Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29598 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Salmeuk's Community Competition - Welcome to Numbercurse!
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2020, 06:26:20 am »

Great job, applet! I'm honestly intrigued by how close coal- and magma-based approaches are; I'd have expected magma to be substantially better. You may be entitled to some bonus points on account of the no-savescum achievement too... though if we start rewarding that, it just adds perverse incentives for people to not admit to savescumming.

As for zinc, I haven't used it; I was digging in entirely the wrong levels. I did use tin, though, and even so it didn't really matter, because I built statues as close to the smelter as possible. Any weight differences just didn't have time to crop up (which is good, considering my 54 lead statues).

Salmeuk, congratulations on the idea and on starting this whole insanity. I don't think I've ever been so enthusiastic about DF ever since 0.42.1 introduced the fancy trees.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2020, 07:02:36 am »

Another thing in this optimization challenge is the weight of the statues themselves, here it seems that zinc would be preferable (or aluminium).

Very good point, this one. Frankly, I'm going to have my work cut out for me coming up with the next scoring item, this metal statue thing seemed to be a very good balance of difficulty and feasibility.

As the years pass onward, we are going to run into the other side of this challenge; dealing with the poor design choices of previous winners, lack of food or military, the fact that we will be using up all the easily accessible resources in these early rounds, and the general sense of chaos that seems to accumulate in any succession fortress.

Salmeuk, congratulations on the idea and on starting this whole insanity. I don't think I've ever been so enthusiastic about DF ever since 0.42.1 introduced the fancy trees.

I've been thinking up this kind of thing for about a year now, but it's only working because you guys volunteered! So, thank you!! I think DF is more enjoyable when you are highly-motivated to accomplish some public-facing goal, and I'm glad this kind of competition is proving fruitful.

Alright, I'm sending the final submission warning out today. Get yer final scores in now! Nice work applet breaching the 300+ mark (honestly, waaaay more than I thought was possible in the first year).

I am planning to begin round two this Wednesday, 9/23/20, giving me time to double-check the scoring and write some quick fortress summaries. I will PM all interested parties the day before as a reminder, so please explicitly 'opt' in so I know who to keep track of.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:10:31 am by Salmeuk »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 08:26:54 am »

Tested my theory on coal ores (not meant as a competition entry, mind you)

Start of winter (3 months to go)

This was done with reveal though
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In large part possible due to the copious amount of booze and food, so the early game can be used to make progress (and skill up the relevant skills) instead of frivolous food production.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:40:22 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 08:55:15 am »

Yeah, I did another magma run that cracked out 322 statues. Way overproduced on food and had a ripple when i didn't notice that the gray ores were tetrahedrite. Too bad I thought the deadline was the end of today.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:58:54 am by Radipon »

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 02:05:41 pm »

347 statues of vesh
19 statues of other things that I didn't catch for a week, all forbidden and dumped
1 Artifact Gold Cabinet

This is my best attempt so far. Savescummed once for a good migrant wave but never had any useful strange moods. At the very end a blacksmith got possessed. I ran the fort like a gulag; straight to magma with a dormitory and nothing else. Drinks are depleted, food is unknown, and both original miners died of infections or poison from an undead bushmaster. There was just enough metal to produce statues all the way to 12-25. Thereafter, I queued up a farm plot and some plant gathering orders. The fort is in no way in peril, but there are a lot of open needs and all food/drink production is outdoors.

Save File
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:10:08 pm by Radipon »

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 03:27:35 pm »

Yeah, I won't be able to submit this week, I had less time than I expected.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 06:11:38 am »

I ran the fort like a gulag; straight to magma with a dormitory and nothing else. Drinks are depleted, food is unknown, and both original miners died of infections or poison from an undead bushmaster. (...)  The fort is in no way in peril, but there are a lot of open needs and all food/drink production is outdoors.

Year 2 is gonna be a bitch ! I love that.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 07:34:56 am »

The upshot is that most of the limonite is untouched and bituminous coal is available for steel.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 07:38:43 am »

It is also a question if the rules will allow tossing all those statues in the smelter in the second year. That is possibly the easiest accessible metal right now.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 08:56:35 am »

Thanks to all who participated. Here I will catalogue the entries and show off noteworthy elements of each! Please note these are not meant to be criticisms of any person, I simply adopted the tone of a neutral sports commentator who might be a little drunk.

===

Quantum wins the "Benevolent Overseer" award, for a general sense that one could actually live in his fortress and not, like, be depressed or whatever.
===

Applet wins the "Scrooge McDuck" award for his work with platinum, the heaviest but most expensive material.

===

Ah, how sweet! Certainly a friend to animals this one. Strika wins the "Variety" award, for his use of all kinds of metal. As well, for his close second place score, the "Runner-Up of the First" award.

===

Radipon has won the "Gulag" award, for obvious reasons. He has also earned the glorious title of "Winner of the First Round", and will be allowed to keep his titled dwarf into the next year of competition. Should this dwarf meet some terrible end at the hands of some other competitor, well, it's certainly not my job to keep track of these things. . .

===

Congratulations Radipon! Glory to the Winner!

================

Please please please don't forget to sign up for round 2! So far I only have an affirmative from Quantum, though I assume the rest of you are interested. Again, I am only particular about this so I can keep track of things on my end.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:06:31 am by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 09:07:21 am »

It is also a question if the rules will allow tossing all those statues in the smelter in the second year. That is possibly the easiest accessible metal right now.

Yup, there is no need to keep them constructed for round 2, however, a little birdie told me that metal might not be nearly as relevant in the second round.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2020, 09:36:04 am »

I will play. Though I won't Roleplay anything. Only casual screenshots.
And since work is a little time-consuming, I probably won't save-scum as much as the others did. But my superdwarven skills will overcome the savescummers !
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:57:04 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2020, 10:50:14 am »

I'll play again.

I'm somewhat curious why both magma entries seems to have built most (all?) their statues on the same level, instead of going up, closer to the forges.

My sense was that it was more important to minimize haul distance of the statues rather than for other tasks (sleep, eat, drink), although neither seems to be a major factor, being beat by migrant count and skill instead.

I wish you could assign wheelbarrows to workshops.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »

I'm up for round 2. The funny thing is that no one is particularly upset or unhappy. The undead have numbed them to dead bodies, and the lack of any furniture is made up for by their awe from being in a legendary sculpture garden littered with masterworks.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2020, 04:08:07 pm »

I'll play again.

I'm somewhat curious why both magma entries seems to have built most (all?) their statues on the same level, instead of going up, closer to the forges.

My sense was that it was more important to minimize haul distance of the statues rather than for other tasks (sleep, eat, drink), although neither seems to be a major factor, being beat by migrant count and skill instead.

I wish you could assign wheelbarrows to workshops.

The reason for building them on the same level is that the production and ore procurement are the main bottlenecks. Furniture hauling is a last step that any number of dwarves can do in parallel and only mattered for the last few constructions which I designated upstairs. It was also easier to count that way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24