corpse, because I don’t want her stinking up my fort.

6th Malachite. The army receives a few new armor definitions:

Three brand new squads follow. This is also the time when I’m renaming dwarves; some applets are no longer applets:

The only squad that isn’t full is the sword dwarfs - even enlisting a weaponsmith and ‘myself’ there are still two missing squaddies.

25th Felsite. Since most projects have been completed, I think it’s time to plot out some above ground indoor farming. The first steps are already taken; a block stockpile is created near the surface, the aboveground farms are left fallow, and everything else on the surface was dismantled. Once again, the trade depot is the exception, because I don’t want to wreck the old one until I have the new one.

Autumn

We are offered a barony… which I promptly give to Spriggans. At 14 years of age, she has already developed excellent taste:

Other than that, the vast majority of purchases consist of leather; I’ve thrown in some more knick-knacks - glass, thread, a few cheap books, but the bulk of our coin went on leather bins. The ‘temporary’ storage space for leather has been expanded in summer, and is still overflowing:

(this picture is from next year, after my turn ended; turns out I never took a screenshot when I said I would. Yes, all those bins are with leather).

?? Sandstone. It’s at this time I realize something: I never changed the d_init from SmallHands. That’s why the last migrant(s) have never shown up for me. Since it’s Thursday evening IRL, I take the time to correct this oversight.

Winter.

3rd of Moonstone. The goblins have arrived; still no trolls, but this time it’s a significantly larger siege. Frankly, given our wealth, I’m a bit surprised this was the only month in which they popped up.

Anyway, this means my plans to channel the surface to make a sealed aboveground farm are scrapped. Into the fort we go.

The vast majority of dwarves are hauling ore, smelting ore, or smithing weapons. The exceptions are miners, who are digging exploratory tunnels for ores above the smithy, the three masons who are cutting blocks and furniture above the smithy, the engravers busily smoothing floors and walls, and the leatherworker who’s still making caps and shoes. The tailor has long since ran out of cloth; I have no idea what (s)he’s doing.

Also in the winter, the animals with the lowest stats have been butchered; 22 in total, at least half being turkeys and dogs. Radipon was then asked to make some lavish meals; she’s our best cook after all. And speaking of Radipon, her happiness improved; she’s now under only 4.6k stress; a great improvement especially considering she didn’t have the privilege of churning out masterworks to balm her soul.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 01:41:07 am by StrikaAmaru »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2020, 02:16:42 pm »

Prologue (and non-project events)

My turn begins like all my turns do: with an audit of the fortress I just inherited.

First thing first: review orders. Disable auto-looming (I honestly hate that option; oh ya, let me just exhaust a resource commonly needed for strange moods...)
Except my forts tend to gather a bunch of string that cannot be loomed (hair).

Right under, lies Spriggans’ booze pile, dwarven ‘rooms’, underground farms, and far-too-many stills. And… is that a non-magma forge? And a bunch of jeweller’s workshops? I’m going to guess it was intended for strange moods, but if so it really should be more lock-able than it is. I mark it for deconstruction, along with all other but the jeweller’s in the corner.
..or decorating? Youknow, like the last challenge was supposed to be about? :P

Two levels below, a bunch of rooms. In total, we have 56 individual bedrooms, so there should definitely be more (and I both like and hate the “door in corner” strategy):
I also have a love-hate relationship with this style. But it is reasonably easy to designate and allows good pathing when the stuff is already built. It's not so conducive to place non-pathable stuff or dangerous as decoration though.

And this weird thing:
That's intended to be a tavern. Although somewhat inefficient. Left side was dug in anticipation of running out of dance floor - but not sure if more tables are even needed.

Our ‘temples’; I feel far more coffins will be needed. The mason can provide.
That's pretty much the reason for that mason.

Why is there a random diorite bridge in there? It’s not even connected to the lever above… I’m going to leave it alone unless I need the space.
That bridge has a dark history that ended up not happening in this timeline.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2020, 02:23:01 pm »

Projects

Stairway

Yes, it’s a weird place to start. But, as said before, the stairway defines a fort’s layout.

I’m still not giving up on my standard-issue 3x3, not least because many of my other standard-issue levels depend on it. This is somewhat frustrated by the second cavern, which passes very close to the current 1x1 stair. But worry not, there is a solution:

Smithy.

The new smithy will be carved on level -6, two levels above the existing one.

This is one of my standard smithies, with 7 smelters, 6 forges, 1 kiln and 1 glassworks. In a normal fort, it will be enough for most purposes. NumberCurse is not a normal fort.

In recognition of the challenge, two major changes will be made. Firstly, the smelters are going to be doubled. Secondly, the forge channels will be made dual-purpose: magma will be placed for both forge construction (center-right) and for glassworks/kiln (center-top). Meaning, under the pod (helpfully denoted by the yellow square) the channel looks like this:

Should it ever be necessary to swap forges for kilns or glassworks, you only need to channel one tile and floor over another, and you’ve got a full conversion. Right now though, you’re getting eight spanking new forges:

In addition, there’s a room above, which for now only holds a massive stone stockpile intended to clear the rocks below, and mason’s workshops to cut all that into blocks. All this is temporary, as you can imagine. In the long term, this space can be used for either bar storage, or for ore.

27th Slate. With the last month of spring about to start, the new smithy is about to be finished. The future bar stockpile is happily churning blocks:

The smithy itself is fully cleared of non-ore blocks, and has seen its first two stockpiles related to the challenge: an ore pile, and a bar one, which for the moment takes mica blocks and all metal bars. The entire fort was assigned engraving to finish this asap:

Below, the magma channels are only a few wall blocks away from completion, and this will be done as soon as the three masons carve out some microcline blocks. This smithy will be color-coordinated! My sense of style demands it!

5th Felsite. The lower level is done. Time to punch into the magma sea!

The three smithies get orders like this:

I briefly debate if I want to make my own anvils, or wait for the summer caravan to buy some. I’ve decided to make my own, on the grounds that this is a month-long delay, not counting how long it will take to haul the new anvils all the way down. Plus, there’s a chance I’ll get an invasion instead.

And I think that’s the end of the smithy proper, to be honest. From now on, it will churn bars and weapons on its own. Weaponsmiths and skilled smelters are removed from other jobs, they’re the backbone of this enterprise. Five more dwarves, including ‘myself’, are appointed as weaponsmiths; they can join the smithy as soon as somebody, anybody, makes their new anvils.

24th Hematite. With the trading concluded and the giantess slain, I check on the smithy. I make two observations: setting up 14 smelters was a bit too much, and setting up 8 weaponsmiths was a bit too little. The smelters are eating through ore faster than dwarves can haul it, but forges are going through bars at a much lower rate; enough so that some smelters are becoming cluttered. Doubtlessly compounding the problem, 2 or 3 forges are always unmanned (un-dwarfed?) because weaponsmiths are off doing other stuff, such as drinking, eating, or sleeping.

… why did I never think to make a dining hall by the smithy? That would have saved me time. Luckily, there’s an unused room right above; a bit littered with stone, but we can fix that. Heck, I’ll make a set of larger rooms across the stairs, assigned exclusively to smiths!

I can honestly say I’ve never done something like this before:

Alright then. Time to rebalance the tasks. The greatest time sink available, the ore stockpile, has been disabled. The dwarves thus freed are quickly tasked with cleaning the stone above. Our smelters will make bars until they run out of ore, then be allowed to stop. And everybody in the fort gets weaponsmithing for a month. Yes, everyone. This gives the talented weaponsmiths a chance to go change their clothes, because they hadn’t. And on the level above, excavations proceed.

Malachite: … when suddenly, a wild Spriggans has posted! With a strategy of, and I quote, “25% Swords, 30% X-bows, 40% Hammers, 5% spears”, we are directly competing on swords. Technically, on spears too, but at 5% it’s not really a competition. I wonder if Spriggans will pull a ‘ha, gotcha’ at the end of the challenge, and reveal that when he said ‘swords’ he actually meant maces, and when he said ‘hammers’ he actually meant picks. Or something. I mean really, how many of us downloaded the save to check? I know I haven’t.

And so things carry on, until winter.

Obsidian. The fort is preparing for handover.

In the smithy proper, work has been carrying on. The new constructions are a sand bag stockpile and a small pod above, which was supposed to hold kiln-and-glass related items: glass gems bought from traders, potash and pearlash, maybe even the four rocks that produce gypsum powder (gypsum, alabaster, selenite, and satinspar).

Unfortunately, the stockpiles were filled with random gems and random blocks. Either I managed to run the fort for a moment before setting the stockpile restrictions, or dwarves are stupid. And since I tend to pause the game before setting up stockpiles exactly for this reason, I know who I want to blame.

Oh yes! This is also the site of the only active dumping zone in the fort; it’s right above the single surviving smelter on the right side. It was set up to dump all remaining weapons originating from outside the fort, but it didn’t work; then I forgot to deactivate it or remove it. The stockpile it sits on top of is a melt pile; you can probably figure that out, but I’ll say it anyway.

After the year turned, a single forge in there still works: it’s making copper armor, to level up the fort’s only armorer of any decent skill - a level 6.

Above, the housing project has been long completed, assigned, and smoothed out. The larger rooms are for families, and the small 2x3 ones are for single dwarves. I’ve assigned all furnace workers and weaponsmiths, regardless of skill, and the smoothed out rooms are all occupied. I have neglected to also move the one armorer, the four blacksmiths, and the two metalsmiths, so I can say the housing complex is about as big as it should be. And just to assure you, yes all those who were moved here were removed from the rooms upstairs.

On the right side, the masons still haven’t finished chewing through the stone. Keep in mind they’re removed from anything else, and have been working since spring to make blocks, doors, coffers and other bits of furniture.

Then, we have the unofficial dining hall; it’s not part of any zone, it’s just a bunch of tables and two food stockpiles. And on the right of that, is the Rock of Silver, a metalsmith’s guild holding some artifact figurine as centerpiece:

Above that, there are only mining tunnels. I ran tunnels through the center of embark squares, to make sure I hit any veins. As I noted in year 1, a good chunk of the map doesn’t have ores, but above the smithy there are veins of tetrahedrite, multiple silver ores, and gold.

Surface (and Farming).

These two technically unrelated aspects are getting lumped together, for no other reason than convenience.

Farming gets a harsh review: one of the underground plots gets dismantled, because the light of the Sun fell upon one tile of it, and now DF doesn’t know how to handle it. A temporary cloth stockpile gets made on top of it.

Above, all but the nearest plots are dismantled; the nearest ones are only spared to plant some thread-producing plants. These three are quickly planted with jute, the only one we have seeds for around here; I’d have expected some rope reeds to exist, but they don’t.

(Also featured: the non-sapient corpse stockpile, and a temporary wood stockpile for the carpenter to make some shields and wheelbarrows).

There’s also a bunch of furniture items loose on the surface, mostly beds and bins; I want to get them indoors. For this purpose, I create a stockpile that allows all furniture, except a few: statues, barrels, doors, and sand bags.

Internal fortress structure

23rd of Felsite. On the brink of summer, the miners have dug out the new smithy, a bunch of ore near the smelters, and most if not all of the new staircase. What else is there to do? Why, everything else, of course!

Let's begin with some more rooms for our poor little dwarves. The beds in the dirt layer don’t really count as rooms, do they?

But before I put pick to stone, there are a few things to consider and plan. For instance, there are several layers of more valuable flux stone; chalk from 147 to 144, then marble from 127 to 123 (or possibly from 128 to 117, the associated granite and gabbro layers go between those two). Either of them is ideal for high-value rooms, and the upper chalk level has already been used for this.

Eventually, I settled for a bedroom extension on level 144; 32 small rooms, and 13 larger ones in the back. I’d intend those to be given to families with children, even if DF doesn’t really care about that level of roleplay.

The empty area in the middle is meant for nobles; at a minimum, we should be made barony some time soon.

This particular project was kind of a flop; it was started a whole season before I got the idea to house the smiths and forge workers near the smithy, and half of it turned out to be phyllite not chalk. So much for that juicy flux stone bonus. At the moment it’s unfinished and unoccupied, and there are some 20 dwarves who don’t have rooms; most are children.

The three large rooms are prepared for Spriggans, our future baron.

Moving on. Actual farms and pastures are going to be in layer 148, under the surface. This leaves some room for the farming-related structures in the layers between surface and housing.

On level 147, the turkeys received a proper room. They also get a combined butchery and tannery next to them, and stockpiles for meat and fat, so maybe they shouldn’t rejoice much.

The level under this is untouched; I’m tempted for a plant and/or cloth stockpile here. But this can wait, and so can the dedicated crafting level(s).

24th Hematite. All excavations on the above were completed, and it’s time to build a few walls and floors. Plus, any spot where I intend to make a workshop get smoothed out; at the moment, that’s just the future butchery. Then most digging is done in the smithy, and that is covered in its own dedicated section.

Obsidian. At the end of the year, the area was extended with a refuse stockpile, and associated atom smasher. You can see the completed fat and cooking zones, and the butchery with a bunch of rawhides laying around and rotting, because the fort’s only dumbass tanner elected to go hauling:

Next on the list, is a safe trade depot. In this fort, the trade depot can be a real life-saver, seeing as we don’t necessarily focus on the best interests of dwarves.

So it’s ironic the depot is going to be built to the west, fully inside the resurrecting biome. This is the shortest distance from map edge to the fort, so they can deal with it.

It won’t be done in time for humans, and probably not for the dwarven caravan either, but my theoretical successor will trade in new digs. Literally.

The trade depot airlock was built and sealed during summer; then it sat idle until winter, when miners were free enough to dig the 7-wide tunnel into the bowels of the fort:

Well… mostly; this little area is outside the burrow, and so nobody dug it out before the year ended:

This tunnel sinks two levels before arriving near the crafting level where it ends in a circular room which should have the depot in the middle. I say should, because apparently I dun goofed, and the depot is one tile off:

Lastly, I repeat the link to the save. SAVE.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 03:53:23 am by StrikaAmaru »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2020, 02:31:37 pm »

Except my forts tend to gather a bunch of string that cannot be loomed (hair).

Unless it was changed in this version and I haven't found out, hair can't be used in strange moods :(. The only thing to do with it is to dump it somewhere near a hospital, and hope medi-dorfs will pick it for sutures (happens well enough).

..or decorating? Youknow, like the last challenge was supposed to be about? :P

All right, I'll give you that :P. Actually, studding with metal doesn't use fuel, does it? I'm not sure because I don't use non-magma forges...

That's intended to be a tavern. Although somewhat inefficient. Left side was dug in anticipation of running out of dance floor - but not sure if more tables are even needed.

Well, it's still a tavern, and we haven't run out of dance floor. But on the other hand, there was little idling to be done in this here fort.

That bridge has a dark history that ended up not happening in this timeline.

The notorious child smasher, isn't it? A name that sounds wrong no matter how you interpret it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:51:36 pm by StrikaAmaru »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:32 pm »

Very nice year, Strika !
I'm pleased to be the baron in this timeline :)

I enjoy your building style : everything is large. Lots of "useless" corridors. And the roleplay with larger rooms for families ! It looks cool.

You really went all smithies here. Sounds like your whole fort dedicated to the challenge, this was a nice update to read !

The rooms you made for the smiths, down below were a good idea ! I lost tons of time in the stairs going up/back down, because, as you stated "there is nothing as permanent as a temporary workshop in DF" : so I used year 1's rapidon forges...
Instead, you have 2 "colonies" : one upstairs, the other by the forges... Could be the wining move here.

I feel like you'll beat me on swords. No way I've made 750 obsidian, but we never known...
Nobody picked crossbows yet it looks like  :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:35:33 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »

Nice update Strika, for real, there's so much detail to unpack. I'm gonna take my time to read through it tonight and hopefully start the count, so perhaps tomorrow we'll have the 'official results' for everyone.

Congrats on the kid, Delphonso! I assume you'll be too busy to really dig in to a fortress, but please, check back in with us once you find some time.

. . .

How was the FPS for everyone this round? I'm concerned we're approaching 'unfun' levels of item / pathing lag. I would prefer to have an agile and fun-to-play fortress for competition's sake, so we'll have to appraise it as time goes on.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2020, 12:56:26 am »

How was the FPS for everyone this round? I'm concerned we're approaching 'unfun' levels of item / pathing lag. I would prefer to have an agile and fun-to-play fortress for competition's sake, so we'll have to appraise it as time goes on.
I don't really see a reason we could just retire this location and re-embark? The limited dwarfpower is an interesting limitation imo.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2020, 01:06:52 am »

Abandon and reclaim - all booze barrels empty. Thousands in the nearby hillocks drown.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24