Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 29024 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Numbercurse - Competitive Succession Game - Round 4 In-Progress - Join Now!
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2020, 03:53:17 am »

Thank you, Spriggans!

I picked 'your' dwarf because (s?)he likes armor items, and the fort is very short on armor items. Or, for that matter, quality metals... We could make bronze quickly; I did smelt a respectable amount of tin (I never restricted the ore stockpile to the 'useful' ores, so the cassiterite piled up quickly). Steel would be more difficult - all the flux stone needs to be hauled down some 150-160 levels, for a start - but we're not missing anything.

Yep, I really went all smithies. But mostly I wanted a nice and proper smithing complex; I would have made one as far back as the booze challenge, but there was no time. What's a dwarven fort without a smithy?

My building style. I tend to build very near the central stairway, and move very little horizontally; 30-40 tiles tops. If I want some other complex, I'll put it on another level. Conversely, I use large rooms in both housing and crafting because I don't usually engrave, and because I rely on heavily restricted stockpiles for item sorting - my fort regularly has stockpiles which are only allowed one type of item.

The downstairs colony is really something I should have thought about sooner; not like it's the first time I made one.

Overall, I noted dwarves are advancing in ranks very slowly. The masons have gone up 4-5 levels only, the armorer was cranking out armor for two months and was still level 6. Either dwarves are not working as much as they should, or the skill increase was nerfed a bit.

I won't make any statements on FPS: I cap mine at 50 so I can see what the little bastards are doing, and I never had any issues with it on this laptop. The only fort where I saw FPS dip was SmithSoldier, and even then it was around 40; unless thee was a siege on the map, then it went to about 25-30.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2020, 04:30:48 am »

About the lag :  I play with my compagny's laptop. Its beefy enough that I didnt suffer FPS drop.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2020, 11:45:23 pm »

My PC is likely to be the worst of the lot and the fort is currently okay - a bit slow but not impossible to play by any means. In two turns or so, that might change - no idea how much time I'll have to play anyway in the upcoming weeks.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2020, 05:41:53 pm »

StrikaAmaru's Turn:

The forges, 13, and the smelters, 8, rest over a canal of magma.

To the left you can see the old statues from round 1, still waiting to be reclaimed.

All the booze has been smushed into one corner. Look at it all!

Please note the following room, and reflect on how happy those birds look. Correlation DOES mean causation, when it comes to turkeys:

An invading force of gobbos waits patiently in the northwest corner.

Strika produced or salvaged around 3,700 total weapons during his turn.

11 axes, including the legendary Zizcun Uvel, a wondrous weapon I wanted to highlight again:

670 picks, made of copper
733 swords
4 hammers, though I'm pretty sure these are currently in the hands of the invading goblins.
847 spears
1436 maces
7 crossbows

Thus, Strika earned 4 total points, and has been declared Winner of the Fourth Round. The magnanimous Strika, with the wings of an angel and the cunning of a tiger, has visited upon us a most glorious and graceful victory. Glory and praise to this one most regal! Strika has also earned the title Forgemaster for his outstanding performance as weapon smith.

Spriggans' Turn:

A small microcline keep protects the surface:

An interesting and tidy set of bedrooms has ample space for resting dwarves:

At the deepest extent of the fortress is a large obsidian generator, built to the latest specifications:

Spriggans produced or salvaged around 2,100 total weapons during his turn.

30 axes, including the legendary Zizcun Uvel
22 picks, some heavily decorated
196 swords, most made of steel-sharp volcanic obsidian
1033 hammers
163 spears
51 maces
594 crossbows, made from the bones of a huge variety of local endagered species, including the veritable TURKUS BESTUS, a super-rare variety of local bird. Shame on you, Spriggans. Shame.

Spriggan's thus earned 2 points. Spriggan's has earned the title Magma Engineer for his intelligent manipulation of the earth's mantle.

Delphonso's Turn:

A moderately sized smithy at the bottom of the staircase:

Many of the Vesh statues have been melted:

This is a pile of over 1500 weapons:

There are no animals but APPLET the Catverlord. I thought you guys understood this: NO TURKEYS = NO WIN. That's the formula for failure, I tell you.

Delphonso produced or salvaged around 1,500 total weapons during his turn.

365 axes, including the legendary Zizcun Uvel, but you already knew that
277 picks
11 swords
364 hammers
10 spears
485 maces
5 crossbows

Delphonso earned 1 point, but what a point it was! Delphonso has earned the title Irreverent for his destruction of Vesh's sacred statues.

Well done all, thanks for playing. I liked this scoring method, with point categories, so we might see a return of this style in the coming round. See the next post for round 5 scoring conditions, which I am constructing now. Something sparkles in the darkness, what could it be . . .?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »

Well, I'm glad I squeezed out one point. All hail StrikaAmaru: Weaponlord!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2020, 02:38:28 am »

Whoa! I did not expect to get all four points; maybe 2 or 3, but not all 4!

Salmeuk, I've been meaning to ask you: what tile set are you using? I want to give it a shot, it's less busy than Phoebus and not as eye-straining as ye olde ASCII.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2020, 03:21:47 am »

Yeah... We screwed ourselves by killing the turkeys. Do not touch them. These are cursed.

And I only made 200 obsidian swords... Wow that is a slow process...
I'm glad I squeezed 2 points, but Strika was just on another planet here ! Glory and Praise !

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2020, 03:54:04 am »

Save the turkeys, win the round. Next round - most turkeys born.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2020, 12:16:29 pm »

Well done Strika
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 01, 2020, 04:45:13 pm »

Ah, my apologies for the unintended hiatus, work was bleh, also I was unhappy with the scoring ideas I was coming up with. I was originally planning on doing something gem-related, but it didn't feel interesting enough to me. Last night I had a better idea:

Train and craft, forge and grow! The overseer who controls the highest number of legendary dwarves at the end of the year will be announced winner! If a citizen dwarf possesses ANY skill that has reached 'Legendary' they are considered to be a single point. In the case of a tie, any dwarf possessing TWO or MORE legendary skills will be counted as additional points.

Simple enough, eh? I can see a couple potential strategies for success. Here is some sparse info from the wiki:

1.All skills take (400 + 100 * the new level) experience points to gain a level, meaning Novice takes 500 experience points, and reaching Legendary from Grand Master takes 1900 experience points, or 18000 total experience.

2.Dwarves which are suffering from various status ailments will have all of their skill levels reduced, causing them to work slower and produce lower-quality goods where relevant (anyone familiar with the story of Smallhands will already know this skill drop is FATAL)

I count 14 legendaries on the current save. At popcap is 100, that can be considered the max score. Do note that long-term guests like Lurit the Legendary Human Fishcleaner will not count for total score. I will be jumping in this round, too!

ALSO note that I believe the Masons and the Miners are potentially nerfed. Like, modded. . . I can't find where I read this now, I believe it was Strika, but one of you pointed out that the masons and the miners had some painfully slow skill gain. Well, that made me realize I might have generated Numbercurse with modified SKILL_RATE tags. I was experimenting with nerfing skill gain, you see, so I remember I had a modded file with MASON and MINER skill rate gain dropped by like 50%. Perhaps this file was copied into the vanilla game folder I had used for generation. It was only when one of you pointed it out that I realized. . . OOPS. This is not confirmed, as I couldn't find the SKILL_RATE tag in the save's objects folder, but the possibility is there.

As a result I will suggest not pursuing legendaries in those two skill categories.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2020, 03:23:45 am »

ALSO note that I believe the Masons and the Miners are potentially nerfed.

As a result I will suggest not pursuing legendaries in those two skill categories.

Ahahah ! Nice try Salmeuk... Nice try !
Since you said you were playing this round, I believe that is your strategy to get us not to train Mason/Miners !
I'm pretty sure you modded them so they grow exceptionnaly quickly, and you don't want anyone to notice while you take an easy win. ;)
You almost got us ! But I ain't no fool ! ::)

Okay now, maybe I'll join. Maybe not. Expect a ghost turn from me this time.

Ho BTW :
THIS IS THE SAVE
for year 5, after Strika's turn
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:28:17 am by Spriggans »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:16 am »

I might join, but I will also have to take my turn for the museum game this week, so no promises. What is the deadline?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2020, 12:08:45 pm »

I have a question: do legendary military skills count? We have no legendary murder balls (the highest military skill is 5 in a swordsdwarf), but we do have a distinct bend towards militarization lately...

And somewhat related: is the ban on raiding/missions still on?

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2020, 12:15:02 pm »

The rules also don't mention dangerrooms or spike of enlightenment etc...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2020, 03:17:13 am »

I remember hearing somewhere on the forum that dangerrooms didn't work anymore, don't remember why they don't though.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24