Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29634 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive Succession Game - Round 4 In-Progress - Join Now!
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:11 am »

Sounds like FAKE NEWS, Zultan. Send all the miners to the danger room!

(I probably won't join this round, but I'll be reading. Enjoy, everyone!)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2020, 04:54:13 pm »

Alright, some things I missed:

1. Thanks for posting the save, Spriggans! I forgot to.
2. Military skills DO count, any legendary skill counts. Last I checked upright spike abuse no longer works. IIRC something changed in the calculations for combat damage, and even with highly-skilled dwarves in full armor, the spike will eventually penetrate, leading to injury, and that sort of thing negates the skill gain. I mean, if you actually pull off an effective exploit to train combat skill, that's impressive enough and interesting enough to make for a fun turn. Plus, legendaries are legendaries, blind and crippled or not.
3. Runtime will be 2 weeks with the deadline 11/16/2020 or Monday, Nov. 16th, 2020. I want to give us all time to play out a good turn or two, or at least not feel pressured to finish.
4. As every turn previous, I probably forgot something extremely imbalanced and you crazy fu*ks will find a way to harness and exploit it for the win. So be it!

Honestly, military skills might be worth pursuing, as in my experience a dedicated weapon squad training 24/7 will rise to legendary fighter or observer skill in less than a year.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2020, 01:11:01 pm »

Plus, legendaries are legendaries, blind and crippled or not.

4. As every turn previous, I probably forgot something extremely imbalanced and you crazy fu*ks will find a way to harness and exploit it for the win. So be it!

What do you mean? Round 1 was not so exploity.

Also the OP still says its round 4.

Edit: So, uh, how long does it take from that a dwarf becomes "starving" to that they actually die of starvation? Asking for a friend.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 05:10:55 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »

What do you mean? Round 1 was not so exploity.

Also the OP still says its round 4.

Edit: So, uh, how long does it take from that a dwarf becomes "starving" to that they actually die of starvation? Asking for a friend.

Exaggeration for the sake of it :> I always forgot some detail or another and it was impressive how players would use this to their advantage.

What would an interesting multi-year challenge look like? I was thinking about some kind of 5-year competition on a new fortress. A month to play it. Similar challenges to here, maybe multiple 'bounties' available for different maximums achieved? Like, "Most Wealth Created" or "Highest Cut Gem Count', as simple as that, maybe 7 or 9 depending on the player count. You could even generate them from a list, and end up with strange combinations of goals. Maybe that's too grand-scale for people.. any input from you guys?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2020, 04:28:54 am »

Ehm.. Could you ask this "friend" if our answer might result in unfortunate events, like the citizens of the fortress dropping dead on the second of granite, next year?

*looks at the current fortress population which consists entirely out of applets*  Hmm, if only I knew who this friend might be....) 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:43:36 am by Bralbaard »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2020, 11:34:44 am »

Ehm.. Could you ask this "friend" if our answer might result in unfortunate events, like the citizens of the fortress dropping dead on the second of granite, next year?

*looks at the current fortress population which consists entirely out of applets*  Hmm, if only I knew who this friend might be....)

Friend says that the start of next round will be fair even with the answer.
Friend also asks if dwarves can die of sleep deprivation?

Edit: Oops
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:42:12 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2020, 02:43:32 pm »

Oww.. Friend has a problem..

But at least its comforting for the rest of us that it doesn't say legendary engraver has died x 100

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2020, 03:56:40 pm »

How did your friends' dwarves die of thirst with all this booze we have ??!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:58:42 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2020, 04:41:54 pm »

I might have an idea what happened, but it seems the good old danger rooms are less fatal, and they at least can be switched off. Good timing might solve it, hence my earlier worry about everyone dying on the second of granite next year. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2020, 09:28:36 pm »

My first year has begun.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2020, 08:18:36 am »

2nd try complete. No deaths this time.

This is my dwarf btw. A already-legendary miner.

This happened

Then some slob instantly picked it up and drank prickle berry wine in it..
Ledpaddled

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2020, 03:59:40 am »

Out of curiosity: has anyone tried to export legends for NumberCurse? I tried, and failed; LegendsViewer can't parse the Legends XML correctly (the standard, not the plus).  It produces a parsing error - expects a number but gets a non-numeric string, according to the stack trace.

The export was done with DfHack command, on the original version (year 49, 15th Granite)

[Way later Edit]: the cause of this error turned out to be a little derp by me: I was using an older version of Legends Viewer (the one for 0.47.03, that was pinned on my start bar) and that's why I had this error.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:07:00 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2020, 06:53:53 am »

expects a number but gets a non-numeric string

Ah yes... The Numbercurse.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2020, 07:11:50 am »

:D

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2020, 08:42:51 pm »

expects a number but gets a non-numeric string

Ah yes... The Numbercurse.

:P 

Strika, I was able to successfully export and parse the xml with Legendsviewer. Maybe give it another try? I can upload mine if you want.

I finished my first go, and it was pretty miserable with only 22 legendaries by the end of it. I'm not at all used to playing to win (lol) so I had to get my self up to speed with the workflow of it all. Also, I can confirm - masons, miners, and engravers all gain skill at a slower rate. I attempted to mass-engrave the entire fortress over the course of the year, and the engravers were barely skill 7 by the end of the year. I think you could pull this off with mining.

It's too bad that wood is largely unavailable due to the sieging, since carpentry is so dang fast to level, with the lightweight wood material it cuts down on craft time. I made the mistake of using all the stored wood to legendary the second carpenter, and then I had none left to make wheelbarrows for the stone hauling I was doing. Which was useless anyways lol.

I considered 'removing' the 30+ children that take up legendary slots, however I don't believe I can even approach 70 legendaries in a single year, and the stress gain from their disappearance would slow the remaining seventy.

Time for a second try. Dang, I wish I made a backup of my first moves, since they are almost identical this second go around. .

edit: Mining, even with the modified skill rate, is still effective at leveling dwarves.

I also experienced a crash around late autumn, so make sure to back up those saves.

==================================================

dig dig dig dig dig dig

. . .

3 seasons later
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:52:16 am by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24