Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29642 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive Succession Game - Round 4 In-Progress - Join Now!
« Reply #285 on: November 10, 2020, 02:26:54 pm »

Oooooh, that is really pretty, Salmeuk!

In unrelated news, I finished my play at the end of Sunday, and already sent it to Salmeuk; I am not doing this again, even if I have time. I'll post an overview in the week-end, unless Salmeuk closes the turn faster. I don't have a proper year log, because not much really happened; just a bit of unspectacular digging, and a whole lot of crafting.

And Del, that's a funny pun; wish I'd have thought of it. I did manage to export legends, but from this year's save.

Did you know three of our queen's grandchildren are in the fort?

Also, our civilization, The Stake of Slings, has only been at war with its enemy goblin civilization since year 50. The goblins have started shit, and got their rears very thoroughly kicked. They're also getting occasionally attacked by a human civilization from the other side. I'd say it's a bad time to be goblins, but 1) who cares about them, and 2) goblins tend to survive and thrive in far more hostile conditions.

Here's a part of what happened in year 51 - their attacks are in green, and 'our' retaliation is in red:

I'm still trying to make sense of that attack on NumberCurse - the originating hillock, AtticBraid, still belonged to dwarves in the year 51 (specifically, to the Silvery Figure, a neighboring dwarven civilization occupying the center of the upper continent, east of the Stake of Slings). It wasn't conquered until year 52, and even in year 54 when the export was made, it still only had 65 dwarves in residence, with no other invaders or what have you, despite the other dwarven civ being at war with the same goblins as us, and the hillock still technically owned by the goblins. Plus, there is no warfare registered in that year for that hillock - the first conflict is from 52 when the site was conquered.

(by the way, the most violent civilizations aren't goblins - an elven civ named the Sweet Lilac, off to the south, has that dubious distinction. the goblins of the Contested Menace are a close second, however, and third on the list are the humans of the Union of slings; they're the humans I mentioned above attacking the goblins who're attacking us).

Edit: so remember when I said, when we started making weapons, that it might be necessary to put them in traps to off our undead in the caverns? Well, one of our caverns has an undead blind cave ogre, who killed a forgotten beast, among other creatures. Said FB was risen as well, then killed another FB before getting offed by a jabberer. Just something to keep in mind if we ever conquer the third cavern.

And another thing: remember the giant who popped up a year and a half ago, got unceremoniously killed, and whose corpse is still sitting forbidden on the fort's front lawn? I thought it was a caravan guard who offed her, but no; it was a fortress speardwarf called PraiseLabors.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:53:52 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2020, 03:42:43 pm »

Thanks Strika! And I feel you. This round felt like one of those old-timey logic puzzles with the grids, where Bob lives next to Sally, while Fred owes Ned $50, while the man who drives a green car parks across the street from Sally, and Bob drives a blue car,  and so on and so forth until you have enough inputs to fill out the whole grid w/ information. Anyways, opening up the DFhack labor menu felt a little like signing up for some extra work project or something (I work with spreadsheets).

Luckily my second runthrough is going. . . OK, though I did lose a legendary to a surprise siege. Also the game crash was annoying. Still, all my miners are slotted to reach legendary before year's end, excluding the few who can no longer walk. Hey it's their own damn fault for digging so poorly that they cause a literal avalanche of stone to appear from a single tile of loose rock

Those poor, poor goblins. I looked at the history myself and the elven civ of 'The Sweet Lilac' appear to have been on steroids, they are responsible for a majority of wars in the 50 previous years. Looking closer, it appears a small tribe of gobbos provoked them in year 1, leading the vengeful elves to spend 5 decades invading and pillaging those goblins.

All these goblins getting destroyed, makes you wonder if there's another side to this story. Maybe it's US who are the baddies.

Also of note is that this world contains two dragons, still living, one male and one female. That's potential right there.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2020, 06:32:35 pm »

Edit: so remember when I said, when we started making weapons, that it might be necessary to put them in traps to off our undead in the caverns? Well, one of our caverns has an undead blind cave ogre, who killed a forgotten beast, among other creatures. Said FB was risen as well, then killed another FB before getting offed by a jabberer. Just something to keep in mind if we ever conquer the third cavern.
That blind cave ogre killed half of my workforce in a quickly aborted 1.1 run.

Also crashes really suck the will to play out of you.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2020, 04:23:51 pm »

Still, all my miners are slotted to reach legendary before year's end, excluding the few who can no longer walk.

Make them legendary crutch walkers. Never give up.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »

Still, all my miners are slotted to reach legendary before year's end, excluding the few who can no longer walk.
Make them legendary crutch walkers. Never give up.
Wait, is that the new meta? chop off one leg from everyone and give them a crutch to reach legendary crutchwalker?
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 11, 2020, 04:35:34 pm »

It does level up fast. Just give everybody that had an accident in the danger room a crutch, and you'll be fine.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »

It does level up fast. Just give everybody that had an accident in the danger room a crutch, and you'll be fine.
..can children use crutches?
Ledpaddled

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2020, 06:05:30 pm »

applet immediately thinking dark. I love it.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 12, 2020, 03:08:21 am »

Well he posted this earlier, so I am fully convinced he has been lost to the dark side long ago.
Edit: Oops
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree by the way, the journey to victory this time seems to lead through very dark places.
I will make sure the turkeys are unharmed though. 

Edit: I only started playing now, and I'm running into the exact same, rather unexpected, problem as Applet. How on earth can dwarves be so incompetent?.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:26:41 am by Bralbaard »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2020, 10:51:34 am »

Edit: I only started playing now, and I'm running into the exact same, rather unexpected, problem as Applet. How on earth can dwarves be so incompetent?.

Hohum... considering I never got that issues, I'm wondering if all the booze is forbidden? As in, the actual liquid in the barrels, not the barrels themselves. One of my first actions in the fort was a mass unforbid of everything anywhwere, so that would explain why I didn't have problems.

The counterpoint here is that there's a well with water. Even if booze is forbidden, they should drink water.

My last idea would be access - except the burrow covers both booze and well, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2020, 04:07:19 pm »

This is the "story" of the first run, which ended in tragedy. But the second run was very very similar, and I didn't take many screencaps. There will be some mixing between the runs, but the artifacts (and corresponding skill increases) will not match with the save.

---

Starting out - we have some amount of legendaries already.
They get marked with dfhack batch edit.

Spoiler: Starting legends (click to show/hide)

Bunch of stuff gets reset from the previous player - but apparently not enough, as I get dwarves rushing out into the caverns a bit later. Standing orders to blame - of course.

I take stock of what needs to happen to make the most legendaries - while not killing the fort.

# 1 Train adult dwarves to legendary
# 2 Train child dwarves to legendary OR replace child dwarves with migrants - who hopefully are on the way to a legendary skill to make up for the loss in time.

So what skill to train?

You could of course manage each dwarf individually from their already trained skills. But that's boring micromanagement to me, and we have 1 year - so should be able to do it from 0 xp as well. Provided training and materials for said training can be made or found.

I consider first military skills - should be reasonably easy to train - just pair up everyone to spar. But it seems a bit like gambling on if they actually make it to lvl 15 Fighter (which is the first legendary level). It's probably doable.

I've noticed that the winning submission tends to also be the most useless starting point for the next round - due to pressure to do thing as efficiently as possible. However, what if that idea can be harnessed to guide decisions during the run? Which skills would be the LEAST useful to the next player? Clearly any skill trained to legendary will improve the base stats of the dwarves - so is not wasted. Well. Maybe.

I consider the social skills - pretty useless for the next round, but I cannot think of a reliable and fast way to train those. Hmm.

Scholar skills train too slowly.

Reading? Do we have written works? Not enough I think.

Marksman training is pretty quick with a live target - but does require ammo - and there's no way I could supply ammo and targets for all these lazy non-legendaries.

Appraisal is quick to train, but training material is limited. Record keeping and Organization are of limited use to the next player, but afaik somewhat finiky to train.

Swimming.

Swimming is easy to train. We have water, right? Not in a great place, but a small lake (that turns out to not be flowing) exists in cavern 2 near the staircase.

Digging is designated, 2 levels for flood protection (to not drown any dwarves in the chamber even if the lower is filled to 7).

Drain is made through fortification as is my standard design (This changed to pump-out for the 2nd run).

While I wait for digging, carpenter has mood. We don't have an accessible workshop. I set one up near the wood stockpile, seems like they should go there anyway.

Spoiler: Carpenter mood (click to show/hide)

I order a bunch of flasks and backpacks so that food and drink is close at hand for the legendaries-to-be.

Finally swimming begins.

Spoiler: Swimming (click to show/hide)

Then the enemy comes.

Spoiler: Vile force (click to show/hide)

Doesn't matter, they can rot outside with the undead parrots.

---

So how are things going? Fine. Just fine. What? You want to see? Totally.

Spoiler: Everything's Fine (click to show/hide)

---

Really, it's going great! It's not like so little happens that I'm playing some other game.

Spoiler: See (click to show/hide)

Oh, see, child had a mood! Extra legendary! (Except wrong playthrough...)

Spoiler: Child mood (click to show/hide)

And a human decided to join the swimming party!

Spoiler: Human swimming (click to show/hide)

Now, I'm sure nothing will distract me.

Spoiler: Great stuff (click to show/hide)

And here is where the runs diverge significantly. I tried pushing the swimming all the way to the end, in order to get the last few adults up to legendary swimming. Then everyone dehydrated to death. In water. While having flasks of booze on them. Basically all of them were already legendary swimmers, the non-legendaries were the ones who were late to the party - therefore had recently drunk.

In my second run many had already reached legendary and were discharged to do work around the place, like smoothing stuff or whatever.

Second run also had the goblet I posted earlier.

Spoiler: Final count? (click to show/hide)

Ledpaddled

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »

Ah :-) as you might have guessed because of my dehydration issues is that I've also gone for swimming.
I'm only using it for part of my dwarves though.

I forgot to mention, but Applet Channeltrailed is now Bralbaard channeltrailed and my dwarf. He's easily the most incompetent of the lot (edit: no he was not in hindsight), and is refusing to learn anything at all.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 06:00:19 am by Bralbaard »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2020, 02:42:21 am »

Well, I absolutely bombed this challenge, then :D  I got 39 legendary dwarves total, one as a result of a strange mood (weaver).

I only tried leveling up dwarves in normal jobs; there was also an attempt at making some legendary military dwarves, but after they refused to train until summer, I canceled the attempt and got the lazy bums to haul.

At the start of the year, all of the dwarves below have been removed from any jobs besides the mentioned ones.  For this year, we were in the extremely unusual situation of having the already legendary dwarves do most of the hauling, while the low-skilled ones were either crafting, or training for the military.

- 4 miners, levels 13, 9, 9, and 8 respectively. The level 13 goes first, then the others, one at a time (unless I somehow find them a lot of digging, which I doubt). All four got leveled up.
- 2 carpenters, levels 12 and 10. I have no idea what they'll make; we have enough beds and more than enough barrels. But also see below. Both have leveled up.
- 1 woodcutter who is currently level 7. It's a good question if cutting all available trees will up her level to legendary; I suppose I'll have to find out… If the XP gets generated way faster than expected, there is another woodcutter at level 6 who can join in; these two guys, unlike virtually all the others, will definitely be legendarized in a sequential manner. The original woodcutter has (barely) leveled up, and almost all trees on the surface have been cut.
- 2 masons, currently at levels 9 and 8. One of them leveled up; the other is an infuriating slacker who used his/her removal from all jobs to constantly go in social activity binges. He’s now ~15% of the way to being level 15.
- 2 stone detailers. Everything will be smoothed over. EVERYTHING!! Both have leveled up.
- 1 stonecrafter. This dude is at the lower limit: at level 6 he probably won't make it over the watershed, even if I start him right now. He has leveled up; also, we have microcline & granite crafts for the next decade.
- 7 farmers at levels levels 14, 12, 11, 11, and 8, plus 2 ladies at level 7 who almost didn't make the cut. Actually, my first instinct was to have the level 14 go first; then it occurred to me that unused plots are to my detriment. So all of them will plant in parallel, and the secure above-ground farm will become heavily prioritized. 6 of the 7 have leveled up. The last one was removed in spring; he was also the armorer, and I didn’t notice at first.
- 1 miller at level 6. I'd have ignored him completely, except we also have a dyer with promising upgrade capabilities, and some decent synergy with the farmers above. He didn’t level up; he didn’t even get close - he’s at level 8.
- 1 plant processor, at level 9. She's also the highest ranked plant gatherer, at level 6; this little fact will be completely ignored from now on, and so will plant gathering as a whole. She leveled up, and then kept going until she reached level 17; plant thread & leaves for days.
- 1 brewer, at level 8. Didn't think anyone would make booze for the next decade, but here we are. She didn’t level up, has bogged down at level 13.
- 1 cook at level 4. She wouldn’t have made the cut, except: 1. she’s Radipon and 2. we’ll have some nice synergy with farmers, plant processors, butchers and millers. She didn’t level up, and is only at level 10; great progress, but nowhere near enough :(
- 1 tanner at level 13. I have no idea if we’ll have enough beasts for tanning, of all skills, to go up, but then again, why not try? She didn’t level up; and not for lack of trying either. I culled all animals of lower stats, and also bought all caged animals from traders; this did result in just enough XP to make her a level 14 and a half.
- 2 furnace operators, both at level 8. They’ll be relegated to the basement, making bronze and steel bars, and melting all sorts of subpar items. Both have leveled up.
- 2 weaponsmiths, levels 13 and 11. Bet ya thought there won't be any more weaponsmithing round here… They’re not doing anything, though, until we develop a decent stock of bronze and steel.  Both have leveled up.
- 1 armorer, currently at level 6. Dude was banging out copper armor since last year, and had very little to show for it; I hope he’s going to do better. I also hope he never gets selected for a strange mood, ‘cause he’s also a level 12 blacksmith; this was ignored because I need armor. He leveled up, and then kept going but with better materials.
- 1 weaver at level 3 (the only tailor in the fort is already legendary).I thought I’d get him to weave the entire year, but he leveled up as a result of a strange mood at the start of summer.
- 1 dyer at level 13. Time to plant some dimple cups! She leveled up.
- 1 mechanic at level 5. She didn’t level up; she’s currently at level 13; and injured, which I’m sure didn’t help her speed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:18:00 am by StrikaAmaru »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2020, 04:13:02 am »

I believe non-production skills are better.
You two went for swimming. I would have gone for pump-operator ! Because I always wanted a Shadok fortress  :P

EDIT : It looks like we'll have a fort full of swimmers in an almost waterless map... In old NumberCurse fashion, the least useful fort will be passed over to the next generation ! Huzza !
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:24:45 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2020, 04:33:18 am »

I believe non-production skills are better.
You two went for swimming. I would have gone for pump-operator ! Because I always wanted a Shadok fortress  :P
Swimming is less setup (for mass training) and can be forced on sleeping/dehydrated/starving dwarves. Pump operator is less management though, theoretically.

EDIT : It looks like we'll have a fort full of swimmers in an almost waterless map... In old NumberCurse fashion, the least useful fort will be passed over to the next generation ! Huzza !
Tell the ~10 drowned goblins in the bottom right of the map on my first run that.
I think they had a run in with some parrots while in the little pond that supplies the well..
Ledpaddled

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24