Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29583 times)

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
Re: Salmeuk's Community Competition - Welcome to Numbercurse!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 07:26:00 pm »

I'm definitely creating more sculpture gardens in my future games.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:48:18 pm by Radipon »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 03:34:44 pm »

Not feeling particularly inspired to write anything. Here's a collection of screencaps that may or may not make much sense.
Edit: Updated with captions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:13:36 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:25 pm »

Played out a magma-fueled run. It didn't produce as many statues as the charcoal run due to some food/drink/ore hiccups, but I think barring that magma and charcoal are neck and neck in a one year time frame. Trying again tomorrow with foreknowledge of magma sea to see if it can match up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:09:23 pm by Radipon »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 01:46:56 am »

Nicely done everyone! Just under 55 hours remain to submit your final turn, and I request that you clearly state which save you would like me to count as your 'final' score.

Played out a magma-fueled run. It didn't produce as many statues as the charcoal run due to some food/drink/ore hiccups, but I think barring that magma and charcoal are neck and neck in a one year time frame. Trying again tomorrow with foreknowledge of magma sea to see if it can match up.

I'm enjoying this notion greatly, that bit coal and wood burning can actually keep up with the infinite resource that is magma! At least for this first year. Also, aren't sculpture gardens rad?

Not feeling particularly inspired to write anything. Here's a collection of screencaps that may or may not make much sense.

No words needed. I find it hilarious that Deduk suddenly dropped everything and thought to himself, "Gosh, I really like my pants!", rather than his pickaxe or something.

I'm planning on doing a recap on everyone's saves, kind of an 'outside observing attempting to piece together the internal logic of what went on' style of journal, so people will get a chance to peer into just what occurred in the first year.

Oh, and I should request that those of you interested in playing the second round, please PM me or post here, so I can begin to get an idea of how many we will have. I might do some more advertising.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 03:07:35 am »

Count me in for the next round.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 04:23:49 am »

I'm enjoying this notion greatly, that bit coal and wood burning can actually keep up with the infinite resource that is magma! At least for this first year.
Only really because magma is down at the bottom of the world in this embark.

I would also make the case that A) you can combine both approaches, start with wood, when miners become not overloaded they can dig down. B) If you know where the coal ores are, this is an attractive alternative. C) Magma at the bottom of the world makes one want to build the entire fort down there, which likely means crops, which means irrigation, which takes time. I guess you could bring helmet snakes or similar to get the food down, then only booze is a problem. Gathering in the caverns, maybe? Hmm.

No words needed. I find it hilarious that Deduk suddenly dropped everything and thought to himself, "Gosh, I really like my pants!", rather than his pickaxe or something.
Indeed. Also added captions.

Also I found it interesting that you didn't put in any medical skills on an evil embark xD
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »

Summer
Savescum count: one full restart - spring has been played twice, from start to end, and won’t be played a third time because I genuinely don’t think I can improve.

----------

This season begins with two main priorities: to finish our smithy, and to get a decent number of migrants; the savescum counter is bound to increase.

The extant dwarves are easy to account for: close to the surface, the farmer is kept from rock hauling duty only by the 10 plump helmets to harvest, and 20 summer seeds to plant. The mason is busy cutting blocks from the fort’s only magma-safe stone so far - a bit of mica found near the surface. Then she’ll descend to the smithy, to build and use our first smelter.

The two miners are set to digging the tetrahedrite vein on level -4. Kol the smith was removed from all jobs except the obvious; he has to build a forge, then he’ll use the bars produced by the mason; besides the obvious, I’m angling for some picks and anvils; there’s a limonite vein nearby on the surface, and as soon as miners stop to eat or drink, I will prioritize it for them to carve.

Lastly, two dwarves are stone haulers, slowly filling up the ore stockpile at the bottom of the world.

17th Hematite. Migrants have arrived, right as the summer started, and it’s… kinda fine?

Four children and five mostly-unskilled adults have spawned in the north-western corner of the map, well away from the four zombies in the south-west. The children are the obvious argument to save-scum, especially since none of them is going to grow up anytime soon; the oldest is 8 years old, and the youngest 3. On the other hand, they’ve all arrived very early, and 5 new haulers are good enough.

All have made it indoors, without incidents. I should take this time to move some wood indoors… but I think I’ll save the fort here, and use my save-scumming privileges.

Savescum #2: (Dropping: 1st Hematite to 22nd Hematite).

The world gets reset, and all the stockpiles and job assignments are lost. Derp. After re-doing all of them, I apply my newly-acquired hindsight to quicksave the fort. Then it’s nothing but the wait.

17th Hematite. Guess who. They’ve come from the south-west this time, and they are lucky that the flock of undead parrots is no longer there.

That said, their luck will not hold. Two children, one fisher, and one peasant with not a single skill to his name. Die.

Savescum #3. (Dropping: 1st Hematite to 19th Hematite).

Blah blah blah, 17th of Hematite. Again. For the autumn, I’ll make my savepoint before the season turns, there’s no way this is a coincidence. Once again, the crop of migrants is inferior to the first batch - there were 4 children and 3 peasants. I’m beginning to wonder if I should go back to the first save. Die.

Savescum #4. 17th of hematite. It’s only better compared to the disaster of savescum 2: one child and 3 adults of at best adequate skills. Still gets the axe. Die.

Savescum #5. The migrant wave has 4 adults and one child; one of them is a legendary  weaponsmith. Besides that, there’s a woodcutter, a skilled mechanic, a beekeeper who’s really out of luck, and the child who’ll turn 12 next year, in Granite. The weaponsmith is really tempting, but… what am I supposed to do with him? I stare at the screen for a few seconds, then make my decision. Die.

Savescum #6 Are you kidding me? Die.

Savescum #7 Holy sweet mother of… Quicksave!

Seven new dwarves, doubling my working population. To really put the cherry on top, the legendary weaponsmith from savescum #5 is included in this wave. Welcome to NumberCursed, Cerol! I’ll ask you to make some picks, soon.

I appoint 4 furnace operators and 4 miners, total; they won’t do much until the ore stockpile is full, but with the wheelbarrows that’ll happen quickly.

The smithy arrangement is 3 smelters and one forge, soon to be 2 forges. Probably, because I have no idea who’ll man it. I decided it’s best to build some backup stock before really kicking off the industrial process.

26th Hematite. Cerol is asked to make 3 copper picks. I’m briefly tempted to line up more weapons, but then I remember what the goal of this challenge is. My successors, if any, can go crank out their own masterwork weapons.

Then, the statues are lined up (I wish I could say Kel has rushed in and made the fort’s first statue, but he was busy drinking at the time).

And a new DfHack command gets used: Workflow. Not for the limits and such, but because of cancellation protections - I want the finicky statue designations to remain in the forge when I temporarily run out of bars.

3rd of Malachite. Made the first statue.

5th. The statue was built, in the smithy itself; the rest will go into the dug-out vein, because I sure as hell won’t bother with making a dedicated space for them - unless Salmeuk asks for it.

Also, the ore stockpile is full, there are 5 idlers, and the only living creature on the surface is one zombie pangolin. With the haulers somewhat freed and the surface somewhat safe, I unlock the hatch for some wood. It’ll be needed for beds if nothing else.

6th of Galena. Poults have hatched; they’re a bit cramped:

The miners, by the way, have long finished digging the known veins, and have been carving exploratory tunnels near the smithy. There's a chance I'll break into the cavern, but yeah whatever.

We found out the western side is a barren wasteland, full of diorite but no ores or even varied rocks. The eastern half holds tetrahedrite and galena, which you’ve seen already, and native silver and cassiterite, that you haven’t. Plus there’s iron ore near the surface, but that’s 200 tiles away and I won’t bother digging it, outside of what I needed for anvils.

The miners have been digging something else, too:

On level -4 above the smithy I’ve made a small dining room, and will soon make a small temple. I should perhaps also pay some attention to the looming caravan, but… do I really want to?

… nah. For what is very likely the first time in all my days of playing Dwarf Fortress, the caravan will be ignored. Honestly, even elves don’t get that kind of disrespect; at the very least, I’d use their arrival to clean the fortress of loose clothing.

Autumn has arrived; the smithy looks like this:

I’ve thought better about building statues in the vein, and dug out a 21x11 area for them. I’ve also constructed that second forge, at the very end of summer. Cerol the legendary weaponsmith will take a third job in this fort, after creating picks and smelting whatever.

All statues are made from copper, silver, and lead. Presumably, tin will follow after more of it will be brought back into the stockpile.

Two levels higher, lay the most pathetic temple and inn that I have ever seen, let alone make:

I did see worse guilds, though.

Our objective so far:

The fort is running like the proverbial well-oiled machine: 2 blacksmiths, 3 smelters, 4 miners, and 5 haulers. I doubt I’ll bother savescumming any further for the autumn migration wave.

------------------------

Savescum count: 7 - one full season restart for spring, 6 migrant optimizers (though technically only the last had any effects). Other DfHack commands I’ve used: die, quicksave, dig vein, and workflow. Wonderful, wonderful, workflow.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »

Autumn

16th of Limestone. The outpost liaison and the caravan have arrived. The liaison was allowed in; the caravan is left on the map edge, to fend for itself; there are only a handful of parrots on the surface, they’ll be fine.

22nd. The workflow isn’t that well organized after all; the haulers have been building statues and beds, and haven’t had any time to refill the ore stockpile. Seems I need the autumn wave after all… and I neglected to make a save before season change, like I intended, so now I’m stuck with whatever date they’ll be coming on. Eh, whatever.

23rd. And right as I finish talking with the outpost liaison, the migrant wave arrives. Two adults, another bloody child, and no animals. As I’ve said, I’m keeping them.

Our farmer gets to do a little side-job which isn’t technically needed right now: brew all plants. At 92 drinks, we’re not going to have enough until spring, and the old hands have started complaining of the “same old booze”. There’s no need to keep plants in the stockpile, right?

8th Sandstone. Aw, fuck.

If Kel wants any sort of thread we are so fucked! Well not really, I’ll savescum to the start of autumn, but it’s the thought that matters. Or something like it.

Kel claims the forge next to the one he was already using (RIP statue orders) and… immediately begins construction, from a single copper bar? Okay then.

12th sandstone.

It menaces with spikes of copper, and nothing else. Fine, I guess.

I think I’ll do something utterly pointless: I’ll extend the dormitory from the smithy and build this bed as the one from which the dormitory will be defined. Conversely, the first dormitory from the top will be dismantled, so I can get the 6 beds I need for a 4x4 dormitory. Like I said, pointless.

On the same day, a bunch of combat reports - the undead grey parrots have found the merchants, and tried to assault them. Caravan guards chew through them; the macedwarf is especially effective.

14th. Blessed be workflow! The 3 statue orders have not been cancelled after all! Now Kel can cough up masterpiece statues of Vesh.

3rd Timber. It took me this long to realize that, with the new legendary +3 blacksmith, my statue production will now go through the roof. I quicksave the fort, and shelve any notions of any further savescums. This is, beyond doubt, as good as it gets.

6th & 7th Timber. A new batch of poults have hatched. We now have 85 animals, only 7 of which are not turkeys. I’ll have to move them somewhere, and allow the nestboxes for egg collection.

… screw it, I’ll move them in the dug-out limonite vein.

After the digging is done, the same trick with the active meeting area is used. It promptly doesn’t work, because the mothers of the poults are in the old area, sitting pretty on their nest boxes. The babies keep travelling between the meeting area and their mothers. I have to pasture the parents manually, and hope the poults will follow.

I’ll get the other animals pastured in the old area, though.

Apropos of nothing, two of the children will grow up in the next year; for the rest, my successor is out of luck. Still, having 3 children in the fort isn’t that bad, is it?

21st of Timber. All statue designation besides copper have cancelled out, so I guess it’s time to look at the bars we have; I wanted to keep that for the start of winter.

So, gold, tin, and iron. All right then. Should make a fine addition to my collection:

---------------

Savescum count and DfHack commands remain the same as in summer.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 03:53:07 pm »

Winter

At the start of winter, the ‘statue garden’ is being expanded; I have nearly filled the existing space, and I have some 30 unbuilt statues.

3rd Obsidian. Oh for crying out loud. How many moods do you get in the first year, again?

10th Obsidian. Etur is in deep shit. She wants some sort of cloth, of some type we don’t have. Our friend showmood points me toward yarn cloth:

If she’s very lucky, elves will arrive in the spring with some wool thread or even cloth. If not, she’s getting walled in.

On the 15th of Obsidian, all smelters are shut down. Furnace operators are moved to building furniture.

On the 26th, the forges follow. Even if they’d crank out a coupla more statues, there would be no time to build them.

On the 28th, I am done.

To my unbelievable annoyance, some of these statues are not of Vesh. Now I have to go through the entire stock to look for them. I suppose I forgot to {d}etail?

Anyway, there are only 14 such interlopers (10 silver and 4 copper). I don’t think I forgot anything after all; it’s just that dwarves rebelled against my orders. Still, 337 statues.

There’s still a good number of gold bars in the smelters, too.

That would be my entry, and there’s nothing left to do but let the year roll over. Do please keep in mind the outpost liaison is still kicking up dust in the upper levels, and that poor Etur is still under a strange mood that she can't complete.

[Edit] Forgot to screenshot the surface, and now I changed the raw file too:

----------
The save. It has the standard raw file, but I also included the Phoebus one. If anybody wants it, you're two folder renames away from using full Phoebus.

Savescum count: 7 - one full season restart for spring, 6 migrant optimizers (though technically only the last had any effects). Other DfHack commands I’ve used: die, quicksave, dig vein, workflow, and lately showmood.

END
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 03:59:31 pm by StrikaAmaru »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »

Well, that's my one pretty thoroughly beaten.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 12:40:18 am »

It belatedly occurs to me I maybe should have censored the number of statues, so I don't 'convince' people to abort their turns...  and since this has been up for nearly 12 hours, now it's probably too late. Something to keep in mind for later.

Play time was heavily weighted towards Saturday, as expected. Monday evening I played all of spring; was pretty excited about the whole thing, tbh, so I just sat down from 7Pm to 11PM and belted out the report you know. Then Tuesday morning I did the replay of spring, where I shaved off 2 weeks from smithy building. Then I never even turned on the fort until Thursday and Friday evening, where I did the summer savescums. Saturday I played everything from Hematite 19-20th to end.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 02:38:10 am »

Yeah, holy crap! 337 (or thereabouts?!) Savescumming to get that legendary blacksmith seems to have been the winning move there. And your use of workflow is potentially important to note, as well.

There are two entries I have yet to receive (NordicNoob and Applet), and if someone is crazy enough to restart tonight, they could potentially shoot for the known goal of 338 statues. I guess it's up to the competitors, but I'd say StrikaAmaru has a fair chance at winning this first round. Which means our fort might be equipped with some highly skilled smith-dwarves come year 2.

Waiting for those final saves. Thanks again everyone!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:44:29 am by Salmeuk »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2020, 03:41:43 am »

Heh, small point of order: I savescummed to get the summer migrant wave for hauling; the strange mood was pure dumb luck.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2020, 05:04:07 am »

Legendary blacksmith is definitely a superb asset for this challenge, my most skilled blacksmith reached only Master in the end.
That being said I was limited by bar availability during late autumn early winter - the major cause being DFs magical job priority algorithm. (And my lack of preemptively managing it)

Come to think of it, I probably could have shut down wood smelting in favor of ore hauling and statue placing.

Another thing in this optimization challenge is the weight of the statues themselves, here it seems that zinc would be preferable (or aluminium).

Did anyone use zinc for their statues?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:40:50 am by applet »
Ledpaddled

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 05:23:40 am »

Hey I'm just enjoying having some sort of goal/scenario to work with. If it makes me dig into dfhack more, even better.

Did anyone use zinc for their statues?

About 1/3 of my charcoal run used zinc as that's the second closest ore to the wagon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24