Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29605 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salmeuk's Community Competition - Welcome to Numbercurse!
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2020, 01:24:49 am »

so is that a 'yes', I will be playing? lol

I swear, anytime you try to host a basic online competition, some rule hound will come out of the woodwork and confound your expectations of "reasonable interpretation." It's why I wasted like an hour trying to code-ify the rules in the OP. So I think it's only fair you wasted your own time as well.

I do not think I will have the time this week. The concept for this succession game is just too good to ignore however, and I'm certain I'll join at some point in the next weeks.
Just to downplay any expectations, the idea of this succession game is completely opposed to my normal play style. I do not even use the job manager in my games, and I'm usually just fast forwarding stuff at high fps, waiting for children to grow up. (playing multi-generation games with no migrants and low population caps).
About the reasonable interpretation; there was the specific invitation in that rule to try and game it, and I actually thought you might have taken my approach into account. I'll try and be a bit less of a fraudulent swindler during any future attempts  ;D.

I will be counting the barrels and pots that contain any amount of booze, and not the individual units of booze. There might be a way to game this!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:13:05 am by Bralbaard »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heavily abridged fortress report: I've played spring last two evenings, and I'm profoundly disappointed:

- as a rule everything is ridiculously slow.
- the dwarf I wanted to appoint as broker fecked off during the whole trade period, leaving some rando to get that sweet, sweet point in Appraisal.
- and lastly, the migrant wave has arrived extremely late (2nd of Felsite, thanks a lot), and ended up having an absurd number of children - over 1/3rd of the fort is unavailable for work. I don’t count the baby, s/he was born to a woodcutter right as the migrants have arrived.

Between the stupid-huge number of children and the extremely late arrival of migrants, I will perform the fort’s first reset. I’ll revert to Radipon’s save, and hope that the migrant arrival date is NOT set already.

As always, Saturday is my dwarf day.

Commands used so far: prospect (without any reveal, as agreed) and getplants. This was used to mark trees for cutting, and will be used again.

Ooof, those children. Make sure you are all using my init settings listed here (you might have missed these Spriggans!):

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177212.msg8190078#msg8190078

Do you think we should maybe lower childcap? If so, give your opinion in the thread. I had not specified it in the above settings, but it would be nice if everyone was on the same page re: child and birth caps. I'm thinking 0 and 0 for both, for the sake of the competition, and then you guys will have to figure out how to 'deal' with the present population of air-wasting children.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:02:35 pm by Salmeuk »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh hello elves. I see you brought booze.

Hmm...

What do you mean the booze tastes like coal?

I don't think this went the way the ettin expected...

Do you think we should maybe lower childcap? If so, give your opinion in the thread. I had not specified it in the above settings, but it would be nice if everyone was on the same page re: child and birth caps. I'm thinking 0 and 0 for both, for the sake of the competition, and then you guys will have to figure out how to 'deal' with the present population of air-wasting children.

Children arent completely useless right now though, they can harvest plants. But eh.

Update:
First run complete
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now time to up the ante
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:59:11 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yo this is gonna be a b*tch to count at the end..

Alright folks you saw the post: We're looking at 1000+ for the baseline score. Applet is determined to take the second round - will you stand by and let that happen?

108 hours remain (7:00am Wednesday, 09/30/20)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

@Salmeuk: I'm definitely using the d_init specified... and now I notice there's no setting whatsoever about children - BABY_CHILD_CAP is missing entirely. And so is POPULATION_CAP, as opposed to strict popcap.

Luckily for me, I've only played a measly 10 days in the year. I'll add:

[POPULATION_CAP:80]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:10:100]

From what I remember, these were the settings I used in DF2012. I stopped changing them in higher versions, since now dwarves have the opposite problem - almost nobody is ever married, and it's damn near impossible to get internal growth in a fort.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Applet is determined to take the second round
Not so sure about that, mostly curious just how gulagly effective you can do this

since now dwarves have the opposite problem - almost nobody is ever married, and it's damn near impossible to get internal growth in a fort.
I would rather say, almost nobody gets married in a fort, but migrating couples come in all the time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:26:43 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

First attempt complete. Savescum count: one.

Currently doing a second run, in the hopes the Caravans bring something other than wood and useless trinkets. Not sure how many booze-barrels there are, though, and stocks isn't really helping due to only showing how many units of booze there are, and not how many barrels full of it.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

stocks isn't really helping due to only showing how many units of booze there are, and not how many barrels full of it.

If you use DFhack you can use the extended stocks ('e' in the stocks screen), then search for "wine barrel (" or "beer pot (" etc. Toggle off grouping of similar items, then read the line count. total up the different searches and you should get something reasonably close. This relies on that most of your items are in the stockpile though.

beware that order in the search is not enforced, so "beer pot (" will also match sweet POTato BEER barrel (ashen).

But honestly, stockpile geometry is probably easier, then just run your cursor over to check for empties.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:42:49 am by applet »
Ledpaddled

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

Well this was weird...

I had the exact same migrant wave.

That's curious... either migrant waves don’t care about child caps (which contradicts previous experience), or the wave was somehow decided before the 10th of Granite, when I set the child cap (which also contradicts previous experience).

For the sake of science (not !!SCIENCE!!, it's all quite reasonable and nothing is on fire), I've decided to play one more spring, back from Radipon's save, this time with an even more drastically reduced cap: [BABY_CHILD_CAP:5:50]. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this third playthrough, it's more experimental than optimizing, but if I get decent migrants then I will.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I THINK that DF rolls the month (or seasons?) events on the first day then rolls then out on you. That could include migrant waves.

This is real shaky, though. Old ideas from old posts. No idea of the factual content there.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

If you use DFhack you can use the extended stocks ('e' in the stocks screen), then search for "wine barrel (" or "beer pot (" etc. Toggle off grouping of similar items, then read the line count. total up the different searches and you should get something reasonably close. This relies on that most of your items are in the stockpile though.

I see, and I've got the total for my attempt. Thanks for the advice!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I THINK that DF rolls the month (or seasons?) events on the first day then rolls then out on you. That could include migrant waves.

This is real shaky, though. Old ideas from old posts. No idea of the factual content there.

This is my understanding too. If you change popcaps, they only take effect the next season, or rather, the next time the game calculates potential migrant counts.

stocks isn't really helping due to only showing how many units of booze there are, and not how many barrels full of it.

beware that order in the search is not enforced, so "beer pot (" will also match sweet POTato BEER barrel (ashen).

But honestly, stockpile geometry is probably easier, then just run your cursor over to check for empties.

This will be super helpful for checking my counts later, thank you!

This competition is turning out to be a great test of our game knowledge, as the parallel play is uncovering all sorts of potential !!SCIENCE!!. For instance, did anyone else get an Ettin? Or was that exclusive to applet?

@Salmeuk: I'm definitely using the d_init specified... and now I notice there's no setting whatsoever about children - BABY_CHILD_CAP is missing entirely. And so is POPULATION_CAP, as opposed to strict popcap.

Luckily for me, I've only played a measly 10 days in the year. I'll add:

[POPULATION_CAP:80]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:10:100]

From what I remember, these were the settings I used in DF2012. I stopped changing them in higher versions, since now dwarves have the opposite problem - almost nobody is ever married, and it's damn near impossible to get internal growth in a fort.

Awesome. I will update the official .init settings for the next round, but for now, consider it up to personal preference.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

No Ettin on my end, but I didn't export much beyond a few statues. Was definitely over the pop count for triggering an attack, though.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is my understanding too. If you change popcaps, they only take effect the next season, or rather, the next time the game calculates potential migrant counts.

I've started a second run, with 0 for both child caps.. But still got 3 migrant children in during summer wave, despite setting the cap at 1 granite. Unsure what any of that means.
Ledpaddled

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've started a second run, with 0 for both child caps.. But still got 3 migrant children in during summer wave, despite setting the cap at 1 granite. Unsure what any of that means.

Same thing. Essentially, exactly as Spring hit, the game pulled the settings from .init and determined the migrant wave for the summer season. Now that you have the setting at '0', Autumn should have 0 children migrating, unless I am totally mistaken.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24