Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29501 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive - Round 6 In-Progress - Most Caged Undead Wins!
« Reply #345 on: December 30, 2020, 02:54:35 am »

Hey all,

After reviewing this last scoring method I found it to be rather uninspiring, and while some of you might have a round in progress, I am inclined to call Numbercurse complete. At least, until myself or one of you returns to the idea of competition in DF. As it stands, my interest in DF has waned over the course of winter. I plan to make a new thread after a few months have passed, depending on the status of the graphical release. I'll PM people when that happens, especially if you reply here and request to be informed about future competitions. Recon, I'll note those ideas down for a future competition...

Thanks to all who participated, it was quite a bit of fun to see people tackle my strange challenges. And honestly you guys did most of the heavy lifting when it came to theorycrafting. If you happened to be playing the final scoring round, feel free to post your exploits, otherwise,

the curse has been lifted. Begone, minion of the dark witch! To hell with you!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted
« Reply #346 on: May 17, 2023, 05:12:02 am »

so I reviewed the various "goals" for each round of Numbercurse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So. All in all, the most successful goals were simple ones, like "produce or collect the MOST of something". Training legendaries resulted in hundreds of pump operators... the more complex ones were kind of silly I admit.

One possibility for a potential "Numbercurse 2" would be to use a perchance generator to produce the goals for each round.

So - if anyone is reading this post and might consider joining a similar competitive DF succession game, or would enjoy seeing it happen, chime in and we can plan further details.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted
« Reply #347 on: May 17, 2023, 07:09:53 pm »

Aye, there's something to simplicity - in my own ruminations on how I'd run it, I kept going back to simpler and simpler challenges (i.e., "improve the fort's military" -> "fastest to train a legendary fighter" -> "whoever gets the dwarf with the highest kill-count wins"). Ideally, the challenge itself should be simple, to allow multiple ways to accomplish that goal, which is where the fun and variety comes in. Switching between "fastest to do X" and "most X by the end of the year" is a good way to change things up as well.

Previous rounds should be taken into account. The weapon-smithing round is one that sticks out in my memory. It was tough but fun, but was pretty same-y because the Vesh statue round had already setup magma smelters (and meltable statues nearby).

Likewise, how easy it is for the players to check their progress is important. The new happiness bar (like the DFHack happiness bar) is a great example. A round where the goal is to make as many dwarves blissed out as possible is easy to keep track of, because the info is always on the screen. The booze round benefited from this slightly as well.

Also, just for playability sake - I think there should be some sort of housekeeping round every once in a while (either done by the gamemaster, or done as an actual round) just to clean up the FPS, the happiness, provide food, etc.

Either way, I'm very happy to run a Numbercurse 2 - even with a new host of players.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]