Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with DFhack  (Read 2353 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with DFhack
« on: September 13, 2020, 01:47:27 pm »

So I wanted to try installing DFhack and everything went fine, I downloaded it and extracted it into my DF folder, but according to the DF wiki, there's supposed to be  a sdl.dll file that comes with the DFhack and that I'm supposed to overwrite the regular sdl file with the hack one. But I cannot find this file anywhere and nothing else seems to work. Please help.

(Yeah I accidently posted this in the wrong area before, I locked it when I realized)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with DFhack
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:18:58 pm »

You should have overwritten it when you extracted the archive. If DFHack is working, don't worry about it.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:22:30 pm »

You should have overwritten it when you extracted the archive. If DFHack is working, don't worry about it.

That's the thing, it's not working, It says a new window is supposed to open when you launch Dwarf Fortress, but that doesn't happen either. When I extract it, am I supposed to create a new folder for DFhack in my DF folder, or just dump the hack stuff into the DF folder with everything else?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 03:00:18 pm »

Extract everything in the DF directory (where Dwarf Fortress.exe and SDL.dll are).

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »

Does DFhack work on windows 10? If no then that's probably what's going on and I was just never noticed. If that's not the problem then I don't know why it won't work.
GENERATION 30:

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:30:42 pm »

DFHack does work with Windows 10.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of DFHack: windows, 32/64 bits according to your DF version? Do you use the SDL or legacy version of DF? DFhack won't work with the legacy version (because of the missing SDL.dll).

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 03:35:50 pm »

I honestly have no idea how to use github, I just downloaded the latest version of dfhack.
GENERATION 30:

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 03:36:19 pm »

And yeah, I have the latest version of Dwarf Fortress
GENERATION 30:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 04:27:00 pm »

And yeah, I have the latest version of Dwarf Fortress
"Latest" means absolutely nothing - we want the actual version number.

That also does not answer Clément's second question, which is very important:
Do you use the SDL or legacy version of DF? DFhack won't work with the legacy version (because of the missing SDL.dll).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 04:30:14 pm »

DFHack does work with Windows 10.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of DFHack: windows, 32/64 bits according to your DF version? Do you use the SDL or legacy version of DF? DFhack won't work with the legacy version (because of the missing SDL.dll).

Ok then

I have 47.04, and for dfhack I downloaded the 47.04 r2 one. I am using SDL, not legacy.
Is that everything?
GENERATION 30:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:25 pm »

I have 47.04, and for dfhack I downloaded the 47.04 r2 one. I am using SDL, not legacy.

In that case, the in-game "About DF" option (from the main menu) should display 4 copyright notices (one in White for DF itself, one in Teal for FMOD, one in Purple for SDL, and one in Green for FreeType), and there should have been a file named "SDL.dll" in Dwarf Fortress's main directory (i.e. in the same location as "Dwarf Fortress.exe" itself).

To which directory did you extract the DFHack ZIP file (containing, among other things, the directory "hack" and the files "SDL.dll" and "SDLreal.dll")?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:29:11 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »

I finally got it to work!

So what I had been doing wrong...well I was downloading the source code instead of the actual asset file. Once I figured that out I grabbed the right file and it worked perfectly fine.
GENERATION 30: