Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29700 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and there was an adamantine battleaxe artefact. Cheatin' dwarves.
Whaaaaaaaa??

Nice work sticking with the challenge, sort of kind of lol.  Is anyone else still in this round, or can I tally the two submissions so far so we can move onto better and brighter things?

If mine is the winning save.. there might be a lot of slicin' in the future...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still around (I think we have untill monday?)

And on the topic of artefacts.. well.. ehm

Oh dear...

holy crap LOL radipon's anger knows no bounds.

Applet, that axe is ridiculously expensive and probably OP as hell. I hope you win!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

"The Reticence of Bears" - that axe is so menacing that it makes bears think twice about attacking.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

No need to wait for my entry. Changes at work have left me too bushed to put any time into ye olde fort, and having an avatar that's on the brink of killing herself through insanity or loyalty conflict has not helped with the ol' motivation.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I' ll upload my save this evening, I' m at the start of winter now.
Can old players pick a new character in a new round? It looks like the older players might survive my round, but if he does survive Radipon will still be an inch away from snapping, which seems a bit unfair. Also looking at my save applet is most likely to win, but applet_the_cat might tip over from old age in a few rounds.. how old do DF Cats get anyhow?

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can old players pick a new character in a new round? It looks like the older players might survive my round, but if he does survive Radipon will still be an inch away from snapping, which seems a bit unfair. Also looking at my save applet is most likely to win, but applet_the_cat might tip over from old age in a few rounds.. how old do DF Cats get anyhow?

applet_the_cat is not my official 'dwarf' - as posted at the beginning of my play.

And yes, you can change dwarf at start of round.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome work everyone, sorry to those who had to drop out during this round. Hopefully steam DF brings with it some changes to the encrusting and adornment workflows, as right now they are punishing at best.

Can old players pick a new character in a new round? It looks like the older players might survive my round, but if he does survive Radipon will still be an inch away from snapping, which seems a bit unfair.

Yes absolutely! Radipon, or anyone really, can reapply their name to a more sane dwarf. That way you can't get stuck in an unwinnable state by the previous save owner.

I will have a writeup in the next few days, Wednesday at the latest. With this (shorter) writeup I will post the next round's scoring item, too.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The year has already come to a close. There were highlights, but also great dissapointments.
About the dissapointments. After Radipon had raided those necromancer slabs I had expected we would all leave our mortal past behind, and ascend to something greater.
Alas, it was not to be! We have as of yet been unable to decipher the arcane writings on these tablets, and the power over life and death remains beyond our reach!

The only way this can be remedied is by honouring the death godess, Vesh herself. In years before my time, the metalsmiths have crafted many statues in her honour, but there was not yet a temple dedicated to her great power. This has been corrected, and I consider this my greatest accomplishment.

Behold the temple of Vesh!:

So what treasures lie within?

To access the temple one has to pass through the artifact bone door, a fitting entrance to the darkest and most sacred of places. 

Of course the first thing you will see in the temple are the two holy slabs, with the secrets of life and death engraved in them. One day we will unlock their secrets!

In the right wing of the temple the most sacred of artifacts are on display, mighty weapons crafted in the name of Vesh herself:
First and foremost, there is Evilemptied the Brass crypt, the dwarven bone pickaxe. Radipon was possessed my the most sacred of moods,  and carved this weapon from Thīkut Tegirfikod. May Thīkut's sacrifice be always remembered!

Then there is Mooncrossed the Fuchsia Goal, the Cassowary Bone Warhammer, this weapon was carved from the bones of the dead by a mere child, showing the devotion of the future generation. This gives us hope that soon we will master the secrets of life and death!

The Sacrifice fo Thīkut, whose bones were carved into the artifact pickaxe will not be forgotten, and he lies entombed within the temple. With his bones, we will strike the earth, with his bones we will find salvation.

Then there are the most priced and valuable items of the fortress. We have thought long and hard on how we could please the Death God, besides with sacrifice and death. The answer was music. For a year, dwarves have worked tirelessly to construct the most elaborate and complex instruments, forged from both raw and worked adamantine, platinum and gold. Decorated with electrum, gems and bone.
Three of these musical "instruments of death" have been put on display, though many more can be found in the fortress.  (consider these my submission for this turn, they are in the temple of Vesh, which can be found under hotkey "F6"<- I messed this up. The temple is in the North of the map on level 147)

-------------------
The save game can be found here
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15245

some notes on the playthrough:
I did not have dfhack installed, but I destroyed the seeds by using settings in the init file. I did use dwarf therapist.
I got lucky and there were no invasions or monsters during my turn ( I did have them enabled in the init file, but I just got a few pitifull kobold raids)
I wasted all the adamantine I could get on useless instruments. There might be more adamantine, but I did not dare to dig deeper.
I did not savescum. Not all my submitted items were masterwork quality because I never succeeded in leveling up my metalcrafter, and I have some doubts if instruments were a good choice, but it was fun.

Some warnings about the save game:
-I messed up, and we are apparently now at war with another dwarven civ as I explained in my first post.
-I did mess a lot with stockpile links etc to try to get decorations under control, which I never achieved. It was a mess. There's a good chance there are still some stockpiles linked, you may want to reset them.
-Several villages were founded in winter that are economically linked to us.
-I apparently failed to construct a large number of guild halls, because I was not aware they were needed. I only constructed those that were requested during my turn, so many remain unbuild.
-I never set up proper rooms for the nobles.
-I never did properly train the military. Some iron armor was created. We have three artifact weapons though! the two bone artifacts mentioned, and in addition, to my great surprise, a planter created an
artifact adamantine crossbow in my last month.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:04:26 pm by Bralbaard »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think the meta went clear ass backwards on this one..
Ledpaddled

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I had some hope that instruments that were composed of multiple adamantine components would be high enough in value to beat the known high value items. It appears that this is not the case and that complex instruments are actually worth less than simple ones. Also, adding decorations is hardly worth the effort. I still got some good ones though, but I just saw your secret upload. Congratulations Applet! :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:27:01 pm by Bralbaard »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I had some hope that instruments that were composed of multiple adamantine components would be high enough in value to beat the known high value items. It appears that this is not the case and that complex instruments are actually worth less than simple ones. Also, adding decorations is hardly worth the effort. I still got some good ones though, but I just saw your secret upload. Congratulations Applet! :)
I still believe that decorated items do win eventually, but not in 1 year. Especially not without decoration skills. The instruments seemed to me to only count quality for 1 of the items? Not sure. Scrolls also work in ways I didn't expect.

To be honest though, value of trap components is just broken imo. I get that size should play a role in the calculation, but then it should also be reflected in material amount. And the "sharp edges" bonus is pure bs.

*caravan arrived* *forgot to make trade goods*
*whip out 10 spiky balls with level 5 carpenter *
*buy all you needed from caravan*

At least my save has a reasonably stable fort..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:50:39 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The instruments seemed to me to only count quality for 1 of the items? Not sure. Scrolls also work in ways I didn't expect.

The following is on the wiki, but I am quite sure it is incorrect: A completely assembled instrument has a very high base item value. The quality of the overall item is determined by the quality of the "main" part, from which the instrument takes its description, e.g. a superior quality black bronze stelid.
The above made me believe that if you had a masterwork version of the main body of the instrument ready, the constructed instrument would also be masterwork. It simply did not work like that. The skill of the person doing the final assembly, and a good dose of luck, appear to determine the quality of the instrument. This is terrible, as a lot of work goes into making all the instrument pieces, and you can't just melt it down and try again as you would with other items. I constructed a lot of crappy instruments untill I got lucky and got my only masterwork one.
It had a value of 189960 urists. Assuming masterwork quality and adamantine, that works out to a base value for the instrument of 52 and something. So the mentioned very high base value for assembled complex instruments is somewhat misleading, as a one-piece instrument already has a base value of 50. At best the other components of the instrument count as decorations, the way the item name of the finished instrument is displayed also suggests this. I had hoped the other components would contribute in a more significant way to item value.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:25:26 am by Bralbaard »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's pretty interesting. I went for "cloth" goods because they can be decorated the most times - but really the value numbers weren't there. Masterwork additions are worthwhile, but most gems aren't, and all cloth/leather/bone shouldn't be used at all.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Applet's turn:

9 dead. 5.5 million dwarfbucks. 3 mean serrated discs sit in a modest shrine just below the surface. Two of these discs are masterpieces, and all together are worth an astounding 1096200 BUCKS. They were all crafted by Applet.

An orderly series of rooms can be found nearby, as well as a chamber of turkeys, who have been kept in a dank chamber for years and have long since forgotten the feeling of sunlight on their feathers.

Hordes of goblins can be seen in the distance, cooking over fires, waiting for the chance to attack.

Applet is seen 150 layers below, weaving the shining teal thread of Adamantine.

A true creator, this one.

Applet has been declared Winner of the Third Round! He has also won the Creator award, for having fashioned all three winning objects with his own dwarf hands.

==========================================================
Bralbaards turn:

Bralbaards fortress is an exercise in beauty, for sure.

Many unique forms and constructions can be found within the depths of the mountain:

A structure, on the surface:

His artifacts were three wonderfully built instruments, two adorned with gems and stone carved into intricate imagery. Worth 371590 altogether.

One has been carved by Spriggans, and it's value is appropriate:

Total fortress value sits at 3.8 million. Only 5 dead, and there are SO many turkeys it could make a man cry. In fact, where did I put those tissues?!

Bralbaard has won the 'Aesthetic' award for the subtle eye with which he has designed his fortress.

Delphonso's turn:

A completely clean surface greets visitors to Delphonso's timeline.

Through a large gate, down past a long hallway of bedrooms, and into a tidy little manufacturing and living area.

Everything has it's place here, even the turkeys, though they could use a little more honestly. Don't you ever think about what THEY feel??

And then, a staircase all the way down to the magma. It looks like Del managed to wall off part of the cavern, very nice! But where's the artifact room??

It took me a bit to find this, it was stuck on the far side of Spriggan's gigantic booze pile. A modest affair, with room for the selected artifacts of course:

A backpack, a quiver, and a absurd totem made from the skull of cat, and inlaid with rare metals. Not bad equipment for an adventurer, honestly, though the cat skull totem is a bit strange.

8 dead, 900000 total wealth, and a final score of 25400, Del brings in the rear, but considering half the participants dropped out for various reasons, still manages 3rd place and the corresponding bronze medal. Which actually isn't a thing. Still though.

Delphonso wins the "Neat Freak" award for the relative cleanliness of the place.

Congratulations to applet for winning the third round! Glory and praise! Glory and Praise!

And thanks to all who participated despite the horrors of micromanagement. Turns out, all that work didn't matter anyways because the winner just made some sharp pizza pans and swept house. Oh well lol. Note to self: ban trap components next time. .

================

The following round will commence NOW. Players will be given 1 week, until 7:00 AM PST Thursday, October 22nd, though we can give extensions.

For round 4, we're bringing back the mass production, but with a twist:

With goblins at the gates, it's time to arm our non-existent militia! Variety will be key. Create as many weapons of as many kinds as possible. Axes, swords, crossbows, you name it, all will count towards victory. Each player who makes the most of any given weapon type will earn 1 point. All points earned will be totalled, and the player with the most won categories will be declared victor! In case of a tie for category, points will be awarded to both players. In case of a tie for overall winner, the highest weapon count from any category will act as a tiebreaker.

So, to specify,  only the following 7 weapon types will be judged, for a total 7 points possible.

Weapons can be made from any material. No training weapons, foreign weapons, or bolts will be counted.

Yes, this will be difficult to count. So be it, in the name of competition, sacrifices MUST be made.

Don't forget to pm me or post which dwarf you have selected for this following year, and if you wish, you can re-dwarf yourself at this time.

SAVE is HERE good LUCK!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Praise applet for the correct strategy! Well done! I love the fort layout, Bralbaard.

I'll be away from my computer for a couple days this week - so I'll try to enter, but am not sure if I'll be able to.

Do traded weapons count if they are not foreign?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24